|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In England, the treatment of _______ with chemicals resulted in widespread bird deaths.
2. Large areas of Michigan were sprayed in 1959 in order to try to control what insect?
(c) Japanese beetle
(d) Chinese ladybug
3. Chemical insecticides and herbicides are challenging because they are _____________.
(a) Hidden from view
(c) Sometimes safe
(d) Difficult to detect
4. _____________ hurts the soil on a virtually permanent basis, according to Carson.
(b) Wild orange oil
(c) Corn crops
5. Chemicals can travel down ___________ or in underground aquifers to the bodies of water.
Short Answer Questions
1. The title of this chapter comes from Jean Rostand: "The obligation to endure gives us the right to ___________."
2. Who has poisoned the entire environment, according to Carson as she will prove in this book?
3. Continued use of pesticides could very well damage soil ___________.
4. For almost every human being on the planet, synthetic pesticides are present in _______ and probably in bodily tissues from the beginning.
5. The town Carson describes is one where townsfolk and farmers and wildlife all live in _____________.
Short Essay Questions
1. How is the development of chemical resistance within the insect population a strong example of natural selection?
2. What has the environment played an important role in forming, according to this chapter?
3. What is the basis of all life function, according to Carson's writing in this chapter?
4. What happens when plants grow within the chemically-laced soil?
5. What are the relatively new sources of water pollution, according to this book?
6. What makes humans different from the plants and animals in nature, with regard to their ability to do?
7. What happens to the liver when it processes chemicals in the body?
8. What happened in Clear Lake, California in the 1940s and 1950s?
9. What kinds of foods contain the highest levels of chemicals?
10. What does Carson say the major public health problems used to be caused by?
This section contains 550 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)