|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Rodrigues have to try and identify the objects as?
2. Who has to give permission before Rodrigues leaves his cell?
3. Who does Ferreirer serve?
4. What is the role of the next samurai who visits Rodrigues?
5. What is the season in Japan at the beginning of this chapter?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Rodrigues transported in a covered caravan?
2. How can Rodriguez's actions in Chapter 5 be deemed as wrong?
3. How is Rodrigues humiliated at the beginning of Chapter 8?
4. Why can Rodrigues and Ferreira no longer get along?
5. What does the priest contemplate as he watches the death of the old man?
6. How does Rodrigues react to the sound of his jailer snoring?
7. What does Rodrigues realize in Chapter 7?
8. What routine does Rodrigues settle into in Chapter 6?
9. Why did Ferreira decide to apostatize?
10. Describe Rodrigues' new life in Japan.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why did Ferreira give up on his missionary work? How different is Ferriera's life now that he is working for the Japanese? What is Ferreira's goal now that he is captured? How is it possible for him to achieve this goal?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the Japanese samurai.
1) What are their main ideas and beliefs? What influence have these ideas had on Japanese culture as a whole?
2) What power did the samurai hold in 17th century Japan?
3) Which position do the samurai hold in today's Japan?
Essay Topic 3
Look at the novel's characterization. How well drawn do you think Endo's characters are? Select one of the minor characters such as Ferreira and discuss how much you know about his background. In what ways does Endo provide the reader with information about that character?
This section contains 738 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)