|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is of the utmost significance to Paul, with regard to his secret?
(a) To remain generous.
(b) To remain selfish.
(c) To remain resolute.
(d) To remain focused.
2. What happens to the postman's footsteps, as Paul recalls?
(a) They gradually become more annoying.
(b) They gradually become more indistinct.
(c) They gradually become more distinct.
(d) They gradually become less annoying.
3. Where is the birdhouse?
(a) In the yard.
(b) In the cherry tree.
(c) On the porch.
(d) In the apple tree.
4. What is Paul NOT doing, as his mother points out in Part 1?
(a) Walking straight.
(d) Following the rules.
5. How does Paul remember hearing the postman that morning?
(a) Barely audible at the house before his.
(b) Strangely quiet in the rain.
(c) Barely audible at the second house before his.
(d) Strangely loud in the snow.
6. What shape are the stones balanced on top of the gateway posts?
7. What does Paul look past the snow to see in answering Miss Buell's question?
(a) His textbook.
(b) The door.
(c) The blackboard.
(d) The window.
8. What type of inlay is located at the end of the sidewalk?
9. What is Paul listening for the postman to do when his secret appears?
(a) Run down the street.
(b) Round the corner.
(c) Walk away from the house.
10. What is Paul deliberately delaying on the way home from school?
(a) The pleasure of seeing his own street.
(b) The pleasure of talking to the postman about snow.
(c) The pain of seeing his street.
(d) The pain of seeing no snow on his roof.
11. How are the bricks laid in the sidewalks?
(b) In one consistent pattern.
(c) In many patterns.
12. What does Paul think about the thoughts he is having of his secret during class?
(a) They are a disturbance.
(b) They are a distraction.
(c) They are unacceptable.
(d) They are a pleasure.
13. What causes Paul to think about his secret?
(a) The ocean.
(b) The first hour.
(c) The sky.
(d) The first morning.
14. In Part 1, what is Miss Buell talking about as Paul remembers his secret?
(a) Sea of perpetual snow.
(b) Land of perpetual snow.
(c) Sea of unpredictable snow.
(d) Land of unpredictable snow.
15. What does the snow form as Paul approaches his street?
(a) A random mess.
(b) A constant array of color.
(c) A transparent mirage.
(d) A solid wall.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Paul describe the coin that matches his secret?
2. How is the cement sidewalk designed, according to Paul's description?
3. What does Paul think the snow is in Part 2?
4. What does Paul wonder as he looks at his house?
5. What class is Paul in as the story begins?
This section contains 472 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)