|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where is Sol at the beginning of Chapter 20?
(a) Dining room.
(c) With her mother in the parlor.
2. What kind of tea is made with button mushrooms and secret herbs?
(a) English breakfast tea.
(b) Mexican tea.
(c) Darjeeling tea.
(d) Cakchiquel tea.
3. Where is Sol standing when Julian first sees her at Don Manuel's party?
(a) Outside in the courtyard.
(b) Dancing in the ballroom.
(c) Top of the stairs.
(d) Dining room.
4. What does Julian do when he faces the sun at the end of Chapter 20?
5. Why does Julian cry in Chapter 11?
(a) Because he is joyful about meeting Sol.
(b) He longs to return to Cuba.
(c) He is sad he has no job.
(d) He misses Lucia.
6. Why does Gabriela tell Sol that she is perfect for Julian?
(a) They both adore opera.
(b) Because they are both half crazy
(c) Because they like the same books.
(d) They both like cats.
7. What does Don Manuel invite Julian to do when he sees him at the library?
(a) Play a game of stick ball.
(b) Watch a play.
(c) Take a trip to Mexico City.
(d) Go to lunch with him.
8. Who remembers the Cuban saying "A lot more can be achieved with sugar than vinegar"?
9. What game does Julian tell Don Manuel he loves?
(a) Chinese Checkers.
10. Who asks Sol if she likes Julian?
(b) Dona Rosaura.
(c) Don Manuel.
11. When Sol rushes out of the house in Chapter 20, where is she going?
(d) Guest house.
12. How long does it take Lucia to buy her trousseau after Julian sends her money?
(a) Three weeks.
(b) One month.
(c) Within two and a half weeks.
(d) Six weeks.
13. What does Julian tell Panoplo he has found in Sol?
(a) An intellectual for him to talk with.
(b) An assistant.
(c) The woman of his dreams.
(d) Writer of editorials to the newspaper.
14. What does Don Manuel cancel so Julian will fulfill his obligation to the minister of arts?
(a) Chess games.
(c) Meetings with officials.
15. What does Lucia do that astonishes her aunts in Chapter 14?
(a) Sings while playing the piano.
(b) Writes poetry.
(c) Agrees to eloping.
(d) Talks passionately about Julian.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the date when Lucia is looking out her hotel window on her wedding trip?
2. What is Dona Rosaura afraid that Julian will do if he goes back to Cuba?
3. What does the doctor tell Sol when she has a high fever at the beginning of Chapter 24?
4. When Lucia looks in the mirror at the end of Chapter 16, what does she think she looks like?
5. How much back pay does Julian receive when he starts his full-time job?
This section contains 484 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)