1. What is the setting of the Prologue?
(d) Guatemala City.
2. What sounds awaken Sol from her siesta at the beginning of the novel?
(a) Vendors calling.
(b) Hundreds of bells pealing.
(c) People shouting.
(d) Mules braying.
3. What is Sol's hair color?
4. What is Sol writing in when the reader first meets her?
(b) School textbook.
5. What time did Sol visit the the statue of St. Rita?
(a) Ten pm.
(b) Six am.
6. What is the name of Sol's nanny?
7. How old is Sol when the story begins?
(c) Almost eighteen.
8. What nickname does Sol's nanny call her?
9. What does Sol's nanny say she must do to prepare for her visit to the shrine of St. Rita?
(a) Eat heartily.
(b) Fast after midnight.
(c) Drink wine.
(d) Curl her hair.
10. What is a "cirio"?
(a) A mule's name.
(b) Thick candles to give to St. Rita's statue.
(d) Special dessert.
This section contains 4,031 words
(approx. 14 pages at 300 words per page)