|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Paul view the doctor's questions?
2. What does Paul's world become at the end of the story?
3. What does the doctor ask Paul to do in the beginning of his examination?
4. What does the snow ask Paul if he remembers?
5. What does Paul look to for reassurance before he tells his parents about his secret?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the snow's role in Paul's examination, and how does it appear different than it did earlier? What does the snow do for the first time in Part 3, and how does that display a severe problem for Paul? What effect does the snow have on Paul while he is being questioned, and what are the orders it gives him? What do they reveal?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze the setting of the story and the total length of time that transpires during it. Explain why Aiken chose this setting and time, including examples from from the story to illustrate the ways they both enhance it.
Essay Topic 3
Describe how Paul's mood and mannerisms change during his examination. What are the events that cause him to change so dramatically? How do his responses contribute to his change? Explain in detail the way Paul feels as the questions become more and more insistent and how he is processing them.
This section contains 291 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)