|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Paul observe the elm tree and other things on his way home?
(a) With a tolerant eye.
(b) With a tainted eye.
(c) With a careful eye.
(d) With a skeptical eye.
2. How many posts are at the gateway Paul encounters?
3. What is Paul thinking of as the other students answer Miss Buell's questions?
(a) The tropic regions.
(b) The jungles.
(c) The rain forests.
(d) The arctic regions.
4. What letter is stenciled on the brick wall in the background?
5. What does Paul state that his secret gives him?
(a) A wall to stand up against.
(b) A door to close.
(c) A door to walk through.
(d) A wall to hide behind.
6. What does Paul look past the snow to see in answering Miss Buell's question?
(a) The blackboard.
(b) His textbook.
(c) The window.
(d) The door.
7. What kind of sparrows does Paul see?
8. How does Paul feel about his mother as Part 1 ends?
(a) He feels sorry for her.
(b) He feels resentment toward her.
(c) He feels closer to her than before.
(d) He feels contempt for her.
9. What does Paul imagine was NOT recorded as the dog walked through the wet cement?
(a) His tail wagging.
(b) His 2 rear feet.
(c) His barking.
(d) His 2 front feet.
10. How old is Paul, as it is revealed in Part 2?
11. What happens to the snow while Paul's secret becomes more apparent?
(a) It gets heavier.
(b) It gets brighter.
(c) It gets darker.
(d) It gets lighter.
12. What is it becoming harder to do for Paul?
(a) Face the sun.
(b) Get out of bed.
(c) Stay warm.
(d) Go to sleep.
13. What is the most distressing feature of Paul's secret?
(a) The inability to hear his mother and father.
(b) The conflict between him and his mother and father.
(c) The inability to respond to his mother and father.
(d) The embarrassment of his mother and father.
14. How long is the class that Paul is in at the beginning of the story?
(a) An hour and a half.
(b) An hour.
(c) Forty minutes.
(d) A half hour.
15. What does the grocer's shop have in its window?
(a) A cardboard man.
(b) A cardboard sign.
(c) A plastic sign.
(d) A plastic man.
Short Answer Questions
1. What has happened to the river as Paul crosses it on his way home?
2. What was Paul doing when his secret appeared for the first time?
3. What does Paul notice about his window as he stands underneath it in Part 2?
4. As Paul observes, what are the garden walls made of?
5. What causes Paul to think about his secret?
This section contains 467 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)