|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Radiation and arsenic are naturally occurring substances that cause _________.
2. What was the widespread Canadian spraying program designed to control the population of?
3. What do some insects carry that makes their termination so important in today's times?
4. Insects are controlled by limitations on the amount of _________ available to them, a fact often overlooked by humans.
5. Many attempts to control ___________ have results in massive fish kills.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Animals are just as affected by the use of insecticides and pesticides as the pests themselves.
Part 1: What are some of the ways in which animals are affected by the chemical use?
Part 2: How are the animals exposed to the chemicals in the first place?
Part 3: What might be the long term affects of the harm of animals in the world?
Essay Topic 2
The use of pesticides is so rampant that it is causing troubles already, even at the time that this book was published in 1965.
Part 1: Why are pesticides so rampant in the world?
Part 2: What do scientists have a hard time doing because of the widespread use of pesticides?
Part 3: What are some of the physical effects of pesticide use? Where are pesticides now found?
Essay Topic 3
Pesticides are the main concern of Carson throughout this book, and with good reason.
Part 1: List some of the chemicals which Carson describes in detail in this book.
Part 2: Choose one chemical and describe the ways in which it is affecting the Earth, according to Carson.
Part 3: Why are pesticides so important to discuss in relation to the management of the environment?
This section contains 289 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)