|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Paul look to for reassurance before he tells his parents about his secret?
2. After his father indicates concern, what does Paul think of the doctor's questioning?
3. How is the light described as it enters Paul's room in Part 4?
4. What does the snow ask Paul if he remembers?
5. What does the cold, low humming shake as Paul closes the door?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The doctor's examination is a crucial turning point in the story, and for Paul.
1) Describe the doctor's personality and characteristics. How do they add to his ability to evaluate Paul accurately?
2) Describe Paul's interpretation of the doctor and his actions. How does he view himself in comparison to the doctor? Why?
3) What is the major discovery that the doctor makes about Paul? How does he make it? Why does the author choose this character to make it, and how is it important to the story?
Essay Topic 2
In an analysis of Paul's walk home from school in Part 2, provide answers to the following:
1) What are three examples of things that Paul sees, and how do they represent the character's state of mind?
2) How is the snow used to counter reality? Describe the way Paul views the snow in comparison to the real things he encounters.
3) What is his general impression of the outside world? How has it changed, and why?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze the setting of the story and the total length of time that transpires during it. Explain why Aiken chose this setting and time, including examples from from the story to illustrate the ways they both enhance it.
This section contains 335 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)