|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What will happen if Rodrigues does not apostatize?
2. What does the woman offer Rodrigues to eat?
3. Why is the caravan covered?
4. What is the goal of a missionary?
5. Where does the interpreter say the peasants will be tortured?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Rodrigues transported in a covered caravan?
2. What is Yokose-no-Ura?
3. What does Rodrigues realize in Chapter 7?
4. How can Rodriguez's actions in Chapter 5 be deemed as wrong?
5. How does Rodrigues find comfort even in his dire situation?
6. What do Ferreria and Rodrigues talk about in Chapter 7?
7. Describe Rodrigues' meeting with the five samurai.
8. How does the interpreter treat Rodrigues now that he is employed by the magistrate?
9. What are Rodrigues' feelings towards Ferreira?
10. What happens to the elderly man in Chapter 6?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the Japanese samurai.
1) What are their main ideas and beliefs? What influence have these ideas had on Japanese culture as a whole?
2) What power did the samurai hold in 17th century Japan?
3) Which position do the samurai hold in today's Japan?
Essay Topic 2
Look at the main religions and institutions in Japan, and using examples from the book and two other sources, discuss how Christianity could conflict with traditional Japanese beliefs.
Essay Topic 3
Compare the characters of Ferreira and Rodrigues.
1) In what ways do their morals and beliefs differ?
2) Do you agree they are one of the same person as Endo states at the end of the novel?
3) How can they help each other as they struggle to cope with life in Japan?
This section contains 719 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)