|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In many cases, the spraying is killing wildflowers which attract ___________.
2. Toxic substances work to stop the body's natural functions; some of them may cause __________ to begin growing.
(a) Poisonous reactions
(d) Cancer cells
3. Who was intended to benefit from the removal of sagebrush from the American West?
(b) Other plant species
4. What was applied to a large area of Illinois over an 8 year period in order to try to control the Japanese Beetle?
(b) Bitter orange
5. What happens to the people in the beginning description which puzzles doctors?
(a) They become ill
(b) They disappear
(c) They have green spots on their faces
(d) They begin to hurt each other
6. Due to pollution in its environment, this kind of bird has suffered from extensive population reduction and sterility issues.
7. Humans __________ plants when an an immediate use is not obvious for a plant.
8. Chemical wielding __________ overlook the terrible flaws in their programs of blanket spraying.
(a) Corporate moguls
9. Because animals are affected by chemicals, scientists are having a hard time finding uncontaminated animals to serve as _________ in experiments.
10. What lingers on the rooftops in Carson's description of the demise of the environment?
(c) White powder
(d) Black birds
11. What is not usable for drinking, irrigation, or industry?
(a) Frozen water
(c) Stream water
(d) Lake water
12. Much of the world's water is polluted by ________ from many sources.
(c) Nuclear plants
13. How long can chemicals remain in the soil to which they are applied?
(a) A few days
(b) 1 month
(c) 1 year
(d) 12 years
14. If a robin did not die, it often suffered from __________ as a result of being exposed to DDT.
15. What is used to pollinate the plants and to pollinate the trees?
Short Answer Questions
1. What are numerous in both kind and in sheer quantity according to Carson in the opening of the book?
2. What becomes more numerous when the bird population goes down?
3. What is not produced as a result of not having the pollination process continue?
4. What is the name of the naturally occurring mineral that is toxic to humans and most creatures but is still used as a pesticide?
5. The _________ of Wyoming which supported many animal species were unintentionally killed, leading to massive animal death.
This section contains 408 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)