|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What kind of music does Julian hear as he walks back to his room in Chapter 6?
2. Who does Lucia want to impress with the newspaper article about Julian?
(a) Her friends and family.
(b) Her teacher.
(c) The travelling salesman.
(d) Her father's business associates.
3. How old is Sol when the story begins?
(b) Almost eighteen.
4. How does the audience respond to Julian's talk at the end of the debate in Chapter 8?
(b) In disgust.
5. What has Sol attracted in her life?
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Julian leave Mexico City?
2. What do the flaming lanterns on the streets of Guatemala look like to Julian at night?
3. What color does the statue's eyes change to when Sol stands before it?
4. What nickname does Sol's nanny call her?
5. What is Julian happy to find in the room he rents in Guatemala City?
Short Essay Questions
1. After Lucia buys her trousseau, why does she worry about her impending marriage to Julian?
2. Does Julian think he made a mistake by marrying Lucia?
3. What kind of help does Julian receive in getting established in Guatemala City?
4. What are the carrion birds that Julian hears in his head talking to him about?
5. What does Julian speak about at the end of the debate in Chapter 8?
6. Describe the oath Julian makes to himself as he watches the ship disappear with his wife and child.
7. How is Julian's play received?
8. Has Julian had a hard life since he was exiled from Cuba?
9. How does Lucia react to the news that Julian has become a university professor?
10. What role does Xenufla play in the prologue?
This section contains 825 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)