Chapter 1 "A Fable for Tomorrow"
* Carson includes a description of a Utopian society in which Nature and man coexist.
* From that picturesque image, the setting changes into one in which nature begins to die away.
* While the town does not exist, the events which take place in this description have occurred.
Chapter 2 "The Obligation to Endure"
* The environment plays an important role in forming life.
* Radiation used to be limited to natural sources.
* Massive efforts to control problems can have opposite effect.
Chapter 3 "Elixirs of Death"
* Carson gives a discussion about synthetic pesticides.
* The way these chemicals affect creatures is explained in detail.
Chapter 4 "Surface Waters and Underground Seas"
* Most of the seawater in the world is not usable for drinking.
* World's water is becoming more polluted.
* Carson gives examples of effects of water pollution.
Chapter 5 "Realms of the Soil"
This section contains 770 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)