|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Humans hold a narrow view of _________, using them when they are immediately useful only.
2. Spring begins in the United States with the once-familiar ___________.
(b) Temperature changes
(c) Heavy rains
3. In ___________ in the 1950s, the chemical that appeared in the water had actually been created spontaneously by the interaction of other chemicals present.
4. DDT seems to be able to be stored in the __________ tissues of the body.
5. Chemical wielding __________ overlook the terrible flaws in their programs of blanket spraying.
(d) Corporate moguls
6. How was the large population of sagebrush destroyed in the West?
(c) Physical removal
7. ______________ birds have also died as a result of the elm spraying.
8. Radiation used to be limited to that which occurred naturally - in rocks, cosmic rays, and __________.
9. What becomes more numerous when the bird population goes down?
(c) Tree leaves
10. Life is able to adapt to environmental change over _____________, according to Carson.
(a) A year
(b) A decade
(d) A few months
11. The population of Japanese Beetles in sprayed areas is ______________ .
(a) Larger than ever
(d) Going down
12. What lingers on the rooftops in Carson's description of the demise of the environment?
(c) White powder
(d) Black birds
13. What is the toxin which is released through nuclear explosion?
(d) Gamma rays
14. Chemical insecticides and herbicides are challenging because they are _____________.
(a) Sometimes safe
(b) Hidden from view
(d) Difficult to detect
15. Attempts to control a particular ________ in Clear Lake, California resulted in massive bird death.
Short Answer Questions
1. For almost every human being on the planet, synthetic pesticides are present in _______ and probably in bodily tissues from the beginning.
2. Spraying for the ________ began in the 1950s and resulted in the death of robins.
3. Not only do chemicals hurt the soil, but they also ____________ the soil for years.
4. Bacteria, fungi, and algae are the smallest organisms of Earth and they live in the ________.
5. There is evidence that chemicals travel via ____________.
This section contains 369 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)