|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the doctor ask Paul to read from the book?
2. What does the doctor observe about Paul toward the end of his questioning?
3. What does the doctor confirm with Paul before proceeding to the end of the examination?
4. What does the snow first tell Paul to do in Part 4?
5. In what way does the light fall into the front of Paul's room?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Part 1 begins with an allusion to a secret that is not identified.
1) Describe how the secret is first introduced, the analogies Paul uses to present it, and the effect it has on his life in general.
2) Explain why the author does not reveal what the secret is immediately. What is the purpose behind giving its features and showing the results of it first? How does learning about the secret's effect on Paul before knowing its identity add to its impact?
Essay Topic 2
Why is the time and setting of Paul's examination significant? Describe the way the room is set up, according to Paul, what each part of it represents for him and how it contributes to his overall attitude and opinion of the examination itself. Also, explain why Paul is distracted and what his mind is focused on that causes him to wonder about each moment as it passes.
Essay Topic 3
Describe the confusion Paul experiences on his way home from school, what causes it, and why it happens close to his own house. What does the confusion cause him to wonder about? How does it make him more anxious and impatient? What does the confusion actually represent, and why is it important to the character's state of mind?
This section contains 363 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)