|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. ______ ponds are particularly susceptible to poisoning because of their proximity to chemically treated fields.
2. ______________ do not kill people or birds, although the US government said they did.
(c) Gypsy moths
(d) Fire ants
3. Insects are controlled by limitations on the amount of _________ available to them, a fact often overlooked by humans.
4. The ____________ systems of all creatures are adversely affected by DDT and other chemicals, so that this drastic disruption of the unversal currency of life affects the capacity of all living things.
5. What is the form of energy which is produced at every stage of the mitochondrial process?
6. Most people's chemical exposure comes ___________ rather than in mass sprayings.
(a) Day by day
(b) From food
(c) From cars
(d) In large doses
7. The narrow ___________ is the tiniest structure in the human body.
8. Some substances can interact with each other in unpredictable ways, increasing their _____________.
9. ________________ are affected because poisoned fish are not a source of food to sell.
(a) Sushi bars
(c) Commercial fisheries
(d) Grocery stores
10. What kind of control is actually more effective and less costly than mass spraying?
11. The smallest _______ reveals a whole universe of relationships within the body
(b) Skin cell
12. Radiation and arsenic are naturally occurring substances that cause _________.
13. What kind of creature plays a vital role as a source for food, as well as being an aerator, a scavenger, and a source of bait?
(a) Earth worm
(b) Round worm
(d) Fiddler crab
14. ____________ provides the best ways to control insects, according to Carson.
(c) Chemical engineering
15. The ___________ is strictly a forest insect, which is why people were outraged when residential areas were sprayed to control it.
(a) Gypsy moth
(b) Fire ant
(c) Dutch Elm
Short Answer Questions
1. There has been a huge increase in the incidence of ___________ and in our awareness of it in fewer than 200 years.
2. What are printed in tiny type and largely ignored by consumers?
3. It may be impossible to tell what is __________ and what is effect because there may be years between the two.
4. __________________ is the basis of all life function.
5. Fire ants' mounds actually serve to ________ the soil, which is a good thing.
This section contains 403 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)