|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Professor Saavedra say about Sol in the carriage ride home that Julian remembers later that night?
(a) "She looks like her mother, doesn't she?"
(b) "She is beautiful, isn't she?"
(c) "You both looked fine dancing together."
(d) "What a nice girl."
2. What does Don Manuel say to his wife when she asks him if he is drunk?
(a) "Yes, my love, tonight I am drunk with life!"
(b) "Drunk with pleasure!"
(c) "No, I would never get drunk with you."
(d) "I've only had one drink."
3. How long does it take Lucia to buy her trousseau after Julian sends her money?
(a) Within two and a half weeks.
(b) Three weeks.
(c) Six weeks.
(d) One month.
4. What does Rubios give Saavedra one week to do?
(a) Write an article.
(b) Write a report.
(c) Leave the country.
(d) Plan a new course.
5. Who remembers the Cuban saying "A lot more can be achieved with sugar than vinegar"?
6. What does Julian realize as he watches the sun rise at the end of Chapter 25?
(a) He wants to die.
(b) He will never be alone.
(c) He is distraught.
(d) He is lonely.
7. Where is Sol standing when Julian first sees her at Don Manuel's party?
(a) Dancing in the ballroom.
(b) Dining room.
(c) Outside in the courtyard.
(d) Top of the stairs.
8. What does Julian call Sol after he rips up his letter to Lucia?
(a) A friend.
(b) A musical genius.
(c) A nice girl.
(d) His sun.
9. What is Senora Saavedra wearing in her hair when she is going to Don Manuel's party?
(b) Decorative combs.
(c) Jeweled bobby pins.
(d) Magnolia blossom.
10. When Lucia looks in the mirror at the end of Chapter 16, what does she think she looks like?
(b) Her old self.
(c) A beautiful woman.
(d) A child.
11. What does Sol give Julian when he tells her he has to leave for Mexico City?
(a) Lock of her hair.
(c) Heart-shaped rock.
(d) Small photograph of herself and a white rose.
12. Where does Sol lead Julian while they are on a walk in Chapter 16?
13. How does Julian feel when he remembers Sol's words about following his dreams?
14. What can Lucia hear when she looks out the hotel window on her wedding trip?
(a) Street vendors.
(d) The Pacific Ocean.
15. What is in the letter that Julian sends to the minister of public information in Chapter 23?
(b) His diploma.
(c) Newspaper article.
(d) His resignation.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Julian say Sol is?
2. What does Don Manuel cancel so Julian will fulfill his obligation to the minister of arts?
3. What does Julian thinks he sees on Sol's shoulders at the party?
4. What does Julian want to tell Sol about after he plays chess with Don Manuel at his home?
5. What does Julian say is inside his head asking questions?
This section contains 508 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)