|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What military title does Don Manuel hold?
2. What is Julian's state of being when he is getting a fortune from the monkey?
3. How does the audience respond to Julian's talk at the end of the debate in Chapter 8?
4. What nickname does Sol's nanny call her?
5. How does Julian reach Guatemala City after he leaves the steamship?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the audience's reaction to Julian's speech at the debate?
2. What crisis is occurring in Guatemala City that Saavedra tells Julian about when he returns?
3. Does religion play an important role in this time period?
4. What is Julian's reaction when he first sees Sol at the top of the stairs during her coming-of-age party?
5. How does Julian learn about Sol's death?
6. How does Lucia react to the news that Julian has become a university professor?
7. What two things do Sol and Julian do at Sol's party that go against convention and show their desire for each other?
8. How does Julian die?
9. What is Julian's reaction to his first fortune the monkey gives him?
10. How does Don Manuel encourage Julian to finish his play?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Is Julian's return to Cuba the culmination of his life's dream? What does he do in the United States that helps the Cuban cause? In what ways do you see Julian combining his efforts of the "pen" and "sword" in his return to Cuba?
Essay Topic 2
Dreams play an important role in Julian's life. How does the author use dreams to reveal Julian's true feelings? Describe a specific dream that Julian has and discuss what it tells you about his character.
Essay Topic 3
What kind of person is Lucia? Do you think she has had a difficult life? Why or why not?
This section contains 811 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)