|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Julian wait for Sol in Chapter 24?
2. What kind of tea is made with button mushrooms and secret herbs?
(a) English breakfast tea.
(b) Mexican tea.
(c) Cakchiquel tea.
(d) Darjeeling tea.
3. How does Julian feel when he remembers Sol's words about following his dreams?
4. What is bothering Saavedra about his formal wear as he goes to Don Manuel's party?
(a) His gloves are too tight.
(b) His pants feel rough.
(c) His hat is too big.
(d) The starched linen collar.
5. What is driving Xenufla crazy about Sol on Friday morning, the day Julian visits Don Manuel at home?
(a) Sol is pestering her for lunch.
(b) Sol is complaining about everything.
(c) The clock is not working.
(d) Sol has changed her clothes three times already.
6. What does Lucia whisper to Senora Saavedra at the end of Chapter 21?
(a) She is sure that Julian has a mistress.
(b) She is pregnant.
(c) She hates Guatemala.
(d) She needs a recommendation for a maid.
7. Why does Julian cry in Chapter 11?
(a) Because he is joyful about meeting Sol.
(b) He misses Lucia.
(c) He is sad he has no job.
(d) He longs to return to Cuba.
8. What does Sol tear up and give to Julian at her coming-of-age party?
(c) Dance card.
9. What does Sol give Julian when he tells her he has to leave for Mexico City?
(a) Small photograph of herself and a white rose.
(b) Lock of her hair.
(d) Heart-shaped rock.
10. What game does Julian tell Don Manuel he loves?
(a) Chinese Checkers.
11. How much back pay does Julian receive when he starts his full-time job?
(a) Three months.
(b) Two months.
(c) Six months.
(d) One week.
12. What opera is Sol playing a love song from when Julian is playing chess with her father on the patio?
(a) La Rondine.
(b) Tristan and Isolde.
(c) La Boheme.
13. What does Julian decide he must do after writing a letter to Lucia telling her about Sol?
(a) Make her break their engagement.
(b) He cannot break his word to Lucia.
(c) Never go back to Mexico.
(d) Send the letter.
14. What does Lucia read about Sol in the society pages of El Progreso?
(a) She is married.
(b) She is engaged.
(c) She has died of malaria.
(d) She is enrolled in college.
15. When Lucia looks in the mirror at the end of Chapter 16, what does she think she looks like?
(b) A child.
(c) A beautiful woman.
(d) Her old self.
Short Answer Questions
1. What subject is Julian writing about in his notebook at the beginning of Chapter 10?
2. When Sol rushes out of the house in Chapter 20, where is she going?
3. What does the doctor tell Sol when she has a high fever at the beginning of Chapter 24?
4. What did a Spanish judge accuse Julian of when he was 17?
5. What does Julian realize as he watches the sun rise at the end of Chapter 25?
This section contains 512 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)