|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Paul's mood at the end of Part 3?
2. How does Paul think of his mother's expression as she becomes more disturbed by his answers?
3. What is the doctor doing with his fingers, as Paul observes?
4. What is the interruption of the snow in Part 4 perceived as?
5. How does Paul describe the presence of his parents and the doctor to himself?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What does the lesson Paul is sitting in contrast? Why does the author choose this as the place to start his story? In detail, describe the ways that Miss Buell's lesson provides a representation of reality and how Paul is lost in another world. How is the topic of the lesson significant? Why does it help the reader to understand Paul's fascination with snow? Use specific examples of events from Part 1 to support your analysis.
Essay Topic 2
Describe the origin of Paul's secret, explaining each part of it in detail and why it is significant. Also, explain any metaphors the author uses to portray the impact of the events leading up to Paul's discovery.
Essay Topic 3
Analyze the setting of the story and the total length of time that transpires during it. Explain why Aiken chose this setting and time, including examples from from the story to illustrate the ways they both enhance it.
This section contains 286 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)