|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. DDT seems to be able to be stored in the __________ tissues of the body.
2. Because synthetic pesticides are ______, they can easily poison intended and unintended targets.
3. Much of the world's water is polluted by ________ from many sources.
(d) Nuclear plants
4. What was infected with chemicals that led to the death of so many robins?
(b) Nest building material
5. Carson wonders - How can we as __________ beings continue to allow such rampant and unjustified killings?
6. What are so popular that tourists come to see them every year?
(a) Fish population
(b) Changing leaves
(c) Migratory birds
7. Large-scale, single-crop farming eliminates the _______________ that provided built in control of pests.
8. Plants and animals specifically ________ to live in whatever their environments are.
(d) Used control
9. What did the earthworms dine on that infected them with DDT?
(a) Bird droppings
(c) Mulch of elm leaves
10. How was the large population of sagebrush destroyed in the West?
(b) Physical removal
11. Only _________ have gained the ability to reserve the roles and actually change the environment they live in.
(c) Human beings
12. Plants growing in contaminated soil may carry the contaminants into their _____________.
(a) Neighbor plants
13. Toxic substances work to stop the body's natural functions; some of them may cause __________ to begin growing.
(c) Poisonous reactions
(d) Cancer cells
14. What is used to pollinate the plants and to pollinate the trees?
15. The town Carson describes is one where townsfolk and farmers and wildlife all live in _____________.
(d) The same place
Short Answer Questions
1. Spring begins in the United States with the once-familiar ___________.
2. The campaign in the American West to replace _______ with grass is one example of man's arrogant approach to plants.
3. What is the toxin which is released through nuclear explosion?
4. Humans hold a narrow view of _________, using them when they are immediately useful only.
5. All of the Earth's watersystems are _____________, so contamination of a part is contamination of the whole.
This section contains 366 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)