|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The fish may die some time after spraying as the toxins can be released from ____________.
(a) Fat stores
2. Chemical residues in _______ are another source of gradual buildup of chemicals in the body.
3. A chemically weakened environment opens the door to explosive insect ____________.
(c) Waste buildup
4. What did farm animals stop doing as a result of the fire any eradication program?
(a) Gaining weight
(d) Stop producing healthy young
5. _____________ is not the only source of chemical contamination in the world.
(a) Nuclear power
(b) Acid rain
(c) Mass spraying
6. ______________ is the basic process of life creation for everything from amoebae to humans.
(a) Cell division
(b) Cell mutation
(c) Cell ligation
(d) Cell respiration
7. What does the narrow window reveal when seen from far away?
(a) Sliver of light
(c) Blue skies
8. Without functioning ____________, even our organs are useless.
(b) Brain activity
(d) Blood streams
9. What is the form of energy which is produced at every stage of the mitochondrial process?
10. _______________ can be much more effective at controlling budworm.
(a) Other chemicals
(b) Natural parasites
(c) Organic herbs
(d) Targeted spraying
11. What can the chemical DDT cause in fish?
(c) Color changes
12. The narrow ___________ is the tiniest structure in the human body.
13. The American Cancer Society estimates that ______ out of 3 families will be stricken by cancer.
14. The liver can become damaged by the poisons it filters, causing it to become ___________ effective.
(b) Much more
15. ____________ and animals were sprayed directly during the campaign against the gypsy moths.
(c) Building interiors
Short Answer Questions
1. ________ are genetically adapting to the chemicals we use to control them.
2. What is the name of the chemical that changes form once it enters the environment, becoming another more deadly chemical?
3. ____________ provides the best ways to control insects, according to Carson.
4. What kinds of insects are becoming resistant to the chemical sprayings?
5. The ___________ is strictly a forest insect, which is why people were outraged when residential areas were sprayed to control it.
This section contains 356 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)