Mid-Book Test - Easy
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The Earth itself is ________ only as long as the creatures within it are.
2. Attempts to control a particular ________ in Clear Lake, California resulted in massive bird death.
3. Spring begins in the United States with the once-familiar ___________.
(a) Heavy rains
(d) Temperature changes
4. What did the earthworms dine on that infected them with DDT?
(c) Mulch of elm leaves
(d) Bird droppings
5. Plants and animals specifically ________ to live in whatever their environments are.
(c) Used control
6. In many cases, the spraying is killing wildflowers which attract ___________.
7. Humankind is producing new ________ in the laboratory, though these used to be limited only to nature's actions.
8. Only _________ have gained the ability to reserve the roles and actually change the environment they live in.
(b) Human beings
9. What is plentiful in the streams, providing good fishing spots since early settler times?
10. The town Carson describes is one where townsfolk and farmers and wildlife all live in _____________.
(d) The same place
11. The population of Japanese Beetles in sprayed areas is ______________ .
(a) Larger than ever
(d) Going down
12. The majority of the Earth's surface is covered with __________.
13. What is not one of the animal species which are bolstered by the inclusion of sagebrush in the West?
(a) Pronghorn antelope
(b) Red tailed hawk
(c) Sage grouse
(d) Mule deer
14. In 1960, in the Klamath/Tule Lake region, agricultural pesticides were collected in the water bodies of a _____________.
(a) Wildlife refuge
(d) Swimming pool
15. Every human being now has contact with _________ every moment of his life - even from conception.
(c) Dangerous chemicals
Short Answer Questions
1. ______________ birds have also died as a result of the elm spraying.
2. There is a widespread, critical shortage of ____________ across the globe.
3. What lingers on the rooftops in Carson's description of the demise of the environment?
4. What was one of the chemicals used in the massive spraying in #78?
5. This kind of vegetable absorbs huge levels of poisons, which would have harmed humans if they had eaten the produce.
This section contains 374 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)