|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Julian call Sol after he rips up his letter to Lucia?
(a) His sun.
(b) A musical genius.
(c) A friend.
(d) A nice girl.
2. What does Don Manuel cancel so Julian will fulfill his obligation to the minister of arts?
(b) Chess games.
(d) Meetings with officials.
3. What does Julian tell Panoplo he has found in Sol?
(a) An intellectual for him to talk with.
(b) Writer of editorials to the newspaper.
(c) The woman of his dreams.
(d) An assistant.
4. What game does Julian tell Don Manuel he loves?
(d) Chinese Checkers.
5. What is Lucia's reaction to the news that she and Julian are moving from Guatemala?
6. Why does Julian cry in Chapter 11?
(a) He misses Lucia.
(b) Because he is joyful about meeting Sol.
(c) He is sad he has no job.
(d) He longs to return to Cuba.
7. What does Julian say is inside his head asking questions?
(a) His mother's voice.
(b) A judge's voice.
(c) Two carrion birds.
(d) His father's voice.
8. What does Julian want to tell Sol about after he plays chess with Don Manuel at his home?
(a) Reading her diary.
(c) His poetry.
(d) His appreciation of her musical abilities.
9. What does Julian thinks he sees on Sol's shoulders at the party?
(a) Magnolia flowers.
10. What does Sol give Julian when he tells her he has to leave for Mexico City?
(b) Heart-shaped rock.
(c) Small photograph of herself and a white rose.
(d) Lock of her hair.
11. Why does Julian go to the library El Ateneo in Chapter 13?
(a) To inquire about a job.
(b) To read literature for his next class.
(c) To do research for a play.
(d) To borrow some books of poetry.
12. What does Lucia whisper to Senora Saavedra at the end of Chapter 21?
(a) She is pregnant.
(b) She needs a recommendation for a maid.
(c) She hates Guatemala.
(d) She is sure that Julian has a mistress.
13. What does Don Manuel say when Julian tells him he is to be married in Mexico City?
(a) "Congratulations, my boy."
(b) "You horrible man!"
(c) "I can't believe you!"
14. What did Juan de Dios Rosado write that Don Manuel is having performed at his party?
15. How does Julian feel when he remembers Sol's words about following his dreams?
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of smile does Julian give Lucia on their wedding trip?
2. What does Professor Saavedra say about Sol in the carriage ride home that Julian remembers later that night?
3. What does Rubios give Saavedra one week to do?
4. Who does Julian say Sol is?
5. Why does Gabriela tell Sol that she is perfect for Julian?
This section contains 507 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)