|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The Earth's soil is a ______________ of living creatures, all interdependent.
2. All of the Earth's watersystems are _____________, so contamination of a part is contamination of the whole.
(a) At risk
3. Life is able to adapt to environmental change over _____________, according to Carson.
(a) A year
(b) A few months
(c) A decade
4. What was infected with chemicals that led to the death of so many robins?
(a) Nest building material
5. Plants growing in contaminated soil may carry the contaminants into their _____________.
(a) Neighbor plants
Short Answer Questions
1. Attempts to control a particular ________ in Clear Lake, California resulted in massive bird death.
2. The majority of the Earth's surface is covered with __________.
3. Large-scale, single-crop farming eliminates the _______________ that provided built in control of pests.
4. The business of chemical _______ is booming because people approach plant life without thinking about any perspective but their own immediate desires.
5. Carson wonders - How can we as __________ beings continue to allow such rampant and unjustified killings?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are some of the diseases that insects can carry which are harmful to humans?
2. What is an unexpected result of the deaths of many birds within an area?
3. Why are chemicals seen as so harmful to the soil and to the life within the soil?
4. What does man want to replace the American West's sagebrush with?
5. What is the environmental problem that results from all of the water sources of the Earth being connected to each other?
6. How are commercial fishermen affected by the spread of chemicals among the fish population?
7. What were the results of the spraying of the Japanese beetle in Michigan in 1959?
8. What are some of the reasons why DDT is so harmful to fish?
9. What happened in Clear Lake, California in the 1940s and 1950s?
10. Why did so many birds die as a result of the spraying for Dutch Elm Disease?
This section contains 554 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)