|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The campaign in the American West to replace _______ with grass is one example of man's arrogant approach to plants.
2. What is not one of the animal species which are bolstered by the inclusion of sagebrush in the West?
(a) Pronghorn antelope
(b) Sage grouse
(c) Red tailed hawk
(d) Mule deer
3. What is plentiful in the streams, providing good fishing spots since early settler times?
4. Humans __________ plants when an an immediate use is not obvious for a plant.
5. The business of chemical _______ is booming because people approach plant life without thinking about any perspective but their own immediate desires.
(c) Weed killers
Short Answer Questions
1. How was the large population of sagebrush destroyed in the West?
2. What is used to pollinate the plants and to pollinate the trees?
3. The roadsides are lush with trees, ferns, and ____________.
4. Large areas of Michigan were sprayed in 1959 in order to try to control what insect?
5. What becomes more numerous when the bird population goes down?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens during the sterilization method of insect control?
2. Why is the eagle population suffering in relation to the chemicals being used in pest control?
3. What are some of the reasons why DDT is so harmful to fish?
4. What does Carson encourage readers to do in relation to the information they receive about pollution and pest control?
5. How has infectious disease been controlled in modern society?
6. What did the chemical warfare of World War II lead to?
7. Where does radiation tend to occur naturally, as it has for many years before the time of the humans?
8. What caused the widespread application of chemicals in the time of World War II?
9. How is the development of chemical resistance within the insect population a strong example of natural selection?
10. What happens when the fat stores of the fish are being drawn upon for energy?
This section contains 548 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)