|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The spraying of chemicals became more widespread because of new insecticides and a surplus of ___________.
2. Fire ants' mounds actually serve to ________ the soil, which is a good thing.
3. Our individual bodies have a kind of _______, just as the larger environment does.
4. What kind of disease can fleas carry and then transmit to humans as a result of a bite?
(a) Yellow fever
5. What did farm animals stop doing as a result of the fire any eradication program?
(b) Stop producing healthy young
(c) Gaining weight
6. What organ works to filter out the chemicals that enter the human body?
7. Foods derived from and containing __________ contain the largest amounts of chemicals.
(a) Animal fats
8. ______________ is the basic process of life creation for everything from amoebae to humans.
(a) Cell mutation
(b) Cell division
(c) Cell respiration
(d) Cell ligation
9. The limits the government has established regarding chemical levels in foods are __________.
10. All foods, according to Carson, contain some level of such poisonous chemicals as __________.
(c) Bitter orange
11. What did the fire any not destroy, even though the US government made claims that it did?
12. Human life adapts to environment changes ____________.
(a) When it takes action
(b) Extremely slowly
(d) Once in a while
13. It may be impossible to tell what is __________ and what is effect because there may be years between the two.
14. What posed no threat, only a minor annoyance, yet was still the target of a massive spraying campaign?
(a) Fire ant
(b) Gypsy moth
15. What aisle does Carson think is presented as innocuously as the pickle or laundry detergent aisle?
(d) Packaged foods
Short Answer Questions
1. __________________ is the basis of all life function.
2. What can the chemical DDT cause in fish?
3. What was the widespread Canadian spraying program designed to control the population of?
4. The __________ system is susceptible to damage by toxins like chlorinated hydrocarbons and organic phosphates.
5. Some substances can interact with each other in unpredictable ways, increasing their _____________.
This section contains 377 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)