|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the widespread Canadian spraying program designed to control the population of?
2. It may be impossible to tell what is __________ and what is effect because there may be years between the two.
3. __________________ is the basis of all life function.
4. The American Cancer Society estimates that ______ out of 3 families will be stricken by cancer.
5. Every cell in the body is involved in the production of ___________.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
To help avoid using too many chemicals, some people have resorted to selective spraying.
Part 1: Describe what selective spraying is and how it is used in the world.
Part 2: What are the advantages of selective spraying?
Part 3: What are the disadvantages to selective spraying?
Essay Topic 2
The world that Carson describes in the beginning of "Silent Spring" is one that provokes several reactions from readers.
Part 1: Describe the first world that Carson envisions in the first chapter of the book.
Part 2: How does the world change as the description continues on?
Part 3: Why does Carson use this description in the beginning of the book?
Essay Topic 3
Animals are just as affected by the use of insecticides and pesticides as the pests themselves.
Part 1: What are some of the ways in which animals are affected by the chemical use?
Part 2: How are the animals exposed to the chemicals in the first place?
Part 3: What might be the long term affects of the harm of animals in the world?
This section contains 1,455 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)