|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does the interpreter say the peasants will be tortured?
2. To whose situation does Rodrigues compare his own?
3. What does a guard give Rodrigues one morning?
4. What do the two priests talk about?
5. Who of the following is with the three peasants?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where do the guards take Rodrigues in Chapter 5?
2. What routine does Rodrigues settle into in Chapter 6?
3. What happens to the elderly man in Chapter 6?
4. What does Rodrigues think when Kichijiro brings him rice?
5. Why can Rodrigues and Ferreira no longer get along?
6. What are Rodrigues' feelings towards Ferreira?
7. How does Rodrigues contradict his own advice during his captivity?
8. Describe the reappearance of Kichijiro in Chapter 6.
9. What does the samurai say has happened to Ferreira?
10. What will happen to the villagers in Chapter 7 if Rodrigues does not apostatize?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine Endo's writing style. How would you describe Endo's prose style? What kind of vocabulary does he use? Does he use any specific writing techniques? What meaning does Endo's style give to the story?
Essay Topic 2
Pick a character from the novel and discuss his goals and motives. Does he achieve his motives? Why? Does he share similar goals and motives with other characters? Do his goals clash with other characters? How does the character's goals and motives affect his interaction with other characters?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the history of Christianity in Japan.
1) Who brought Christianity into Japan and how did the Japanese initially react to the religion?
2) Why were Christians persecuted in the 17th century?
3) What role does Christianity play in modern day Japan?
This section contains 677 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)