|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Without plants, there could be no _________ of any kind.
2. Toxic substances work to stop the body's natural functions; some of them may cause __________ to begin growing.
(a) Cancer cells
(d) Poisonous reactions
3. What is the name for chemicals that mix with other pollutants and substances in the water, producing unidentifiable results?
4. Spraying for the ________ began in the 1950s and resulted in the death of robins.
(a) Gypsy moth
(b) Fire ants
(c) Dutch Elm Disease
(d) French beetles
5. How was the large population of sagebrush destroyed in the West?
(c) Physical removal
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the naturally occurring mineral that is toxic to humans and most creatures but is still used as a pesticide?
2. In ___________ in the 1950s, the chemical that appeared in the water had actually been created spontaneously by the interaction of other chemicals present.
3. Repeated spraying lead to poisoned environments in which not only are resident creatures killed, but also those that _________ there.
4. All of the Earth's watersystems are _____________, so contamination of a part is contamination of the whole.
5. What was one of the chemicals used in the massive spraying in #78?
Short Essay Questions
1. What caused the widespread application of chemicals in the time of World War II?
2. What happens when plants grow within the chemically-laced soil?
3. What do our individual bodies have that the larger environment does as well?
4. Where does radiation tend to occur naturally, as it has for many years before the time of the humans?
5. What are the smallest organisms on the Earth which live in the soil?
6. What happens when the bees are suddenly gone from this beautiful American town?
7. What is an unexpected result of the deaths of many birds within an area?
8. What did the chemical warfare of World War II lead to?
9. How are commercial fishermen affected by the spread of chemicals among the fish population?
10. What are some of the reasons why DDT is so harmful to fish?
This section contains 533 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)