|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do the postman's steps have the first time that Paul's secret appears?
(a) A familiar reassurance.
(b) A familiar sound.
(c) A new secrecy.
(d) A new frequency.
2. How many times does the postman knock on each door?
(a) Three times.
(b) Four times.
3. What does Paul cover up in the cement with his foot?
(a) The dirt.
(b) The cracks.
(c) The chips.
(d) The hollows.
4. How does Paul describe the postman's knock on the door of his house?
5. What is Paul NOT doing, as his mother points out in Part 1?
(b) Following the rules.
(d) Walking straight.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Paul doing when his secret appeared for the first time?
2. What does Paul do with his secret?
3. What does Miss Buell have on her desk?
4. What does Paul view his secret as?
5. How does Paul observe the elm tree and other things on his way home?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Paul think will happen if he tells people about his secret?
2. What are two examples of how Paul views the outside world on his walk home from school?
3. How does Paul perceive his parents' tone with the doctor, and why does he find it interesting?
4. How does Paul view his mother's concern at his disturbing behavior toward the end of Part 3?
5. How does the snow take over Paul's room, according to the author's description?
6. How is Paul's last response to his mother surprisingly looked at in his own mind?
7. What is noticeably different in the tone and pace of Part 4?
8. What is the first thing that the doctor does, and how does Paul respond to it?
9. How does Paul answer the doctor's repeated questions about his problem, and what is important about the way his mother reacts?
10. How does the author describe the floor in Paul's room in the last part of the story?
This section contains 900 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)