|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is plentiful in the streams, providing good fishing spots since early settler times?
2. The Earth's soil is a ______________ of living creatures, all interdependent.
3. What is not produced as a result of not having the pollination process continue?
4. Because animals are affected by chemicals, scientists are having a hard time finding uncontaminated animals to serve as _________ in experiments.
5. Wildlife is unlikely to bounce back after _________ that kill large numbers of their kind.
Short Essay Questions
1. Where does people's chemical exposure mainly come from, according to Carson?
2. What do our individual bodies have that the larger environment does as well?
3. Why do the tourists come to see the birds, as stated in this opening chapter?
4. How are commercial fishermen affected by the spread of chemicals among the fish population?
5. What have red ants been used for in the matter of forest hygiene?
6. What puzzles the doctors during the mysterious blight in this area?
7. What is the name of the cancer that develops rapidly in patients?
8. What kinds of trees are in the forests described in this chapter?
9. What is the basis of all life function, according to Carson's writing in this chapter?
10. Why is the eagle population suffering in relation to the chemicals being used in pest control?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The idea of weeds seems to be more of a man made idea rather than a real threat to the world.
Part 1: Describe how Carson sees the presence of weeds in relation to humans.
Part 2: Why are weeds still important to the Earth?
Part 3: Describe the example of the sagebrush versus the grasslands in the American West.
Essay Topic 2
In the chapter, "Rivers of Death," the plight of the salmon is described in detail.
Part 1: What is the problem with the salmon as described by Carson?
Part 2: How might this problem have affected the surrounding areas?
Part 3: Why can't the fish population help itself? What are some of the ways in which they are going to have a lot of troubles rebounding from this decimation?
Essay Topic 3
In the end, Carson explains there are number ways of controlling pests and problems in the environment - without causing harm.
Part 1: Describe the suggestion of sterilization as it applies to controlling insects.
Part 2: Describe the suggestion of using the insects' own chemical processes.
Part 3: Describe the process of forest hygiene.
This section contains 588 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)