Final Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. On what kind of animal is Rodrigues placed?
2. What usually precedes the final procession?
3. What do the two priests talk about?
4. Where are the peasants forced to work?
5. What is the name of the samurai with whom Rodrigues is talking?
Essay Topic 1
Examine the novel's dialogue. How does Endo's dialogue contribute to the following areas:
Essay Topic 2
Silence is part of the historical fiction genre.
1) What are the conventions of the historical fiction genre in terms of character, language and plot?
2) In what way did Silence help to set the template for similar novels? Do modern novels still use the ideas used in Silence?
Essay Topic 3
The novel is set mostly in Japan.
1) What meaning does Japan bring to the novel? What would you automatically presume about a novel that was set in Japan?
2) How different do you think today's Japan is to the Japan in the novel? How do you think the novel's meaning would change if it were set in today's Japan?
3) How do you think the Japanese settings contribute to the novel's spiritual meaning?
This section contains 216 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)