|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What military title does Don Manuel hold?
2. What is Julian's life ambition about his homeland?
(a) To free it from Spainish rule.
(b) To teach young children to love Spain.
(c) To study ocean life around Cuban harbors.
(d) To write about its natural beauty.
3. What do the flaming lanterns on the streets of Guatemala look like to Julian at night?
(a) Small bonfires.
(b) Too bright to look at.
(c) Small golden suns.
(d) Flickering stars.
4. Why does Professor Saavedra say Julian should arrive as soon as possible in Guatemala City?
(a) To meet his wife.
(b) Before the border is closed.
(c) To be approved for a job.
(d) To take his class.
5. How did Sol feel when she left the statue of St. Rita and walked down the hill?
6. What does Lucia do after she reads the newspaper article about Julian?
(a) Makes copies.
(b) Rips it up.
(c) Crumples it up.
(d) Burns it.
7. Where does Lucia paste the postcard that Julian sent her?
(a) In a cookbook.
(b) In a book.
(c) In her album.
(d) In her diary.
8. How many fortunes did Julian receive form the organ grinder's monkey?
9. What color does the statue's eyes change to when Sol stands before it?
(d) Dark blue.
10. What sentiment frightens Lucia in the words Julian wrote on the back of a postcard?
11. What is the name of the statue that Julian sees in El Parque de La Victoria?
(a) The Mighty General.
(b) Children at Play.
(c) Gautemalan Revolution.
(d) The Spirit of Guatemala.
12. What are the ingredients for balche, the sacred drink Sol must drink in honor of St. Rita?
(a) Chocolate and coffee.
(b) Honey and the bark of the bacab tree.
(c) Millk and sugar.
(d) Wine with oranges.
13. What nickname does Sol's nanny call her?
14. What tree is in full bloom as Julian walks home in Chapter 6?
15. What does Sol's nanny think it's well past time for in Sol's life?
(a) Staying up late.
(b) Giving up her childhood blanket.
(c) Her long hair.
(d) A husband.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Sol see when she stands before the statue of St. Rita?
2. Who does Sol's nanny say will be coming to find her?
3. What weapon does Julian have concealed under his vest?
4. What does Julian do when the organ grinder's monkey puts his tin cup in front of him?
5. What toast does Julian make in Chapter 5?
This section contains 442 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)