|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Julian feel when he remembers Sol's words about following his dreams?
2. What did Don Manuel's three-year-old son Manuelito die of?
(b) Scarlet Fever.
3. Why does Julian cry in Chapter 11?
(a) He misses Lucia.
(b) Because he is joyful about meeting Sol.
(c) He is sad he has no job.
(d) He longs to return to Cuba.
4. What does the doctor tell Sol when she has a high fever at the beginning of Chapter 24?
(a) To get some exercise.
(b) A cold must be sweated out.
(c) To enjoy the sea air.
(d) To leave the windows open.
5. What is Dona Rosaura afraid that Julian will do if he goes back to Cuba?
(a) Forget about Sol.
(b) Leave Sol behind.
(c) Promise to marry her but never return.
(d) Bring Sol with him.
6. What does Don Manuel cancel so Julian will fulfill his obligation to the minister of arts?
(a) Meetings with officials.
(d) Chess games.
7. What is Lucia's reaction to the news that she and Julian are moving from Guatemala?
8. What is bothering Saavedra about his formal wear as he goes to Don Manuel's party?
(a) His pants feel rough.
(b) The starched linen collar.
(c) His gloves are too tight.
(d) His hat is too big.
9. Where is Sol standing when Julian first sees her at Don Manuel's party?
(a) Outside in the courtyard.
(b) Top of the stairs.
(c) Dining room.
(d) Dancing in the ballroom.
10. What is the date when Lucia is looking out her hotel window on her wedding trip?
(a) March 3, 1921.
(b) May 1, 1900.
(c) February 2, 1899.
(d) January 1, 1878.
11. What is in the letter that Julian sends to the minister of public information in Chapter 23?
(b) His resignation.
(c) His diploma.
(d) Newspaper article.
12. Who remembers the Cuban saying "A lot more can be achieved with sugar than vinegar"?
13. What did a Spanish judge accuse Julian of when he was 17?
(c) Breaking and Entering.
14. What subject is Julian writing about in his notebook at the beginning of Chapter 10?
15. Why does Julian go to the library El Ateneo in Chapter 13?
(a) To inquire about a job.
(b) To borrow some books of poetry.
(c) To do research for a play.
(d) To read literature for his next class.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Lucia read about Sol in the society pages of El Progreso?
2. What stationery does Lucia use to write to her family while on her wedding trip?
3. Where is Sol at the beginning of Chapter 20?
4. What does Julian do with the gin flask in Chapter 20?
5. What does Lucia whisper to Senora Saavedra at the end of Chapter 21?
This section contains 504 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)