|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was applied to a large area of Illinois over an 8 year period in order to try to control the Japanese Beetle?
(d) Bitter orange
2. What is the most important earth-dwelling creature, according to Carson?
3. The organic ____________ insecticides like Malathion and parathion are in wide use in 1962, when the book was written.
4. Only _________ have gained the ability to reserve the roles and actually change the environment they live in.
(d) Human beings
5. Plants growing in contaminated soil may carry the contaminants into their _____________.
(b) Neighbor plants
6. There is evidence that chemicals travel via ____________.
(a) The air
7. Radiation used to be limited to that which occurred naturally - in rocks, cosmic rays, and __________.
8. _____________ hurts the soil on a virtually permanent basis, according to Carson.
(a) Corn crops
(c) Wild orange oil
9. Humans hold a narrow view of _________, using them when they are immediately useful only.
10. What is not usable for drinking, irrigation, or industry?
(a) Stream water
(b) Frozen water
(d) Lake water
11. Spraying for the ________ began in the 1950s and resulted in the death of robins.
(a) Fire ants
(b) Dutch Elm Disease
(c) French beetles
(d) Gypsy moth
12. Due to pollution in its environment, this kind of bird has suffered from extensive population reduction and sterility issues.
13. Every human being now has contact with _________ every moment of his life - even from conception.
(b) Dangerous chemicals
14. ____________ can eliminate only the unwanted plants and give the beneficial plants a chance to thrive.
(a) Dangerous chemicals
(b) Targeted extermination
(d) Selective spraying
15. What happens to the people in the beginning description which puzzles doctors?
(a) They have green spots on their faces
(b) They become ill
(c) They disappear
(d) They begin to hurt each other
Short Answer Questions
1. Spring begins in the United States with the once-familiar ___________.
2. What lingers on the rooftops in Carson's description of the demise of the environment?
3. In England, the treatment of _______ with chemicals resulted in widespread bird deaths.
4. Farms and orchards do NOT include these trees, in Carson's description.
5. Life is able to adapt to environmental change over _____________, according to Carson.
This section contains 389 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)