|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Lucia put on the back of the newspaper article about Julian?
2. What is the name of Sol's nanny?
3. Where is St. Rita located?
(a) Mexico City.
(b) Guatemala City.
4. What do the flaming lanterns on the streets of Guatemala look like to Julian at night?
(a) Small bonfires.
(b) Small golden suns.
(c) Too bright to look at.
(d) Flickering stars.
5. What did Gabriela rip from a bound set of journals?
(a) An article about teenage fashion.
(b) Saavedra's study guides on literature.
(c) Her father's lectures on freedom.
(d) Julian's poem.
Short Answer Questions
1. At the beginning of the novel, how many weeks had passed since Julian left Mexico City?
2. What keys does Professor Saavedra give Julian access to?
3. What is Julian's fiancee's name?
4. What does Julian do when the organ grinder's monkey puts his tin cup in front of him?
5. Where does Lucia paste the postcard that Julian sent her?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Lucia leaves with Ismaelillo, what does she say in the letter she leaves for Julian?
2. Describe President Rubios appearance at Sol's coming-of-age party.
3. What does Xenufla think about Sol's lack of a husband?
4. Why does Sol give Julian her diary?
5. Describe the oath Julian makes to himself as he watches the ship disappear with his wife and child.
6. What does Julian think of Professor Saavedra?
7. Why is Lucia angry when she receives the copy of the article about Julian?
8. Does Julian believe that he is a doer?
9. Describe Sol's conflicting emotions as she says goodbye to Julian before he leaves for Mexico City.
10. What does Julian speak about at the end of the debate in Chapter 8?
This section contains 839 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)