|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How is the light described as it enters Paul's room in Part 4?
2. What does Paul avoid during his examination?
3. What does the snow ask Paul about the darkness it is creating?
4. How does the snow approach the floor in the last part of the story?
5. What does the snow do once it reaches the ceiling?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Aiken uses a number of literary techniques to deliver the messages in the story.
1) Describe and analyze three examples of symbolism in the story and their effects on it.
2) Describe and analyze three examples of foreshadowing in the story and their effects on it.
3) Describe and analyze the use of flashbacks in the story and why it was effective.
Essay Topic 2
Analyze the setting of the story and the total length of time that transpires during it. Explain why Aiken chose this setting and time, including examples from from the story to illustrate the ways they both enhance it.
Essay Topic 3
Paul's mother is an important element to the story.
1) Describe her role in the story as it develops. Which of her characteristics stood out to you the most? Why?
2) Explain the similarities and differences between Paul's mother and father and the way they are both depicted in the story. Which one has a stronger place in Paul's life? Why?
This section contains 290 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)