|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many posts are at the gateway Paul encounters?
2. Why did Paul put his hand into the bark of the elm tree?
3. What does Paul imagine was NOT recorded as the dog walked through the wet cement?
4. In Part 1, what is Miss Buell talking about as Paul remembers his secret?
5. What happens to the cobblestones as Paul's secret progresses?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Paul view his mother's concern at his disturbing behavior toward the end of Part 3?
2. What is noticeably different in the tone and pace of Part 4?
3. What are two examples of how Paul views the outside world on his walk home from school?
4. How does the doctor attempt to earn Paul's trust and cooperation?
5. What is Paul's thought process as he observes the gateway?
6. How does Paul describe his walk home in Part 2, and why?
7. Where is the snow when Paul first sees it during the examination?
8. When does the doctor's visit take place in Part 3, and why is the timing significant?
9. How does the way Paul feels at the end of his walk contrast with the way he did at the beginning?
10. How does Paul speak to his mother in Part 4, and where does he get the words?
Essay Topic 1
The doctor's examination is a crucial turning point in the story, and for Paul.
1) Describe the doctor's personality and characteristics. How do they add to his ability to evaluate Paul accurately?
2) Describe Paul's interpretation of the doctor and his actions. How does he view himself in comparison to the doctor? Why?
3) What is the major discovery that the doctor makes about Paul? How does he make it? Why does the author choose this character to make it, and how is it important to the story?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze the setting of the story and the total length of time that transpires during it. Explain why Aiken chose this setting and time, including examples from from the story to illustrate the ways they both enhance it.
Essay Topic 3
Paul's mother is an important element to the story.
1) Describe her role in the story as it develops. Which of her characteristics stood out to you the most? Why?
2) Explain the similarities and differences between Paul's mother and father and the way they are both depicted in the story. Which one has a stronger place in Paul's life? Why?
This section contains 2,199 words
(approx. 8 pages at 300 words per page)