|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is outside the priests' hut in this chapter?
2. What is the Japanese word for priest?
3. From what country is Christovao Ferreira?
4. Where do the priests decide Garrpe will go in this chapter?
5. Who meets Rodrigues at the meeting point?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the rain affect the priest's mindset?
2. What does Ferreria say happens to seven Christians in Japan?
3. Describe the priests' journey to India.
4. How does Kichijiro agree to help the two priests?
5. Why is there distrust among Christian villagers?
6. Why do the officials burn Mokichi and Ichizo's bodies?
7. What do the two priests decide to do in Chapter 4?
8. How does the village cope with the raid in Chapter 4?
9. Why do the three priests want to enter Japan?
10. What happens to Mokichi and Ichizo?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Look at the structure of the novel.
1) How does Endo use character and dialogue to drive the narrative?
2) Discuss elements of the narrative structure: exposition, conflict, complication, climax, resolution and conclusion. Do all the elements make for a logical and linear story? How does the story's structure express the novel's themes?
3) Aside from the main character, Rodrigues, examine the way Endo uses the other characters in the story. When does he introduce and take them away from the story? What effect does it have on the story?
Essay Topic 2
Look at the novel's characterization. How well drawn do you think Endo's characters are? Select one of the minor characters such as Ferreira and discuss how much you know about his background. In what ways does Endo provide the reader with information about that character?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the Japanese samurai.
1) What are their main ideas and beliefs? What influence have these ideas had on Japanese culture as a whole?
2) What power did the samurai hold in 17th century Japan?
3) Which position do the samurai hold in today's Japan?
This section contains 743 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)