|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. ___________ health problems used to be caused by diseases like smallpox, cholera, and the plague.
2. What do some insects carry that makes their termination so important in today's times?
3. Fire ants' mounds actually serve to ________ the soil, which is a good thing.
4. There has been a huge increase in the incidence of ___________ and in our awareness of it in fewer than 200 years.
5. Without functioning ____________, even our organs are useless.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The idea of weeds seems to be more of a man made idea rather than a real threat to the world.
Part 1: Describe how Carson sees the presence of weeds in relation to humans.
Part 2: Why are weeds still important to the Earth?
Part 3: Describe the example of the sagebrush versus the grasslands in the American West.
Essay Topic 2
To help avoid using too many chemicals, some people have resorted to selective spraying.
Part 1: Describe what selective spraying is and how it is used in the world.
Part 2: What are the advantages of selective spraying?
Part 3: What are the disadvantages to selective spraying?
Essay Topic 3
As all of the Earth's water systems are connected, the pollution of one means the pollution of them all.
Part 1: Summarize one of the examples Carson presents in Chapter 4. What happened during this time of water pollution?
Part 2: What are the main concerns with it comes to water pollution?
Part 3: Is there any way to stop water pollution? Why or why not?
This section contains 263 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)