|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Studies on the __________ in areas previously sprayed with DDT have confirmed that DDT remains in the birds at least one generation after the spraying.
2. What was applied to a large area of Illinois over an 8 year period in order to try to control the Japanese Beetle?
(b) Bitter orange
3. What becomes more numerous when the bird population goes down?
(b) Tree leaves
4. What is the toxin which is released through nuclear explosion?
(b) Gamma rays
5. Chemicals can travel down ___________ or in underground aquifers to the bodies of water.
6. How was the large population of sagebrush destroyed in the West?
(d) Physical removal
7. What is the name for chemicals that mix with other pollutants and substances in the water, producing unidentifiable results?
8. What was not one of the results of the sprayings in Michigan?
(a) House pets were sickened
(b) The widespread death of the intended target
(c) People became ill
(d) Birds died
9. What did the birds provide naturally that made their deaths all the more significant?
(b) Migration patterns
(d) Pest control
10. Humans __________ plants when an an immediate use is not obvious for a plant.
11. What did the earthworms dine on that infected them with DDT?
(a) Bird droppings
(c) Mulch of elm leaves
12. What are numerous in both kind and in sheer quantity according to Carson in the opening of the book?
13. The majority of the Earth's surface is covered with __________.
14. What is not one of the animal species which are bolstered by the inclusion of sagebrush in the West?
(a) Sage grouse
(b) Red tailed hawk
(c) Mule deer
(d) Pronghorn antelope
15. Wildlife is unlikely to bounce back after _________ that kill large numbers of their kind.
(c) Weather patterns
Short Answer Questions
1. Not only do chemicals hurt the soil, but they also ____________ the soil for years.
2. Life is able to adapt to environmental change over _____________, according to Carson.
3. In many cases, the spraying is killing wildflowers which attract ___________.
4. ______________ birds have also died as a result of the elm spraying.
5. The campaign in the American West to replace _______ with grass is one example of man's arrogant approach to plants.
This section contains 399 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)