|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. After his father indicates concern, what does Paul think of the doctor's questioning?
2. How does Paul consider the questions being asked of him in Part 3?
3. What kind of a story does the snow want to tell Paul as Part 4 ends?
4. What kind of dance begins at the front of Paul's room?
5. What sound does the snow make at the intrusion in the last part of the story?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why does the author choose snow as the secret that Paul is drawn to? Provide an in-depth analysis of the author's decision and what the snow represents, including its characteristics and the specific ways it is used to display Paul's larger problems.
Essay Topic 2
In an analysis of Paul's walk home from school in Part 2, provide answers to the following:
1) What are three examples of things that Paul sees, and how do they represent the character's state of mind?
2) How is the snow used to counter reality? Describe the way Paul views the snow in comparison to the real things he encounters.
3) What is his general impression of the outside world? How has it changed, and why?
Essay Topic 3
Why is the time and setting of Paul's examination significant? Describe the way the room is set up, according to Paul, what each part of it represents for him and how it contributes to his overall attitude and opinion of the examination itself. Also, explain why Paul is distracted and what his mind is focused on that causes him to wonder about each moment as it passes.
This section contains 317 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)