|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the most distressing feature of Paul's secret?
(a) The conflict between him and his mother and father.
(b) The inability to respond to his mother and father.
(c) The inability to hear his mother and father.
(d) The embarrassment of his mother and father.
2. How does Paul feel about his mother as Part 1 ends?
(a) He feels sorry for her.
(b) He feels contempt for her.
(c) He feels closer to her than before.
(d) He feels resentment toward her.
3. What is it becoming harder to do for Paul?
(a) Face the sun.
(b) Stay warm.
(c) Go to sleep.
(d) Get out of bed.
4. What does Miss Buell have on her desk?
(a) An apple.
(b) The homework assignments.
(c) A globe.
(d) A pen collection.
5. What does Paul state that his secret gives him?
(a) A door to close.
(b) A wall to stand up against.
(c) A wall to hide behind.
(d) A door to walk through.
6. How does Paul remember hearing the postman that morning?
(a) Barely audible at the second house before his.
(b) Barely audible at the house before his.
(c) Strangely loud in the snow.
(d) Strangely quiet in the rain.
7. How long is the class that Paul is in at the beginning of the story?
(a) Forty minutes.
(b) An hour.
(c) A half hour.
(d) An hour and a half.
8. What word does Paul read in large capital letters?
9. What does Paul notice in the gutter as he walks by it?
(a) A flyer.
(b) A newspaper.
(c) A letter.
(d) A magazine.
10. What kind of twigs are in the delta?
11. What does Paul describe the unknown component of the snow to be?
(a) Unmistakably satisfying.
(b) Unmistakably terrifying.
(c) Deliciously terrifying.
(d) Deliciously satisfying.
12. What is Paul thinking of as the other students answer Miss Buell's questions?
(a) The rain forests.
(b) The arctic regions.
(c) The tropic regions.
(d) The jungles.
13. What does the snow form as Paul approaches his street?
(a) A random mess.
(b) A transparent mirage.
(c) A solid wall.
(d) A constant array of color.
14. What kind of stamp does Paul's secret remind him of?
15. What number is on the front door of Paul's house?
Short Answer Questions
1. How old is Paul, as it is revealed in Part 2?
2. What causes Paul to think about his secret?
3. According to what Paul reads, how is Mrs. Amelia D. Cravath cured of her illness?
4. How many houses does Paul discover come before his own on the street?
5. What does Paul look past the snow to see in answering Miss Buell's question?
This section contains 434 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)