1. What did Herve Joncour's father want him to do for a living?
Have a career in the army.
2. What year is it when the novel begins?
3. What novel is Flaubert writing at the time in the novel?
4. What is happening in America at the beginning of the novel?
The Civil War.
5. How many silk eggs can a person hold in their hand?
6. What month do silk eggs hatch?
7. What plant do the silk eggs live on as they hatch?
8. What happens to the silk eggs in Europe at the beginning of the novel?
An epidemic hits and kills the eggs.
This section contains 4,865 words
(approx. 17 pages at 300 words per page)