|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The population of Japanese Beetles in sprayed areas is ______________ .
(a) Larger than ever
(c) Going down
2. Other crops show signs of damage or ______ when planted in contaminated soil.
(a) Unnatural height
(c) Better taste
(d) Stunted growth
3. Only _________ have gained the ability to reserve the roles and actually change the environment they live in.
(c) Human beings
4. Every human being now has contact with _________ every moment of his life - even from conception.
(d) Dangerous chemicals
5. Who has poisoned the entire environment, according to Carson as she will prove in this book?
Short Answer Questions
1. Where was the population of Japanese Beetles effectively controlled?
2. The Earth itself is ________ only as long as the creatures within it are.
3. Large-scale, single-crop farming eliminates the _______________ that provided built in control of pests.
4. Attempts to control a particular ________ in Clear Lake, California resulted in massive bird death.
5. ______________ birds have also died as a result of the elm spraying.
Short Essay Questions
1. What do the mitochondria of cells do within the body?
2. How are commercial fishermen affected by the spread of chemicals among the fish population?
3. What puzzles the doctors during the mysterious blight in this area?
4. What was the cause of the salmon population downfall in the Miramichi River?
5. Where does people's chemical exposure mainly come from, according to Carson?
6. According to Carson, what does a chemically weakened environment open the door to?
7. What has the environment played an important role in forming, according to this chapter?
8. What caused the widespread application of chemicals in the time of World War II?
9. What were the results of the gypsy moth spraying in 1956?
10. What are two of the factors which are contributing to the chemical deposits in the earth, water, and living tissues?
This section contains 491 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)