|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the cellular structure that contains enzymes which accomplish the work of energy production?
2. Chemicals that act upon our genes can cause sudden __________, producing new and undesirable changes in subsequent generations.
3. Without functioning ____________, even our organs are useless.
4. What is the name of the chemical that changes form once it enters the environment, becoming another more deadly chemical?
5. _____________ is not the only source of chemical contamination in the world.
Essay Topic 1
Animals are just as affected by the use of insecticides and pesticides as the pests themselves.
Part 1: What are some of the ways in which animals are affected by the chemical use?
Part 2: How are the animals exposed to the chemicals in the first place?
Part 3: What might be the long term affects of the harm of animals in the world?
Essay Topic 2
Pesticides are the main concern of Carson throughout this book, and with good reason.
Part 1: List some of the chemicals which Carson describes in detail in this book.
Part 2: Choose one chemical and describe the ways in which it is affecting the Earth, according to Carson.
Part 3: Why are pesticides so important to discuss in relation to the management of the environment?
Essay Topic 3
The use of pesticides is so rampant that it is causing troubles already, even at the time that this book was published in 1965.
Part 1: Why are pesticides so rampant in the world?
Part 2: What do scientists have a hard time doing because of the widespread use of pesticides?
Part 3: What are some of the physical effects of pesticide use? Where are pesticides now found?
This section contains 1,461 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)