|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who asks Sol if she likes Julian?
(b) Dona Rosaura.
(c) Don Manuel.
2. What kind of smile does Julian give Lucia on their wedding trip?
(d) Sincerely heartfelt.
3. What does Don Manuel say when Julian tells him he is to be married in Mexico City?
(a) "You horrible man!"
(b) "Congratulations, my boy."
(d) "I can't believe you!"
4. What is the gin flask made from?
5. What does Sol give Julian that is very dear to her after he talks about his feelings of friendship for her?
(a) A letter.
(b) Her diary.
6. What does Don Manuel cancel so Julian will fulfill his obligation to the minister of arts?
(b) Meetings with officials.
(d) Chess games.
7. What does Rubios give Saavedra one week to do?
(a) Leave the country.
(b) Write a report.
(c) Plan a new course.
(d) Write an article.
8. What are jocotillos?
(b) Tiny plums.
(d) Special horses.
9. What does Sol give Julian when he tells her he has to leave for Mexico City?
(a) Small photograph of herself and a white rose.
(b) Heart-shaped rock.
(c) Lock of her hair.
10. Why does Julian cry in Chapter 11?
(a) He is sad he has no job.
(b) Because he is joyful about meeting Sol.
(c) He misses Lucia.
(d) He longs to return to Cuba.
11. What stationery does Lucia use to write to her family while on her wedding trip?
(a) Her personal stationery.
(b) Julian's stationery.
(c) Stationery she borrowed from another guest.
(d) The hotel's fancy embossed stationery.
12. When were all the Clericals executed?
(a) At dawn.
13. What does Julian thinks he sees on Sol's shoulders at the party?
(b) Magnolia flowers.
14. Why does Julian go to the library El Ateneo in Chapter 13?
(a) To do research for a play.
(b) To inquire about a job.
(c) To read literature for his next class.
(d) To borrow some books of poetry.
15. What does Julian hit with his closed fist at the end of Chapter 20?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is bothering Saavedra about his formal wear as he goes to Don Manuel's party?
2. How does Julian feel when he remembers Sol's words about following his dreams?
3. What does Lucia whisper to Senora Saavedra at the end of Chapter 21?
4. When Lucia looks in the mirror at the end of Chapter 16, what does she think she looks like?
5. What is Lucia's reaction to the news that she and Julian are moving from Guatemala?
This section contains 450 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)