|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In many cases, the spraying is killing wildflowers which attract ___________.
2. _____________ must discern for themselves who is telling the truth.
3. The title of this chapter comes from Jean Rostand: "The obligation to endure gives us the right to ___________."
(b) Control others
(c) Do what we want
4. What happens to the people in the beginning description which puzzles doctors?
(a) They disappear
(b) They become ill
(c) They begin to hurt each other
(d) They have green spots on their faces
5. Large areas of Michigan were sprayed in 1959 in order to try to control what insect?
(a) Japanese beetle
(b) Chinese ladybug
6. What did the birds provide naturally that made their deaths all the more significant?
(a) Pest control
(d) Migration patterns
7. The town Carson describes _________ actually exist.
(d) Does not
8. All of the Earth's watersystems are _____________, so contamination of a part is contamination of the whole.
(b) At risk
9. What is the most important earth-dwelling creature, according to Carson?
10. Continued use of pesticides could very well damage soil ___________.
(a) Beyond repair
(b) Over time
(d) In some areas
11. Plants and animals specifically ________ to live in whatever their environments are.
(b) Used control
12. Carson wonders - How can we as __________ beings continue to allow such rampant and unjustified killings?
13. For almost every human being on the planet, synthetic pesticides are present in _______ and probably in bodily tissues from the beginning.
(a) The placenta
(b) Mother's milk
(c) Powdered formula
14. The Earth itself is ________ only as long as the creatures within it are.
15. Much of the world's water is polluted by ________ from many sources.
(c) Nuclear plants
Short Answer Questions
1. How was the large population of sagebrush destroyed in the West?
2. Spring begins in the United States with the once-familiar ___________.
3. Repeated spraying lead to poisoned environments in which not only are resident creatures killed, but also those that _________ there.
4. Farms and orchards do NOT include these trees, in Carson's description.
5. Studies on the __________ in areas previously sprayed with DDT have confirmed that DDT remains in the birds at least one generation after the spraying.
This section contains 384 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)