|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Don Manuel say when Julian tells him he is to be married in Mexico City?
(a) "You horrible man!"
(b) "Congratulations, my boy."
(c) "I can't believe you!"
2. What can Lucia hear when she looks out the hotel window on her wedding trip?
(a) Street vendors.
(c) The Pacific Ocean.
3. What does Julian want to tell Sol about after he plays chess with Don Manuel at his home?
(b) His poetry.
(c) Reading her diary.
(d) His appreciation of her musical abilities.
4. What is driving Xenufla crazy about Sol on Friday morning, the day Julian visits Don Manuel at home?
(a) Sol has changed her clothes three times already.
(b) Sol is complaining about everything.
(c) Sol is pestering her for lunch.
(d) The clock is not working.
5. What does Don Manuel say to his wife when she asks him if he is drunk?
(a) "I've only had one drink."
(b) "No, I would never get drunk with you."
(c) "Yes, my love, tonight I am drunk with life!"
(d) "Drunk with pleasure!"
6. What does Don Manuel cancel so Julian will fulfill his obligation to the minister of arts?
(b) Meetings with officials.
(c) Chess games.
7. How much back pay does Julian receive when he starts his full-time job?
(a) Two months.
(b) One week.
(c) Six months.
(d) Three months.
8. What is Lucia's reaction to the news that she and Julian are moving from Guatemala?
9. What is Senora Saavedra wearing in her hair when she is going to Don Manuel's party?
(a) Jeweled bobby pins.
(c) Magnolia blossom.
(d) Decorative combs.
10. What does Professor Saavedra say about Sol in the carriage ride home that Julian remembers later that night?
(a) "What a nice girl."
(b) "You both looked fine dancing together."
(c) "She is beautiful, isn't she?"
(d) "She looks like her mother, doesn't she?"
11. What does Julian tell Panoplo he has found in Sol?
(a) The woman of his dreams.
(b) An intellectual for him to talk with.
(c) Writer of editorials to the newspaper.
(d) An assistant.
12. What does Julian realize as he watches the sun rise at the end of Chapter 25?
(a) He wants to die.
(b) He will never be alone.
(c) He is distraught.
(d) He is lonely.
13. What does Sol tear up and give to Julian at her coming-of-age party?
(d) Dance card.
14. What did a Spanish judge accuse Julian of when he was 17?
(d) Breaking and Entering.
15. What does Julian decide he must do after writing a letter to Lucia telling her about Sol?
(a) Send the letter.
(b) He cannot break his word to Lucia.
(c) Make her break their engagement.
(d) Never go back to Mexico.
Short Answer Questions
1. What month is it when Julian and Don Manuel play chess outside under the magnolia tree?
2. What does Lucia whisper to Senora Saavedra at the end of Chapter 21?
3. When were all the Clericals executed?
4. What kind of tea is made with button mushrooms and secret herbs?
5. What does Sol think that Julian shares with her father?
This section contains 537 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)