|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the most distressing feature of Paul's secret?
(a) The inability to respond to his mother and father.
(b) The conflict between him and his mother and father.
(c) The inability to hear his mother and father.
(d) The embarrassment of his mother and father.
2. What kind of gaze is Paul using to look at the birdhouse?
(a) A focused gaze.
(b) An uncomprehending gaze.
(c) A determined gaze.
(d) An incomparable gaze.
3. What does Paul think of the effort it takes to answer Miss Buell's question?
(a) He finds it distracting.
(b) He finds it amusing.
(c) He finds it confusing.
(d) He finds it annoying.
4. What does Paul's mother tell him might need to be done?
(a) He might have to see a doctor.
(b) He might have to go to summer school.
(c) He might have to have a tutor.
(d) He might have to do extra chores.
5. What does the rhythm of the postman's steps say when Paul's secret reveals itself?
(a) Peace, closeness, and cold.
(b) Peace, remoteness, and warmth.
(c) Peace, remoteness, and cold.
(d) Peace, closeness, and warmth.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Paul observe the elm tree and other things on his way home?
2. How many houses does Paul discover come before his own on the street?
3. How long is the class that Paul is in at the beginning of the story?
4. What does Paul's mother get for him to help with his new vagueness?
5. What is Paul deliberately delaying on the way home from school?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the author describe the floor in Paul's room in the last part of the story?
2. What is it that the snow informs Paul he will see, and why?
3. Why does Aiken choose to set the story in Paul's mind?
4. What is Miss Buell teaching, and why is that significant?
5. Who is Deirdre, and what does she illustrate for Paul?
6. How does Paul describe his walk home in Part 2, and why?
7. How is the snow acting during Paul's doctor examination?
8. What does Paul's mother tell him at the end of Part 1, and how is his response significant?
9. How does Deirdre react to Paul's intelligence, and what does that symbolize?
10. How does the snow describe the story it is about to tell Paul as Silent Snow, Secret Snow ends, and what does the story represent?
This section contains 953 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)