|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Paul tell his mother it would be fun to be in Part 1?
(a) An explorer.
(b) A polar bear.
(c) An Eskimo.
(d) A hockey player.
2. What is Paul NOT doing, as his mother points out in Part 1?
(a) Following the rules.
(d) Walking straight.
3. How many houses does Paul discover come before his own on the street?
4. When did Paul's secret start?
(a) In February.
(b) In December.
(c) In January.
(d) In November.
5. What does the snow form as Paul approaches his street?
(a) A constant array of color.
(b) A solid wall.
(c) A random mess.
(d) A transparent mirage.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Paul's assumption, what does the snow make in between the houses?
2. What happens to the postman's footsteps, as Paul recalls?
3. How does Paul describe the postman's knock on the door of his house?
4. What is Paul deliberately delaying on the way home from school?
5. What does Paul notice about his window as he stands underneath it in Part 2?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Aiken choose to set the story in Paul's mind?
2. What is becoming more difficult for Paul to do, as he describes in Part 2?
3. How does Paul describe his shoes and the steps he is taking?
4. How does the author describe the floor in Paul's room in the last part of the story?
5. What does the doctor have Paul do to test his eyes, and what is the result?
6. What is significant about the elm tree Paul passes?
7. What is Miss Buell teaching, and why is that significant?
8. What are some of the descriptions Paul uses to explain how important his secret is in Part 1?
9. What does Paul think will happen if he tells people about his secret?
10. What is it that the snow informs Paul he will see, and why?
This section contains 917 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)