|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Paul NOT doing, as his mother points out in Part 1?
(c) Following the rules.
(d) Walking straight.
2. How is the cement sidewalk designed, according to Paul's description?
(a) In a striped pattern.
(b) In a haphazard pattern.
(c) In geometrical parallelograms.
(d) In geometrical trapezoids.
3. What kind of twigs are in the delta?
4. What does Paul imagine the snow on the street to be?
(a) White ragged lines.
(b) White perfect circles.
(c) White ragged circles.
(d) White centered lines.
5. What does Paul think of the effort it takes to answer Miss Buell's question?
(a) He finds it distracting.
(b) He finds it amusing.
(c) He finds it confusing.
(d) He finds it annoying.
6. What is Paul deliberately delaying on the way home from school?
(a) The pleasure of seeing his own street.
(b) The pain of seeing no snow on his roof.
(c) The pleasure of talking to the postman about snow.
(d) The pain of seeing his street.
7. Why did Paul put his hand into the bark of the elm tree?
(a) To feel the warm dead wood.
(b) To feel the cold living wood.
(c) To feel the warm living wood.
(d) To feel the cold dead wood.
8. At what cost does Paul believe he must keep his secret?
(a) At whatever joy it brings others.
(b) At whatever confusion it brings others.
(c) At whatever embarrassment it causes to others.
(d) At whatever pain it causes to others.
9. What shape are the stones balanced on top of the gateway posts?
10. What does Paul think the snow is in Part 2?
(a) As necessary requirement.
(b) A restrictive nightmare.
(c) A pointless distraction.
(d) A paralyzing beauty.
11. How long is the class that Paul is in at the beginning of the story?
(a) An hour.
(b) An hour and a half.
(c) A half hour.
(d) Forty minutes.
12. What number is on the front door of Paul's house?
13. What is Paul thinking of as the other students answer Miss Buell's questions?
(a) The arctic regions.
(b) The jungles.
(c) The tropic regions.
(d) The rain forests.
14. How old is Paul, as it is revealed in Part 2?
15. What is the mud like in the delta?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is of the utmost significance to Paul, with regard to his secret?
2. What does Paul tell his mother it would be fun to be in Part 1?
3. Where is the birdhouse?
4. Why is the birdhouse empty?
5. How does Deidre smile at Paul after he answers the question in class?
This section contains 465 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)