|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Because all foods contain chemicals, even in small doses, the human exposure is enormous in the __________.
2. The spraying of chemicals became more widespread because of new insecticides and a surplus of ___________.
3. What kind of disease can fleas carry and then transmit to humans as a result of a bite?
4. What is the name of the chemical that changes form once it enters the environment, becoming another more deadly chemical?
5. Our chemical attacks on insects have weakened entire ___________.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The loss of the songs of the birds is a frightening idea to many readers. In trying to control the world, the birds are leaving for other areas or dying off completely.
Part 1: Describe why the birds are leaving certain areas.
Part 2: Summarize the Dutch Elm Disease response and how it affected bird populations.
Part 3: What might have been a more natural response to the Dutch Elm Disease problem?
Essay Topic 2
The idea of weeds seems to be more of a man made idea rather than a real threat to the world.
Part 1: Describe how Carson sees the presence of weeds in relation to humans.
Part 2: Why are weeds still important to the Earth?
Part 3: Describe the example of the sagebrush versus the grasslands in the American West.
Essay Topic 3
Animals are just as affected by the use of insecticides and pesticides as the pests themselves.
Part 1: What are some of the ways in which animals are affected by the chemical use?
Part 2: How are the animals exposed to the chemicals in the first place?
Part 3: What might be the long term affects of the harm of animals in the world?
This section contains 293 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)