|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are the minds of his parents bound to, according to Paul?
2. How does the snow advance into Paul's room?
3. What command does Paul direct toward his mother in Part 4?
4. How is the snow's presence different during Paul's examination?
5. What kind of a story does the snow want to tell Paul as Part 4 ends?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Aiken uses a number of literary techniques to deliver the messages in the story.
1) Describe and analyze three examples of symbolism in the story and their effects on it.
2) Describe and analyze three examples of foreshadowing in the story and their effects on it.
3) Describe and analyze the use of flashbacks in the story and why it was effective.
Essay Topic 2
Why is the time and setting of Paul's examination significant? Describe the way the room is set up, according to Paul, what each part of it represents for him and how it contributes to his overall attitude and opinion of the examination itself. Also, explain why Paul is distracted and what his mind is focused on that causes him to wonder about each moment as it passes.
Essay Topic 3
Describe how Paul's mood and mannerisms change during his examination. What are the events that cause him to change so dramatically? How do his responses contribute to his change? Explain in detail the way Paul feels as the questions become more and more insistent and how he is processing them.
This section contains 1,556 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)