|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Jonassen's nationality?
2. What does Inoue not consider Christianity to be?
3. Who does Rodrigues think he can hear snoring?
4. On what kind of animal is Rodrigues placed?
5. Who dives in to try and save the three peasants?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the samurai say has happened to Ferreira?
2. What are Rodrigues' feelings towards Ferreira?
3. From what does the snoring sound come?
4. What is Yokose-no-Ura?
5. How can Rodriguez's actions in Chapter 5 be deemed as wrong?
6. What does the priest contemplate as he watches the death of the old man?
7. Describe Rodrigues' meeting with the five samurai.
8. What does Rodrigues realize in Chapter 7?
9. Why is Rodrigues transported in a covered caravan?
10. How does the interpreter treat Rodrigues now that he is employed by the magistrate?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Endo's life. In what way do you think his life and personality are reflected in the book?
Essay Topic 2
The novel is set mostly in Japan.
1) What meaning does Japan bring to the novel? What would you automatically presume about a novel that was set in Japan?
2) How different do you think today's Japan is to the Japan in the novel? How do you think the novel's meaning would change if it were set in today's Japan?
3) How do you think the Japanese settings contribute to the novel's spiritual meaning?
Essay Topic 3
Look at the structure of the novel.
1) How does Endo use character and dialogue to drive the narrative?
2) Discuss elements of the narrative structure: exposition, conflict, complication, climax, resolution and conclusion. Do all the elements make for a logical and linear story? How does the story's structure express the novel's themes?
3) Aside from the main character, Rodrigues, examine the way Endo uses the other characters in the story. When does he introduce and take them away from the story? What effect does it have on the story?
This section contains 683 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)