|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What leans over the garden walls on Paul's walk home?
2. What happens to the cobblestones as Paul's secret progresses?
(a) They become muffled.
(b) They become smoother.
(c) They become hidden.
(d) They become clearer.
3. What does Paul notice about his window as he stands underneath it in Part 2?
(a) It is dirty.
(b) It has snow on it.
(c) It is open.
(d) It is closed.
4. Why did Paul put his hand into the bark of the elm tree?
(a) To feel the warm living wood.
(b) To feel the warm dead wood.
(c) To feel the cold dead wood.
(d) To feel the cold living wood.
5. What is of the utmost significance to Paul, with regard to his secret?
(a) To remain generous.
(b) To remain resolute.
(c) To remain selfish.
(d) To remain focused.
6. What kind of gaze is Paul using to look at the birdhouse?
(a) An incomparable gaze.
(b) A focused gaze.
(c) A determined gaze.
(d) An uncomprehending gaze.
7. When did Paul's secret start?
(a) In December.
(b) In January.
(c) In February.
(d) In November.
8. What word does Paul use to describe the progress of his secret?
9. How many posts are at the gateway Paul encounters?
10. What does Paul contemplate about the following morning in Part 2?
(a) If the postman will have trouble finding his house with all the snow.
(b) If he will hear the postman.
(c) If the postman will knock louder than usual.
(d) If the postman will skip his house.
11. What letter is stenciled on the brick wall in the background?
12. How old is Paul, as it is revealed in Part 2?
13. What does Paul look past the snow to see in answering Miss Buell's question?
(a) The window.
(b) His textbook.
(c) The door.
(d) The blackboard.
14. How are the bricks laid in the sidewalks?
(c) In many patterns.
(d) In one consistent pattern.
15. What does Paul notice in the gutter as he walks by it?
(a) A magazine.
(b) A flyer.
(c) A letter.
(d) A newspaper.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Paul imagine was NOT recorded as the dog walked through the wet cement?
2. Why is the birdhouse empty?
3. How does Paul describe his street in Part 2 of the story?
4. What are the items Paul notices on his walk in comparison to the snow?
5. What has happened to the river as Paul crosses it on his way home?
This section contains 453 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)