|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The long term effects of chemical exposure, per Carson, are easy to ignore as long as they are ___________.
2. Chemical residues in _______ are another source of gradual buildup of chemicals in the body.
3. What kind of creature plays a vital role as a source for food, as well as being an aerator, a scavenger, and a source of bait?
4. The narrow ___________ is the tiniest structure in the human body.
5. A chemically weakened environment opens the door to explosive insect ____________.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Spraying campaigns were once the normal thing to do in order to take control of insect populations - but they are now seen as devastating actions to take.
Part 1: Describe the results of the gypsy spraying campaign.
Part 2: Describe the results of the fire ant eradication.
Part 3: Why are insects so crucial to save in relation to the environment and its ecosystems?
Essay Topic 2
In the end, Carson explains there are number ways of controlling pests and problems in the environment - without causing harm.
Part 1: Describe the suggestion of sterilization as it applies to controlling insects.
Part 2: Describe the suggestion of using the insects' own chemical processes.
Part 3: Describe the process of forest hygiene.
Essay Topic 3
The loss of the songs of the birds is a frightening idea to many readers. In trying to control the world, the birds are leaving for other areas or dying off completely.
Part 1: Describe why the birds are leaving certain areas.
Part 2: Summarize the Dutch Elm Disease response and how it affected bird populations.
Part 3: What might have been a more natural response to the Dutch Elm Disease problem?
This section contains 293 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)