|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does the new stream of flakes come from in Paul's room?
2. What moves abruptly across the night as Paul retreats to his room?
3. At the beginning of Part 4, how is the darkness coming?
4. Over how many days does Silent Snow, Secret Snow take place?
5. What does Paul do before he answers the doctor?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Aiken keeps the reader's attention through flowing lines and poetic descriptions. Analyze his writing style, including examples of its effectiveness and why it works so well with this particular story. Also, describe how the style changes with the tone and pace of the story.
Essay Topic 2
Describe the character of Deirdre. What do her character traits represent for Paul? Why does she try to get his attention? What does his response indicate? In general, how does Deirdre illustrate Paul's disconnect with the world he knows? Why is that important to the theme of the story?
Essay Topic 3
As Paul withdraws into his room, his mother follows him and opens the door, interrupting the snow's agenda and signaling the final events of the story.
1) Describe the way Paul's mother is perceived by both Paul and the snow, and how those perceptions display the extreme illogical state he is in.
2) What is Paul's response to his mother, and how does the way he reaches for his response indicate his separation from life?
3) Why is Paul's mother unable to help him? How is Paul completely detached from himself at this point? How does the way he responds to his mother represent the final barrier between him and the snow?
4) Explain the way Paul thinks after he rejects his mother's help, what is strange about it and what it eventually leads to. What is the last thing that Paul sees, and how does it reflect the length of the story?
This section contains 352 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)