|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where is the birdhouse?
(a) On the porch.
(b) In the yard.
(c) In the cherry tree.
(d) In the apple tree.
2. In Part 1, what is Miss Buell talking about as Paul remembers his secret?
(a) Sea of perpetual snow.
(b) Sea of unpredictable snow.
(c) Land of unpredictable snow.
(d) Land of perpetual snow.
3. What kind of sparrows does Paul see?
4. What is the most distressing feature of Paul's secret?
(a) The conflict between him and his mother and father.
(b) The inability to hear his mother and father.
(c) The embarrassment of his mother and father.
(d) The inability to respond to his mother and father.
5. What happens to the postman's footsteps, as Paul recalls?
(a) They gradually become more distinct.
(b) They gradually become less annoying.
(c) They gradually become more annoying.
(d) They gradually become more indistinct.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Paul notice in the gutter as he walks by it?
2. What is Paul deliberately delaying on the way home from school?
3. As Paul remembers, how many times does his mother ask him to pass the plate at the luncheon table?
4. What is the mud like in the delta?
5. What is Paul thinking of as the other students answer Miss Buell's questions?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Paul describe his walk home in Part 2, and why?
2. How is Paul's last response to his mother surprisingly looked at in his own mind?
3. How does Part 3 end, and what is the new sound that Paul hears?
4. What does Paul surprisingly say at the end of his examination, and why does it cause everyone to become silent?
5. How does Paul describe the sidewalk?
6. How is Silent Snow, Secret Snow's ending similar to its beginning, and why does the story end the way it does?
7. What is interesting about the way Paul views the doctor and his parents, and how he chooses to acknowledge them?
8. Who is Deirdre, and what does she illustrate for Paul?
9. What is Paul's thought process as he observes the gateway?
10. What does Paul's mother observe in Paul, and why is it significant?
This section contains 864 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)