Final Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. On what kind of animal is Rodrigues placed?
2. What usually precedes the final procession?
3. What do the two priests talk about?
4. Where are the peasants forced to work?
5. What is the name of the samurai with whom Rodrigues is talking?
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Endo's life. In what way do you think his life and personality are reflected in the book?
Essay Topic 2
Examine Endo's writing style. How would you describe Endo's prose style? What kind of vocabulary does he use? Does he use any specific writing techniques? What meaning does Endo's style give to the story?
Essay Topic 3
Look at the structure of the novel.
1) How does Endo use character and dialogue to drive the narrative?
2) Discuss elements of the narrative structure: exposition, conflict, complication, climax, resolution and conclusion. Do all the elements make for a logical and linear story? How does the story's structure express the novel's themes?
3) Aside from the main character, Rodrigues, examine the way Endo uses the other characters in the story. When does he introduce and take them away from the story? What effect does it have on the story?
This section contains 221 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)