|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Dona Rosaura afraid that Julian will do if he goes back to Cuba?
(a) Promise to marry her but never return.
(b) Bring Sol with him.
(c) Forget about Sol.
(d) Leave Sol behind.
2. What can Lucia hear when she looks out the hotel window on her wedding trip?
(b) The Pacific Ocean.
(c) Street vendors.
3. What does Rubios give Saavedra one week to do?
(a) Plan a new course.
(b) Write a report.
(c) Leave the country.
(d) Write an article.
4. Why does Julian cry in Chapter 11?
(a) He is sad he has no job.
(b) He longs to return to Cuba.
(c) Because he is joyful about meeting Sol.
(d) He misses Lucia.
5. What is Lucia's reaction to the news that she and Julian are moving from Guatemala?
6. What subject is Julian writing about in his notebook at the beginning of Chapter 10?
7. What does Professor Saavedra say about Sol in the carriage ride home that Julian remembers later that night?
(a) "You both looked fine dancing together."
(b) "She is beautiful, isn't she?"
(c) "What a nice girl."
(d) "She looks like her mother, doesn't she?"
8. What opera is Sol playing a love song from when Julian is playing chess with her father on the patio?
(a) Tristan and Isolde.
(b) La Rondine.
(d) La Boheme.
9. What does Julian say is inside his head asking questions?
(a) His father's voice.
(b) Two carrion birds.
(c) His mother's voice.
(d) A judge's voice.
10. What does Julian tell Panoplo he has found in Sol?
(a) An intellectual for him to talk with.
(b) Writer of editorials to the newspaper.
(c) The woman of his dreams.
(d) An assistant.
11. What kind of hotel are Julian and Lucia staying in?
(a) A bed and breakfast near a river.
(b) A rundown hotel.
(c) The least expensive in Mexico City.
(d) The most expensive in Acapulco.
12. What is bothering Saavedra about his formal wear as he goes to Don Manuel's party?
(a) His hat is too big.
(b) His pants feel rough.
(c) His gloves are too tight.
(d) The starched linen collar.
13. What did a Spanish judge accuse Julian of when he was 17?
(d) Breaking and Entering.
14. What did Juan de Dios Rosado write that Don Manuel is having performed at his party?
15. What does Sol think that Julian shares with her father?
(a) They are both generals.
(b) They both have lots of money.
(c) They are both lazy.
(d) They are both dreamers and fighters.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Julian thinks he sees on Sol's shoulders at the party?
2. What kind of smile does Julian give Lucia on their wedding trip?
3. What does the doctor tell Sol when she has a high fever at the beginning of Chapter 24?
4. Who remembers the Cuban saying "A lot more can be achieved with sugar than vinegar"?
5. What is the date when Lucia is looking out her hotel window on her wedding trip?
This section contains 503 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)