|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happened to Yokose-no-Ura?
2. What will happen if Rodrigues does not apostatize?
3. Where are the peasants made to dig three holes?
4. Who does Rodrigues see begging on the way to town?
5. What is the name of the samurai with whom Rodrigues is talking?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Ferreria and Rodrigues talk about in Chapter 7?
2. What does the samurai say has happened to Ferreira?
3. What happens to the elderly man in Chapter 6?
4. What are Rodrigues' feelings towards Ferreira?
5. Why did Ferreira decide to apostatize?
6. How does Rodrigues contradict his own advice during his captivity?
7. Where do the guards take Rodrigues in Chapter 5?
8. What will happen to the villagers in Chapter 7 if Rodrigues does not apostatize?
9. From what does the snoring sound come?
10. How does Rodrigues react to the sound of his jailer snoring?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Use the following statement to write a 500-word essay: While Endo looks at the persecution of Japanese Christians, the book fails to address why the Japanese government was against Christianity.
Essay Topic 2
Pick a character from the novel and discuss his goals and motives. Does he achieve his motives? Why? Does he share similar goals and motives with other characters? Do his goals clash with other characters? How does the character's goals and motives affect his interaction with other characters?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the values of 17th century Japan.
1) How different was Japanese culture from European culture in the 17th century?
2) Why did the Japanese see Christianity as a threat to their culture?
3) Does modern Japanese society share any values with 17th century Japan?
This section contains 702 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)