|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the two men want the priest to perform in their village?
2. What is the Japanese word for the religious helpers?
3. Where does Kichijiro hide during the storm?
4. What does Rodrigues perform in Odomari?
5. How does Rodrigues feel as he returns to Tomogi?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Rodrigues do during his stay in Odomari?
2. What do the two priests decide to do in Chapter 4?
3. Why is there distrust among Christian villagers?
4. Why do the three priests want to enter Japan?
5. Describe the priests' journey to India.
6. How does the village cope with the raid in Chapter 4?
7. Why does Garrpe again interrogate Kichijiro about his religion?
8. Describe the storm at the beginning of Chapter 2.
9. What indicators are there that Kichijiro could be trouble?
10. What does the reader learn in the prologue?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Use the following statement to write a 500-word essay: While Endo looks at the persecution of Japanese Christians, the book fails to address why the Japanese government was against Christianity.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the values of 17th century Japan.
1) How different was Japanese culture from European culture in the 17th century?
2) Why did the Japanese see Christianity as a threat to their culture?
3) Does modern Japanese society share any values with 17th century Japan?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the Japanese samurai.
1) What are their main ideas and beliefs? What influence have these ideas had on Japanese culture as a whole?
2) What power did the samurai hold in 17th century Japan?
3) Which position do the samurai hold in today's Japan?
This section contains 684 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)