Mid-Book Test - Easy
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How was the large population of sagebrush destroyed in the West?
(a) Physical removal
2. Herbicides can change the _________ of plants, making toxic plants more appealing to animals.
3. The business of chemical _______ is booming because people approach plant life without thinking about any perspective but their own immediate desires.
(d) Weed killers
4. Every human being now has contact with _________ every moment of his life - even from conception.
(d) Dangerous chemicals
5. DDT seems to be able to be stored in the __________ tissues of the body.
6. The organic ____________ insecticides like Malathion and parathion are in wide use in 1962, when the book was written.
7. The majority of the Earth's surface is covered with __________.
8. In many cases, the spraying is killing wildflowers which attract ___________.
9. What lingers on the rooftops in Carson's description of the demise of the environment?
(b) Black birds
(c) White powder
10. Since the 1940s, more than 200 chemicals have been created for the purpose of _____________.
(b) Pest control
11. Radiation used to be limited to that which occurred naturally - in rocks, cosmic rays, and __________.
12. There is a disagreement among scientists about how much _______ can be safely stored in the body.
13. Without plants, there could be no _________ of any kind.
14. Who has poisoned the entire environment, according to Carson as she will prove in this book?
15. Wildlife biologists and forestry experts __________ the mass killings of so much life.
(a) Are guilty of
(b) Assist in
Short Answer Questions
1. There is a widespread, critical shortage of ____________ across the globe.
2. The Earth itself is ________ only as long as the creatures within it are.
3. All of the Earth's watersystems are _____________, so contamination of a part is contamination of the whole.
4. The population of Japanese Beetles in sprayed areas is ______________ .
5. Plants and animals specifically ________ to live in whatever their environments are.
This section contains 362 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)