|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the piano player say after the end of each song?
(c) "I shall die."
(d) "Pennies from heaven."
2. How often do the servants serve tea to Joncour at the house he stays at in Japan?
(a) Three times a day.
(b) Once a day.
(c) Once in the evening.
(d) Twice a day.
3. What business is downstairs that Madame Blanche also owns?
(a) A ticketing office for ships.
(b) A draper's shop.
(c) A silk shop.
(d) A cigar shop.
4. What animal sculpture does Baldabiou want in the middle of his garden?
(a) A tiger.
(b) A snake.
(c) A dolphin.
(d) A sphinx.
5. Where is the mistress standing when Joncour arrives at Hara Kei's house on the third trip?
(a) At the front door.
(b) With her maid.
(c) In front of the empty cages.
(d) Beside Hara Kei.
Short Answer Questions
1. How far away is China from Japan?
2. What happens to the silk eggs in Europe at the beginning of the novel?
3. What is Madame Blanche wearing the first time Joncour meets her?
4. How does Joncour view life?
5. When does Joncour arrive back in Lavillidieu from Japan?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe how silk eggs hatch and what happens to them.
2. When Hara Kei asks Joncour who he is, what does he tell him? Why does he give so much detail? Is it necessary to tell the whole truth? Why does Joncour do this?
3. For the third trip to Japan, who decides that Joncour should go? How much say does he have in this decision?
4. Why does the mistress bring an Asian girl for Joncour? What is this a symbol of for both of them?
5. What animal does Baldabiou ask about upon Joncour's return from his first trip abroad? What does he do later to pay tribute to these animals? What are these animals a symbol for?
6. What does Helene do with the silk scarf her husband brings home to her? Why does she react that way? What do you think Helene senses about her husband?
7. On his second trip to Japan, Joncour sits at the lake with Hara Kei and they are described as "Holding their peace." What do you think the author means by this? Where else have you heard this expression? Do you think there is a connection between a reference to a wedding and a mistress?
8. How is Helene described? What is her most important attribute?
9. When Hara Kei tells Joncour that the mistress "doesn't speak your language", is he referring to more that French? What is he trying to tell Joncour?
10. Why does Baldabiou share the secrets of silk? What does this say about Baldabiou?
This section contains 1,099 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)