|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In the modern world, life does not have the luxury of ________.
2. Who was intended to benefit from the removal of sagebrush from the American West?
(b) Other plant species
3. Because synthetic pesticides are ______, they can easily poison intended and unintended targets.
4. Life is able to adapt to environmental change over _____________, according to Carson.
(b) A few months
(c) A year
(d) A decade
5. This kind of vegetable absorbs huge levels of poisons, which would have harmed humans if they had eaten the produce.
6. Herbicides can change the _________ of plants, making toxic plants more appealing to animals.
7. If a robin did not die, it often suffered from __________ as a result of being exposed to DDT.
8. Much of the world's water is polluted by ________ from many sources.
(b) Nuclear plants
9. Radiation used to be limited to that which occurred naturally - in rocks, cosmic rays, and __________.
10. Attempts to control a particular ________ in Clear Lake, California resulted in massive bird death.
11. DDT is passed long through the ___________ during the course of nearly everyone's life.
(a) Exhaust fumes
(b) Food chain
(c) Packaged foods
12. The business of chemical _______ is booming because people approach plant life without thinking about any perspective but their own immediate desires.
(b) Weed killers
13. There is evidence that chemicals travel via ____________.
(c) The air
14. Throughout earth's history, living things have __________ with their environment but not changed it.
15. The town Carson describes _________ actually exist.
(b) Does not
Short Answer Questions
1. What was one of the chemicals used in the massive spraying in #78?
2. There is a disagreement among scientists about how much _______ can be safely stored in the body.
3. What is contaminated with DDT so that it ends up affecting a human consumer of eggs?
4. In 1960, in the Klamath/Tule Lake region, agricultural pesticides were collected in the water bodies of a _____________.
5. The organic ____________ insecticides like Malathion and parathion are in wide use in 1962, when the book was written.
This section contains 379 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)