|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Scientists believe that human __________ is unrealistic.
2. Chemical residues in _______ are another source of gradual buildup of chemicals in the body.
3. The fish may die some time after spraying as the toxins can be released from ____________.
4. All foods, according to Carson, contain some level of such poisonous chemicals as __________.
5. What do some insects carry that makes their termination so important in today's times?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The public health problem that comes along with pollution is one of the fears of those in the environmental movement. If things can not be controlled, disaster might strike.
Part 1: Why have the old public health problems of disease become less of an issue today?
Part 2: What are the new public health crises?
Part 3: Why is it so important to public health to control pollution and chemical exposure now?
Essay Topic 2
Carson offers solutions to the troubles of 'weeds' and insects as well, not just a litany of troubles that are being caused by man's need for control.
Part 1: What are some ways Carson says one could naturally control the spread of 'weeds'?
Part 2: What are some of the ways Carson suggests to control insects that are unwanted in a particular area?
Part 3: Doesn't any form of control harm the environment? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
The water in the world may be plentiful, but that does not necessarily mean it is usable for humans.
Part 1: Why is much of the water on the Earth not drinkable?
Part 2: What are some causes for the most recent water pollution findings?
Part 3: How do pollutants travel from one water source to another?
This section contains 291 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)