|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Ferreira say he could not take anymore?
2. What is the name of the samurai with whom Rodrigues is talking?
3. Who has ordered the peasants' torture?
4. In what does Ferreira say the Japanese have never believed?
5. What is the source of the snoring Rodrigues thinks he can hear?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Rodrigues realize in Chapter 7?
2. How can Rodriguez's actions in Chapter 5 be deemed as wrong?
3. Describe Rodrigues' new life in Japan.
4. Why did Ferreira decide to apostatize?
5. How does Rodrigues contradict his own advice during his captivity?
6. What ultimatum does the samurai give Rodrigues in Chapter 5?
7. What does the samurai say has happened to Ferreira?
8. What do Ferreria and Rodrigues talk about in Chapter 7?
9. Why is Rodrigues transported in a covered caravan?
10. Where do the guards take Rodrigues in Chapter 5?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Look at the novel's characterization. How well drawn do you think Endo's characters are? Select one of the minor characters such as Ferreira and discuss how much you know about his background. In what ways does Endo provide the reader with information about that character?
Essay Topic 2
Silence is part of the historical fiction genre.
1) What are the conventions of the historical fiction genre in terms of character, language and plot?
2) In what way did Silence help to set the template for similar novels? Do modern novels still use the ideas used in Silence?
Essay Topic 3
Look at the main religions and institutions in Japan, and using examples from the book and two other sources, discuss how Christianity could conflict with traditional Japanese beliefs.
This section contains 736 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)