|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is in the sink at the house that Joncour buys?
2. What does Baldabiou think Joncour is doing with the house he buys?
(a) That he's looking for something.
(b) That he's happy at last.
(c) That it is a good hobby.
(d) That he's going crazy.
3. What does Joncour offer Hara Kei when he catches up to him on the fourth trip?
(b) That he will take the mistress and care for her.
(c) Silk eggs.
4. What do the letters say that are sent to Joncour after his last trip to Japan?
(a) They tell Joncour to beware.
(b) They tell Joncour to love his wife.
(c) They are a statement of accounts for Joncour.
(d) They are love letters.
5. Who could Baldabiou NOT tell a lie to about Joncour wanting to go to Japan for the fourth trip?
(b) The mistress.
(d) Madame Blanche.
6. When Joncour and the boy catch up to the procession of Hara Kei, what travels behind Hara Kei?
(a) A bed.
(b) A colored carriage.
(d) A litter with brightly-colored fabrics.
7. After his last trip to Japan, what is Joncour doing when Helene comes to kiss him goodnight?
(a) Staring into space.
(b) Reading the note.
(c) Looking at the letter.
(d) Reading a book.
8. In his later years, what does Joncour never do?
(a) He moves to China.
(b) He lives in a villa at the beach on the Riviera.
(c) He travels to Japan many times trying to find the mistress.
(d) He never travels and never leaves his house.
9. Whose house does Joncour buy?
(a) His father's house.
(b) Helene's parents' house.
(d) Jean Berbeck's.
10. How many days does Joncour wait for Hara Kei's emissary on the fourth trip?
(a) 1 week.
(b) 1 month.
(c) 41 days.
(d) 5 days.
11. When does Joncour go to his park and sit by the lake?
(a) Only after High Mass.
(b) On windy days.
(c) Only in the Fall.
(d) On sunny days.
12. In his later years, what does Joncour do once a year?
(a) Returns to Madame Blanche.
(b) Tours the silk mills.
(c) Returns to Helene's grave.
(d) Returns to Japan.
13. When Joncour arrives in the village of Hara Kei on the fourth trip, what, in his mind, does he see?
(a) The face of the mistress.
(b) The village as it once was.
(c) The end of the world.
(d) The light off the water.
14. For the letters to be translated, Joncour must promise what?
(a) That he'll sleep with Madame Blanche.
(b) That he'll never return.
(c) That he'll pay money.
(d) That he'll never ask about Japan.
15. Why is Joncour drawn to the light on the lake, and what does he think it is?
(a) His own light.
(b) His children.
(c) His life.
(d) His love.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Joncour pack the eggs in for his fourth trip home?
2. On the fourth trip to Japan, how does Joncour finally get silk eggs?
3. When Joncour gets off the train and opens the eggs on his way home on the fourth trip, what does he find?
4. What is the date that Joncour gets off the train to open the eggs on his fourth trip?
5. Who makes the decision to go back to Japan for the fourth trip?
This section contains 560 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)