|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where is the birdhouse?
(a) In the yard.
(b) In the cherry tree.
(c) In the apple tree.
(d) On the porch.
2. In Part 1, what is Miss Buell talking about as Paul remembers his secret?
(a) Land of unpredictable snow.
(b) Sea of perpetual snow.
(c) Land of perpetual snow.
(d) Sea of unpredictable snow.
3. What does Paul look past the snow to see in answering Miss Buell's question?
(a) The blackboard.
(b) The door.
(c) The window.
(d) His textbook.
4. How many houses does Paul discover come before his own on the street?
5. What does Paul imagine while looking through his window?
(a) That he can see his mother.
(b) That he can see his bedroom wall.
(c) That he can see himself.
(d) That he can see his father.
Short Answer Questions
1. What color is the hydrant with the painted chain on it that Paul sees?
2. What does Paul think of the effort it takes to answer Miss Buell's question?
3. As Paul observes, what are the garden walls made of?
4. What kind of sparrows does Paul see?
5. How are the dog tracks arranged on the sidewalk?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is it that the snow informs Paul he will see, and why?
2. How is Silent Snow, Secret Snow's ending similar to its beginning, and why does the story end the way it does?
3. How is the snow talking to Paul in the beginning of Part 4, and what is it saying?
4. Who is Deirdre, and what does she illustrate for Paul?
5. What does Paul think happened when the dog walked through the wet cement?
6. Why does Aiken choose to set the story in Paul's mind?
7. What does the snow represent for Paul on his walk home?
8. What is the last thing that Paul sees and hears before the story ends?
9. How does Deirdre react to Paul's intelligence, and what does that symbolize?
10. How is the snow acting during Paul's doctor examination?
This section contains 875 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)