|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapters 17-18.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Five years after Baldabiou arrived on the scene, how many silk factories were established in the town?
2. What does Joncour do for the rest of the year when he's not working?
(a) He rests.
(b) He writes on his novel.
(c) He plays with his children.
(d) He reads to his wife.
3. When Baldabiou assembles all of Lavelledieu's silk manufacturers, what do they think of Japan?
(a) They have heard of the Japanese silk.
(b) They have never heard of Japan.
(c) They have read about Japan.
(d) They know Japan to be dangerous.
4. What is happening in America at the beginning of the novel?
(a) The pilgrims are landing at Plymouth.
(b) Aircraft is being built.
(c) George Washington is President.
(d) The Civil War.
5. How does Joncour get across the Japanese harbor?
(a) In a small one-mast Chinese ship.
(b) He swims.
(c) On a Dutch smuggler's ship.
(d) In a canoe.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Herve Joncour's father want him to do for a living?
2. What does Hara Kei tell Joncour about the eggs that were sold to him by the other man?
3. What does Baldabiou say it is like to hold Japanese silk?
4. What is Joncour wearing on the last leg of the journey into Japan?
5. Who bands together to pay for Joncour's expedition to Japan?
This section contains 275 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)