|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Paul NOT doing, as his mother points out in Part 1?
(b) Following the rules.
(c) Walking straight.
2. What does Paul imagine the snow on the street to be?
(a) White perfect circles.
(b) White ragged lines.
(c) White ragged circles.
(d) White centered lines.
3. What cannot compare with the snow, according to Paul?
(a) An epic poem.
(b) A great novel.
(c) A fairy tale.
(d) A play.
4. What does Miss Buell have on her desk?
(a) The homework assignments.
(b) An apple.
(c) A globe.
(d) A pen collection.
5. What does Paul tell his mother it would be fun to be in Part 1?
(a) A polar bear.
(b) An Eskimo.
(c) An explorer.
(d) A hockey player.
6. What was Paul doing when his secret appeared for the first time?
(a) Eating breakfast.
(b) Going to sleep.
(c) Waking up.
(d) Eating lunch.
7. What does Paul compare his secret to in the beginning of the story?
(a) A beautiful picture.
(b) A beautiful day.
(c) A beautiful basket.
(d) A beautiful trinket.
8. What happens to the snow while Paul's secret becomes more apparent?
(a) It gets heavier.
(b) It gets brighter.
(c) It gets darker.
(d) It gets lighter.
9. What number is on the front door of Paul's house?
10. What does Paul notice in the gutter as he walks by it?
(a) A flyer.
(b) A letter.
(c) A newspaper.
(d) A magazine.
11. What does Paul state that his secret gives him?
(a) A door to close.
(b) A wall to stand up against.
(c) A door to walk through.
(d) A wall to hide behind.
12. How does Paul remember hearing the postman that morning?
(a) Barely audible at the second house before his.
(b) Strangely loud in the snow.
(c) Strangely quiet in the rain.
(d) Barely audible at the house before his.
13. At what cost does Paul believe he must keep his secret?
(a) At whatever pain it causes to others.
(b) At whatever confusion it brings others.
(c) At whatever embarrassment it causes to others.
(d) At whatever joy it brings others.
14. How does Paul describe the roadway on his street in Part 1?
15. How does Paul describe Miss Buell's face?
(a) Grayish and unfriendly.
(b) Reddish and unfriendly.
(c) Grayish and kindly.
(d) Reddish and kindly.
Short Answer Questions
1. What letter is stenciled on the brick wall in the background?
2. What does Paul do with his secret?
3. How is the cement sidewalk designed, according to Paul's description?
4. What does Paul view his secret as?
5. How does Paul hear the bell ring during his secret's first appearance?
This section contains 451 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)