|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What year is it when the novel begins?
2. How long does Joncour work with the eggs to prepare them for sale?
(a) Not at all.
(b) 2 weeks.
(c) 7 days.
(d) 2 months.
3. What business is downstairs that Madame Blanche also owns?
(a) A cigar shop.
(b) A ticketing office for ships.
(c) A draper's shop.
(d) A silk shop.
4. With whom does Baldabiou play billiards?
(a) The mayor.
5. What work does the Englishman do that Joncour meets in the Japanese village?
(a) He sells furs.
(b) He sells pots and pans.
(c) He sells guns.
(d) He is a silk trader.
6. What happens every time Hara Kei appears?
(a) The servants disappear.
(b) He has the mistress with him.
(c) The servants follow him.
(d) He is always dressed in red.
7. What novel is Flaubert writing at the time in the novel?
(a) God Given Talent.
(b) The Rest Shall Die.
8. What does Hara Kei always call Joncour?
(a) My friend in crime.
(b) My mistress' love.
(c) My French friend.
(d) My foreign friend.
9. To whom did Baldabiou dedicate the building next to the silk factory?
(a) Saint Agnes.
(b) The Holy Mother Mary.
(d) Saint Cecilia.
10. How does Joncour get across the Japanese harbor?
(a) In a small one-mast Chinese ship.
(b) He swims.
(c) On a Dutch smuggler's ship.
(d) In a canoe.
11. What does Joncour drop by the dress as he leaves the lake?
(a) A scarf.
(c) A glove.
(d) A letter.
12. How far away is China from Japan?
(a) 1000 miles.
(b) 20 miles.
(c) 2000 miles.
(d) 200 miles.
13. When Baldabiou assembles all of Lavelledieu's silk manufacturers, what do they think of Japan?
(a) They have never heard of Japan.
(b) They have heard of the Japanese silk.
(c) They know Japan to be dangerous.
(d) They have read about Japan.
14. Where did Baldabiou first see Joncour?
(a) Working in his garden at home.
(b) Outside of church.
(c) Walking past the cafe.
(d) At his father's office.
15. When Joncour arrives at his house in Hara Kei's village on his third trip, he can see Hara Kei's house. What does he notice?
(a) The house looks out over the bay.
(b) The birds are all released.
(c) The house is huge.
(d) The house is orange.
Short Answer Questions
1. How often do the servants serve tea to Joncour at the house he stays at in Japan?
2. What is happening in America at the beginning of the novel?
3. How much money does Joncour have for his trip to Japan?
4. What did Baldabiou show the mayor when he first arrived in town?
5. What does Joncour do for the rest of the year when he's not working?
This section contains 468 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)