|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Ferreira say he could not take anymore?
2. What do Inoue and Rodrigues discuss?
3. Rodrigues believes there is still hope for ___________________________.
4. What does the woman offer Rodrigues to eat?
5. Whose image do the peasants have to trample on in this chapter?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Rodrigues react to the sound of his jailer snoring?
2. Why did Ferreira decide to apostatize?
3. Why is Rodrigues transported in a covered caravan?
4. How is Rodrigues humiliated at the beginning of Chapter 8?
5. Why can Rodrigues and Ferreira no longer get along?
6. How does the interpreter treat Rodrigues now that he is employed by the magistrate?
7. From what does the snoring sound come?
8. How can Rodriguez's actions in Chapter 5 be deemed as wrong?
9. What are Rodrigues' feelings towards Ferreira?
10. What do Rodrigues and Inoue discuss in Chapter 7?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Identify the main themes of the story. Why do you think these themes are so important to the story? How does Endo use character and setting to express these themes?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Endo's life. In what way do you think his life and personality are reflected in the book?
Essay Topic 3
Silence is described as historical fiction and therefore the reader would expect aspects of the novel to be historically accurate. What parts of the novel do you think have to be accurate? In what parts does Endo need to exaggerate the truth and why? Can such a book ever be regarded as an accurate historical account?
This section contains 625 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)