|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Rodrigues see begging on the way to town?
2. In what are the three peasants wrapped?
3. What does Rodrigues think Inoue is doing as a tactic?
4. Which Portuguese name does the interpreter mention?
5. What has Rodrigues not had to endure so far?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Rodrigues' meeting with the five samurai.
2. What do Ferreria and Rodrigues talk about in Chapter 7?
3. What happens to the elderly man in Chapter 6?
4. From what does the snoring sound come?
5. What routine does Rodrigues settle into in Chapter 6?
6. What does the samurai say has happened to Ferreira?
7. Describe the reappearance of Kichijiro in Chapter 6.
8. What ultimatum does the samurai give Rodrigues in Chapter 5?
9. What is Yokose-no-Ura?
10. What will happen to the villagers in Chapter 7 if Rodrigues does not apostatize?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Pick a character from the novel and discuss his goals and motives. Does he achieve his motives? Why? Does he share similar goals and motives with other characters? Do his goals clash with other characters? How does the character's goals and motives affect his interaction with other characters?
Essay Topic 2
Identify the main themes of the story. Why do you think these themes are so important to the story? How does Endo use character and setting to express these themes?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the Japanese samurai.
1) What are their main ideas and beliefs? What influence have these ideas had on Japanese culture as a whole?
2) What power did the samurai hold in 17th century Japan?
3) Which position do the samurai hold in today's Japan?
This section contains 687 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)