|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What sound does the snow make at the intrusion in the last part of the story?
2. What does Paul's world become at the end of the story?
3. How does Paul consider the questions being asked of him in Part 3?
4. Where does Paul think the snow's voice is coming from?
5. What does the doctor ask Paul after he establishes their friendship?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why is the time and setting of Paul's examination significant? Describe the way the room is set up, according to Paul, what each part of it represents for him and how it contributes to his overall attitude and opinion of the examination itself. Also, explain why Paul is distracted and what his mind is focused on that causes him to wonder about each moment as it passes.
Essay Topic 2
Aiken keeps the reader's attention through flowing lines and poetic descriptions. Analyze his writing style, including examples of its effectiveness and why it works so well with this particular story. Also, describe how the style changes with the tone and pace of the story.
Essay Topic 3
Analyze the ending of Silent Snow, Secret Snow, including the possible explanations for Paul's condition, what is likely to happen to him, and why the author chose to end his story this way. Also, use the entire story as a reference to provide examples that support your interpretation.
This section contains 1,574 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)