|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the two priests crush in their hut?
2. Who do the officials release?
3. Where does Kichijiro hide during the storm?
4. In what month do the priests reach India?
5. What did Ferreira's last letter detail?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Ferreria say happens to seven Christians in Japan?
2. What does Rodrigues think when Kichijiro brings him rice?
3. What does the reader learn in the prologue?
4. What does the priest contemplate as he watches the death of the old man?
5. Why is Rodrigues transported in a covered caravan?
6. Why does Rodrigues decide he has not forsaken the Lord in the final chapter?
7. What happens to the elderly man in Chapter 6?
8. What routine does Rodrigues settle into in Chapter 6?
9. What does Rodrigues do during his stay in Odomari?
10. Why do Mokichi, Ichizo and Kichijiro have to leave the village?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Look at the main religions and institutions in Japan, and using examples from the book and two other sources, discuss how Christianity could conflict with traditional Japanese beliefs.
Essay Topic 2
Pick a character from the novel and discuss his goals and motives. Does he achieve his motives? Why? Does he share similar goals and motives with other characters? Do his goals clash with other characters? How does the character's goals and motives affect his interaction with other characters?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the history of Christianity in Japan.
1) Who brought Christianity into Japan and how did the Japanese initially react to the religion?
2) Why were Christians persecuted in the 17th century?
3) What role does Christianity play in modern day Japan?
This section contains 1,504 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)