|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. For the letters to be translated, Joncour must promise what?
(a) That he'll never return.
(b) That he'll never ask about Japan.
(c) That he'll pay money.
(d) That he'll sleep with Madame Blanche.
2. The morning after the party, who is waiting for Joncour outside of his house?
(b) Hara Kei.
(c) A man with 15 sheets of mulberry bark covered with eggs.
(d) The mistress.
3. How many girls do Helene and Joncour have?
4. On the way home on the third trip, how long does it take Joncour to arrive home?
(a) 1 year.
(b) 41 days.
(c) 3 months.
(d) 1 month.
5. What is the boy playing who accompanies Joncour to find Hara Kei on the fourth trip to Japan?
(a) A trumpet.
(b) A guitar.
(c) A reed instrument.
(d) A harmonica.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who wrote the letters to Joncour?
2. When Joncour gets off the train and opens the eggs on his way home on the fourth trip, what does he find?
3. What does Joncour draw designs for after he buys the other house?
4. When Joncour leaves town on his third trip, what does he do on the way out of town?
5. Where do the two Italians get good eggs from?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Joncour mean when he says to the Englishman, "We are all marvelous, and we are all revolting"?
2. What does Joncour know about the Englishman they meet at the Riviera at the baron's birthday party? What is he wearing? Why is he upset when he looks at his wife and the Englishman?
3. What happens the morning after Hara Kei's party? Why do you think Hara Kei left? How does Joncour find the aviary? What is this saying to Joncour?
4. Why does Joncour fire his gun on the way out of town and startle the birds? What is he saying, and to whom? Who will get his message?
5. Why do you think Madame Blanche wants to forget about her native language? Why does she make Joncour promise to never return to her for a translation?
6. On his final trip to Madame Blanche's, what does she tell Joncour about his wife that he did not know?
7. On the fourth trip to Japan, describe the young boy that Joncour follows? What is he playing? Why would he play music as they wander through the villages?
8. On his fourth trip to Japan, what does Joncour find when he arrives at Hara Kei's village? How does he see the village? What is the state of the village a symbol of?
9. On the fourth trip to Japan, what does the young boy offer Joncour to get him to follow him? Who is this boy? Who sent him? Why is he in the village alone?
10. When Joncour arrives home nine days late, what does he ask of his wife? Why does he ask her this?
This section contains 1,448 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)