Mid-Book Test - Medium
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How was the large population of sagebrush destroyed in the West?
(a) Physical removal
2. Herbicides can change the _________ of plants, making toxic plants more appealing to animals.
3. The business of chemical _______ is booming because people approach plant life without thinking about any perspective but their own immediate desires.
(d) Weed killers
4. Every human being now has contact with _________ every moment of his life - even from conception.
(d) Dangerous chemicals
5. DDT seems to be able to be stored in the __________ tissues of the body.
Short Answer Questions
1. The organic ____________ insecticides like Malathion and parathion are in wide use in 1962, when the book was written.
2. The majority of the Earth's surface is covered with __________.
3. In many cases, the spraying is killing wildflowers which attract ___________.
4. What lingers on the rooftops in Carson's description of the demise of the environment?
5. Since the 1940s, more than 200 chemicals have been created for the purpose of _____________.
Short Essay Questions
1. What kinds of foods contain the highest levels of chemicals?
2. What do our individual bodies have that the larger environment does as well?
3. Why are chemicals seen as so harmful to the soil and to the life within the soil?
4. What were the results of the gypsy moth spraying in 1956?
5. What happened when people in Wyoming unintentionally destroyed the willows in a particular area?
6. Describe the cycle of life between the soil, plants, and the animals.
7. What were some of the lies the government told about the fire any population?
8. What was the cause of the salmon population downfall in the Miramichi River?
9. Why is the eagle population suffering in relation to the chemicals being used in pest control?
10. According to Carson, what does a chemically weakened environment open the door to?
This section contains 518 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)