|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Joncour see when the procession with the mistress goes by him?
(a) The brightly-colored fabrics.
(b) The flames of war.
(c) The blue of the sky.
(d) The mistress' eyes.
2. When Baldabiou leaves, what does he give to Joncour?
(a) His house.
(b) His billiards table.
(c) 2 silk mills.
(d) His silk jacket.
3. What does Hara Kei say to Joncour about the fate of the boy who led Joncour to Hara Kei's procession?
(a) The musical instruments are too loud.
(b) That men can be put to death for carrying a message of love.
(c) That the boy loves the mistress.
(d) That the boy belongs to the mistress.
4. After his last trip to Japan, how does the town view Joncour?
(a) He is shunned.
(b) He is a hero.
(c) He is the mayor.
(d) He is admired.
5. What advice does Madame Blanche give to Joncour about the letters?
(a) To return to Japan for the mistress.
(b) To take a long vacation.
(c) To shower his wife with gifts.
(d) To forget the mistress and be happy.
6. How long does Joncour stay at the village of Hara Kei on the fourth trip, surveying the damage?
(a) For a week.
(b) For hours.
(c) He leaves immediately.
(d) For days.
7. What is the date that Joncour gets off the train to open the eggs on his fourth trip?
(a) June 1st. 1865.
(b) May 6th, 1865.
(c) July 13th, 1865.
(d) August 15th, 1865.
8. Where does Joncour say the eggs hatched on his return fourth trip from Japan?
(b) Lake Baikal.
(d) Somewhere in northern China.
9. When Helene vacations with her husband in the villa by the sea, what does she think it will do?
(a) Help her to have a baby.
(b) Help her husband's melancholy humor.
(c) Help her to forget Baldabiou.
(d) Help her to feel younger.
10. What does Joncour say to Hara Kei on the fourth trip when he makes his offer?
(a) "War is an expensive game. You need me. I need you."
(b) "I will buy the girl."
(c) "I can get you to France."
(d) "It is real gold."
11. What does Joncour notice when his wife comes to kiss him goodnight?
(a) That her eyes are brown.
(b) That her smile is vacant.
(c) That her nightgown falls open.
(d) That her hair falls over her shoulder.
12. The morning after Joncour catches up with Hara Kei's procession, what does he find?
(a) Hara Kei hanging from a tree.
(b) The army killing the boy.
(c) The mistress hanging from a tree.
(d) The boy hanging from a tree.
13. When Joncour sees his wife flirt with the Englishman, what happens to him?
(a) He is sad.
(b) He smiles.
(c) He becomes depressed.
(d) He trembles.
14. What does Joncour hear when the procession with the mistress goes by him?
(b) The fabric in the wind.
(c) The music of the musical instrument.
(d) The sound of gunfire.
15. What are the rumors about Joncour when he returns from Japan the fourth time?
(a) That he left his wife.
(b) That he is wealthy because Hara Kei gave him money.
(c) That he is crazy.
(d) The rumors range from swindler to saint.
Short Answer Questions
1. What activities do Helene and Joncour do while staying at the villa?
2. In his later years, what does Joncour do once a year?
3. What do the letters say that are sent to Joncour after his last trip to Japan?
4. When asked about the war in Japan, how does Joncour respond?
5. What does Louis Pasteur decide about the silk egg production in Chapter 41?
This section contains 662 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)