|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Paul imagine while looking through his window?
(a) That he can see his bedroom wall.
(b) That he can see himself.
(c) That he can see his father.
(d) That he can see his mother.
2. How many posts are at the gateway Paul encounters?
3. What does Paul notice about his window as he stands underneath it in Part 2?
(a) It is closed.
(b) It is open.
(c) It is dirty.
(d) It has snow on it.
4. Why did Paul put his hand into the bark of the elm tree?
(a) To feel the cold living wood.
(b) To feel the warm living wood.
(c) To feel the cold dead wood.
(d) To feel the warm dead wood.
5. What does Paul tell his mother it would be fun to be in Part 1?
(a) A polar bear.
(b) An Eskimo.
(c) A hockey player.
(d) An explorer.
6. How does Paul feel about his mother as Part 1 ends?
(a) He feels resentment toward her.
(b) He feels contempt for her.
(c) He feels sorry for her.
(d) He feels closer to her than before.
7. What is the mud like in the delta?
8. What does Paul's mother get for him to help with his new vagueness?
(b) A bell.
(c) A new set of shutters.
(d) A new lamp.
9. When did Paul's secret start?
(a) In December.
(b) In February.
(c) In November.
(d) In January.
10. What type of inlay is located at the end of the sidewalk?
11. What has Paul neglected about his shoes?
(a) To dust them.
(b) To polish them.
(c) To tie them.
(d) To wash them.
12. What is of the utmost significance to Paul, with regard to his secret?
(a) To remain selfish.
(b) To remain focused.
(c) To remain resolute.
(d) To remain generous.
13. What is Paul listening for the postman to do when his secret appears?
(a) Walk away from the house.
(b) Round the corner.
(d) Run down the street.
14. What does Paul imagine was NOT recorded as the dog walked through the wet cement?
(a) His 2 front feet.
(b) His 2 rear feet.
(c) His barking.
(d) His tail wagging.
15. What kind of swelling does the cat have on its cheek?
(a) A curious one.
(b) A familiar one.
(c) A sickly one.
(d) A healthy one.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Paul compare his secret to in the beginning of the story?
2. What color is the hydrant with the painted chain on it that Paul sees?
3. In Part 1, what is Miss Buell talking about as Paul remembers his secret?
4. How does Paul hear the bell ring during his secret's first appearance?
5. How does Paul observe the elm tree and other things on his way home?
This section contains 477 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)