|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The title of this chapter comes from Jean Rostand: "The obligation to endure gives us the right to ___________."
(a) Control others
(d) Do what we want
2. Studies on the __________ in areas previously sprayed with DDT have confirmed that DDT remains in the birds at least one generation after the spraying.
3. Chemical insecticides and herbicides are challenging because they are _____________.
(b) Sometimes safe
(c) Hidden from view
(d) Difficult to detect
4. Repeated spraying lead to poisoned environments in which not only are resident creatures killed, but also those that _________ there.
(b) Were born
(d) Are near to
5. Humans hold a narrow view of _________, using them when they are immediately useful only.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was not one of the results of the sprayings in Michigan?
2. What was infected with chemicals that led to the death of so many robins?
3. Who has poisoned the entire environment, according to Carson as she will prove in this book?
4. The Earth's soil is a ______________ of living creatures, all interdependent.
5. Where was the population of Japanese Beetles effectively controlled?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does man want to replace the American West's sagebrush with?
2. What is unlikely to bounce back after spraying that kill large numbers of their kind?
3. What did the chemical warfare of World War II lead to?
4. What are some of the reasons why DDT is so harmful to fish?
5. What kinds of foods contain the highest levels of chemicals?
6. What happened when people in Wyoming unintentionally destroyed the willows in a particular area?
7. According to Carson, what does a chemically weakened environment open the door to?
8. How are commercial fishermen affected by the spread of chemicals among the fish population?
9. What has happened with synthetic pesticides within less than twenty years of their existence?
10. Where does people's chemical exposure mainly come from, according to Carson?
This section contains 540 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)