|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Attempts to control a particular ________ in Clear Lake, California resulted in massive bird death.
2. The _________ of Wyoming which supported many animal species were unintentionally killed, leading to massive animal death.
3. How was the large population of sagebrush destroyed in the West?
(b) Physical removal
4. What is contaminated with DDT so that it ends up affecting a human consumer of eggs?
(b) Hay in the barn
(c) Chicken feed
5. Because synthetic pesticides are ______, they can easily poison intended and unintended targets.
6. What is used to pollinate the plants and to pollinate the trees?
7. What is not usable for drinking, irrigation, or industry?
(a) Lake water
(c) Frozen water
(d) Stream water
8. Because animals are affected by chemicals, scientists are having a hard time finding uncontaminated animals to serve as _________ in experiments.
9. Studies on the __________ in areas previously sprayed with DDT have confirmed that DDT remains in the birds at least one generation after the spraying.
10. Humans hold a narrow view of _________, using them when they are immediately useful only.
11. Wildlife is unlikely to bounce back after _________ that kill large numbers of their kind.
(b) Weather patterns
12. There is a disagreement among scientists about how much _______ can be safely stored in the body.
13. In England, the treatment of _______ with chemicals resulted in widespread bird deaths.
14. The Earth's soil is a ______________ of living creatures, all interdependent.
15. Herbicides can change the _________ of plants, making toxic plants more appealing to animals.
Short Answer Questions
1. In many cases, the spraying is killing wildflowers which attract ___________.
2. What is not one of the animal species which are bolstered by the inclusion of sagebrush in the West?
3. Without plants, there could be no _________ of any kind.
4. Farms and orchards do NOT include these trees, in Carson's description.
5. DDT is passed long through the ___________ during the course of nearly everyone's life.
This section contains 372 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)