1. What did Herve Joncour's father want him to do for a living?
(a) Be a silk manufacturer.
(b) Be a baker.
(c) Be mayor.
(d) Have a career in the army.
2. What year is it when the novel begins?
3. What novel is Flaubert writing at the time in the novel?
(b) God Given Talent.
(c) The Rest Shall Die.
4. What is happening in America at the beginning of the novel?
(a) The Civil War.
(b) Aircraft is being built.
(c) The pilgrims are landing at Plymouth.
(d) George Washington is President.
5. How many silk eggs can a person hold in their hand?
(b) Just 2.
6. What month do silk eggs hatch?
7. What plant do the silk eggs live on as they hatch?
(a) Pin Oak tree bark.
(b) Palm tree branches.
(c) Mulberry leaves.
(d) Raspberry leaves.
8. What happens to the silk eggs in Europe at the beginning of the novel?
(a) They stop growing in France.
(b) They are all given away to China.
(c) An epidemic hits and kills the eggs.
(d) The human plague virus attacks them.
This section contains 4,865 words
(approx. 17 pages at 300 words per page)