Final Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the cold, low humming shake as Paul closes the door?
2. What does Paul look to for reassurance before he tells his parents about his secret?
3. What term is given to the actions of Paul's mother in Part 4?
4. What command does Paul direct toward his mother in Part 4?
5. How do Paul's parents feel as they talk with the doctor?
Describe the confusion Paul experiences on his way home from school, what causes it, and why it happens close to his own house. What does the confusion cause him to wonder about? How does it make him more anxious and impatient? What does the confusion actually represent, and why is it important to the character's state of mind?
Part 1 begins with an allusion to a secret that is not identified.
1) Describe how the secret is first introduced, the analogies Paul uses to present it, and the effect it has on his life in general.
2) Explain why the author does not reveal what the secret is immediately. What is the purpose behind giving its features and showing the results of it first? How does learning about the secret's effect on Paul before knowing its identity add to its impact?
Why is the time and setting of Paul's examination significant? Describe the way the room is set up, according to Paul, what each part of it represents for him and how it contributes to his overall attitude and opinion of the examination itself. Also, explain why Paul is distracted and what his mind is focused on that causes him to wonder about each moment as it passes.
This section contains 315 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)