|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Wildlife is unlikely to bounce back after _________ that kill large numbers of their kind.
(a) Weather patterns
2. The roadsides are lush with trees, ferns, and ____________.
3. What is not one of the animal species which are bolstered by the inclusion of sagebrush in the West?
(a) Mule deer
(b) Sage grouse
(c) Pronghorn antelope
(d) Red tailed hawk
4. Studies on the __________ in areas previously sprayed with DDT have confirmed that DDT remains in the birds at least one generation after the spraying.
5. Farms and orchards do NOT include these trees, in Carson's description.
Short Answer Questions
1. ____________ can eliminate only the unwanted plants and give the beneficial plants a chance to thrive.
2. The business of chemical _______ is booming because people approach plant life without thinking about any perspective but their own immediate desires.
3. In many cases, the spraying is killing wildflowers which attract ___________.
4. In ___________ in the 1950s, the chemical that appeared in the water had actually been created spontaneously by the interaction of other chemicals present.
5. Humans hold a narrow view of _________, using them when they are immediately useful only.
Short Essay Questions
1. What were the results of the spraying of the Japanese beetle in Michigan in 1959?
2. What happened when people in Wyoming unintentionally destroyed the willows in a particular area?
3. What happens when plants grow within the chemically-laced soil?
4. What did the chemical warfare of World War II lead to?
5. What kinds of trees are in the forests described in this chapter?
6. What happens when the fat stores of the fish are being drawn upon for energy?
7. What are the relatively new sources of water pollution, according to this book?
8. What were some of the lies the government told about the fire any population?
9. What human function is adversely affected by exposure to chemicals and to radiation, disrupting the universal currency of energy?
10. What are some of the reasons why DDT is so harmful to fish?
This section contains 542 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)