|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Sol give Julian that is very dear to her after he talks about his feelings of friendship for her?
(b) Her diary.
(d) A letter.
2. What did Minister Andrujal add at the end of his letter in his own handwriting?
(a) "Best wishes."
(b) "See you tomorrow."
(c) "If you need anything, just ask."
(d) "Julian, please."
3. What job does Julian get that Lucia says sounds like stability to her?
(a) Article writer.
(c) University professor.
4. How long does it take Lucia to buy her trousseau after Julian sends her money?
(a) One month.
(b) Three weeks.
(c) Within two and a half weeks.
(d) Six weeks.
5. What is bothering Saavedra about his formal wear as he goes to Don Manuel's party?
(a) His gloves are too tight.
(b) His hat is too big.
(c) The starched linen collar.
(d) His pants feel rough.
6. What did Don Manuel's three-year-old son Manuelito die of?
(a) Scarlet Fever.
7. What does Sol think that Julian shares with her father?
(a) They are both dreamers and fighters.
(b) They both have lots of money.
(c) They are both lazy.
(d) They are both generals.
8. What does Don Manuel say when Julian tells him he is to be married in Mexico City?
(a) "You horrible man!"
(c) "Congratulations, my boy."
(d) "I can't believe you!"
9. What does Sol say to Julian after she gives him her gift before he leaves for Mexico?
(a) "Be well."
(b) "Don't forget me."
(d) "Forget all about me."
10. When were all the Clericals executed?
(c) At dawn.
11. What is Dona Rosaura afraid that Julian will do if he goes back to Cuba?
(a) Bring Sol with him.
(b) Forget about Sol.
(c) Promise to marry her but never return.
(d) Leave Sol behind.
12. What happens when a Cuban man gives his word of honor?
(a) A judge can decide to change it.
(b) He must petition a priest to change it.
(c) It is never to be broken.
(d) It can always be revised.
13. When Sol rushes out of the house in Chapter 20, where is she going?
(d) Guest house.
14. What can Lucia hear when she looks out the hotel window on her wedding trip?
(b) The Pacific Ocean.
(d) Street vendors.
15. What does Don Manuel cancel so Julian will fulfill his obligation to the minister of arts?
(a) Meetings with officials.
(c) Chess games.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Julian want to tell Sol about after he plays chess with Don Manuel at his home?
2. What are jocotillos?
3. What kind of smile does Julian give Lucia on their wedding trip?
4. What does Julian call Sol after he rips up his letter to Lucia?
5. Where does Sol keep her diary hidden?
This section contains 473 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)