|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the snow doing as it overtakes Paul's room in the beginning of the last part?
2. How does Paul feel about the doctor's attempt to discover the truth?
3. What does the doctor determine about Paul's eyes?
4. What does the snow promise to Paul as he is being examined by the doctor in Part 3?
5. What does the snow first tell Paul to do in Part 4?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In an analysis of Paul's walk home from school in Part 2, provide answers to the following:
1) What are three examples of things that Paul sees, and how do they represent the character's state of mind?
2) How is the snow used to counter reality? Describe the way Paul views the snow in comparison to the real things he encounters.
3) What is his general impression of the outside world? How has it changed, and why?
Essay Topic 2
Paul's mother is an important element to the story.
1) Describe her role in the story as it develops. Which of her characteristics stood out to you the most? Why?
2) Explain the similarities and differences between Paul's mother and father and the way they are both depicted in the story. Which one has a stronger place in Paul's life? Why?
Essay Topic 3
Describe how Paul's mood and mannerisms change during his examination. What are the events that cause him to change so dramatically? How do his responses contribute to his change? Explain in detail the way Paul feels as the questions become more and more insistent and how he is processing them.
This section contains 333 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)