|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Human life adapts to environment changes ____________.
2. What is not one of the now chemically resistant insects in the United States?
3. Many attempts to control ___________ have results in massive fish kills.
4. What is the cellular structure that contains enzymes which accomplish the work of energy production?
5. The limits the government has established regarding chemical levels in foods are __________.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Pesticides are the main concern of Carson throughout this book, and with good reason.
Part 1: List some of the chemicals which Carson describes in detail in this book.
Part 2: Choose one chemical and describe the ways in which it is affecting the Earth, according to Carson.
Part 3: Why are pesticides so important to discuss in relation to the management of the environment?
Essay Topic 2
The water in the world may be plentiful, but that does not necessarily mean it is usable for humans.
Part 1: Why is much of the water on the Earth not drinkable?
Part 2: What are some causes for the most recent water pollution findings?
Part 3: How do pollutants travel from one water source to another?
Essay Topic 3
In the end, Carson explains there are number ways of controlling pests and problems in the environment - without causing harm.
Part 1: Describe the suggestion of sterilization as it applies to controlling insects.
Part 2: Describe the suggestion of using the insects' own chemical processes.
Part 3: Describe the process of forest hygiene.
This section contains 266 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)