|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Part 1, what is Miss Buell talking about as Paul remembers his secret?
(a) Sea of unpredictable snow.
(b) Land of unpredictable snow.
(c) Sea of perpetual snow.
(d) Land of perpetual snow.
2. As Paul arrives at his house in Part 2, what does he feel about the one thing he had looked forward to?
(a) Contempt toward it.
(b) Oblivious to it.
(c) Deprived of it.
(d) Consumed by it.
3. What happens to the postman's footsteps, as Paul recalls?
(a) They gradually become more distinct.
(b) They gradually become more indistinct.
(c) They gradually become more annoying.
(d) They gradually become less annoying.
4. What does Paul's mother tell him might need to be done?
(a) He might have to go to summer school.
(b) He might have to see a doctor.
(c) He might have to do extra chores.
(d) He might have to have a tutor.
5. What does Paul describe the unknown component of the snow to be?
(a) Unmistakably satisfying.
(b) Deliciously terrifying.
(c) Deliciously satisfying.
(d) Unmistakably terrifying.
Short Answer Questions
1. How are the dog tracks arranged on the sidewalk?
2. What does Paul think of the effort it takes to answer Miss Buell's question?
3. What class is Paul in as the story begins?
4. At what cost does Paul believe he must keep his secret?
5. What do the postman's steps have the first time that Paul's secret appears?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Deirdre react to Paul's intelligence, and what does that symbolize?
2. Who is Deirdre, and what does she illustrate for Paul?
3. What is the birdhouse like, and how does Paul use it as a delay?
4. What is it that leads Paul to believe his secret is snow?
5. What does Paul think happened when the dog walked through the wet cement?
6. What does the snow do for the first time in Part 3, and what does this represent?
7. How does Paul describe his walk home in Part 2, and why?
8. How is Paul's secret first introduced?
9. How does the snow describe the story it is about to tell Paul as Silent Snow, Secret Snow ends, and what does the story represent?
10. What does Paul's mother tell him at the end of Part 1, and how is his response significant?
This section contains 988 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)