|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Sol's nanny tell her to do when the heavy incense smoke makes her eyes tear up?
2. What is the name of the organ grinder's monkey?
3. Who is Senor Fremin?
4. What does Lucia put on the back of the newspaper article about Julian?
5. What does Julian say he will be in his life?
Short Essay Questions
1. Does religion play an important role in this time period?
2. Describe how Julian finds a place to stay when he arrives in Guatemala.
3. Why does Lucia hide Julian's passionate words on the back of the postcard?
4. What is Julian's reaction to his first fortune the monkey gives him?
5. Describe President Rubios appearance at Sol's coming-of-age party.
6. What does Professor Saavedra hope for Julian?
7. What happens when Sol stands before the statue of St. Rita?
8. Describe the setting of Chapter 6.
9. Why does Sol bring Julian to the white Gazebo?
10. What does Xenufla think about Sol's lack of a husband?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the relationship between Xenufla and Sol? How does Xenufla take care of Sol and provide guidance in her life? How does Xenufla influence Sol's decision to visit the shrine of St. Rita?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss what the sun symbolizes in this novel. What is the significance of Sol's name as it relates to the sun? Describe two scenes in which the sun acts as an important symbol and analyze its influence on a character(s).
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the relationship between Julian and Sol. What makes them feel as if they have known each other forever? Why does Julian resist his love for her?
This section contains 786 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)