|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The spraying of chemicals became more widespread because of new insecticides and a surplus of ___________.
2. What aisle does Carson think is presented as innocuously as the pickle or laundry detergent aisle?
(c) Packaged foods
3. What kind of creature plays a vital role as a source for food, as well as being an aerator, a scavenger, and a source of bait?
(a) Earth worm
(b) Round worm
(d) Fiddler crab
4. The __________ system is susceptible to damage by toxins like chlorinated hydrocarbons and organic phosphates.
5. __________________ is the basis of all life function.
(b) Cellular oxidation
(d) ATP production
6. What kind of disease can fleas carry and then transmit to humans as a result of a bite?
(c) Yellow fever
7. Because all foods contain chemicals, even in small doses, the human exposure is enormous in the __________.
8. Insecticides used against insects that feed on __________ have killed many fish in the South.
9. ____________ provides the best ways to control insects, according to Carson.
(d) Chemical engineering
10. What can the chemical DDT cause in fish?
(c) Color changes
11. The temporary elimination of some ___________ will continue to result in horrific and permanent physical trauma.
12. ____________ and animals were sprayed directly during the campaign against the gypsy moths.
(a) Building interiors
13. The liver can become damaged by the poisons it filters, causing it to become ___________ effective.
(b) Much more
14. Insects are controlled by limitations on the amount of _________ available to them, a fact often overlooked by humans.
15. During what war time was the spraying of chemicals made more intense and more widespread?
(a) Civil War
Short Answer Questions
1. ___________ health problems used to be caused by diseases like smallpox, cholera, and the plague.
2. _______________ can be much more effective at controlling budworm.
3. The fish may die some time after spraying as the toxins can be released from ____________.
4. ________ are genetically adapting to the chemicals we use to control them.
5. What do some insects carry that makes their termination so important in today's times?
This section contains 380 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)