|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. All of the Earth's watersystems are _____________, so contamination of a part is contamination of the whole.
(c) At risk
2. What is contaminated with DDT so that it ends up affecting a human consumer of eggs?
(a) Chicken feed
(c) Hay in the barn
3. ____________ can eliminate only the unwanted plants and give the beneficial plants a chance to thrive.
(a) Dangerous chemicals
(c) Selective spraying
(d) Targeted extermination
4. Life is able to adapt to environmental change over _____________, according to Carson.
(b) A year
(c) A few months
(d) A decade
5. Chemicals can travel down ___________ or in underground aquifers to the bodies of water.
Short Answer Questions
1. The majority of the Earth's surface is covered with __________.
2. Humankind is producing new ________ in the laboratory, though these used to be limited only to nature's actions.
3. DDT seems to be able to be stored in the __________ tissues of the body.
4. Plants and animals specifically ________ to live in whatever their environments are.
5. Continued use of pesticides could very well damage soil ___________.
Short Essay Questions
1. What do the mitochondria of cells do within the body?
2. What is an unexpected result of the deaths of many birds within an area?
3. What makes humans different from the plants and animals in nature, with regard to their ability to do?
4. Why are chemicals seen as so harmful to the soil and to the life within the soil?
5. What happened when people in Wyoming unintentionally destroyed the willows in a particular area?
6. Describe the chemical arsenic, what it does, and how it is used in the world in today's times.
7. What have red ants been used for in the matter of forest hygiene?
8. What is happening to insects, even though there have been mass applications of chemicals to get rid of them?
9. According to Carson, what does a chemically weakened environment open the door to?
10. What happens to the liver when it processes chemicals in the body?
This section contains 543 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)