|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to Garrpe?
2. Where are the objects brought in from?
3. Who does Rodrigues think he can hear snoring?
4. Where are the three peasants paraded?
5. What usually precedes the final procession?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Ferreria and Rodrigues talk about in Chapter 7?
2. What ultimatum does the samurai give Rodrigues in Chapter 5?
3. What does the samurai say has happened to Ferreira?
4. What does Rodrigues realize in Chapter 7?
5. How does the interpreter treat Rodrigues now that he is employed by the magistrate?
6. What is Yokose-no-Ura?
7. What happens to the elderly man in Chapter 6?
8. Describe the reappearance of Kichijiro in Chapter 6.
9. What are Rodrigues' feelings towards Ferreira?
10. Why can Rodrigues and Ferreira no longer get along?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Pick a character from the novel and discuss his goals and motives. Does he achieve his motives? Why? Does he share similar goals and motives with other characters? Do his goals clash with other characters? How does the character's goals and motives affect his interaction with other characters?
Essay Topic 2
Examine Endo's writing style. How would you describe Endo's prose style? What kind of vocabulary does he use? Does he use any specific writing techniques? What meaning does Endo's style give to the story?
Essay Topic 3
Silence is described as historical fiction and therefore the reader would expect aspects of the novel to be historically accurate. What parts of the novel do you think have to be accurate? In what parts does Endo need to exaggerate the truth and why? Can such a book ever be regarded as an accurate historical account?
This section contains 678 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)