|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Rodrigues have to try and identify the objects as?
2. What happens to Garrpe?
3. What is Rodrigues granted permission to do?
4. What is Jonassen's nationality?
5. What does Ferreira say he could not take anymore?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where do the guards take Rodrigues in Chapter 5?
2. What happens to the elderly man in Chapter 6?
3. How does the interpreter treat Rodrigues now that he is employed by the magistrate?
4. Describe Rodrigues' new life in Japan.
5. What is Yokose-no-Ura?
6. How is Rodrigues humiliated at the beginning of Chapter 8?
7. Why did Ferreira decide to apostatize?
8. What do Rodrigues and Inoue discuss in Chapter 7?
9. How does Rodrigues find comfort even in his dire situation?
10. What does Rodrigues realize in Chapter 7?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Silence is part of the historical fiction genre.
1) What are the conventions of the historical fiction genre in terms of character, language and plot?
2) In what way did Silence help to set the template for similar novels? Do modern novels still use the ideas used in Silence?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the Japanese samurai.
1) What are their main ideas and beliefs? What influence have these ideas had on Japanese culture as a whole?
2) What power did the samurai hold in 17th century Japan?
3) Which position do the samurai hold in today's Japan?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the novel's dialogue. How does Endo's dialogue contribute to the following areas:
This section contains 705 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)