|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. To whose situation does Rodrigues compare his own?
2. Whose image do the peasants have to trample on in this chapter?
3. What does the interpreter try and persuade Rodrigues to do?
4. Where are the objects brought in from?
5. What is the trampling called?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Endo was a Catholic. Using two examples from the novel, discuss the ways the story reflects Endo's beliefs and the problems he may have faced as a part of a minority group.
Essay Topic 2
Identify the main themes of the story. Why do you think these themes are so important to the story? How does Endo use character and setting to express these themes?
Essay Topic 3
Look at the novel's characterization. How well drawn do you think Endo's characters are? Select one of the minor characters such as Ferreira and discuss how much you know about his background. In what ways does Endo provide the reader with information about that character?
This section contains 981 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)