|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is used to pollinate the plants and to pollinate the trees?
2. Chemical wielding __________ overlook the terrible flaws in their programs of blanket spraying.
(d) Corporate moguls
3. Because synthetic pesticides are ______, they can easily poison intended and unintended targets.
4. The business of chemical _______ is booming because people approach plant life without thinking about any perspective but their own immediate desires.
(d) Weed killers
5. The campaign in the American West to replace _______ with grass is one example of man's arrogant approach to plants.
6. Farms and orchards do NOT include these trees, in Carson's description.
7. What was applied to a large area of Illinois over an 8 year period in order to try to control the Japanese Beetle?
(c) Bitter orange
8. Much of the world's water is polluted by ________ from many sources.
(b) Nuclear plants
9. Humankind is producing new ________ in the laboratory, though these used to be limited only to nature's actions.
10. What is the toxin which is released through nuclear explosion?
(a) Gamma rays
11. The population of Japanese Beetles in sprayed areas is ______________ .
(b) Going down
(d) Larger than ever
12. Since the 1940s, more than 200 chemicals have been created for the purpose of _____________.
(d) Pest control
13. Where was the population of Japanese Beetles effectively controlled?
14. Because animals are affected by chemicals, scientists are having a hard time finding uncontaminated animals to serve as _________ in experiments.
15. Repeated spraying lead to poisoned environments in which not only are resident creatures killed, but also those that _________ there.
(c) Were born
(d) Are near to
Short Answer Questions
1. Carson wonders - How can we as __________ beings continue to allow such rampant and unjustified killings?
2. What was the source of the contamination in the eagle population?
3. For almost every human being on the planet, synthetic pesticides are present in _______ and probably in bodily tissues from the beginning.
4. Who was intended to benefit from the removal of sagebrush from the American West?
5. What was one of the chemicals used in the massive spraying in #78?
This section contains 390 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)