|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what are the three peasants wrapped?
2. What is the source of the snoring Rodrigues thinks he can hear?
3. Who has ordered the peasants' torture?
4. Rodrigues believes there is still hope for ___________________________.
5. What does Ferreira say he could not take anymore?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the priest contemplate as he watches the death of the old man?
2. What does Rodrigues realize in Chapter 7?
3. What do Rodrigues and Inoue discuss in Chapter 7?
4. What does Rodrigues think when Kichijiro brings him rice?
5. Why is Rodrigues transported in a covered caravan?
6. What happens to the elderly man in Chapter 6?
7. How does Rodrigues react to the sound of his jailer snoring?
8. What ultimatum does the samurai give Rodrigues in Chapter 5?
9. Describe Rodrigues' new life in Japan.
10. Why can Rodrigues and Ferreira no longer get along?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Endo's life. In what way do you think his life and personality are reflected in the book?
Essay Topic 2
Look at the novel's characterization. How well drawn do you think Endo's characters are? Select one of the minor characters such as Ferreira and discuss how much you know about his background. In what ways does Endo provide the reader with information about that character?
Essay Topic 3
Silence is part of the historical fiction genre.
1) What are the conventions of the historical fiction genre in terms of character, language and plot?
2) In what way did Silence help to set the template for similar novels? Do modern novels still use the ideas used in Silence?
This section contains 696 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)