|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Julian cry in Chapter 11?
(a) He is sad he has no job.
(b) He misses Lucia.
(c) He longs to return to Cuba.
(d) Because he is joyful about meeting Sol.
2. What does Julian realize as he watches the sun rise at the end of Chapter 25?
(a) He wants to die.
(b) He will never be alone.
(c) He is distraught.
(d) He is lonely.
3. What does Julian do when he faces the sun at the end of Chapter 20?
4. Who remembers the Cuban saying "A lot more can be achieved with sugar than vinegar"?
5. What does Don Manuel invite Julian to do when he sees him at the library?
(a) Watch a play.
(b) Go to lunch with him.
(c) Take a trip to Mexico City.
(d) Play a game of stick ball.
6. How much back pay does Julian receive when he starts his full-time job?
(a) Three months.
(b) Two months.
(c) Six months.
(d) One week.
7. What does Don Manuel cancel so Julian will fulfill his obligation to the minister of arts?
(a) Chess games.
(c) Meetings with officials.
8. What does Sol say to Julian after she gives him her gift before he leaves for Mexico?
(a) "Be well."
(b) "Don't forget me."
(c) "Forget all about me."
9. What did a Spanish judge accuse Julian of when he was 17?
(c) Breaking and Entering.
10. What is Senora Saavedra wearing in her hair when she is going to Don Manuel's party?
(b) Decorative combs.
(c) Magnolia blossom.
(d) Jeweled bobby pins.
11. What is Lucia's reaction to the news that she and Julian are moving from Guatemala?
12. What did Juan de Dios Rosado write that Don Manuel is having performed at his party?
13. Why does Julian go to the library El Ateneo in Chapter 13?
(a) To borrow some books of poetry.
(b) To read literature for his next class.
(c) To inquire about a job.
(d) To do research for a play.
14. What is Lucia being fitted for by her aunts in the sewing room of her house?
(a) A dress for a ball.
(c) Her wedding gown.
(d) Riding outfit.
15. What is in the letter that Julian sends to the minister of public information in Chapter 23?
(a) Newspaper article.
(b) His diploma.
(c) His resignation.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Sol give Julian that is very dear to her after he talks about his feelings of friendship for her?
2. What happens when a Cuban man gives his word of honor?
3. What does Julian call Sol after he rips up his letter to Lucia?
4. What are jocotillos?
5. What does Julian want to tell Sol about after he plays chess with Don Manuel at his home?
This section contains 493 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)