|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of a story does the snow want to tell Paul as Part 4 ends?
2. What does Paul sense as the doctor talks with his parents in front of him?
3. What does the snow promise to Paul as he is being examined by the doctor in Part 3?
4. What does Paul's world become at the end of the story?
5. How does the snow refer to itself?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Aiken keeps the reader's attention through flowing lines and poetic descriptions. Analyze his writing style, including examples of its effectiveness and why it works so well with this particular story. Also, describe how the style changes with the tone and pace of the story.
Essay Topic 2
Describe the origin of Paul's secret, explaining each part of it in detail and why it is significant. Also, explain any metaphors the author uses to portray the impact of the events leading up to Paul's discovery.
Essay Topic 3
Part 1 begins with an allusion to a secret that is not identified.
1) Describe how the secret is first introduced, the analogies Paul uses to present it, and the effect it has on his life in general.
2) Explain why the author does not reveal what the secret is immediately. What is the purpose behind giving its features and showing the results of it first? How does learning about the secret's effect on Paul before knowing its identity add to its impact?
This section contains 301 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)