|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Paul describe his street in Part 2 of the story?
(a) Busy and noisy.
(b) Empty yet loud.
(c) Empty and quiet.
(d) Busy yet quiet.
2. What kind of boots does the postman have?
3. What has happened to the river as Paul crosses it on his way home?
(a) It has flooded.
(b) It has frozen.
(c) It has dried up.
(d) It has become dirty.
4. What word does Paul use to depict the walk home in the beginning of Part 2?
5. How does Paul describe the sunlight on the roof?
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is the birdhouse empty?
2. What does Paul call the balanced stones?
3. What does Paul think the snow is in Part 2?
4. What does the rhythm of the postman's steps say when Paul's secret reveals itself?
5. What does Paul's mother tell him might need to be done?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Part 3 end, and what is the new sound that Paul hears?
2. What are some of the descriptions Paul uses to explain how important his secret is in Part 1?
3. What is it that the snow informs Paul he will see, and why?
4. What is the last thing that Paul sees and hears before the story ends?
5. What does Paul's mother symbolize at the end of the story?
6. What is Miss Buell teaching, and why is that significant?
7. When does the doctor's visit take place in Part 3, and why is the timing significant?
8. How does Paul view the snow at the beginning of Part 4?
9. How does Deirdre react to Paul's intelligence, and what does that symbolize?
10. What is significant about the elm tree Paul passes?
This section contains 841 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)