|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. There has been a huge increase in the incidence of ___________ and in our awareness of it in fewer than 200 years.
2. Without functioning ____________, even our organs are useless.
3. Radiation and arsenic are naturally occurring substances that cause _________.
4. The fish may die some time after spraying as the toxins can be released from ____________.
5. ______ ponds are particularly susceptible to poisoning because of their proximity to chemically treated fields.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Pesticides are the main concern of Carson throughout this book, and with good reason.
Part 1: List some of the chemicals which Carson describes in detail in this book.
Part 2: Choose one chemical and describe the ways in which it is affecting the Earth, according to Carson.
Part 3: Why are pesticides so important to discuss in relation to the management of the environment?
Essay Topic 2
As all of the Earth's water systems are connected, the pollution of one means the pollution of them all.
Part 1: Summarize one of the examples Carson presents in Chapter 4. What happened during this time of water pollution?
Part 2: What are the main concerns with it comes to water pollution?
Part 3: Is there any way to stop water pollution? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
The idea of weeds seems to be more of a man made idea rather than a real threat to the world.
Part 1: Describe how Carson sees the presence of weeds in relation to humans.
Part 2: Why are weeds still important to the Earth?
Part 3: Describe the example of the sagebrush versus the grasslands in the American West.
This section contains 277 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)