|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What will happen if Rodrigues does not apostatize?
2. Which Portuguese name does the interpreter mention?
3. What word best describes Rodrigues' prison cell?
4. Why is the caravan covered?
5. What does Inoue not consider Christianity to be?
Short Essay Questions
1. From what does the snoring sound come?
2. What does Rodrigues realize in Chapter 7?
3. What will happen to the villagers in Chapter 7 if Rodrigues does not apostatize?
4. How does the interpreter treat Rodrigues now that he is employed by the magistrate?
5. How is Rodrigues humiliated at the beginning of Chapter 8?
6. What do Ferreria and Rodrigues talk about in Chapter 7?
7. What does Rodrigues think when Kichijiro brings him rice?
8. How does Rodrigues contradict his own advice during his captivity?
9. What does the samurai say has happened to Ferreira?
10. What do Rodrigues and Inoue discuss in Chapter 7?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Silence is part of the historical fiction genre.
1) What are the conventions of the historical fiction genre in terms of character, language and plot?
2) In what way did Silence help to set the template for similar novels? Do modern novels still use the ideas used in Silence?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the novel's chronological setting.
1) What were the main concerns in Japan during the 17th century. How does Endo express these concerns?
2) How would the novel's meaning change if it were set in today's society?
Essay Topic 3
Identify the main themes of the story. Why do you think these themes are so important to the story? How does Endo use character and setting to express these themes?
This section contains 701 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)