|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What color flowers does Madame Blanche wear?
2. What happens to Joncour's neighbor in the end?
(a) His wife and daughters leave him and he dies.
(b) He moves in with Helene and Joncour.
(c) His wife puts him away in a hospital for the insane.
(d) His daughters take care of him until he dies.
3. What does Joncour give to Helene when he returns from Japan on his first trip?
(a) A scarf.
(b) A coat.
(c) A blouse.
(d) A silken tunic.
4. What happens when the mistress sees Joncour at the party?
(a) Their eyes meet across the room.
(b) She walks over to speak to him.
(c) She runs into his arms.
(d) She smiles at him.
5. How long was Japan cut off from the rest of the world?
(a) 20 years.
(b) A century.
(c) 200 years.
(d) A decade.
6. Where does Joncour live?
(a) Over a coffee shop.
(b) In a villa at the beach.
(c) In a house outside of Lavilledieu.
(d) In England.
7. What is Helene's most beautiful attribute?
(a) She has beautiful feet.
(b) She has a beautiful voice.
(c) She has a beautiful face.
(d) She has beautiful hair.
8. Who discourages commercial trade with Japan after Joncour's second trip?
(b) The mayor.
(c) The French consulate.
9. How does Joncour describe Japan when asked after his first trip?
10. What does Hara Kei take Joncour to the top of the hill to see?
(a) The bluebirds.
(b) The view.
(c) The harbor.
(d) The house.
11. At the house of Hara Kei, what does he have caged near the entrance?
(a) Exotic birds.
12. After Hara Kei's mistress dries off Joncour after his bath, what does she put in his hand?
(a) A small bird.
(b) A note with Japanese writing.
(c) A silk egg.
(d) A piece of silk.
13. What would happen to the Japanese if they immigrated?
(a) They would be killed.
(b) They would be jailed.
(c) Nothing. It was not illegal to immigrate.
(d) They could only return on the holidays.
14. What work does the Englishman do that Joncour meets in the Japanese village?
(a) He is a silk trader.
(b) He sells guns.
(c) He sells pots and pans.
(d) He sells furs.
15. Who do the silk manufacturers of Lavilledieu hire to examine the silkworm disease?
(a) Louis Pasteur.
(b) Helene's brother, Dr. Dupre.
(c) An Egyptian scientist.
(d) Gerard Bonavia.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Baldabiou do with all of his secrets about silk?
2. What does Joncour enjoy in life?
3. Other than money, what does Joncour have for his trip to Japan?
4. When Joncour arrives at his house in Hara Kei's village on his third trip, he can see Hara Kei's house. What does he notice?
5. What happens to the town of Lavilledieu when the silk eggs fail?
This section contains 528 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)