|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Rodrigues travel to the town?
2. Where does the interpreter say the peasants will be tortured?
3. What is Jonassen's nationality?
4. What is the source of the snoring Rodrigues thinks he can hear?
5. What does Rodrigues convince the guard to give him?
Essay Topic 1
Silence is described as historical fiction and therefore the reader would expect aspects of the novel to be historically accurate. What parts of the novel do you think have to be accurate? In what parts does Endo need to exaggerate the truth and why? Can such a book ever be regarded as an accurate historical account?
Essay Topic 2
Use the following statement to write a 500-word essay: While Endo looks at the persecution of Japanese Christians, the book fails to address why the Japanese government was against Christianity.
Essay Topic 3
Look at the structure of the novel.
1) How does Endo use character and dialogue to drive the narrative?
2) Discuss elements of the narrative structure: exposition, conflict, complication, climax, resolution and conclusion. Do all the elements make for a logical and linear story? How does the story's structure express the novel's themes?
3) Aside from the main character, Rodrigues, examine the way Endo uses the other characters in the story. When does he introduce and take them away from the story? What effect does it have on the story?
This section contains 986 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)