|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What sentiment frightens Lucia in the words Julian wrote on the back of a postcard?
2. What does the organ grinder's monkey do when people place a coin in his tin cup?
(b) Gives them a piece of paper with a fortune on it.
(c) Hops up on their shoulder.
(d) Does a somersault.
3. Who needs to approve Julian's application for work?
(c) Minister of public instruction.
(d) Don Manuel.
4. What does Sol see when she stands before the statue of St. Rita?
(a) A handsome young man.
(b) Her mother.
(c) Her aunt.
(d) Her father.
5. What kind of work does Saavedra offer Julian in Chapter 4?
(a) Accounting work.
(b) Part-time teaching.
(c) Cleaning his office.
(d) Gardening work.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Sol's nanny say will be coming to find her?
2. What is a "cirio"?
3. Who does Lucia want to impress with the newspaper article about Julian?
4. What keys does Professor Saavedra give Julian access to?
5. How old is Sol when the story begins?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Julian's triumphant return to Cuba.
2. Where is the statue of St. Rita enshrined?
3. Describe Sol's appearance when she sees Julian for the last time before he is married.
4. What happens when Sol stands before the statue of St. Rita?
5. What does Xenufla think about Sol's lack of a husband?
6. How does Julian learn about Sol's death?
7. Why is Lucia angry when she receives the copy of the article about Julian?
8. Describe the setting of Chapter 6.
9. How does Gabriela persuade her father to invite Julian to Sol's coming-of-age party?
10. What crisis is occurring in Guatemala City that Saavedra tells Julian about when he returns?
This section contains 845 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)