|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What word does Paul use to describe the progress of his secret?
2. What happens to the cobblestones as Paul's secret progresses?
3. What does Paul compare his secret to in the beginning of the story?
4. What is Paul listening for the postman to do when his secret appears?
5. In Part 2, what does Paul find desirable as it relates to his parents?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the startling discovery Paul makes at the end of his walk home?
2. How does Deirdre react to Paul's intelligence, and what does that symbolize?
3. What does Paul begin to wonder about as he stands in front of his house?
4. How does Part 3 end, and what is the new sound that Paul hears?
5. How does Paul speak to his mother in Part 4, and where does he get the words?
6. What are two examples of how Paul views the outside world on his walk home from school?
7. What is the last thing that Paul sees and hears before the story ends?
8. What is noticeably different in the tone and pace of Part 4?
9. How is Silent Snow, Secret Snow's ending similar to its beginning, and why does the story end the way it does?
10. How does the doctor attempt to earn Paul's trust and cooperation?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze the ending of Silent Snow, Secret Snow, including the possible explanations for Paul's condition, what is likely to happen to him, and why the author chose to end his story this way. Also, use the entire story as a reference to provide examples that support your interpretation.
Essay Topic 2
Aiken uses a number of literary techniques to deliver the messages in the story.
1) Describe and analyze three examples of symbolism in the story and their effects on it.
2) Describe and analyze three examples of foreshadowing in the story and their effects on it.
3) Describe and analyze the use of flashbacks in the story and why it was effective.
Essay Topic 3
Why does the author choose snow as the secret that Paul is drawn to? Provide an in-depth analysis of the author's decision and what the snow represents, including its characteristics and the specific ways it is used to display Paul's larger problems.
This section contains 986 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)