|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. All foods, according to Carson, contain some level of such poisonous chemicals as __________.
(a) Bitter orange
2. During what war time was the spraying of chemicals made more intense and more widespread?
(c) Civil War
3. The __________ system is susceptible to damage by toxins like chlorinated hydrocarbons and organic phosphates.
4. Without functioning ____________, even our organs are useless.
(a) Brain activity
(b) Blood streams
5. What kinds of insects are becoming resistant to the chemical sprayings?
6. Our individual bodies have a kind of _______, just as the larger environment does.
7. Because all foods contain chemicals, even in small doses, the human exposure is enormous in the __________.
8. _____________ is not the only source of chemical contamination in the world.
(b) Mass spraying
(c) Acid rain
(d) Nuclear power
9. What is also destroyed when the target insects are sprayed by chemicals, damaging and changing the ecosystem?
(a) Their natural enemies
(c) Water sources
10. What kind of control is actually more effective and less costly than mass spraying?
11. ____________ is also contaminated because washing does not remove chemicals, nor does cooking.
(b) Packaged beans
12. Radiation and arsenic are naturally occurring substances that cause _________.
13. Some substances can interact with each other in unpredictable ways, increasing their _____________.
14. Chemicals that act upon our genes can cause sudden __________, producing new and undesirable changes in subsequent generations.
15. More American children now die from __________ than from any other disease.
Short Answer Questions
1. ________ are genetically adapting to the chemicals we use to control them.
2. The narrow ___________ is the tiniest structure in the human body.
3. What aisle does Carson think is presented as innocuously as the pickle or laundry detergent aisle?
4. Foods derived from and containing __________ contain the largest amounts of chemicals.
5. There has been a huge increase in the incidence of ___________ and in our awareness of it in fewer than 200 years.
This section contains 353 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)