|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is not one of the animal species which are bolstered by the inclusion of sagebrush in the West?
2. Plants growing in contaminated soil may carry the contaminants into their _____________.
3. What is not produced as a result of not having the pollination process continue?
4. Much of the world's water is polluted by ________ from many sources.
5. The roadsides are lush with trees, ferns, and ____________.
Short Essay Questions
1. What are synthetic pesticides now made of, as opposed to the naturally occurring minerals which were once used before the war?
2. What happens when plants grow within the chemically-laced soil?
3. What do more American children die from today than from any other disease, according to the book as it was written in its own time period?
4. What are two of the factors which are contributing to the chemical deposits in the earth, water, and living tissues?
5. What puzzles the doctors during the mysterious blight in this area?
6. What are some of the ways humans have done great damage to other life forms, according to Carson?
7. What is unlikely to bounce back after spraying that kill large numbers of their kind?
8. What is the basis of all life function, according to Carson's writing in this chapter?
9. What has the environment played an important role in forming, according to this chapter?
10. What makes humans different from the plants and animals in nature, with regard to their ability to do?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In the chapter, "Rivers of Death," the plight of the salmon is described in detail.
Part 1: What is the problem with the salmon as described by Carson?
Part 2: How might this problem have affected the surrounding areas?
Part 3: Why can't the fish population help itself? What are some of the ways in which they are going to have a lot of troubles rebounding from this decimation?
Essay Topic 2
Animals are just as affected by the use of insecticides and pesticides as the pests themselves.
Part 1: What are some of the ways in which animals are affected by the chemical use?
Part 2: How are the animals exposed to the chemicals in the first place?
Part 3: What might be the long term affects of the harm of animals in the world?
Essay Topic 3
The loss of the songs of the birds is a frightening idea to many readers. In trying to control the world, the birds are leaving for other areas or dying off completely.
Part 1: Describe why the birds are leaving certain areas.
Part 2: Summarize the Dutch Elm Disease response and how it affected bird populations.
Part 3: What might have been a more natural response to the Dutch Elm Disease problem?
This section contains 650 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)