|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The title of this chapter comes from Jean Rostand: "The obligation to endure gives us the right to ___________."
(a) Control others
(d) Do what we want
2. Attempts to control a particular ________ in Clear Lake, California resulted in massive bird death.
3. The population of Japanese Beetles in sprayed areas is ______________ .
(a) Going down
(b) Larger than ever
4. Not only do chemicals hurt the soil, but they also ____________ the soil for years.
(b) Remain in
5. What was one of the chemicals used in the massive spraying in #78?
(d) Bitter orange
Short Answer Questions
1. ______________ birds have also died as a result of the elm spraying.
2. Life is able to adapt to environmental change over _____________, according to Carson.
3. What is the toxin which is released through nuclear explosion?
4. In the modern world, life does not have the luxury of ________.
5. In England, the treatment of _______ with chemicals resulted in widespread bird deaths.
Short Essay Questions
1. What is an unexpected result of the deaths of many birds within an area?
2. What is unlikely to bounce back after spraying that kill large numbers of their kind?
3. What was the immediate and devastating result of the spraying of the land for Dutch Elm Disease?
4. What happened when people in Wyoming unintentionally destroyed the willows in a particular area?
5. What kinds of foods contain the highest levels of chemicals?
6. What does Carson say the major public health problems used to be caused by?
7. Why do the tourists come to see the birds, as stated in this opening chapter?
8. What happens when plants grow within the chemically-laced soil?
9. What are some of the ways humans have done great damage to other life forms, according to Carson?
10. What are synthetic pesticides now made of, as opposed to the naturally occurring minerals which were once used before the war?
This section contains 516 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)