|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Joncour find when he arrives at the port of Shirakawa on his fourth (last) trip to Japan?
(a) Half of the port is destroyed.
(b) The water is too high and there is flooding.
(c) All of the ships are crowded.
(d) The boats are all gone.
2. In his later years, what does Joncour never do?
(a) He never travels and never leaves his house.
(b) He moves to China.
(c) He lives in a villa at the beach on the Riviera.
(d) He travels to Japan many times trying to find the mistress.
3. Where does Joncour take the letter to be translated?
(a) Madame Blanche's.
4. What does Joncour do in the house he buys?
(a) He re-paints.
(b) He sits.
(c) He cleans it up.
(d) He empties it out.
5. Who is the youngest daughter named after?
(a) The Mother Mary.
(b) Saint Agnes.
(c) Helene's mother.
(d) Joncour's mother.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Joncour gets off the train and opens the eggs on his way home on the fourth trip, what does he find?
2. As Joncour and the boy travel from the burned village of Hara Kei, what are people doing in the villages?
3. What tone are the letters written in?
4. As Joncour stands on the side of the road with the boy, and the procession is leaving, what does Hara Kei do to Joncour?
5. On the fourth trip to Japan, how does Joncour finally get silk eggs?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did the changes in the world described in Chapter 54 change Joncour's world? How did these changes affect the silk trade? Explain.
2. Helene runs after Baldabiou at the train station and they embrace and she cries. What does this tell the reader about their relationship? Do you think something happened?
3. What does Joncour hear as Hara Kei hold the gun to his head? Describe the sounds of what is happening around him.
4. Why do you think Madame Blanche wants to forget about her native language? Why does she make Joncour promise to never return to her for a translation?
5. Why does Helene pretend not to notice the letters when they are clearly in plain sight?
6. Why does Joncour take Baldabiou to the house of Jean Berbeck that he buys? What is he looking for? Why does he think that Baldabiou will understand?
7. What does Joncour mean when he says to the Englishman, "We are all marvelous, and we are all revolting"?
8. On the fourth trip to Japan, describe the young boy that Joncour follows? What is he playing? Why would he play music as they wander through the villages?
9. The letter describes a sexual encounter but eludes to fact that it has already happened? What does this mean?
10. When Joncour's wife asks about the aviary, what does he say to her? What do you think she is thinking about her husband's actions? Do you think she is aware that something is going on?
This section contains 1,480 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)