|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The ___________ is strictly a forest insect, which is why people were outraged when residential areas were sprayed to control it.
2. ________________ are affected because poisoned fish are not a source of food to sell.
3. What posed no threat, only a minor annoyance, yet was still the target of a massive spraying campaign?
4. What organ works to filter out the chemicals that enter the human body?
5. Most people's chemical exposure comes ___________ rather than in mass sprayings.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In the end, Carson explains there are number ways of controlling pests and problems in the environment - without causing harm.
Part 1: Describe the suggestion of sterilization as it applies to controlling insects.
Part 2: Describe the suggestion of using the insects' own chemical processes.
Part 3: Describe the process of forest hygiene.
Essay Topic 2
Pests are some of the main targets of chemicals in the world. Humans try to kill pests every chance they get, in a variety of different ways and for numerous reasons.
Part 1: What are some of the pests humans try to rid the world of?
Part 2: What happens when a pest is eradicated from an area?
Part 3: What happens to the soil that is in the area where the pests have been eradicated?
Essay Topic 3
Life is something that has existed for millions of years, but the introduction of humans has altered the way life has changed.
Part 1: What does Carson have to say about the way humans have affected the world around them?
Part 2: What does Carson say about how the environment generally interacts with itself?
Part 3: What does Carson mean by the idea that "life does not have the luxury of time?"
This section contains 1,473 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)