|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Life is able to adapt to environmental change over _____________, according to Carson.
(a) A decade
(b) A year
(c) A few months
2. Carson wonders - How can we as __________ beings continue to allow such rampant and unjustified killings?
3. Herbicides can change the _________ of plants, making toxic plants more appealing to animals.
4. The Earth's soil is a ______________ of living creatures, all interdependent.
5. What was the source of the contamination in the eagle population?
(a) Other birds
6. What is plentiful in the streams, providing good fishing spots since early settler times?
7. Farms and orchards do NOT include these trees, in Carson's description.
8. _____________ must discern for themselves who is telling the truth.
9. What is not produced as a result of not having the pollination process continue?
10. What was one of the chemicals used in the massive spraying in #78?
(d) Bitter orange
11. What group of substances includes insecticides and pesticides?
(a) Organic cleaners
(b) Helpful mixtures
(c) Necessary evils
(d) Toxic chemicals
12. Attempts to control a particular ________ in Clear Lake, California resulted in massive bird death.
13. For almost every human being on the planet, synthetic pesticides are present in _______ and probably in bodily tissues from the beginning.
(a) The placenta
(b) Mother's milk
(c) Powdered formula
14. What lingers on the rooftops in Carson's description of the demise of the environment?
(a) Black birds
(c) White powder
15. Every human being now has contact with _________ every moment of his life - even from conception.
(b) Dangerous chemicals
Short Answer Questions
1. Because synthetic pesticides are ______, they can easily poison intended and unintended targets.
2. Plants and animals specifically ________ to live in whatever their environments are.
3. Repeated spraying lead to poisoned environments in which not only are resident creatures killed, but also those that _________ there.
4. ____________ can eliminate only the unwanted plants and give the beneficial plants a chance to thrive.
5. In the modern world, life does not have the luxury of ________.
This section contains 366 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)