|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the most distressing feature of Paul's secret?
(a) The inability to respond to his mother and father.
(b) The conflict between him and his mother and father.
(c) The embarrassment of his mother and father.
(d) The inability to hear his mother and father.
2. What does Paul think of the effort it takes to answer Miss Buell's question?
(a) He finds it amusing.
(b) He finds it distracting.
(c) He finds it annoying.
(d) He finds it confusing.
3. How does Paul describe the postman's knock on the door of his house?
4. What does Paul call the balanced stones?
(a) A perpetual horror.
(b) A perpetual wonder.
(c) A sign of weakness.
(d) A sign of strength.
5. What kind of a life does Paul think he is leading?
(a) A deceptive life.
(b) A pointless life.
(c) A double life.
(d) A triple life.
6. What kind of twigs are in the delta?
7. What has happened to the river as Paul crosses it on his way home?
(a) It has frozen.
(b) It has become dirty.
(c) It has dried up.
(d) It has flooded.
8. Where is the birdhouse?
(a) In the apple tree.
(b) In the cherry tree.
(c) On the porch.
(d) In the yard.
9. What class is Paul in as the story begins?
10. As Paul observes, what are the garden walls made of?
(a) Wood, plaster, and stone.
(b) Wood, plastic, and stone.
(c) Brick, plastic, and stone.
(d) Brick, plaster, and stone.
11. What does Paul look past the snow to see in answering Miss Buell's question?
(a) The blackboard.
(b) His textbook.
(c) The window.
(d) The door.
12. What word does Paul read in large capital letters?
13. As Paul remembers, how many times does his mother ask him to pass the plate at the luncheon table?
14. What leans over the garden walls on Paul's walk home?
15. How does Paul observe the elm tree and other things on his way home?
(a) With a tainted eye.
(b) With a skeptical eye.
(c) With a tolerant eye.
(d) With a careful eye.
Short Answer Questions
1. What number is on the front door of Paul's house?
2. What shape are the stones balanced on top of the gateway posts?
3. What color is the hydrant with the painted chain on it that Paul sees?
4. According to what Paul reads, how is Mrs. Amelia D. Cravath cured of her illness?
5. What word does Paul use to depict the walk home in the beginning of Part 2?
This section contains 422 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)