|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Paul think about the thoughts he is having of his secret during class?
(a) They are a disturbance.
(b) They are a distraction.
(c) They are a pleasure.
(d) They are unacceptable.
2. What does Paul think of the effort it takes to answer Miss Buell's question?
(a) He finds it distracting.
(b) He finds it confusing.
(c) He finds it amusing.
(d) He finds it annoying.
3. What does Paul notice about his window as he stands underneath it in Part 2?
(a) It is open.
(b) It has snow on it.
(c) It is dirty.
(d) It is closed.
4. How does Paul describe his street in Part 2 of the story?
(a) Busy and noisy.
(b) Busy yet quiet.
(c) Empty and quiet.
(d) Empty yet loud.
5. What happens to the snow while Paul's secret becomes more apparent?
(a) It gets darker.
(b) It gets lighter.
(c) It gets heavier.
(d) It gets brighter.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is the birdhouse empty?
2. What cannot compare with the snow, according to Paul?
3. At what cost does Paul believe he must keep his secret?
4. How does Deidre smile at Paul after he answers the question in class?
5. What is the mud like in the delta?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the author display Paul's intelligence level?
2. How is the snow acting during Paul's doctor examination?
3. What does Paul begin to wonder about as he stands in front of his house?
4. How does Part 3 end, and what is the new sound that Paul hears?
5. Where is the snow when Paul first sees it during the examination?
6. What are two examples of how Paul views the outside world on his walk home from school?
7. What does Paul's mother tell him at the end of Part 1, and how is his response significant?
8. How does Paul feel during the doctor's questioning, and what does he compare himself to?
9. How does the doctor attempt to earn Paul's trust and cooperation?
10. What is Paul's thought process as he observes the gateway?
This section contains 881 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)