|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Rodrigues think he can hear snoring?
2. How does Rodrigues travel to the town?
3. What does Rodrigues now feel for his former teacher?
4. What has Rodrigues not had to endure so far?
5. Who is following Rodrigues as he is paraded through the streets?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to the elderly man in Chapter 6?
2. Why can Rodrigues and Ferreira no longer get along?
3. Where do the guards take Rodrigues in Chapter 5?
4. How does the interpreter treat Rodrigues now that he is employed by the magistrate?
5. What is Yokose-no-Ura?
6. How does Rodrigues contradict his own advice during his captivity?
7. How can Rodriguez's actions in Chapter 5 be deemed as wrong?
8. Why did Ferreira decide to apostatize?
9. Why is Rodrigues transported in a covered caravan?
10. What do Ferreria and Rodrigues talk about in Chapter 7?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why did Ferreira give up on his missionary work? How different is Ferriera's life now that he is working for the Japanese? What is Ferreira's goal now that he is captured? How is it possible for him to achieve this goal?
Essay Topic 2
Examine Endo's writing style. How would you describe Endo's prose style? What kind of vocabulary does he use? Does he use any specific writing techniques? What meaning does Endo's style give to the story?
Essay Topic 3
Silence is part of the historical fiction genre.
1) What are the conventions of the historical fiction genre in terms of character, language and plot?
2) In what way did Silence help to set the template for similar novels? Do modern novels still use the ideas used in Silence?
This section contains 700 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)