|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Humans hold a narrow view of _________, using them when they are immediately useful only.
2. The roadsides are lush with trees, ferns, and ____________.
3. The majority of the Earth's surface is covered with __________.
4. Because animals are affected by chemicals, scientists are having a hard time finding uncontaminated animals to serve as _________ in experiments.
5. How long can chemicals remain in the soil to which they are applied?
(a) A few days
(b) 1 year
(c) 12 years
(d) 1 month
6. DDT seems to be able to be stored in the __________ tissues of the body.
7. Spraying for the ________ began in the 1950s and resulted in the death of robins.
(a) Dutch Elm Disease
(b) French beetles
(c) Fire ants
(d) Gypsy moth
8. In ___________ in the 1950s, the chemical that appeared in the water had actually been created spontaneously by the interaction of other chemicals present.
9. Due to pollution in its environment, this kind of bird has suffered from extensive population reduction and sterility issues.
10. What did the earthworms dine on that infected them with DDT?
(a) Mulch of elm leaves
(b) Bird droppings
11. ______________ birds have also died as a result of the elm spraying.
12. Chemicals can travel down ___________ or in underground aquifers to the bodies of water.
13. Since the 1940s, more than 200 chemicals have been created for the purpose of _____________.
(c) Pest control
14. In many cases, the spraying is killing wildflowers which attract ___________.
15. Throughout earth's history, living things have __________ with their environment but not changed it.
Short Answer Questions
1. Attempts to control a particular ________ in Clear Lake, California resulted in massive bird death.
2. The town Carson describes is one where townsfolk and farmers and wildlife all live in _____________.
3. The population of Japanese Beetles in sprayed areas is ______________ .
4. Farms and orchards do NOT include these trees, in Carson's description.
5. What group of substances includes insecticides and pesticides?
This section contains 363 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)