|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many days does Joncour wait for Hara Kei's emissary on the fourth trip?
(a) 1 month.
(b) 41 days.
(c) 5 days.
(d) 1 week.
2. What does Joncour do in the house he buys?
(a) He sits.
(b) He cleans it up.
(c) He re-paints.
(d) He empties it out.
3. When Joncour sees his wife flirt with the Englishman, what happens to him?
(a) He smiles.
(b) He trembles.
(c) He is sad.
(d) He becomes depressed.
4. What does Joncour notice when his wife comes to kiss him goodnight?
(a) That her nightgown falls open.
(b) That her smile is vacant.
(c) That her eyes are brown.
(d) That her hair falls over her shoulder.
5. When Joncour and the boy catch up to the procession of Hara Kei, what travels behind Hara Kei?
(a) A colored carriage.
(c) A bed.
(d) A litter with brightly-colored fabrics.
6. What does Joncour find on Helene's grave 2 months after she dies?
(a) A wreath of blue flowers.
(b) A note.
(c) Red roses.
7. What does Joncour say to Hara Kei on the fourth trip when he makes his offer?
(a) "I can get you to France."
(b) "It is real gold."
(c) "I will buy the girl."
(d) "War is an expensive game. You need me. I need you."
8. What does Joncour see when the procession with the mistress goes by him?
(a) The brightly-colored fabrics.
(b) The flames of war.
(c) The blue of the sky.
(d) The mistress' eyes.
9. What does Joncour draw designs for after he buys the other house?
(a) An aviary.
(b) A cloister.
(c) A chapel.
(d) A garden.
10. What is the Englishman, who sits next to Helene at the event, wearing in his lapel?
(a) A diamond watch.
(b) A gold watch.
(c) Little blue flowers.
(d) A handkerchief.
11. What does Baldabiou think Joncour is doing with the house he buys?
(a) That it is a good hobby.
(b) That he's going crazy.
(c) That he's happy at last.
(d) That he's looking for something.
12. When Joncour gets off the train and opens the eggs on his way home on the fourth trip, what does he find?
(a) Millions of larvae dead.
(b) The eggs are fine.
(c) All the eggs smashed.
(d) The eggs are gone.
13. The morning after the party, who is waiting for Joncour outside of his house?
(a) Hara Kei.
(b) A man with 15 sheets of mulberry bark covered with eggs.
(c) The mistress.
14. Where does Joncour say the eggs hatched on his return fourth trip from Japan?
(b) Lake Baikal.
(c) Somewhere in northern China.
15. Who is the youngest daughter named after?
(a) Saint Agnes.
(b) Joncour's mother.
(c) Helene's mother.
(d) The Mother Mary.
Short Answer Questions
1. As Joncour stands on the side of the road with the boy, and the procession is leaving, what does Hara Kei do to Joncour?
2. What is in the sink at the house that Joncour buys?
3. What does Joncour find when he arrives at the port of Shirakawa on his fourth (last) trip to Japan?
4. Where does Joncour take the letter to be translated?
5. When Helene and Joncour see Baldabiou off at the train station, what does Helene do?
This section contains 560 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)