Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many posts are at the gateway Paul encounters?
2. Why did Paul put his hand into the bark of the elm tree?
3. What does Paul imagine was NOT recorded as the dog walked through the wet cement?
4. In Part 1, what is Miss Buell talking about as Paul remembers his secret?
5. What happens to the cobblestones as Paul's secret progresses?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Paul view his mother's concern at his disturbing behavior toward the end of Part 3?
2. What is noticeably different in the tone and pace of Part 4?
3. What are two examples of how Paul views the outside world on his walk home from school?
4. How does the doctor attempt to earn Paul's trust and cooperation?
5. What is Paul's thought process as he observes the gateway?
6. How does Paul describe his walk home in Part 2, and why?
7. Where is the snow when Paul first sees it during the examination?
8. When does the doctor's visit take place in Part 3, and why is the timing significant?
9. How does the way Paul feels at the end of his walk contrast with the way he did at the beginning?
10. How does Paul speak to his mother in Part 4, and where does he get the words?
Essay Topic 1
Why does the author choose snow as the secret that Paul is drawn to? Provide an in-depth analysis of the author's decision and what the snow represents, including its characteristics and the specific ways it is used to display Paul's larger problems.
Essay Topic 2
What does the lesson Paul is sitting in contrast? Why does the author choose this as the place to start his story? In detail, describe the ways that Miss Buell's lesson provides a representation of reality and how Paul is lost in another world. How is the topic of the lesson significant? Why does it help the reader to understand Paul's fascination with snow? Use specific examples of events from Part 1 to support your analysis.
Essay Topic 3
In Silent Snow, Secret Snow, Paul is the main character, but the snow in his mind takes over and moves to the forefront.
1) Explain five reasons why Paul is the central character in the story, using all four parts as a reference.
2) Explain five reasons why the snow is the central character in the story, using all four parts as a reference.
3) Which character do you think is the central focus of the story? Why?
This section contains 954 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)