|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Rodrigues meet at the end of the chapter?
2. From where does the unknown guest come?
3. What do the two priests talk about?
4. In what is Rodriguez transported through the streets?
5. What does the interpreter try and persuade Rodrigues to do?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the interpreter treat Rodrigues now that he is employed by the magistrate?
2. What are Rodrigues' feelings towards Ferreira?
3. What does Rodrigues think when Kichijiro brings him rice?
4. Why did Ferreira decide to apostatize?
5. What do Rodrigues and Inoue discuss in Chapter 7?
6. How does Rodrigues find comfort even in his dire situation?
7. What happens to the elderly man in Chapter 6?
8. How is Rodrigues humiliated at the beginning of Chapter 8?
9. What will happen to the villagers in Chapter 7 if Rodrigues does not apostatize?
10. Where do the guards take Rodrigues in Chapter 5?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Look at the novel's characterization. How well drawn do you think Endo's characters are? Select one of the minor characters such as Ferreira and discuss how much you know about his background. In what ways does Endo provide the reader with information about that character?
Essay Topic 2
Look at the structure of the novel.
1) How does Endo use character and dialogue to drive the narrative?
2) Discuss elements of the narrative structure: exposition, conflict, complication, climax, resolution and conclusion. Do all the elements make for a logical and linear story? How does the story's structure express the novel's themes?
3) Aside from the main character, Rodrigues, examine the way Endo uses the other characters in the story. When does he introduce and take them away from the story? What effect does it have on the story?
Essay Topic 3
The novel is set mostly in Japan.
1) What meaning does Japan bring to the novel? What would you automatically presume about a novel that was set in Japan?
2) How different do you think today's Japan is to the Japan in the novel? How do you think the novel's meaning would change if it were set in today's Japan?
3) How do you think the Japanese settings contribute to the novel's spiritual meaning?
This section contains 761 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)