|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who else works at the magistrates office?
2. Who dives in to try and save the three peasants?
3. Who of the following is with the three peasants?
4. What has Rodrigues not had to endure so far?
5. Who is following Rodrigues as he is paraded through the streets?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where do the guards take Rodrigues in Chapter 5?
2. What does the samurai say has happened to Ferreira?
3. How does Rodrigues react to the sound of his jailer snoring?
4. What do Ferreria and Rodrigues talk about in Chapter 7?
5. What happens to the elderly man in Chapter 6?
6. What will happen to the villagers in Chapter 7 if Rodrigues does not apostatize?
7. How is Rodrigues humiliated at the beginning of Chapter 8?
8. What are Rodrigues' feelings towards Ferreira?
9. From what does the snoring sound come?
10. What ultimatum does the samurai give Rodrigues in Chapter 5?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare the characters of Ferreira and Rodrigues.
1) In what ways do their morals and beliefs differ?
2) Do you agree they are one of the same person as Endo states at the end of the novel?
3) How can they help each other as they struggle to cope with life in Japan?
Essay Topic 2
Examine Endo's writing style. How would you describe Endo's prose style? What kind of vocabulary does he use? Does he use any specific writing techniques? What meaning does Endo's style give to the story?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the Japanese samurai.
1) What are their main ideas and beliefs? What influence have these ideas had on Japanese culture as a whole?
2) What power did the samurai hold in 17th century Japan?
3) Which position do the samurai hold in today's Japan?
This section contains 663 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)