Final Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the cellular structure that contains enzymes which accomplish the work of energy production?
2. Chemicals that act upon our genes can cause sudden __________, producing new and undesirable changes in subsequent generations.
3. Without functioning ____________, even our organs are useless.
4. What is the name of the chemical that changes form once it enters the environment, becoming another more deadly chemical?
5. _____________ is not the only source of chemical contamination in the world.
Essay Topic 1
The water in the world may be plentiful, but that does not necessarily mean it is usable for humans.
Part 1: Why is much of the water on the Earth not drinkable?
Part 2: What are some causes for the most recent water pollution findings?
Part 3: How do pollutants travel from one water source to another?
Essay Topic 2
Carson attempts to explain that humanity's ever growing need to control the world is actually what is damaging it the most.
Part 1: What are some ways in which humanity attempts to control the natural world?
Part 2: What are the aftereffects of these methods of control?
Part 3: How can controls be altered so that they are not harmful in their applications?
Essay Topic 3
The world that Carson describes in the beginning of "Silent Spring" is one that provokes several reactions from readers.
Part 1: Describe the first world that Carson envisions in the first chapter of the book.
Part 2: How does the world change as the description continues on?
Part 3: Why does Carson use this description in the beginning of the book?
This section contains 276 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)