|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did a Spanish judge accuse Julian of when he was 17?
(d) Breaking and Entering.
2. Who does Julian say Sol is?
(a) Someone he will marry.
(b) A long lost cousin.
(c) A woman he realizes was his neighbor.
(d) The woman of his poems.
3. What stationery does Lucia use to write to her family while on her wedding trip?
(a) Stationery she borrowed from another guest.
(b) Julian's stationery.
(c) Her personal stationery.
(d) The hotel's fancy embossed stationery.
4. Where does Sol lead Julian while they are on a walk in Chapter 16?
5. What does Julian feel as he watches his new wife walk down the hotel stairs?
(a) He has never felt lonelier in his life.
(d) Great happiness.
6. What does the doctor tell Sol when she has a high fever at the beginning of Chapter 24?
(a) A cold must be sweated out.
(b) To enjoy the sea air.
(c) To leave the windows open.
(d) To get some exercise.
7. What does Julian hit with his closed fist at the end of Chapter 20?
8. When were all the Clericals executed?
(a) At dawn.
9. Where does Sol keep her diary hidden?
(a) Locked in her desk.
(b) Under the bed.
(c) Under her mattress.
10. What month is it when Julian and Don Manuel play chess outside under the magnolia tree?
11. Who places Sol's gown on a dummy after the party is over?
(b) Her youngest sister.
(d) Her mother.
12. What does Julian say is inside his head asking questions?
(a) His mother's voice.
(b) Two carrion birds.
(c) His father's voice.
(d) A judge's voice.
13. What does Julian want to tell Sol about after he plays chess with Don Manuel at his home?
(a) His poetry.
(b) Reading her diary.
(d) His appreciation of her musical abilities.
14. What are jocotillos?
(b) Tiny plums.
(d) Special horses.
15. What is Dona Rosaura afraid that Julian will do if he goes back to Cuba?
(a) Forget about Sol.
(b) Bring Sol with him.
(c) Promise to marry her but never return.
(d) Leave Sol behind.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Minister Andrujal add at the end of his letter in his own handwriting?
2. What does Professor Saavedra say about Sol in the carriage ride home that Julian remembers later that night?
3. What kind of smile does Julian give Lucia on their wedding trip?
4. What opera is Sol playing a love song from when Julian is playing chess with her father on the patio?
5. What does Rubios give Saavedra one week to do?
This section contains 468 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)