|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 5 "Realms of the Soil".
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In 1960, in the Klamath/Tule Lake region, agricultural pesticides were collected in the water bodies of a _____________.
(b) Wildlife refuge
(d) Swimming pool
2. Because synthetic pesticides are ______, they can easily poison intended and unintended targets.
3. Large-scale, single-crop farming eliminates the _______________ that provided built in control of pests.
4. Chemical insecticides and herbicides are challenging because they are _____________.
(a) Sometimes safe
(b) Hidden from view
(d) Difficult to detect
5. What lingers on the rooftops in Carson's description of the demise of the environment?
(a) Black birds
(c) White powder
Short Answer Questions
1. Much of the world's water is polluted by ________ from many sources.
2. This kind of vegetable absorbs huge levels of poisons, which would have harmed humans if they had eaten the produce.
3. What is the name for chemicals that mix with other pollutants and substances in the water, producing unidentifiable results?
4. Life is able to adapt to environmental change over _____________, according to Carson.
5. Chemicals can travel down ___________ or in underground aquifers to the bodies of water.
This section contains 193 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)