|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Paul feel about his mother as Part 1 ends?
(a) He feels sorry for her.
(b) He feels contempt for her.
(c) He feels resentment toward her.
(d) He feels closer to her than before.
2. What does Paul view his secret as?
(a) A sense of humor.
(b) A sense of possession.
(c) A sense of education.
(d) A sense of direction.
3. What happens to the snow while Paul's secret becomes more apparent?
(a) It gets darker.
(b) It gets lighter.
(c) It gets heavier.
(d) It gets brighter.
4. How many times does the postman knock on each door?
(b) Three times.
(c) Four times.
5. What number is on the front door of Paul's house?
Short Answer Questions
1. As Paul arrives at his house in Part 2, what does he feel about the one thing he had looked forward to?
2. What causes Paul to think about his secret?
3. According to what Paul reads, how is Mrs. Amelia D. Cravath cured of her illness?
4. What are the items Paul notices on his walk in comparison to the snow?
5. How does Paul now view the bare roofs?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is the snow talking to Paul in the beginning of Part 4, and what is it saying?
2. How does Deirdre react to Paul's intelligence, and what does that symbolize?
3. How does Paul describe his walk home in Part 2, and why?
4. What is becoming more difficult for Paul to do, as he describes in Part 2?
5. Why does Aiken choose to set the story in Paul's mind?
6. How is the origin of the secret revealed in Part 1?
7. What does Paul's mother attempt to do to help her son in Part 1, and why?
8. How is Paul's last response to his mother surprisingly looked at in his own mind?
9. How does Paul's street appear, according to his description in Part 2?
10. What is Paul's thought process as he observes the gateway?
This section contains 849 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)