|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. As Paul notices in Part 3, what color is the chair?
2. What does the doctor confirm with Paul before proceeding to the end of the examination?
3. How does Paul view the doctor's questions?
4. What does the snow say to Paul as it fills almost every aspect of his room?
5. How do Paul's parents feel as they talk with the doctor?
Essay Topic 1
Describe how Paul's mood and mannerisms change during his examination. What are the events that cause him to change so dramatically? How do his responses contribute to his change? Explain in detail the way Paul feels as the questions become more and more insistent and how he is processing them.
Essay Topic 2
While Paul is being questioned by the doctor, his parents react in some very interesting ways.
1) Explain in detail how Paul's mother and father act throughout the entire examination.
2) Which of their responses generates the most significant reactions from Paul, and why?
3) What are the main differences between the way Paul's mother and father respond to his answers? What are the reasons for their differences? Which one does Paul consider to be more of a threat at this point? Why?
Essay Topic 3
Aiken uses a number of literary techniques to deliver the messages in the story.
1) Describe and analyze three examples of symbolism in the story and their effects on it.
2) Describe and analyze three examples of foreshadowing in the story and their effects on it.
3) Describe and analyze the use of flashbacks in the story and why it was effective.
This section contains 1,552 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)