|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Lucia being fitted for by her aunts in the sewing room of her house?
(a) Riding outfit.
(b) A dress for a ball.
(c) Her wedding gown.
2. What happens when a Cuban man gives his word of honor?
(a) He must petition a priest to change it.
(b) A judge can decide to change it.
(c) It is never to be broken.
(d) It can always be revised.
3. When Lucia looks in the mirror at the end of Chapter 16, what does she think she looks like?
(a) Her old self.
(c) A beautiful woman.
(d) A child.
4. What is the date when Lucia is looking out her hotel window on her wedding trip?
(a) May 1, 1900.
(b) February 2, 1899.
(c) January 1, 1878.
(d) March 3, 1921.
5. What does Julian do with the gin flask in Chapter 20?
(a) Drinks from it.
(b) Fills it up again.
(c) Empties it into the sink.
(d) Swipes it off the surface of the table.
6. What does the doctor tell Sol when she has a high fever at the beginning of Chapter 24?
(a) To get some exercise.
(b) To enjoy the sea air.
(c) A cold must be sweated out.
(d) To leave the windows open.
7. Who places Sol's gown on a dummy after the party is over?
(a) Her mother.
(c) Her youngest sister.
8. Who asks Sol if she likes Julian?
(a) Don Manuel.
(b) Dona Rosaura.
9. What did a Spanish judge accuse Julian of when he was 17?
(b) Breaking and Entering.
10. Why does Julian go to the library El Ateneo in Chapter 13?
(a) To do research for a play.
(b) To read literature for his next class.
(c) To borrow some books of poetry.
(d) To inquire about a job.
11. What game does Julian tell Don Manuel he loves?
(d) Chinese Checkers.
12. Who remembers the Cuban saying "A lot more can be achieved with sugar than vinegar"?
13. What did Don Manuel's three-year-old son Manuelito die of?
(b) Scarlet Fever.
14. What does Julian realize as he watches the sun rise at the end of Chapter 25?
(a) He wants to die.
(b) He will never be alone.
(c) He is distraught.
(d) He is lonely.
15. What is the gin flask made from?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Julian call Sol after he rips up his letter to Lucia?
2. What does Sol think that Julian shares with her father?
3. What does Don Manuel say when Julian tells him he is to be married in Mexico City?
4. What does Professor Saavedra say about Sol in the carriage ride home that Julian remembers later that night?
5. What is Dona Rosaura afraid that Julian will do if he goes back to Cuba?
This section contains 503 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)