Final Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the cellular structure that contains enzymes which accomplish the work of energy production?
2. Chemicals that act upon our genes can cause sudden __________, producing new and undesirable changes in subsequent generations.
3. Without functioning ____________, even our organs are useless.
4. What is the name of the chemical that changes form once it enters the environment, becoming another more deadly chemical?
5. _____________ is not the only source of chemical contamination in the world.
Essay Topic 1
The world that Carson describes in the beginning of "Silent Spring" is one that provokes several reactions from readers.
Part 1: Describe the first world that Carson envisions in the first chapter of the book.
Part 2: How does the world change as the description continues on?
Part 3: Why does Carson use this description in the beginning of the book?
Essay Topic 2
The use of pesticides is so rampant that it is causing troubles already, even at the time that this book was published in 1965.
Part 1: Why are pesticides so rampant in the world?
Part 2: What do scientists have a hard time doing because of the widespread use of pesticides?
Part 3: What are some of the physical effects of pesticide use? Where are pesticides now found?
Essay Topic 3
The idea of weeds seems to be more of a man made idea rather than a real threat to the world.
Part 1: Describe how Carson sees the presence of weeds in relation to humans.
Part 2: Why are weeds still important to the Earth?
Part 3: Describe the example of the sagebrush versus the grasslands in the American West.
This section contains 283 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)