|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the doctor tell Sol when she has a high fever at the beginning of Chapter 24?
(a) To get some exercise.
(b) To leave the windows open.
(c) To enjoy the sea air.
(d) A cold must be sweated out.
2. What does Julian hit with his closed fist at the end of Chapter 20?
3. Why does Gabriela tell Sol that she is perfect for Julian?
(a) Because they are both half crazy
(b) They both like cats.
(c) They both adore opera.
(d) Because they like the same books.
4. Where is Sol standing when Julian first sees her at Don Manuel's party?
(a) Top of the stairs.
(b) Outside in the courtyard.
(c) Dining room.
(d) Dancing in the ballroom.
5. What does Rubios give Saavedra one week to do?
(a) Leave the country.
(b) Write a report.
(c) Write an article.
(d) Plan a new course.
6. Who asks Sol if she likes Julian?
(c) Don Manuel.
(d) Dona Rosaura.
7. What does Don Manuel say when Julian tells him he is to be married in Mexico City?
(b) "I can't believe you!"
(c) "You horrible man!"
(d) "Congratulations, my boy."
8. What does Julian realize as he watches the sun rise at the end of Chapter 25?
(a) He is distraught.
(b) He is lonely.
(c) He will never be alone.
(d) He wants to die.
9. What is Lucia's reaction to the news that she and Julian are moving from Guatemala?
10. What is Dona Rosaura afraid that Julian will do if he goes back to Cuba?
(a) Promise to marry her but never return.
(b) Forget about Sol.
(c) Bring Sol with him.
(d) Leave Sol behind.
11. What does Sol give Julian that is very dear to her after he talks about his feelings of friendship for her?
(b) Her diary.
(d) A letter.
12. What is driving Xenufla crazy about Sol on Friday morning, the day Julian visits Don Manuel at home?
(a) Sol is pestering her for lunch.
(b) Sol has changed her clothes three times already.
(c) Sol is complaining about everything.
(d) The clock is not working.
13. What does Julian tell Panoplo he has found in Sol?
(a) The woman of his dreams.
(b) An intellectual for him to talk with.
(c) An assistant.
(d) Writer of editorials to the newspaper.
14. What does Julian do with the gin flask in Chapter 20?
(a) Drinks from it.
(b) Fills it up again.
(c) Empties it into the sink.
(d) Swipes it off the surface of the table.
15. What kind of smile does Julian give Lucia on their wedding trip?
(c) Sincerely heartfelt.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Julian thinks he sees on Sol's shoulders at the party?
2. What does Julian want to tell Sol about after he plays chess with Don Manuel at his home?
3. Where does Julian wait for Sol in Chapter 24?
4. Why does Julian go to the library El Ateneo in Chapter 13?
5. What did Minister Andrujal add at the end of his letter in his own handwriting?
This section contains 524 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)