|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the samurai with whom Rodrigues is talking?
2. What does a guard give Rodrigues one morning?
3. Where are the peasants forced to work?
4. Where does Jonassen work?
5. Who does Ferreira say would also have apostacized in the same situation?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Rodrigues' meeting with the five samurai.
2. What does the priest contemplate as he watches the death of the old man?
3. From what does the snoring sound come?
4. How does Rodrigues contradict his own advice during his captivity?
5. What do Rodrigues and Inoue discuss in Chapter 7?
6. What is Yokose-no-Ura?
7. Describe the reappearance of Kichijiro in Chapter 6.
8. How does Rodrigues react to the sound of his jailer snoring?
9. Where do the guards take Rodrigues in Chapter 5?
10. What do Ferreria and Rodrigues talk about in Chapter 7?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Identify the main themes of the story. Why do you think these themes are so important to the story? How does Endo use character and setting to express these themes?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the history of Christianity in Japan.
1) Who brought Christianity into Japan and how did the Japanese initially react to the religion?
2) Why were Christians persecuted in the 17th century?
3) What role does Christianity play in modern day Japan?
Essay Topic 3
Silence is part of the historical fiction genre.
1) What are the conventions of the historical fiction genre in terms of character, language and plot?
2) In what way did Silence help to set the template for similar novels? Do modern novels still use the ideas used in Silence?
This section contains 672 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)