|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Jonassen's nationality?
2. What does Rodrigues think Inoue is doing as a tactic?
3. What does one peasant fall sick from?
4. What does Inoue not consider Christianity to be?
5. With what is the elderly man killed?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why can Rodrigues and Ferreira no longer get along?
2. From what does the snoring sound come?
3. How does Rodrigues react to the sound of his jailer snoring?
4. What ultimatum does the samurai give Rodrigues in Chapter 5?
5. What do Ferreria and Rodrigues talk about in Chapter 7?
6. Why is Rodrigues transported in a covered caravan?
7. How does Rodrigues contradict his own advice during his captivity?
8. What are Rodrigues' feelings towards Ferreira?
9. Describe the reappearance of Kichijiro in Chapter 6.
10. How does the interpreter treat Rodrigues now that he is employed by the magistrate?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why did Ferreira give up on his missionary work? How different is Ferriera's life now that he is working for the Japanese? What is Ferreira's goal now that he is captured? How is it possible for him to achieve this goal?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the Japanese samurai.
1) What are their main ideas and beliefs? What influence have these ideas had on Japanese culture as a whole?
2) What power did the samurai hold in 17th century Japan?
3) Which position do the samurai hold in today's Japan?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the history of Christianity in Japan.
1) Who brought Christianity into Japan and how did the Japanese initially react to the religion?
2) Why were Christians persecuted in the 17th century?
3) What role does Christianity play in modern day Japan?
This section contains 646 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)