|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Lucia put on the back of the newspaper article about Julian?
2. How long ago was Julian exiled from his country of birth?
(a) Nine years.
(b) Seven years.
(c) Twenty years.
(d) One year.
3. In what town does Julian arrive when he reaches Guatemala?
(a) San Marcos.
(c) Puerto Dulce.
(d) Guatemala City.
4. Why is Julian anxious to become established in Guatemala City?
(a) So he can become a government official.
(b) So he can send for his fiancee.
(c) So he can be friends with Spanish rulers.
(d) To show Cuba he is powerful.
5. Why does Professor Saavedra say Julian should arrive as soon as possible in Guatemala City?
(a) To take his class.
(b) To be approved for a job.
(c) To meet his wife.
(d) Before the border is closed.
6. What time did Sol visit the the statue of St. Rita?
(a) Six am.
(d) Ten pm.
7. What does Professor Saavedra say about the Escuela Central when he shows Julian around it?
(a) Julian will never be good enough to teach there.
(b) It is a monumental building.
(c) It is in decay.
(d) He is ashamed to teach there.
8. Who does Sol's nanny say will be coming to find her?
(a) Her love.
(b) The Pope.
(c) The police.
(d) Her parents.
9. How does St. Rita show her answers to people's prayers?
(a) Through tears of blood on the statue.
(b) By giving them a sign.
(c) By talking to them.
(d) Through violent storms.
10. What nationality is Professor Saavedra?
11. What is Sol's hair color?
12. What does Julian lose when he is walking home in Chapter 6?
(a) Pocket money.
(b) The pale cream piece of paper.
(c) A book.
(d) His revolver.
13. What does Pellejuda mean?
(d) Bag o' Bones.
14. What is the name of the statue that Julian sees in El Parque de La Victoria?
(a) The Spirit of Guatemala.
(b) Children at Play.
(c) The Mighty General.
(d) Gautemalan Revolution.
15. How does the audience respond to Julian's talk at the end of the debate in Chapter 8?
(a) In disgust.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Julian say he will be in his life?
2. What do the flaming lanterns on the streets of Guatemala look like to Julian at night?
3. What does Sol have to climb when she visits St. Rita?
4. What kind of courses does Julian teach part-time in Chapter 7?
5. What sentiment frightens Lucia in the words Julian wrote on the back of a postcard?
This section contains 430 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)