|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Pellejuda mean?
2. What does the organ grinder's monkey do when people place a coin in his tin cup?
3. Who is Panoplo?
4. What is Sol's hair color?
5. Who does Sol's nanny say will be coming to find her?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Lucia angry when she receives the copy of the article about Julian?
2. What two things do Sol and Julian do at Sol's party that go against convention and show their desire for each other?
3. What is the audience's reaction to Julian's speech at the debate?
4. What is Julian's state of mind when he is in the Guatemalan jungle?
5. What role does Xenufla play in the prologue?
6. Has Julian had a hard life since he was exiled from Cuba?
7. What does Senora Saavedra tell Julian about the composer Juan de Dios Rosado?
8. How does Julian die?
9. Does Julian believe that he is a doer?
10. What kind of job does Julian hope to receive in Guatemala?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss what the sun symbolizes in this novel. What is the significance of Sol's name as it relates to the sun? Describe two scenes in which the sun acts as an important symbol and analyze its influence on a character(s).
Essay Topic 2
Describe the character of Don Manuel. What role does he play in Julian's life? Do you think he uses manipulation to influence Julian? How so?
Essay Topic 3
Is Julian a determined person? Do you agree with his assessment that he will be a "doer" in life rather than a dreamer? What specific actions does he take that show him to be a "doer."
This section contains 802 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)