|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What kind of control is actually more effective and less costly than mass spraying?
2. Fire ants' mounds actually serve to ________ the soil, which is a good thing.
3. Insecticides used against insects that feed on __________ have killed many fish in the South.
4. Scientists believe that human __________ is unrealistic.
(d) Chemical warfare
5. There has been a huge increase in the incidence of ___________ and in our awareness of it in fewer than 200 years.
6. It may be impossible to tell what is __________ and what is effect because there may be years between the two.
7. The limits the government has established regarding chemical levels in foods are __________.
8. Our individual bodies have a kind of _______, just as the larger environment does.
9. What kind of creature plays a vital role as a source for food, as well as being an aerator, a scavenger, and a source of bait?
(b) Fiddler crab
(c) Round worm
(d) Earth worm
10. Most people's chemical exposure comes ___________ rather than in mass sprayings.
(a) In large doses
(b) Day by day
(c) From cars
(d) From food
11. _______________ can be much more effective at controlling budworm.
(a) Other chemicals
(b) Targeted spraying
(c) Organic herbs
(d) Natural parasites
12. What is also destroyed when the target insects are sprayed by chemicals, damaging and changing the ecosystem?
(b) Their natural enemies
(d) Water sources
13. Where do the fish go from #97 do in order to spawn and to perpetuate their kind?
(a) Into the ocean
(b) Into dens
(d) Up the rivers
14. Our __________ carry thousands of years of adaptation and evolution to us.
(c) Skin cells
15. The ___________ is strictly a forest insect, which is why people were outraged when residential areas were sprayed to control it.
(a) Fire ant
(b) Gypsy moth
(c) Dutch Elm
Short Answer Questions
1. What kinds of insects are becoming resistant to the chemical sprayings?
2. Those who enjoy _________ also lose when the fish population goes down.
3. Without functioning ____________, even our organs are useless.
4. What organ works to filter out the chemicals that enter the human body?
5. What aisle does Carson think is presented as innocuously as the pickle or laundry detergent aisle?
This section contains 391 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)