|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Julian reach Guatemala City after he leaves the steamship?
(d) Mule team.
2. What does Sol have to climb when she visits St. Rita?
(a) A hill.
(b) A fence.
3. What does Sol's nanny say she must do to prepare for her visit to the shrine of St. Rita?
(a) Eat heartily.
(b) Curl her hair.
(c) Drink wine.
(d) Fast after midnight.
4. What nickname does Sol's nanny call her?
5. What is the name of the statue that Julian sees in El Parque de La Victoria?
(a) Gautemalan Revolution.
(b) Children at Play.
(c) The Spirit of Guatemala.
(d) The Mighty General.
6. How does St. Rita show her answers to people's prayers?
(a) By giving them a sign.
(b) Through violent storms.
(c) Through tears of blood on the statue.
(d) By talking to them.
7. What does Julian ask Panoplo about?
(a) The time.
(b) How to grow vegetables.
(c) Mayan life and culture.
8. What is Julian's state of being when he is getting a fortune from the monkey?
9. How did Julian propose to his fiancee?
(a) On a whim.
(b) After their discussion on the matter.
(c) After his girlfriend told him she loved him.
(d) After thinking it over for a year.
10. What is a "cirio"?
(b) Special dessert.
(c) Thick candles to give to St. Rita's statue.
(d) A mule's name.
11. Who is Senor Fremin?
(a) Julian's uncle.
(b) Julian's friend.
(c) Enemy of Julian's.
(d) Police officer.
12. What is the El Ultimo?
(a) Name of a park.
(b) Hiking Shop.
13. What time did Sol visit the the statue of St. Rita?
(a) Ten pm.
(c) Six am.
14. At the beginning of the novel, how many weeks had passed since Julian left Mexico City?
15. What sentiment frightens Lucia in the words Julian wrote on the back of a postcard?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Julian sleep in when he is in the Guatemalan jungle?
2. What does the organ grinder's monkey do when people place a coin in his tin cup?
3. Where does Lucia paste the postcard that Julian sent her?
4. How old is Sol when the story begins?
5. Why does Sol say she agreed to visit St. Rita?
This section contains 427 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)