|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Our __________ carry thousands of years of adaptation and evolution to us.
2. The spraying of chemicals became more widespread because of new insecticides and a surplus of ___________.
3. What kind of disease can fleas carry and then transmit to humans as a result of a bite?
4. What is the name of the chemical that changes form once it enters the environment, becoming another more deadly chemical?
5. ________________ are affected because poisoned fish are not a source of food to sell.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Life is something that has existed for millions of years, but the introduction of humans has altered the way life has changed.
Part 1: What does Carson have to say about the way humans have affected the world around them?
Part 2: What does Carson say about how the environment generally interacts with itself?
Part 3: What does Carson mean by the idea that "life does not have the luxury of time?"
Essay Topic 2
The loss of the songs of the birds is a frightening idea to many readers. In trying to control the world, the birds are leaving for other areas or dying off completely.
Part 1: Describe why the birds are leaving certain areas.
Part 2: Summarize the Dutch Elm Disease response and how it affected bird populations.
Part 3: What might have been a more natural response to the Dutch Elm Disease problem?
Essay Topic 3
But the truth is that mass spraying is not the only source of chemical contamination in the world.
Part 1: What are some other causes of chemical contamination in the world?
Part 2: Is most people's chemical exposure little by little or in one large dose? Why?
Part 3: What are some of the everyday sources of chemicals in our lives?
This section contains 306 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)