|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what Indian town do the priests stay?
2. What is the name of the village the two men are from?
3. What do the two men want the priest to perform in their village?
4. Who of the following is not chosen as a hostage?
5. From what country is Christovao Ferreira?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do the two priests decide to do in Chapter 4?
2. How does the rain affect the priest's mindset?
3. Describe the two priests' life at the village.
4. How does Kichijiro agree to help the two priests?
5. What indicators are there that Kichijiro could be trouble?
6. Why do the three priests want to enter Japan?
7. In what way is Rodrigues' faith wavering in Chapter 3?
8. What happens to Mokichi and Ichizo?
9. What does the reader learn in the prologue?
10. Why does Garrpe again interrogate Kichijiro about his religion?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Look at the structure of the novel.
1) How does Endo use character and dialogue to drive the narrative?
2) Discuss elements of the narrative structure: exposition, conflict, complication, climax, resolution and conclusion. Do all the elements make for a logical and linear story? How does the story's structure express the novel's themes?
3) Aside from the main character, Rodrigues, examine the way Endo uses the other characters in the story. When does he introduce and take them away from the story? What effect does it have on the story?
Essay Topic 2
Look at the main religions and institutions in Japan, and using examples from the book and two other sources, discuss how Christianity could conflict with traditional Japanese beliefs.
Essay Topic 3
Identify the main themes of the story. Why do you think these themes are so important to the story? How does Endo use character and setting to express these themes?
This section contains 661 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)