|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Helene ask Joncour to promise before he leaves for his fourth trip to Japan?
(a) To stay if he wants to.
(b) To return.
(c) To return early.
(d) To go through China.
2. What event are Helene and Joncour invited to on the Riviera?
(a) A Russian cleric's reception.
(b) A duke's wedding.
(c) The king's birthday.
(d) An Italian baron's 60th birthday party.
3. When does Joncour go to his park and sit by the lake?
(a) On windy days.
(b) On sunny days.
(c) Only after High Mass.
(d) Only in the Fall.
4. When Baldabiou leaves, what does he give to Joncour?
(a) His billiards table.
(b) His house.
(c) His silk jacket.
(d) 2 silk mills.
5. When Joncour arrives in the village of Hara Kei on the fourth trip, what, in his mind, does he see?
(a) The village as it once was.
(b) The light off the water.
(c) The face of the mistress.
(d) The end of the world.
6. In his later years, what does Joncour do once a year?
(a) Returns to Helene's grave.
(b) Tours the silk mills.
(c) Returns to Japan.
(d) Returns to Madame Blanche.
7. What advice does Madame Blanche give to Joncour about the letters?
(a) To return to Japan for the mistress.
(b) To take a long vacation.
(c) To forget the mistress and be happy.
(d) To shower his wife with gifts.
8. What does Joncour pack the eggs in for his fourth trip home?
(a) His suitcases.
(c) Cardboard boxes.
9. When Joncour leaves town on his third trip, what does he do on the way out of town?
(a) Shoots a sitting bird.
(b) Screams at the top of the hill into the air.
(c) Cries at the last sight of the village.
(d) Shoots his revolver into the air to scare the resting birds.
10. Why does Baldabiou NOT want to send Joncour back to Japan for a fourth trip?
(a) Because it's so dangerous.
(b) Because he does not want to pay him.
(c) Because he knows Joncour is having an affair.
(d) Because he is in love with Helene.
11. What does Hara Kei say to Joncour about the fate of the boy who led Joncour to Hara Kei's procession?
(a) That the boy belongs to the mistress.
(b) That the boy loves the mistress.
(c) The musical instruments are too loud.
(d) That men can be put to death for carrying a message of love.
12. To Hara Kei, what is the boy who helps Joncour find the procession?
(a) He is a spirit to be ignored.
(b) He is the message of love.
(c) He is life itself.
(d) He is the devil.
13. When Joncour arrives at the empty house of Hara Kei the morning after the party, what does he find in the aviary?
(b) The cage is empty.
(c) Small furry animals.
(d) Hundreds of birds.
14. What is the boy playing who accompanies Joncour to find Hara Kei on the fourth trip to Japan?
(a) A trumpet.
(b) A harmonica.
(c) A guitar.
(d) A reed instrument.
15. What does Joncour see when the procession with the mistress goes by him?
(a) The mistress' eyes.
(b) The blue of the sky.
(c) The flames of war.
(d) The brightly-colored fabrics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are the rumors about Joncour when he returns from Japan the fourth time?
2. When Joncour sees his wife flirt with the Englishman, what happens to him?
3. What does Joncour draw designs for after he buys the other house?
4. Who builds Joncour's park?
5. Where does Joncour say the eggs hatched on his return fourth trip from Japan?
This section contains 613 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)