|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of ships are not allowed to enter Japan?
2. Who returns to the village three days later?
3. In what Indian town do the priests stay?
4. What do the officials do with the two dead bodies?
5. What month is the rainy season in Japan?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do the priests show their innocence in Chapter 1?
2. Describe Rodrigues' new life in Japan.
3. What do Ferreria and Rodrigues talk about in Chapter 7?
4. Describe the priests' journey to India.
5. Why does Rodrigues decide he has not forsaken the Lord in the final chapter?
6. What problems did the three priests have to overcome to get to India?
7. What ultimatum does the samurai give Rodrigues in Chapter 5?
8. What does Rodrigues do during his stay in Odomari?
9. In what way do Garrpe and Rodrigues' opinions differ when the two men ask them to come to their village?
10. From what does the snoring sound come?
Essay Topic 1
Silence is a famous and popular book which has greatly influenced modern literature. Choose a book written after Silence that you think was influenced by the novel and discuss its similarities in terms of
Essay Topic 2
Pick a character from the novel and discuss his goals and motives. Does he achieve his motives? Why? Does he share similar goals and motives with other characters? Do his goals clash with other characters? How does the character's goals and motives affect his interaction with other characters?
Essay Topic 3
The novel is set mostly in Japan.
1) What meaning does Japan bring to the novel? What would you automatically presume about a novel that was set in Japan?
2) How different do you think today's Japan is to the Japan in the novel? How do you think the novel's meaning would change if it were set in today's Japan?
3) How do you think the Japanese settings contribute to the novel's spiritual meaning?
This section contains 1,548 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)