|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Lucia whisper to Senora Saavedra at the end of Chapter 21?
(a) She is pregnant.
(b) She hates Guatemala.
(c) She is sure that Julian has a mistress.
(d) She needs a recommendation for a maid.
2. Where does Sol keep her diary hidden?
(a) Under her mattress.
(b) Under the bed.
(d) Locked in her desk.
3. What does Julian feel as he watches his new wife walk down the hotel stairs?
(c) Great happiness.
(d) He has never felt lonelier in his life.
4. What does Sol think that Julian shares with her father?
(a) They are both dreamers and fighters.
(b) They both have lots of money.
(c) They are both lazy.
(d) They are both generals.
5. What is Lucia being fitted for by her aunts in the sewing room of her house?
(b) A dress for a ball.
(c) Her wedding gown.
(d) Riding outfit.
6. Why does Julian go to the library El Ateneo in Chapter 13?
(a) To read literature for his next class.
(b) To borrow some books of poetry.
(c) To inquire about a job.
(d) To do research for a play.
7. What does Lucia read about Sol in the society pages of El Progreso?
(a) She is engaged.
(b) She is enrolled in college.
(c) She has died of malaria.
(d) She is married.
8. Where is Sol standing when Julian first sees her at Don Manuel's party?
(a) Dancing in the ballroom.
(b) Dining room.
(c) Outside in the courtyard.
(d) Top of the stairs.
9. What can Lucia hear when she looks out the hotel window on her wedding trip?
(b) Street vendors.
(d) The Pacific Ocean.
10. What does Julian hit with his closed fist at the end of Chapter 20?
11. What is the date when Lucia is looking out her hotel window on her wedding trip?
(a) March 3, 1921.
(b) February 2, 1899.
(c) May 1, 1900.
(d) January 1, 1878.
12. What is the gin flask made from?
13. What opera is Sol playing a love song from when Julian is playing chess with her father on the patio?
(a) La Rondine.
(c) Tristan and Isolde.
(d) La Boheme.
14. What did Juan de Dios Rosado write that Don Manuel is having performed at his party?
15. What is driving Xenufla crazy about Sol on Friday morning, the day Julian visits Don Manuel at home?
(a) Sol is complaining about everything.
(b) The clock is not working.
(c) Sol is pestering her for lunch.
(d) Sol has changed her clothes three times already.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Lucia looks in the mirror at the end of Chapter 16, what does she think she looks like?
2. Who does Julian say Sol is?
3. What subject is Julian writing about in his notebook at the beginning of Chapter 10?
4. What does Julian decide he must do after writing a letter to Lucia telling her about Sol?
5. What is Lucia's reaction to the news that she and Julian are moving from Guatemala?
This section contains 513 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)