|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Ferreira say he could not take anymore?
2. What does Rodrigues contemplate as he prays?
3. Rodrigues believes there is still hope for ___________________________.
4. What happens to Garrpe?
5. Who has ordered the peasants' torture?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the samurai say has happened to Ferreira?
2. Describe Rodrigues' new life in Japan.
3. How does Rodrigues react to the sound of his jailer snoring?
4. How does the interpreter treat Rodrigues now that he is employed by the magistrate?
5. What do Ferreria and Rodrigues talk about in Chapter 7?
6. What ultimatum does the samurai give Rodrigues in Chapter 5?
7. Describe Rodrigues' meeting with the five samurai.
8. Describe the reappearance of Kichijiro in Chapter 6.
9. What will happen to the villagers in Chapter 7 if Rodrigues does not apostatize?
10. Why can Rodrigues and Ferreira no longer get along?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine Endo's writing style. How would you describe Endo's prose style? What kind of vocabulary does he use? Does he use any specific writing techniques? What meaning does Endo's style give to the story?
Essay Topic 2
Use the following statement to write a 500-word essay: While Endo looks at the persecution of Japanese Christians, the book fails to address why the Japanese government was against Christianity.
Essay Topic 3
Identify the main themes of the story. Why do you think these themes are so important to the story? How does Endo use character and setting to express these themes?
This section contains 697 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)