|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the form of energy which is produced at every stage of the mitochondrial process?
2. What is not one of the now chemically resistant insects in the United States?
3. The __________ system is susceptible to damage by toxins like chlorinated hydrocarbons and organic phosphates.
4. What kinds of insects are becoming resistant to the chemical sprayings?
5. What does the narrow window reveal when seen from far away?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The world that Carson describes in the beginning of "Silent Spring" is one that provokes several reactions from readers.
Part 1: Describe the first world that Carson envisions in the first chapter of the book.
Part 2: How does the world change as the description continues on?
Part 3: Why does Carson use this description in the beginning of the book?
Essay Topic 2
In the chapter, "Rivers of Death," the plight of the salmon is described in detail.
Part 1: What is the problem with the salmon as described by Carson?
Part 2: How might this problem have affected the surrounding areas?
Part 3: Why can't the fish population help itself? What are some of the ways in which they are going to have a lot of troubles rebounding from this decimation?
Essay Topic 3
Animals are just as affected by the use of insecticides and pesticides as the pests themselves.
Part 1: What are some of the ways in which animals are affected by the chemical use?
Part 2: How are the animals exposed to the chemicals in the first place?
Part 3: What might be the long term affects of the harm of animals in the world?
This section contains 1,457 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)