|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who was intended to benefit from the removal of sagebrush from the American West?
(d) Other plant species
2. Life is able to adapt to environmental change over _____________, according to Carson.
(b) A decade
(c) A year
(d) A few months
3. In many cases, the spraying is killing wildflowers which attract ___________.
4. Large areas of Michigan were sprayed in 1959 in order to try to control what insect?
(a) Japanese beetle
(d) Chinese ladybug
5. Herbicides can change the _________ of plants, making toxic plants more appealing to animals.
6. What did the birds provide naturally that made their deaths all the more significant?
(a) Pest control
(c) Migration patterns
7. What did the earthworms dine on that infected them with DDT?
(a) Bird droppings
(d) Mulch of elm leaves
8. The _________ of Wyoming which supported many animal species were unintentionally killed, leading to massive animal death.
9. In ___________ in the 1950s, the chemical that appeared in the water had actually been created spontaneously by the interaction of other chemicals present.
10. The organic ____________ insecticides like Malathion and parathion are in wide use in 1962, when the book was written.
11. ______________ birds have also died as a result of the elm spraying.
12. The roadsides are lush with trees, ferns, and ____________.
13. The Earth itself is ________ only as long as the creatures within it are.
14. What is the most important earth-dwelling creature, according to Carson?
15. What is not one of the animal species which are bolstered by the inclusion of sagebrush in the West?
(a) Mule deer
(b) Sage grouse
(c) Red tailed hawk
(d) Pronghorn antelope
Short Answer Questions
1. What are numerous in both kind and in sheer quantity according to Carson in the opening of the book?
2. The population of Japanese Beetles in sprayed areas is ______________ .
3. Since the 1940s, more than 200 chemicals have been created for the purpose of _____________.
4. The majority of the Earth's surface is covered with __________.
5. Studies on the __________ in areas previously sprayed with DDT have confirmed that DDT remains in the birds at least one generation after the spraying.
This section contains 383 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)