|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what are the three peasants wrapped?
2. What does the interpreter try and persuade Rodrigues to do?
3. What does Rodrigues now feel for his former teacher?
4. In what is Rodriguez transported through the streets?
5. What does Kichijiro bring to Rodrigues?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where do the guards take Rodrigues in Chapter 5?
2. What does Rodrigues think when Kichijiro brings him rice?
3. How is Rodrigues humiliated at the beginning of Chapter 8?
4. What happens to the elderly man in Chapter 6?
5. How does Rodrigues find comfort even in his dire situation?
6. How does the interpreter treat Rodrigues now that he is employed by the magistrate?
7. Describe Rodrigues' meeting with the five samurai.
8. What do Ferreria and Rodrigues talk about in Chapter 7?
9. Describe the reappearance of Kichijiro in Chapter 6.
10. What do Rodrigues and Inoue discuss in Chapter 7?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Identify the main themes of the story. Why do you think these themes are so important to the story? How does Endo use character and setting to express these themes?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the novel's dialogue. How does Endo's dialogue contribute to the following areas:
Essay Topic 3
Examine the Japanese samurai.
1) What are their main ideas and beliefs? What influence have these ideas had on Japanese culture as a whole?
2) What power did the samurai hold in 17th century Japan?
3) Which position do the samurai hold in today's Japan?
This section contains 669 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)