|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The temporary elimination of some ___________ will continue to result in horrific and permanent physical trauma.
2. ______________ do not kill people or birds, although the US government said they did.
3. _______________ can be much more effective at controlling budworm.
4. ______ ponds are particularly susceptible to poisoning because of their proximity to chemically treated fields.
5. _______________ has been largely controlled through improved living conditions and sanitation.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In the chapter, "Rivers of Death," the plight of the salmon is described in detail.
Part 1: What is the problem with the salmon as described by Carson?
Part 2: How might this problem have affected the surrounding areas?
Part 3: Why can't the fish population help itself? What are some of the ways in which they are going to have a lot of troubles rebounding from this decimation?
Essay Topic 2
The use of pesticides is so rampant that it is causing troubles already, even at the time that this book was published in 1965.
Part 1: Why are pesticides so rampant in the world?
Part 2: What do scientists have a hard time doing because of the widespread use of pesticides?
Part 3: What are some of the physical effects of pesticide use? Where are pesticides now found?
Essay Topic 3
The water in the world may be plentiful, but that does not necessarily mean it is usable for humans.
Part 1: Why is much of the water on the Earth not drinkable?
Part 2: What are some causes for the most recent water pollution findings?
Part 3: How do pollutants travel from one water source to another?
This section contains 280 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)