|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the cold, low humming shake as Paul closes the door?
2. Over how many days does Silent Snow, Secret Snow take place?
3. How do Paul's parents feel as they talk with the doctor?
4. How is the doctor grinning at Paul?
5. What does Paul sense as the doctor talks with his parents in front of him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Aiken uses a number of literary techniques to deliver the messages in the story.
1) Describe and analyze three examples of symbolism in the story and their effects on it.
2) Describe and analyze three examples of foreshadowing in the story and their effects on it.
3) Describe and analyze the use of flashbacks in the story and why it was effective.
Essay Topic 2
In an analysis of Paul's walk home from school in Part 2, provide answers to the following:
1) What are three examples of things that Paul sees, and how do they represent the character's state of mind?
2) How is the snow used to counter reality? Describe the way Paul views the snow in comparison to the real things he encounters.
3) What is his general impression of the outside world? How has it changed, and why?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the character of Deirdre. What do her character traits represent for Paul? Why does she try to get his attention? What does his response indicate? In general, how does Deirdre illustrate Paul's disconnect with the world he knows? Why is that important to the theme of the story?
This section contains 269 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)