|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Our __________ carry thousands of years of adaptation and evolution to us.
(c) Skin cells
2. There has been a huge increase in the incidence of ___________ and in our awareness of it in fewer than 200 years.
3. ____________ alone have the ability to create carcinogens, which cause cancer.
(c) Human beings
4. The American Cancer Society estimates that ______ out of 3 families will be stricken by cancer.
5. The limits the government has established regarding chemical levels in foods are __________.
6. Insects are controlled by limitations on the amount of _________ available to them, a fact often overlooked by humans.
7. What is the form of energy which is produced at every stage of the mitochondrial process?
8. Every cell in the body is involved in the production of ___________.
(d) New life
9. What aisle does Carson think is presented as innocuously as the pickle or laundry detergent aisle?
(a) Packaged foods
10. ___________ health problems used to be caused by diseases like smallpox, cholera, and the plague.
(d) Upper class
11. Fire ants' mounds actually serve to ________ the soil, which is a good thing.
12. What organ works to filter out the chemicals that enter the human body?
13. ____________ and animals were sprayed directly during the campaign against the gypsy moths.
(a) Building interiors
14. ____________ provides the best ways to control insects, according to Carson.
(d) Chemical engineering
15. Those who enjoy _________ also lose when the fish population goes down.
(a) Scuba diving
(b) Sport fishing
(c) Touring the waterways
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of control is actually more effective and less costly than mass spraying?
2. One changed __________ can affect the entire body system.
3. The __________ system is susceptible to damage by toxins like chlorinated hydrocarbons and organic phosphates.
4. Most people's chemical exposure comes ___________ rather than in mass sprayings.
5. What can the chemical DDT cause in fish?
This section contains 349 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)