|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are many chemicals sold in that could result in high chemical exposure if dropped by the consumer?
2. Our __________ carry thousands of years of adaptation and evolution to us.
3. What kind of creature plays a vital role as a source for food, as well as being an aerator, a scavenger, and a source of bait?
4. The temporary elimination of some ___________ will continue to result in horrific and permanent physical trauma.
5. During what war time was the spraying of chemicals made more intense and more widespread?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In the end, Carson explains there are number ways of controlling pests and problems in the environment - without causing harm.
Part 1: Describe the suggestion of sterilization as it applies to controlling insects.
Part 2: Describe the suggestion of using the insects' own chemical processes.
Part 3: Describe the process of forest hygiene.
Essay Topic 2
The cycle between the various areas of the environment begins to reveal just how intertwined everything is - and how horrible it would be if one part of the cycle is disrupted.
Part 1: Describe the cycle that takes place between the plants, the soil, and the animals.
Part 2: Why is the soil so important in this life cycle?
Part 3: What is the role of the insects and the mites in the soil?
Essay Topic 3
Life is something that has existed for millions of years, but the introduction of humans has altered the way life has changed.
Part 1: What does Carson have to say about the way humans have affected the world around them?
Part 2: What does Carson say about how the environment generally interacts with itself?
Part 3: What does Carson mean by the idea that "life does not have the luxury of time?"
This section contains 310 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)