|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Inoue and Rodrigues discuss?
2. Who is following Rodrigues as he is paraded through the streets?
3. What is Jonassen's nationality?
4. Who of the following is with the three peasants?
5. Who else works at the magistrates office?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Yokose-no-Ura?
2. Why can Rodrigues and Ferreira no longer get along?
3. What does the samurai say has happened to Ferreira?
4. Describe Rodrigues' new life in Japan.
5. What are Rodrigues' feelings towards Ferreira?
6. What happens to the elderly man in Chapter 6?
7. What do Rodrigues and Inoue discuss in Chapter 7?
8. What does Rodrigues realize in Chapter 7?
9. How does Rodrigues contradict his own advice during his captivity?
10. What will happen to the villagers in Chapter 7 if Rodrigues does not apostatize?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Look at the main religions and institutions in Japan, and using examples from the book and two other sources, discuss how Christianity could conflict with traditional Japanese beliefs.
Essay Topic 2
Look at the structure of the novel.
1) How does Endo use character and dialogue to drive the narrative?
2) Discuss elements of the narrative structure: exposition, conflict, complication, climax, resolution and conclusion. Do all the elements make for a logical and linear story? How does the story's structure express the novel's themes?
3) Aside from the main character, Rodrigues, examine the way Endo uses the other characters in the story. When does he introduce and take them away from the story? What effect does it have on the story?
Essay Topic 3
Pick a character from the novel and discuss his goals and motives. Does he achieve his motives? Why? Does he share similar goals and motives with other characters? Do his goals clash with other characters? How does the character's goals and motives affect his interaction with other characters?
This section contains 725 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)