|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Lucia first react when she reads the article about Julian's debate speech?
2. How does St. Rita show her answers to people's prayers?
(a) By giving them a sign.
(b) Through tears of blood on the statue.
(c) Through violent storms.
(d) By talking to them.
3. What does Julian say he will be in his life?
(a) A talker.
(b) A doer.
(c) A thinker.
(d) A dreamer.
4. In what town does Julian arrive when he reaches Guatemala?
(a) Guatemala City.
(c) Puerto Dulce.
(d) San Marcos.
5. What does Senor Fremin write to ask a colleague?
(a) For directions.
(b) For money.
(c) About a teaching position for Julian.
(d) For recommendations on airfare.
6. What keys does Professor Saavedra give Julian access to?
(a) Keys to the city.
(b) House keys.
(c) Keys to the bookcases.
(d) Keys to the classrooms.
7. What is a "cirio"?
(a) A mule's name.
(b) Special dessert.
(d) Thick candles to give to St. Rita's statue.
8. What is the name of Sol's nanny?
9. What does the organ grinder's monkey do when people place a coin in his tin cup?
(b) Hops up on their shoulder.
(c) Gives them a piece of paper with a fortune on it.
(d) Does a somersault.
10. What is Julian's fiancee's name?
11. What is the discussion topic on the debate organized by Saavedra?
(a) The future of Guatemala.
(b) The influence of the Spanish on Guatemala.
(c) Which is mightier: the sword or the pen?
(d) The changing culture.
12. What does Julian sleep in when he is in the Guatemalan jungle?
(a) a tent.
(b) A blanket.
(c) A hammock.
(d) A sleeping bag.
13. Who is Julian's fiancee the daughter of?
(a) An American government official.
(b) A Cuban lawyer.
(c) A Spanish clerk.
(d) A Mexican police officer.
14. Why does Sol say she agreed to visit St. Rita?
(a) She wants to see what others pray for.
(b) To get her nanny to stop bothering her.
(c) Out of deep belief in her powers.
(d) She is conducting a study.
15. What is the setting of the Prologue?
(b) Guatemala City.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens when Sol stands before the saint's shrine?
2. What does Julian say about Saavedra in Chapter 5?
3. What is the El Ultimo?
4. Why is Julian anxious to become established in Guatemala City?
5. Who is Panoplo?
This section contains 431 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)