|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did farm animals stop doing as a result of the fire any eradication program?
2. What are printed in tiny type and largely ignored by consumers?
3. Our individual bodies have a kind of _______, just as the larger environment does.
4. What kind of disease can fleas carry and then transmit to humans as a result of a bite?
5. It may be impossible to tell what is __________ and what is effect because there may be years between the two.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Pests are some of the main targets of chemicals in the world. Humans try to kill pests every chance they get, in a variety of different ways and for numerous reasons.
Part 1: What are some of the pests humans try to rid the world of?
Part 2: What happens when a pest is eradicated from an area?
Part 3: What happens to the soil that is in the area where the pests have been eradicated?
Essay Topic 2
Carson offers solutions to the troubles of 'weeds' and insects as well, not just a litany of troubles that are being caused by man's need for control.
Part 1: What are some ways Carson says one could naturally control the spread of 'weeds'?
Part 2: What are some of the ways Carson suggests to control insects that are unwanted in a particular area?
Part 3: Doesn't any form of control harm the environment? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Spraying campaigns were once the normal thing to do in order to take control of insect populations - but they are now seen as devastating actions to take.
Part 1: Describe the results of the gypsy spraying campaign.
Part 2: Describe the results of the fire ant eradication.
Part 3: Why are insects so crucial to save in relation to the environment and its ecosystems?
This section contains 323 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)