|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The population of Japanese Beetles in sprayed areas is ______________ .
(a) Larger than ever
(c) Going down
2. What was one of the chemicals used in the massive spraying in #78?
(c) Bitter orange
3. The organic ____________ insecticides like Malathion and parathion are in wide use in 1962, when the book was written.
4. In the modern world, life does not have the luxury of ________.
5. The town Carson describes _________ actually exist.
(b) Does not
Short Answer Questions
1. Wildlife biologists and forestry experts __________ the mass killings of so much life.
2. What is the toxin which is released through nuclear explosion?
3. What becomes more numerous when the bird population goes down?
4. What group of substances includes insecticides and pesticides?
5. How was the large population of sagebrush destroyed in the West?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are some of the reasons why DDT is so harmful to fish?
2. What caused the widespread application of chemicals in the time of World War II?
3. What do the mitochondria of cells do within the body?
4. What happens when the fat stores of the fish are being drawn upon for energy?
5. What kinds of foods contain the highest levels of chemicals?
6. What is contained in food that is another source of lethal chemicals in the human body?
7. How does Carson think weeds are defined by most people in today's world?
8. What are some of the diseases that insects can carry which are harmful to humans?
9. What happened when people in Wyoming unintentionally destroyed the willows in a particular area?
10. What does Carson say the major public health problems used to be caused by?
This section contains 487 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)