|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How much money does Joncour have for his trip to Japan?
(a) 80,000 francs in gold.
(b) One million francs.
(c) 10,000 dollars.
(d) 20 yen.
2. Where does Joncour take his wife on their first summer trip in the novel?
(a) To Paris.
(b) To Japan.
(c) To the French Riviera.
(d) To Egypt.
3. At the house of Hara Kei, what does he have caged near the entrance?
(b) Exotic birds.
4. When Hara Kei was a child, his father told him to shoot an arrow into the air. What was Hara Hei supposed to do after that?
(a) Get the dead bird.
(b) Follow the flight of the arrow to find his fortune.
(c) Shoot another arrow in the opposite direction.
(d) Watch it disappear from view.
5. Who gives Joncour his bath?
(a) 3 women with white painted faces.
(b) 3 men with scarves over their faces.
(c) 1 man servant.
(d) Hara Kei.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Joncour wearing on the last leg of the journey into Japan?
2. What did Baldabiou ask Joncour about when he returned from Egypt?
3. Who bands together to pay for Joncour's expedition to Japan?
4. What does Madame Blanche say the note reads?
5. How does Joncour view life?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe how silk eggs hatch and what happens to them.
2. When Joncour seeks out someone who can translate the note for him, Baldabiou informs him of Madame Blanche, but tells him not to ask her personal questions. Why do you think Baldabiou gives Joncour this suggestion?
3. After Joncour is given the note, he stops for a moment on his way out of town when leaving for home. Why does he stop? What is he doing? What is he thinking? What message is he trying to convey?
4. Do you think Joncour's feminine attributes played into his father's decision that Joncour should pursue a life in the military? What does this say about the character of Joncour's father? What does this say about Joncour?
5. For the third trip to Japan, who decides that Joncour should go? How much say does he have in this decision?
6. After his travels to Africa, how does Joncour describe his trip when someone asks? Why does he not give a better description?
7. How does Baldabiou convince the Mayor to establish factories that produce silk? How does money play into the decision for Baldabiou? How does money affect the decision of the Mayor?
8. How does Joncour observe life? Why is this significant?
9. Describe the party at Hara Kei's house. Who is there? Are these important people? Why? Why not?
10. Why does the young girl accompanying Hara Kei not have an Asian slant to her eyes? Does this give the reader a clue to her past? What?
This section contains 1,109 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)