|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does the interpreter say the peasants will be tortured?
2. Where do the guards put the elderly man's body?
3. Which Portuguese name does the interpreter mention?
4. Where does Jonassen work?
5. Who does Rodrigues see begging on the way to town?
Short Essay Questions
1. What routine does Rodrigues settle into in Chapter 6?
2. How does the interpreter treat Rodrigues now that he is employed by the magistrate?
3. What does the samurai say has happened to Ferreira?
4. What is Yokose-no-Ura?
5. How can Rodriguez's actions in Chapter 5 be deemed as wrong?
6. What do Rodrigues and Inoue discuss in Chapter 7?
7. What will happen to the villagers in Chapter 7 if Rodrigues does not apostatize?
8. How does Rodrigues react to the sound of his jailer snoring?
9. How does Rodrigues find comfort even in his dire situation?
10. What does Rodrigues realize in Chapter 7?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Look at the novel's characterization. How well drawn do you think Endo's characters are? Select one of the minor characters such as Ferreira and discuss how much you know about his background. In what ways does Endo provide the reader with information about that character?
Essay Topic 2
Compare the characters of Ferreira and Rodrigues.
1) In what ways do their morals and beliefs differ?
2) Do you agree they are one of the same person as Endo states at the end of the novel?
3) How can they help each other as they struggle to cope with life in Japan?
Essay Topic 3
Silence is described as historical fiction and therefore the reader would expect aspects of the novel to be historically accurate. What parts of the novel do you think have to be accurate? In what parts does Endo need to exaggerate the truth and why? Can such a book ever be regarded as an accurate historical account?
This section contains 695 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)