Mid-Book Test - Medium
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many posts are at the gateway Paul encounters?
2. Why did Paul put his hand into the bark of the elm tree?
(a) To feel the cold dead wood.
(b) To feel the warm living wood.
(c) To feel the cold living wood.
(d) To feel the warm dead wood.
3. What does Paul imagine was NOT recorded as the dog walked through the wet cement?
(a) His 2 rear feet.
(b) His barking.
(c) His 2 front feet.
(d) His tail wagging.
4. In Part 1, what is Miss Buell talking about as Paul remembers his secret?
(a) Sea of unpredictable snow.
(b) Land of unpredictable snow.
(c) Sea of perpetual snow.
(d) Land of perpetual snow.
5. What happens to the cobblestones as Paul's secret progresses?
(a) They become muffled.
(b) They become hidden.
(c) They become clearer.
(d) They become smoother.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to the postman's footsteps, as Paul recalls?
2. What does Paul tell his mother it would be fun to be in Part 1?
3. What letter is stenciled on the brick wall in the background?
4. What does Miss Buell have on her desk?
5. What does the rhythm of the postman's steps say when Paul's secret reveals itself?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Paul view his mother's concern at his disturbing behavior toward the end of Part 3?
2. What is noticeably different in the tone and pace of Part 4?
3. What are two examples of how Paul views the outside world on his walk home from school?
4. How does the doctor attempt to earn Paul's trust and cooperation?
5. What is Paul's thought process as he observes the gateway?
6. How does Paul describe his walk home in Part 2, and why?
7. Where is the snow when Paul first sees it during the examination?
8. When does the doctor's visit take place in Part 3, and why is the timing significant?
9. How does the way Paul feels at the end of his walk contrast with the way he did at the beginning?
10. How does Paul speak to his mother in Part 4, and where does he get the words?
This section contains 870 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)