|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Carson wonders - How can we as __________ beings continue to allow such rampant and unjustified killings?
2. What happens to the people in the beginning description which puzzles doctors?
(a) They disappear
(b) They become ill
(c) They have green spots on their faces
(d) They begin to hurt each other
3. Farms and orchards do NOT include these trees, in Carson's description.
4. How long can chemicals remain in the soil to which they are applied?
(a) 12 years
(b) 1 month
(c) A few days
(d) 1 year
5. Radiation used to be limited to that which occurred naturally - in rocks, cosmic rays, and __________.
6. _____________ hurts the soil on a virtually permanent basis, according to Carson.
(b) Corn crops
(d) Wild orange oil
7. What was the source of the contamination in the eagle population?
(c) Other birds
8. DDT seems to be able to be stored in the __________ tissues of the body.
9. Plants growing in contaminated soil may carry the contaminants into their _____________.
(c) Neighbor plants
10. Studies on the __________ in areas previously sprayed with DDT have confirmed that DDT remains in the birds at least one generation after the spraying.
11. What is contaminated with DDT so that it ends up affecting a human consumer of eggs?
(a) Chicken feed
(c) Hay in the barn
12. In the modern world, life does not have the luxury of ________.
13. There is a widespread, critical shortage of ____________ across the globe.
(a) Fresh water
(d) Water treatment
14. Repeated spraying lead to poisoned environments in which not only are resident creatures killed, but also those that _________ there.
(b) Are near to
(c) Were born
15. The organic ____________ insecticides like Malathion and parathion are in wide use in 1962, when the book was written.
Short Answer Questions
1. The business of chemical _______ is booming because people approach plant life without thinking about any perspective but their own immediate desires.
2. Humans hold a narrow view of _________, using them when they are immediately useful only.
3. _____________ must discern for themselves who is telling the truth.
4. Throughout earth's history, living things have __________ with their environment but not changed it.
5. If a robin did not die, it often suffered from __________ as a result of being exposed to DDT.
This section contains 398 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)