|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What word does Lucia underline in the article about Julian?
2. What is Julian happy to find in the room he rents in Guatemala City?
3. What toast does Julian make in Chapter 5?
4. Who is Julian's fiancee the daughter of?
5. What military title does Don Manuel hold?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Francisco Tresban, the minister of fine arts, ask Julian to write a play?
2. Describe the consequences of Julian's writings while he was living in Mexico City.
3. What is Julian's reaction to his first fortune the monkey gives him?
4. Why does Saavedra think it is a good idea for Julian to meet Don Manuel?
5. Why is Lucia angry when she receives the copy of the article about Julian?
6. Why does Julian begin to weep when he sees Panoplo?
7. What happens when Julian beats Don Manuel at chess?
8. Describe Julian's triumphant return to Cuba.
9. Where is the statue of St. Rita enshrined?
10. What kind of help does Julian receive in getting established in Guatemala City?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is Julian's view of marriage? What harm does he cause through his decision to marry? Why is it more important to him to keep his word of honor than to be true to his desires?
Essay Topic 2
Do you agree or disagree with Lucia's reasons for leaving Julian? How did Julian betray her? Why does she want to protect her son from Julian?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the fortunes that Julian received from the organ grinder and his monkey. How did each of these fortunes come true in Julian's life? Identify specific scenes in which the truth of the fortunes is revealed.
This section contains 761 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)