|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Due to pollution in its environment, this kind of bird has suffered from extensive population reduction and sterility issues.
2. _____________ hurts the soil on a virtually permanent basis, according to Carson.
(a) Corn crops
(c) Wild orange oil
3. This kind of vegetable absorbs huge levels of poisons, which would have harmed humans if they had eaten the produce.
4. Attempts to control a particular ________ in Clear Lake, California resulted in massive bird death.
5. Wildlife is unlikely to bounce back after _________ that kill large numbers of their kind.
(a) Weather patterns
6. In many cases, the spraying is killing wildflowers which attract ___________.
7. Bacteria, fungi, and algae are the smallest organisms of Earth and they live in the ________.
8. What did the earthworms dine on that infected them with DDT?
(a) Mulch of elm leaves
(b) Bird droppings
9. What is the most important earth-dwelling creature, according to Carson?
10. What is contaminated with DDT so that it ends up affecting a human consumer of eggs?
(c) Chicken feed
(d) Hay in the barn
11. What becomes more numerous when the bird population goes down?
(b) Tree leaves
12. The organic ____________ insecticides like Malathion and parathion are in wide use in 1962, when the book was written.
13. Toxic substances work to stop the body's natural functions; some of them may cause __________ to begin growing.
(b) Poisonous reactions
(d) Cancer cells
14. What was the source of the contamination in the eagle population?
(a) Other birds
15. DDT seems to be able to be stored in the __________ tissues of the body.
Short Answer Questions
1. In ___________ in the 1950s, the chemical that appeared in the water had actually been created spontaneously by the interaction of other chemicals present.
2. What was not one of the results of the sprayings in Michigan?
3. Without plants, there could be no _________ of any kind.
4. The Earth itself is ________ only as long as the creatures within it are.
5. Large-scale, single-crop farming eliminates the _______________ that provided built in control of pests.
This section contains 386 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)