|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. As Paul arrives at his house in Part 2, what does he feel about the one thing he had looked forward to?
(a) Oblivious to it.
(b) Consumed by it.
(c) Deprived of it.
(d) Contempt toward it.
2. What does Paul call the balanced stones?
(a) A perpetual horror.
(b) A perpetual wonder.
(c) A sign of weakness.
(d) A sign of strength.
3. What does Paul do with his secret?
(a) He wears it proudly.
(b) He lends it to people.
(c) He carries it around with him.
(d) He boasts about it to people.
4. Why did Paul put his hand into the bark of the elm tree?
(a) To feel the warm living wood.
(b) To feel the warm dead wood.
(c) To feel the cold living wood.
(d) To feel the cold dead wood.
5. What is Paul listening for the postman to do when his secret appears?
(a) Round the corner.
(b) Walk away from the house.
(d) Run down the street.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Paul doing when his secret appeared for the first time?
2. How does Paul feel at the end of Part 2?
3. How does Paul describe the roadway on his street in Part 1?
4. In Part 2, what does Paul find desirable as it relates to his parents?
5. What is the most distressing feature of Paul's secret?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Paul's thought process as he observes the gateway?
2. What is interesting about the weather on Paul's way home, and what does it symbolize?
3. How does Paul perceive his parents' tone with the doctor, and why does he find it interesting?
4. What is Miss Buell teaching, and why is that significant?
5. How does Paul speak to his mother in Part 4, and where does he get the words?
6. How does the way Paul feels at the end of his walk contrast with the way he did at the beginning?
7. What does Paul's mother observe in Paul, and why is it significant?
8. How is Paul's secret first introduced?
9. What is significant about the elm tree Paul passes?
10. What reasoning does the snow give to Paul for the increasing darkness?
This section contains 915 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)