|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Julian awaiting from Zaragoza, Spain?
2. How old is Lucia?
3. What does Saavedra notice about Julian's physical appearance in Chapter 4?
4. Why is Julian anxious to become established in Guatemala City?
5. What nationality is the organ grinder that Julian sees in the park?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Senora Saavedra tell Julian about the composer Juan de Dios Rosado?
2. What are the carrion birds that Julian hears in his head talking to him about?
3. What are the central themes in Julian's play?
4. What is Sol's state of mind at the beginning of the Prologue?
5. Describe how Julian finds a place to stay when he arrives in Guatemala.
6. What did Julian's friends and family tell him about his dreams of freeing Cuba?
7. What does Julian think of Professor Saavedra?
8. Describe Julian's triumphant return to Cuba.
9. Describe the consequences of Julian's writings while he was living in Mexico City.
10. Describe Julian's feelings for Lucia.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the relationship between Julian and Sol. What makes them feel as if they have known each other forever? Why does Julian resist his love for her?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the use of diaries in the novel. What role do they play in informing the reader of the characters' impressions of their experiences as well as their innermost thoughts? Why does Sol give her diary to Julian when she has been careful to hide it from everyone else?
Essay Topic 3
Dreams play an important role in Julian's life. How does the author use dreams to reveal Julian's true feelings? Describe a specific dream that Julian has and discuss what it tells you about his character.
This section contains 857 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)