|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The temporary elimination of some ___________ will continue to result in horrific and permanent physical trauma.
2. What can the chemical DDT cause in fish?
(a) Color changes
3. _______________ has been largely controlled through improved living conditions and sanitation.
(c) Infectious disease
(d) Chemical exposure
4. Without functioning ____________, even our organs are useless.
(c) Brain activity
(d) Blood streams
5. What does the narrow window reveal when seen from far away?
(c) Sliver of light
(d) Blue skies
6. Most people's chemical exposure comes ___________ rather than in mass sprayings.
(a) In large doses
(b) From cars
(c) From food
(d) Day by day
7. There has been a huge increase in the incidence of ___________ and in our awareness of it in fewer than 200 years.
8. Where do the fish go from #97 do in order to spawn and to perpetuate their kind?
(b) Into the ocean
(c) Up the rivers
(d) Into dens
9. Because all foods contain chemicals, even in small doses, the human exposure is enormous in the __________.
10. A chemically weakened environment opens the door to explosive insect ____________.
(b) Waste buildup
11. _____________ is not the only source of chemical contamination in the world.
(b) Mass spraying
(c) Nuclear power
(d) Acid rain
12. What aisle does Carson think is presented as innocuously as the pickle or laundry detergent aisle?
(a) Packaged foods
13. ______________ do not kill people or birds, although the US government said they did.
(a) Gypsy moths
(c) Fire ants
14. What kinds of insects are becoming resistant to the chemical sprayings?
15. The __________ system is susceptible to damage by toxins like chlorinated hydrocarbons and organic phosphates.
Short Answer Questions
1. ____________ and animals were sprayed directly during the campaign against the gypsy moths.
2. The narrow ___________ is the tiniest structure in the human body.
3. Chemicals that act upon our genes can cause sudden __________, producing new and undesirable changes in subsequent generations.
4. The ____________ systems of all creatures are adversely affected by DDT and other chemicals, so that this drastic disruption of the unversal currency of life affects the capacity of all living things.
5. ____________ alone have the ability to create carcinogens, which cause cancer.
This section contains 376 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)