|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How was the large population of sagebrush destroyed in the West?
(b) Physical removal
2. All of the Earth's watersystems are _____________, so contamination of a part is contamination of the whole.
(b) At risk
3. DDT is passed long through the ___________ during the course of nearly everyone's life.
(a) Exhaust fumes
(b) Food chain
(c) Packaged foods
4. What is contaminated with DDT so that it ends up affecting a human consumer of eggs?
(b) Hay in the barn
(d) Chicken feed
5. In England, the treatment of _______ with chemicals resulted in widespread bird deaths.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who has poisoned the entire environment, according to Carson as she will prove in this book?
2. The Earth's soil is a ______________ of living creatures, all interdependent.
3. Plants and animals specifically ________ to live in whatever their environments are.
4. Attempts to control a particular ________ in Clear Lake, California resulted in massive bird death.
5. Continued use of pesticides could very well damage soil ___________.
Short Essay Questions
1. What were the results of the gypsy moth spraying in 1956?
2. What makes humans different from the plants and animals in nature, with regard to their ability to do?
3. How does Carson think weeds are defined by most people in today's world?
4. What happened when people in Wyoming unintentionally destroyed the willows in a particular area?
5. Where does radiation tend to occur naturally, as it has for many years before the time of the humans?
6. What kinds of trees are in the forests described in this chapter?
7. How has infectious disease been controlled in modern society?
8. What are the relatively new sources of water pollution, according to this book?
9. What are two of the factors which are contributing to the chemical deposits in the earth, water, and living tissues?
10. What has happened with synthetic pesticides within less than twenty years of their existence?
This section contains 537 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)