|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When the boy appears in the village of Hara Kei on the fourth trip, what does he give to Joncour?
(a) An exotic bird.
(b) A blue flower.
(c) Joncour's glove.
(d) Mulberry bark.
2. When, according to Joncour, should birds be released from an aviary?
(a) When the birds are mature.
(b) When the afternoon sun looks red.
(c) When the tide turns.
(d) When something wonderful happens.
3. In his later years, what does Joncour never do?
(a) He moves to China.
(b) He travels to Japan many times trying to find the mistress.
(c) He never travels and never leaves his house.
(d) He lives in a villa at the beach on the Riviera.
4. Where do the two Italians get good eggs from?
5. Who builds Joncour's park?
(a) Out-of-work mill workers.
(b) Local builders.
(c) Polish workers.
(d) He hires Spanish architects and workers.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Joncour travel north on his way home from the fourth trip to Japan?
2. Where is Madame Blanche living at the end of the novel?
3. Where does Joncour say the eggs hatched on his return fourth trip from Japan?
4. When Joncour arrives at the empty house of Hara Kei the morning after the party, what does he find in the aviary?
5. What does Joncour hear when the procession with the mistress goes by him?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do you think Madame Blanche wants to forget about her native language? Why does she make Joncour promise to never return to her for a translation?
2. Why does Helene pretend not to notice the letters when they are clearly in plain sight?
3. For the fourth trip to Japan, who makes the decision to go? Why is this startling? Why does Baldabiou lie to everyone except Helene about the trip?
4. When Joncour arrives home nine days late, what does he ask of his wife? Why does he ask her this?
5. What does Joncour hear as Hara Kei hold the gun to his head? Describe the sounds of what is happening around him.
6. When Joncour finally tells Baldabiou about the girl in Japan he says, "To die of nostalgia for something you will never live," what does he mean?
7. Why does Joncour sit by the lake on windy days after the death of his wife? Has the meaning of the ripples on the water changed for him?
8. Helene runs after Baldabiou at the train station and they embrace and she cries. What does this tell the reader about their relationship? Do you think something happened?
9. On his final trip to Madame Blanche's, what does she tell Joncour about his wife that he did not know?
10. What does Joncour know about the Englishman they meet at the Riviera at the baron's birthday party? What is he wearing? Why is he upset when he looks at his wife and the Englishman?
This section contains 1,392 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)