|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Paul think the snow's voice is coming from?
2. Where does the new stream of flakes come from in Paul's room?
3. What is the last thing that Paul says to his mother?
4. What emotion is Paul filled with as his mother grabs him?
5. How is the doctor grinning at Paul?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
As Paul withdraws into his room, his mother follows him and opens the door, interrupting the snow's agenda and signaling the final events of the story.
1) Describe the way Paul's mother is perceived by both Paul and the snow, and how those perceptions display the extreme illogical state he is in.
2) What is Paul's response to his mother, and how does the way he reaches for his response indicate his separation from life?
3) Why is Paul's mother unable to help him? How is Paul completely detached from himself at this point? How does the way he responds to his mother represent the final barrier between him and the snow?
4) Explain the way Paul thinks after he rejects his mother's help, what is strange about it and what it eventually leads to. What is the last thing that Paul sees, and how does it reflect the length of the story?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the character of Deirdre. What do her character traits represent for Paul? Why does she try to get his attention? What does his response indicate? In general, how does Deirdre illustrate Paul's disconnect with the world he knows? Why is that important to the theme of the story?
Essay Topic 3
What is the snow's role in Paul's examination, and how does it appear different than it did earlier? What does the snow do for the first time in Part 3, and how does that display a severe problem for Paul? What effect does the snow have on Paul while he is being questioned, and what are the orders it gives him? What do they reveal?
This section contains 369 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)