|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Professor Saavedra say about Sol in the carriage ride home that Julian remembers later that night?
(a) "What a nice girl."
(b) "She looks like her mother, doesn't she?"
(c) "She is beautiful, isn't she?"
(d) "You both looked fine dancing together."
2. What happens when a Cuban man gives his word of honor?
(a) It is never to be broken.
(b) A judge can decide to change it.
(c) He must petition a priest to change it.
(d) It can always be revised.
3. What does Lucia whisper to Senora Saavedra at the end of Chapter 21?
(a) She is pregnant.
(b) She hates Guatemala.
(c) She is sure that Julian has a mistress.
(d) She needs a recommendation for a maid.
4. Why does Gabriela tell Sol that she is perfect for Julian?
(a) They both adore opera.
(b) Because they like the same books.
(c) Because they are both half crazy
(d) They both like cats.
5. What does Julian want to tell Sol about after he plays chess with Don Manuel at his home?
(a) His appreciation of her musical abilities.
(c) His poetry.
(d) Reading her diary.
6. What does Julian hit with his closed fist at the end of Chapter 20?
7. Who remembers the Cuban saying "A lot more can be achieved with sugar than vinegar"?
8. What is Lucia being fitted for by her aunts in the sewing room of her house?
(a) A dress for a ball.
(c) Her wedding gown.
(d) Riding outfit.
9. Where does Julian wait for Sol in Chapter 24?
10. What does Don Manuel say to his wife when she asks him if he is drunk?
(a) "I've only had one drink."
(b) "Yes, my love, tonight I am drunk with life!"
(c) "Drunk with pleasure!"
(d) "No, I would never get drunk with you."
11. What does Julian thinks he sees on Sol's shoulders at the party?
(d) Magnolia flowers.
12. What does Julian say is inside his head asking questions?
(a) Two carrion birds.
(b) His mother's voice.
(c) A judge's voice.
(d) His father's voice.
13. Why does Julian cry in Chapter 11?
(a) He is sad he has no job.
(b) Because he is joyful about meeting Sol.
(c) He longs to return to Cuba.
(d) He misses Lucia.
14. What month is it when Julian and Don Manuel play chess outside under the magnolia tree?
15. Who places Sol's gown on a dummy after the party is over?
(a) Her mother.
(d) Her youngest sister.
Short Answer Questions
1. What subject is Julian writing about in his notebook at the beginning of Chapter 10?
2. Where does Sol lead Julian while they are on a walk in Chapter 16?
3. Why does Julian go to the library El Ateneo in Chapter 13?
4. What does Lucia do that astonishes her aunts in Chapter 14?
5. What kind of smile does Julian give Lucia on their wedding trip?
This section contains 505 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)