|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. ____________ provides the best ways to control insects, according to Carson.
(c) Chemical engineering
2. Fire ants' mounds actually serve to ________ the soil, which is a good thing.
3. Scientists believe that human __________ is unrealistic.
(a) Chemical warfare
4. Our __________ carry thousands of years of adaptation and evolution to us.
(c) Skin cells
5. What kinds of insects are becoming resistant to the chemical sprayings?
6. What are printed in tiny type and largely ignored by consumers?
(a) Package warnings
(c) Ingredient lists
(d) Names of products
7. The temporary elimination of some ___________ will continue to result in horrific and permanent physical trauma.
8. Chemicals that act upon our genes can cause sudden __________, producing new and undesirable changes in subsequent generations.
9. All foods, according to Carson, contain some level of such poisonous chemicals as __________.
(b) Bitter orange
10. ______ ponds are particularly susceptible to poisoning because of their proximity to chemically treated fields.
11. Every cell in the body is involved in the production of ___________.
(d) New life
12. What kind of disease can fleas carry and then transmit to humans as a result of a bite?
(d) Yellow fever
13. Individual sensitivity to the various toxic substances is extremely ___________.
(b) Useful in measuring limits
14. What does the narrow window reveal when seen from far away?
(a) Blue skies
(d) Sliver of light
15. What do some insects carry that makes their termination so important in today's times?
(d) Deadly diseases
Short Answer Questions
1. What can the chemical DDT cause in fish?
2. Those who enjoy _________ also lose when the fish population goes down.
3. What kind of control is actually more effective and less costly than mass spraying?
4. The American Cancer Society estimates that ______ out of 3 families will be stricken by cancer.
5. For many thousands of years, ___________ have returned from the Atlantic each year.
This section contains 341 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)