|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What month is it when Julian and Don Manuel play chess outside under the magnolia tree?
2. What does Rubios give Saavedra one week to do?
(a) Plan a new course.
(b) Write a report.
(c) Leave the country.
(d) Write an article.
3. Where is Sol standing when Julian first sees her at Don Manuel's party?
(a) Top of the stairs.
(b) Dancing in the ballroom.
(c) Dining room.
(d) Outside in the courtyard.
4. What does Julian tell Panoplo he has found in Sol?
(a) Writer of editorials to the newspaper.
(b) An intellectual for him to talk with.
(c) The woman of his dreams.
(d) An assistant.
5. How long does it take Lucia to buy her trousseau after Julian sends her money?
(a) Six weeks.
(b) Within two and a half weeks.
(c) Three weeks.
(d) One month.
6. What does the doctor tell Sol when she has a high fever at the beginning of Chapter 24?
(a) To get some exercise.
(b) To leave the windows open.
(c) To enjoy the sea air.
(d) A cold must be sweated out.
7. What is bothering Saavedra about his formal wear as he goes to Don Manuel's party?
(a) His hat is too big.
(b) The starched linen collar.
(c) His pants feel rough.
(d) His gloves are too tight.
8. What does Don Manuel say to his wife when she asks him if he is drunk?
(a) "No, I would never get drunk with you."
(b) "I've only had one drink."
(c) "Yes, my love, tonight I am drunk with life!"
(d) "Drunk with pleasure!"
9. What does Don Manuel say when Julian tells him he is to be married in Mexico City?
(a) "I can't believe you!"
(b) "You horrible man!"
(d) "Congratulations, my boy."
10. Why does Julian cry in Chapter 11?
(a) He is sad he has no job.
(b) He misses Lucia.
(c) Because he is joyful about meeting Sol.
(d) He longs to return to Cuba.
11. What does Julian hit with his closed fist at the end of Chapter 20?
12. What does Lucia do that astonishes her aunts in Chapter 14?
(a) Talks passionately about Julian.
(b) Agrees to eloping.
(c) Writes poetry.
(d) Sings while playing the piano.
13. What does Julian say is inside his head asking questions?
(a) His father's voice.
(b) His mother's voice.
(c) Two carrion birds.
(d) A judge's voice.
14. What does Sol say to Julian after she gives him her gift before he leaves for Mexico?
(a) "Forget all about me."
(c) "Don't forget me."
(d) "Be well."
15. What happens when a Cuban man gives his word of honor?
(a) He must petition a priest to change it.
(b) A judge can decide to change it.
(c) It is never to be broken.
(d) It can always be revised.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is driving Xenufla crazy about Sol on Friday morning, the day Julian visits Don Manuel at home?
2. What is Lucia being fitted for by her aunts in the sewing room of her house?
3. Who remembers the Cuban saying "A lot more can be achieved with sugar than vinegar"?
4. What does Julian do with the gin flask in Chapter 20?
5. What kind of smile does Julian give Lucia on their wedding trip?
This section contains 556 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)