|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Paul thinking of as the other students answer Miss Buell's questions?
(a) The rain forests.
(b) The arctic regions.
(c) The tropic regions.
(d) The jungles.
2. What are the items Paul notices on his walk in comparison to the snow?
(a) A fallacy.
(d) A counterpoint.
3. How many footsteps before the knock at the door does Paul hear on the morning of Part 1?
(a) Four or five.
(b) Two or three.
(c) Three or four.
(d) One or two.
4. What kind of stamp does Paul's secret remind him of?
5. As Paul remembers, how many times does his mother ask him to pass the plate at the luncheon table?
Short Answer Questions
1. How many houses does Paul discover come before his own on the street?
2. What does Paul look past the snow to see in answering Miss Buell's question?
3. How long is the class that Paul is in at the beginning of the story?
4. Why is the birdhouse empty?
5. How is the cement sidewalk designed, according to Paul's description?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the snow represent for Paul on his walk home?
2. What is the last thing that Paul sees and hears before the story ends?
3. What is interesting about the weather on Paul's way home, and what does it symbolize?
4. What reasoning does the snow give to Paul for the increasing darkness?
5. What is Paul's thought process as he observes the gateway?
6. When does the doctor's visit take place in Part 3, and why is the timing significant?
7. What is it that leads Paul to believe his secret is snow?
8. What is becoming more difficult for Paul to do, as he describes in Part 2?
9. What is noticeably different in the tone and pace of Part 4?
10. What does Paul's mother symbolize at the end of the story?
This section contains 803 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)