|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Lucia looks in the mirror at the end of Chapter 16, what does she think she looks like?
2. What stationery does Lucia use to write to her family while on her wedding trip?
3. What did Don Manuel's three-year-old son Manuelito die of?
4. When does Julian have to leave for Mexico City to be in time for his wedding?
5. What did a Spanish judge accuse Julian of when he was 17?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Dreams play an important role in Julian's life. How does the author use dreams to reveal Julian's true feelings? Describe a specific dream that Julian has and discuss what it tells you about his character.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the theme of political uprising in the novel. What happens in Guatemala City that makes Julian leave the country? Do you agree that he should leave rather than stay and fight against oppression? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Describe Sol's character. Is self-sacrifice part of her identity? How so? What do you think is the most important element that she brings to this story?
This section contains 216 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)