|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Paul notice in the gutter as he walks by it?
(a) A newspaper.
(b) A flyer.
(c) A magazine.
(d) A letter.
2. What kind of swelling does the cat have on its cheek?
(a) A sickly one.
(b) A curious one.
(c) A familiar one.
(d) A healthy one.
3. What does Paul compare his secret to in the beginning of the story?
(a) A beautiful trinket.
(b) A beautiful picture.
(c) A beautiful basket.
(d) A beautiful day.
4. What happens to the postman's footsteps, as Paul recalls?
(a) They gradually become more annoying.
(b) They gradually become less annoying.
(c) They gradually become more distinct.
(d) They gradually become more indistinct.
5. What does Paul do with his secret?
(a) He wears it proudly.
(b) He carries it around with him.
(c) He lends it to people.
(d) He boasts about it to people.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of twigs are in the delta?
2. According to Paul's assumption, what does the snow make in between the houses?
3. What was Paul doing when his secret appeared for the first time?
4. How old is Paul, as it is revealed in Part 2?
5. In Part 2, what does Paul find desirable as it relates to his parents?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Paul describe his shoes and the steps he is taking?
2. When and how did Paul's secret start?
3. Why does Aiken choose to set the story in Paul's mind?
4. How does the doctor attempt to earn Paul's trust and cooperation?
5. What does the snow do for the first time in Part 3, and what does this represent?
6. What are some of the descriptions Paul uses to explain how important his secret is in Part 1?
7. What is noticeably different in the tone and pace of Part 4?
8. How does Paul answer the doctor's repeated questions about his problem, and what is important about the way his mother reacts?
9. How does Paul perceive his parents' tone with the doctor, and why does he find it interesting?
10. What does Paul think happened when the dog walked through the wet cement?
This section contains 961 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)