|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens to Joncour's neighbor in the end?
(a) His daughters take care of him until he dies.
(b) He moves in with Helene and Joncour.
(c) His wife and daughters leave him and he dies.
(d) His wife puts him away in a hospital for the insane.
2. When Joncour asks Baldabiou where Japan is, what does Baldabiou say?
(a) "Where it smells like spices."
(b) "Right to the end of the world."
(c) "Half-way around the world."
(d) "Where danger lives."
3. What spreads to Africa and India in the 1860s?
(a) Pebrine silkworm disease.
(b) The plague.
(d) The silk-manufacturing business.
4. What did Baldabiou ask Joncour about when he returned from Egypt?
(a) The heat.
(b) The pyramids.
(c) The camels.
(d) The dolphins.
5. On what ship did Joncour sail to Egypt?
(c) Egyptian Palm.
6. What kind of music does the piano player play at Madame Blanche's?
7. What did Baldabiou do with all of his secrets about silk?
(a) He shared them.
(b) He only told Helene.
(c) He only told the mayor.
(d) He only told Joncour.
8. Where does the mistress hide the note when Joncour gives it back to her?
(a) In her mouth.
(b) In the folds of her dress.
(c) In her purse.
(d) In her pocket.
9. When Joncour arrives at his house in Hara Kei's village on his third trip, he can see Hara Kei's house. What does he notice?
(a) The birds are all released.
(b) The house is huge.
(c) The house looks out over the bay.
(d) The house is orange.
10. When Baldabiou returned to the mayor with the money made from the factories, what did he call the mayor?
(a) A fool.
(b) A blockhead.
(c) An idiot.
(d) A genius.
11. How long does Joncour work with the eggs to prepare them for sale?
(a) Not at all.
(b) 2 months.
(c) 2 weeks.
(d) 7 days.
12. How does Joncour describe Japan when asked after his first trip?
13. Who bands together to pay for Joncour's expedition to Japan?
(a) The entire town.
(b) The king.
(c) The mayor and other politicians.
(d) All of the silk manufacturers.
14. What color flowers does Madame Blanche wear?
15. Once Europe has been exhausted of silk eggs, where does Joncour go for eggs first?
(c) Syria and Egypt.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Joncour get across the Japanese harbor?
2. What business is downstairs that Madame Blanche also owns?
3. What does Joncour do with the present given to him by the mistress?
4. What kind of living does Joncour make with the silk trade?
5. What kind of fleet of ships did the Americans bring to Japan?
This section contains 493 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)