|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Sol tear up and give to Julian at her coming-of-age party?
2. What does Julian call Sol after he rips up his letter to Lucia?
3. What does Julian do when he faces the sun at the end of Chapter 20?
4. What does the doctor tell Sol when she has a high fever at the beginning of Chapter 24?
5. What is the gin flask made from?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Dreams play an important role in Julian's life. How does the author use dreams to reveal Julian's true feelings? Describe a specific dream that Julian has and discuss what it tells you about his character.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss what the sun symbolizes in this novel. What is the significance of Sol's name as it relates to the sun? Describe two scenes in which the sun acts as an important symbol and analyze its influence on a character(s).
Essay Topic 3
Describe the character of Don Manuel. What role does he play in Julian's life? Do you think he uses manipulation to influence Julian? How so?
This section contains 216 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)