|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the woman offer Rodrigues to eat?
2. Where are the peasants made to dig three holes?
3. What did Yokoso-no-Ura used to be?
4. Who is chased off by the guards in this chapter?
5. Who dives in to try and save the three peasants?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Rodrigues humiliated at the beginning of Chapter 8?
2. How does Rodrigues contradict his own advice during his captivity?
3. Why is Rodrigues transported in a covered caravan?
4. Describe Rodrigues' meeting with the five samurai.
5. Describe the reappearance of Kichijiro in Chapter 6.
6. Why can Rodrigues and Ferreira no longer get along?
7. What does Rodrigues realize in Chapter 7?
8. Why did Ferreira decide to apostatize?
9. How can Rodriguez's actions in Chapter 5 be deemed as wrong?
10. What will happen to the villagers in Chapter 7 if Rodrigues does not apostatize?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine Endo's writing style. How would you describe Endo's prose style? What kind of vocabulary does he use? Does he use any specific writing techniques? What meaning does Endo's style give to the story?
Essay Topic 2
Pick a character from the novel and discuss his goals and motives. Does he achieve his motives? Why? Does he share similar goals and motives with other characters? Do his goals clash with other characters? How does the character's goals and motives affect his interaction with other characters?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the novel's dialogue. How does Endo's dialogue contribute to the following areas:
This section contains 703 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)