|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How long can chemicals remain in the soil to which they are applied?
(a) A few days
(b) 1 month
(c) 1 year
(d) 12 years
2. Much of the world's water is polluted by ________ from many sources.
(a) Nuclear plants
3. In England, the treatment of _______ with chemicals resulted in widespread bird deaths.
4. What is the name for chemicals that mix with other pollutants and substances in the water, producing unidentifiable results?
5. Plants and animals specifically ________ to live in whatever their environments are.
(d) Used control
6. Without the Earth's ________, there could be no plants.
(d) Human help
7. The organic ____________ insecticides like Malathion and parathion are in wide use in 1962, when the book was written.
8. ____________ can eliminate only the unwanted plants and give the beneficial plants a chance to thrive.
(a) Targeted extermination
(b) Dangerous chemicals
(d) Selective spraying
9. Chemical insecticides and herbicides are challenging because they are _____________.
(b) Difficult to detect
(c) Sometimes safe
(d) Hidden from view
10. What group of substances includes insecticides and pesticides?
(a) Organic cleaners
(b) Necessary evils
(c) Toxic chemicals
(d) Helpful mixtures
11. How was the large population of sagebrush destroyed in the West?
(d) Physical removal
12. __________ are simply plants that are in the wrong place at the wrong time.
13. What is used to pollinate the plants and to pollinate the trees?
14. What is the name of the naturally occurring mineral that is toxic to humans and most creatures but is still used as a pesticide?
15. There is evidence that chemicals travel via ____________.
(b) The air
Short Answer Questions
1. What is contaminated with DDT so that it ends up affecting a human consumer of eggs?
2. Large-scale, single-crop farming eliminates the _______________ that provided built in control of pests.
3. The business of chemical _______ is booming because people approach plant life without thinking about any perspective but their own immediate desires.
4. There is a disagreement among scientists about how much _______ can be safely stored in the body.
5. Without plants, there could be no _________ of any kind.
This section contains 368 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)