|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the date that Joncour gets off the train to open the eggs on his fourth trip?
(a) June 1st. 1865.
(b) August 15th, 1865.
(c) July 13th, 1865.
(d) May 6th, 1865.
2. What is the boy playing who accompanies Joncour to find Hara Kei on the fourth trip to Japan?
(a) A trumpet.
(b) A harmonica.
(c) A guitar.
(d) A reed instrument.
3. What activities do Helene and Joncour do while staying at the villa?
(a) They gamble.
(b) They sit on the shore and soak up the sun.
(c) They dance the nights away.
(d) They take carriage rides and explore the town.
4. Why does Baldabiou NOT want to send Joncour back to Japan for a fourth trip?
(a) Because it's so dangerous.
(b) Because he knows Joncour is having an affair.
(c) Because he is in love with Helene.
(d) Because he does not want to pay him.
5. In his later years, what does Joncour never do?
(a) He lives in a villa at the beach on the Riviera.
(b) He never travels and never leaves his house.
(c) He travels to Japan many times trying to find the mistress.
(d) He moves to China.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many days does Joncour wait for Hara Kei's emissary on the fourth trip?
2. For the letters to be translated, Joncour must promise what?
3. To Hara Kei, what is the boy who helps Joncour find the procession?
4. What does Madame Blanche say about Japan?
5. When the boy appears in the village of Hara Kei on the fourth trip, what does he give to Joncour?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do you think Madame Blanche wants to forget about her native language? Why does she make Joncour promise to never return to her for a translation?
2. Why do Joncour and Helene name a daughter Agnes? What is this referring to? Who is this a tribute to?
3. What does Joncour mean when he says to the Englishman, "We are all marvelous, and we are all revolting"?
4. The envelope that Joncour receives is mailed from Ostend, which is in Belgium. Who do you think sent the letters knowing this information?
5. Why does Joncour sit by the lake on windy days after the death of his wife? Has the meaning of the ripples on the water changed for him?
6. Why does Joncour fire his gun on the way out of town and startle the birds? What is he saying, and to whom? Who will get his message?
7. What does Joncour hear as Hara Kei hold the gun to his head? Describe the sounds of what is happening around him.
8. On the fourth trip to Japan, describe the young boy that Joncour follows? What is he playing? Why would he play music as they wander through the villages?
9. Why does Helene pretend not to notice the letters when they are clearly in plain sight?
10. What does Joncour know about the Englishman they meet at the Riviera at the baron's birthday party? What is he wearing? Why is he upset when he looks at his wife and the Englishman?
This section contains 1,366 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)