|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the doctor doing with his fingers, as Paul observes?
(a) Scratching his chin.
(b) Scratching the side of his head.
(c) Scratching the top of his glasses.
(d) Scratching the button on his coat.
2. What has the snow deliberately put on while the doctor questions Paul?
(a) Its manners.
(b) Its winter coat.
(c) Its disguise.
(d) Its winter hat.
3. What does Paul sense as the doctor talks with his parents in front of him?
4. How is the snow's presence different during Paul's examination?
(a) It is brighter.
(b) It is gentler.
(c) It is heavier.
(d) It is louder.
5. How is the life Paul used to live labeled in the ending of the story?
(a) As a far away space.
(b) As another world.
(c) As a dimly lit sanctuary.
(d) As a distant light.
6. What are the minds of his parents bound to, according to Paul?
(a) The ordinary.
(b) The extraordinary.
7. What happens after Paul speaks to his mother for the final time?
(a) The snow continues to take over Paul's thoughts.
(b) The snow becomes transparent.
(c) The snow begins to fade away.
(d) The snow slowly retreats backward.
8. Which one of the following descriptions is used to describe a part of Paul's room in Part 4?
(a) The humming window.
(b) The loquacious closet.
(c) The chattering light.
(d) The talking door.
9. What does the snow encourage Paul to do as his parents and the doctor are waiting for his response?
(a) Banish them.
(b) Pity them.
(c) Ignore them.
(d) Listen to them.
10. What fills the night as the author describes?
(a) A prolonged sibilance.
(b) A prolonged anger.
(c) A prolonged silence.
(d) A prolonged intrusion.
11. How are the doctor's eyelids as he questions Paul?
(c) Wide open.
12. Where does Paul think the snow's voice is coming from?
(a) The corner by the front window.
(b) The stairway.
(c) The hallway.
(d) The corner by the back window.
13. What does Paul catch a glimpse of as he ponders the doctor's question?
(a) The beads of light along the wall.
(b) The beads of light in his mother's eyes.
(c) The beads of light on the window pane.
(d) The beads of light in the doctor's eyes.
14. What term is given to the actions of Paul's mother in Part 4?
(a) A cruel disturbance.
(b) A mild disturbance.
(c) A mild setback.
(d) A cruel setback.
15. What does the snow say to Paul as it fills almost every aspect of his room?
Short Answer Questions
1. When does Paul's doctor appointment take place in Part 3?
2. As Paul further resents the examination, what type of parody does he call it?
3. What command does Paul direct toward his mother in Part 4?
4. What is Paul's mood at the end of Part 3?
5. How does the snow tell Paul to prepare for what is coming?
This section contains 496 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)