|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Other than money, what does Joncour have for his trip to Japan?
(a) His luggage.
(b) The names of 3 men: a Chinaman, Dutchman and Japanese man.
(c) Passage already booked ahead of time.
(d) A good map.
2. What color dress is Hara Kei's mistress wearing when Joncour arrives and they are sitting at the lake?
3. What was Joncour wearing the first time Baldabiou saw him?
(a) Work overalls.
(c) A suit.
(d) A uniform.
4. How does Joncour get across the Japanese harbor?
(a) On a Dutch smuggler's ship.
(b) He swims.
(c) In a small one-mast Chinese ship.
(d) In a canoe.
5. How far away is China from Japan?
(a) 2000 miles.
(b) 200 miles.
(c) 20 miles.
(d) 1000 miles.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of living does Joncour make with the silk trade?
2. How far does Joncour travel for eggs on his first trip outside of Europe?
3. Once Europe has been exhausted of silk eggs, where does Joncour go for eggs first?
4. What year is it when the novel begins?
5. What business is downstairs that Madame Blanche also owns?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Helene described? What is her most important attribute?
2. When Joncour turns 33-years-old, how does the author describe his life? How is peace compared to rain? Why do you think the author used this description?
3. How many silk eggs can you hold in your hands? Why did they refer to this as "a fortune in your hands"?
4. After Joncour is given the note, he stops for a moment on his way out of town when leaving for home. Why does he stop? What is he doing? What is he thinking? What message is he trying to convey?
5. What does Helene do with the silk scarf her husband brings home to her? Why does she react that way? What do you think Helene senses about her husband?
6. Why are the silkworms of Japan not affected by disease? What is their history of trade?
7. How does Baldabiou convince the Mayor to establish factories that produce silk? How does money play into the decision for Baldabiou? How does money affect the decision of the Mayor?
8. What is the symbolism of the exotic birds kept caged at the house of Hara Kei? What does this tell Joncour? What else does Joncour see at Hara Kei's house?
9. How does Joncour observe life? Why is this significant?
10. Why does Madame Blanche tell Joncour that the girl will not die without him? Is she trying to help him? What does she know that he does not?
This section contains 987 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)