|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The villagers keep a detailed calendar of ______________________.
2. Who do Garrpe and Rodrigues have to wait for in this chapter?
3. To where will a hostage be sent?
4. What do the officials do with priests that don't apostatize?
5. What is the Japanese word for the religious helpers?
Short Essay Questions
1. In what way do Garrpe and Rodrigues' opinions differ when the two men ask them to come to their village?
2. Why does it seem the priests cannot enter Japan?
3. In what way is Rodrigues' faith wavering in Chapter 3?
4. How does the village cope with the raid in Chapter 4?
5. Describe the priests' journey to India.
6. What do the two priests decide when asked to go to another village?
7. Why are the priests suspicious of Kichijiro?
8. Why is there distrust among Christian villagers?
9. What information does Valignano have about Ferreira?
10. Why does Garrpe again interrogate Kichijiro about his religion?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Endo was a Catholic. Using two examples from the novel, discuss the ways the story reflects Endo's beliefs and the problems he may have faced as a part of a minority group.
Essay Topic 2
Silence is a famous and popular book which has greatly influenced modern literature. Choose a book written after Silence that you think was influenced by the novel and discuss its similarities in terms of
Essay Topic 3
Silence is described as historical fiction and therefore the reader would expect aspects of the novel to be historically accurate. What parts of the novel do you think have to be accurate? In what parts does Endo need to exaggerate the truth and why? Can such a book ever be regarded as an accurate historical account?
This section contains 705 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)