|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Julian do with the gin flask in Chapter 20?
2. What does Julian hit with his closed fist at the end of Chapter 20?
3. What does Sol tear up and give to Julian at her coming-of-age party?
4. What does the doctor tell Sol when she has a high fever at the beginning of Chapter 24?
5. What does Julian want to tell Sol about after he plays chess with Don Manuel at his home?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Julian's writing and speaking skills. What is his effect on audiences? Provide several textual examples to show his influence as a writer and speaker.
Essay Topic 2
Is Julian a determined person? Do you agree with his assessment that he will be a "doer" in life rather than a dreamer? What specific actions does he take that show him to be a "doer."
Essay Topic 3
How are both Lucia and Sol transformed by their relationship with Julian? Describe the scenes in which Lucia and Sol feel transformed as women. How are these scenes similar? Different?
This section contains 231 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)