|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the name of the naturally occurring mineral that is toxic to humans and most creatures but is still used as a pesticide?
2. Large areas of Michigan were sprayed in 1959 in order to try to control what insect?
(b) Chinese ladybug
(c) Japanese beetle
3. Plants growing in contaminated soil may carry the contaminants into their _____________.
(a) Neighbor plants
4. What happens to the people in the beginning description which puzzles doctors?
(a) They have green spots on their faces
(b) They become ill
(c) They begin to hurt each other
(d) They disappear
5. Herbicides can change the _________ of plants, making toxic plants more appealing to animals.
6. Attempts to control a particular ________ in Clear Lake, California resulted in massive bird death.
7. What did the earthworms dine on that infected them with DDT?
(a) Mulch of elm leaves
(b) Bird droppings
8. The Earth's soil is a ______________ of living creatures, all interdependent.
9. What is not produced as a result of not having the pollination process continue?
10. There is evidence that chemicals travel via ____________.
(c) The air
11. Because synthetic pesticides are ______, they can easily poison intended and unintended targets.
12. What are so popular that tourists come to see them every year?
(a) Changing leaves
(b) Fish population
(c) Migratory birds
13. Continued use of pesticides could very well damage soil ___________.
(a) Beyond repair
(c) In some areas
(d) Over time
14. What is the most important earth-dwelling creature, according to Carson?
15. The population of Japanese Beetles in sprayed areas is ______________ .
(a) Larger than ever
(d) Going down
Short Answer Questions
1. ____________ can eliminate only the unwanted plants and give the beneficial plants a chance to thrive.
2. Wildlife is unlikely to bounce back after _________ that kill large numbers of their kind.
3. Humans __________ plants when an an immediate use is not obvious for a plant.
4. What was not one of the results of the sprayings in Michigan?
5. All of the Earth's watersystems are _____________, so contamination of a part is contamination of the whole.
This section contains 382 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)