|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When does Julian have to leave for Mexico City to be in time for his wedding?
(a) September 15.
(b) May 12.
(c) October 2.
(d) December 10.
2. What does Julian do with the gin flask in Chapter 20?
(a) Fills it up again.
(b) Drinks from it.
(c) Swipes it off the surface of the table.
(d) Empties it into the sink.
3. What does Julian want to tell Sol about after he plays chess with Don Manuel at his home?
(b) His appreciation of her musical abilities.
(c) His poetry.
(d) Reading her diary.
4. What does Sol think about the news that Julian is getting married in Mexico City?
(a) It must be a mistake.
(b) Xenufla was right.
(c) Good riddance!
(d) She needs a new boyfriend.
5. What is Dona Rosaura afraid that Julian will do if he goes back to Cuba?
(a) Leave Sol behind.
(b) Bring Sol with him.
(c) Forget about Sol.
(d) Promise to marry her but never return.
6. How does Julian feel when he remembers Sol's words about following his dreams?
7. Where does Sol keep her diary hidden?
(a) Locked in her desk.
(c) Under her mattress.
(d) Under the bed.
8. What does Don Manuel say when Julian tells him he is to be married in Mexico City?
(a) "Congratulations, my boy."
(c) "You horrible man!"
(d) "I can't believe you!"
9. What does Lucia do that astonishes her aunts in Chapter 14?
(a) Writes poetry.
(b) Agrees to eloping.
(c) Sings while playing the piano.
(d) Talks passionately about Julian.
10. What are jocotillos?
(a) Special horses.
(b) Tiny plums.
11. What does Julian do when he faces the sun at the end of Chapter 20?
12. Who asks Sol if she likes Julian?
(a) Dona Rosaura.
(c) Don Manuel.
13. What does Don Manuel cancel so Julian will fulfill his obligation to the minister of arts?
(a) Meetings with officials.
(d) Chess games.
14. What game does Julian tell Don Manuel he loves?
(a) Chinese Checkers.
15. What does Sol give Julian that is very dear to her after he talks about his feelings of friendship for her?
(a) A letter.
(b) Her diary.
Short Answer Questions
1. What subject is Julian writing about in his notebook at the beginning of Chapter 10?
2. What did Juan de Dios Rosado write that Don Manuel is having performed at his party?
3. What does Julian thinks he sees on Sol's shoulders at the party?
4. What does Julian realize as he watches the sun rise at the end of Chapter 25?
5. What does Sol think that Julian shares with her father?
This section contains 448 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)