|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The organic ____________ insecticides like Malathion and parathion are in wide use in 1962, when the book was written.
2. Wildlife biologists and forestry experts __________ the mass killings of so much life.
3. Toxic substances work to stop the body's natural functions; some of them may cause __________ to begin growing.
4. In ___________ in the 1950s, the chemical that appeared in the water had actually been created spontaneously by the interaction of other chemicals present.
5. Because animals are affected by chemicals, scientists are having a hard time finding uncontaminated animals to serve as _________ in experiments.
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Carson say the major public health problems used to be caused by?
2. What have red ants been used for in the matter of forest hygiene?
3. What are some examples of products from a person's everyday life that can contain harmful chemicals?
4. Describe the chemical arsenic, what it does, and how it is used in the world in today's times.
5. Why is the eagle population suffering in relation to the chemicals being used in pest control?
6. What was the cause of the salmon population downfall in the Miramichi River?
7. What is the name of the cancer that develops rapidly in patients?
8. What happens during the sterilization method of insect control?
9. What do the mitochondria of cells do within the body?
10. What is the basis of all life function, according to Carson's writing in this chapter?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The cycle between the various areas of the environment begins to reveal just how intertwined everything is - and how horrible it would be if one part of the cycle is disrupted.
Part 1: Describe the cycle that takes place between the plants, the soil, and the animals.
Part 2: Why is the soil so important in this life cycle?
Part 3: What is the role of the insects and the mites in the soil?
Essay Topic 2
Life is something that has existed for millions of years, but the introduction of humans has altered the way life has changed.
Part 1: What does Carson have to say about the way humans have affected the world around them?
Part 2: What does Carson say about how the environment generally interacts with itself?
Part 3: What does Carson mean by the idea that "life does not have the luxury of time?"
Essay Topic 3
Animals are just as affected by the use of insecticides and pesticides as the pests themselves.
Part 1: What are some of the ways in which animals are affected by the chemical use?
Part 2: How are the animals exposed to the chemicals in the first place?
Part 3: What might be the long term affects of the harm of animals in the world?
This section contains 662 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)