|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What kind of twigs are in the delta?
2. Why did Paul put his hand into the bark of the elm tree?
(a) To feel the warm dead wood.
(b) To feel the warm living wood.
(c) To feel the cold dead wood.
(d) To feel the cold living wood.
3. What does Paul imagine while looking through his window?
(a) That he can see his mother.
(b) That he can see himself.
(c) That he can see his father.
(d) That he can see his bedroom wall.
4. What is Paul deliberately delaying on the way home from school?
(a) The pleasure of seeing his own street.
(b) The pain of seeing his street.
(c) The pain of seeing no snow on his roof.
(d) The pleasure of talking to the postman about snow.
5. What cannot compare with the snow, according to Paul?
(a) An epic poem.
(b) A fairy tale.
(c) A play.
(d) A great novel.
6. What does Paul think of the effort it takes to answer Miss Buell's question?
(a) He finds it confusing.
(b) He finds it distracting.
(c) He finds it amusing.
(d) He finds it annoying.
7. How does Paul remember hearing the postman that morning?
(a) Barely audible at the house before his.
(b) Strangely quiet in the rain.
(c) Strangely loud in the snow.
(d) Barely audible at the second house before his.
8. What does Paul describe the unknown component of the snow to be?
(a) Unmistakably satisfying.
(b) Unmistakably terrifying.
(c) Deliciously terrifying.
(d) Deliciously satisfying.
9. Where is the birdhouse?
(a) In the yard.
(b) In the apple tree.
(c) In the cherry tree.
(d) On the porch.
10. What kind of boots does the postman have?
11. At what cost does Paul believe he must keep his secret?
(a) At whatever confusion it brings others.
(b) At whatever embarrassment it causes to others.
(c) At whatever joy it brings others.
(d) At whatever pain it causes to others.
12. What leans over the garden walls on Paul's walk home?
13. What number is on the front door of Paul's house?
14. What has happened to the river as Paul crosses it on his way home?
(a) It has dried up.
(b) It has flooded.
(c) It has become dirty.
(d) It has frozen.
15. What does Paul view his secret as?
(a) A sense of direction.
(b) A sense of possession.
(c) A sense of education.
(d) A sense of humor.
Short Answer Questions
1. What type of inlay is located at the end of the sidewalk?
2. When did Paul's secret start?
3. What does Paul call the balanced stones?
4. What does Paul wonder as he looks at his house?
5. What color is the hydrant with the painted chain on it that Paul sees?
This section contains 473 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)