|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After Hara Kei's mistress dries off Joncour after his bath, what does she put in his hand?
(a) A note with Japanese writing.
(b) A piece of silk.
(c) A small bird.
(d) A silk egg.
2. What happens to the town of Lavilledieu when the silk eggs fail?
(a) The town has a High Mass to pray for a better year.
(b) It hurts the town financially.
(c) It has little effect on the town, as farming is the main producer.
(d) The town dies completely.
3. When Joncour arrives at his house in Hara Kei's village on his third trip, he can see Hara Kei's house. What does he notice?
(a) The house looks out over the bay.
(b) The birds are all released.
(c) The house is orange.
(d) The house is huge.
4. Who discourages commercial trade with Japan after Joncour's second trip?
(c) The mayor.
(d) The French consulate.
5. What kind of music does the piano player play at Madame Blanche's?
6. When Baldabiou assembles all of Lavelledieu's silk manufacturers, what do they think of Japan?
(a) They know Japan to be dangerous.
(b) They have read about Japan.
(c) They have heard of the Japanese silk.
(d) They have never heard of Japan.
7. What month do silk eggs hatch?
8. How many silk eggs can a person hold in their hand?
(d) Just 2.
9. What does Joncour enjoy in life?
(a) His villa.
(b) His paintings.
(c) His garden.
(d) His possessions.
10. What would happen to the Japanese if they immigrated?
(a) They would be killed.
(b) They could only return on the holidays.
(c) Nothing. It was not illegal to immigrate.
(d) They would be jailed.
11. What happens in Japan after Joncour's second trip?
(a) A civil war begins.
(b) The harbors are closed for good.
(c) The silk worms get disease.
(d) The country is split into two distinct sides.
12. What is Joncour wearing on the last leg of the journey into Japan?
(a) A blindfold.
(b) A suit.
(c) A shirt and shorts.
(d) Dark glasses.
13. When Baldabiou returned to the mayor with the money made from the factories, what did he call the mayor?
(a) A genius.
(b) A blockhead.
(c) An idiot.
(d) A fool.
14. Where is the mistress seated at the party at Hara Kei's house?
(a) Next to Hara Kei.
(c) Next to Joncour.
(d) Next to her maid.
15. How long does Joncour work with the eggs to prepare them for sale?
(a) 2 months.
(b) 2 weeks.
(c) 7 days.
(d) Not at all.
Short Answer Questions
1. To whom did Baldabiou dedicate the building next to the silk factory?
2. What happens every time Hara Kei appears?
3. What kind of silkworm eggs does Joncour buy in 1861?
4. What kind of equipment does the scientist hired by the silk manufacturers use to look at he diseased silkworms?
5. What does Joncour do with the present given to him by the mistress?
This section contains 513 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)