|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The town Carson describes is one where townsfolk and farmers and wildlife all live in _____________.
(b) The same place
2. Not only do chemicals hurt the soil, but they also ____________ the soil for years.
(d) Remain in
3. Due to pollution in its environment, this kind of bird has suffered from extensive population reduction and sterility issues.
4. What lingers on the rooftops in Carson's description of the demise of the environment?
(a) White powder
(c) Black birds
5. Farms and orchards do NOT include these trees, in Carson's description.
Short Answer Questions
1. Radiation used to be limited to that which occurred naturally - in rocks, cosmic rays, and __________.
2. The majority of the Earth's surface is covered with __________.
3. If a robin did not die, it often suffered from __________ as a result of being exposed to DDT.
4. Humans hold a narrow view of _________, using them when they are immediately useful only.
5. Where was the population of Japanese Beetles effectively controlled?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do more American children die from today than from any other disease, according to the book as it was written in its own time period?
2. Describe the cycle of life between the soil, plants, and the animals.
3. What kinds of foods contain the highest levels of chemicals?
4. What are the smallest organisms on the Earth which live in the soil?
5. What are the relatively new sources of water pollution, according to this book?
6. What is the environmental problem that results from all of the water sources of the Earth being connected to each other?
7. What happens when the bees are suddenly gone from this beautiful American town?
8. What is the basis of all life function, according to Carson's writing in this chapter?
9. Why is the eagle population suffering in relation to the chemicals being used in pest control?
10. What is the 'window' that is referred to in the title of this chapter of the book?
This section contains 540 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)