|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The long term effects of chemical exposure, per Carson, are easy to ignore as long as they are ___________.
2. What does the narrow window reveal when seen from far away?
3. ________________ are affected because poisoned fish are not a source of food to sell.
4. What kinds of insects are becoming resistant to the chemical sprayings?
5. ___________ health problems used to be caused by diseases like smallpox, cholera, and the plague.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
To help avoid using too many chemicals, some people have resorted to selective spraying.
Part 1: Describe what selective spraying is and how it is used in the world.
Part 2: What are the advantages of selective spraying?
Part 3: What are the disadvantages to selective spraying?
Essay Topic 2
But the truth is that mass spraying is not the only source of chemical contamination in the world.
Part 1: What are some other causes of chemical contamination in the world?
Part 2: Is most people's chemical exposure little by little or in one large dose? Why?
Part 3: What are some of the everyday sources of chemicals in our lives?
Essay Topic 3
The idea of weeds seems to be more of a man made idea rather than a real threat to the world.
Part 1: Describe how Carson sees the presence of weeds in relation to humans.
Part 2: Why are weeds still important to the Earth?
Part 3: Describe the example of the sagebrush versus the grasslands in the American West.
This section contains 262 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)