|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. To where will a hostage be sent?
2. For what is a person rewarded 300 pieces of silver?
3. Who reports that Ferreira was captured?
4. With what does Kichijiro help the sailors?
5. What does not impress Rodrigues about Kichijiro?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do the sailors know they have reached land?
2. How does the rain affect the priest's mindset?
3. What happens to Mokichi and Ichizo?
4. Describe the two priests' life at the village.
5. Why do the three priests want to enter Japan?
6. What does Ferreria say happens to seven Christians in Japan?
7. Describe the priests' journey to India.
8. In what way are the two priests cautious when they first arrive in Japan?
9. Why are the priests suspicious of Kichijiro?
10. Why does it seem the priests cannot enter Japan?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the Japanese samurai.
1) What are their main ideas and beliefs? What influence have these ideas had on Japanese culture as a whole?
2) What power did the samurai hold in 17th century Japan?
3) Which position do the samurai hold in today's Japan?
Essay Topic 2
Look at the structure of the novel.
1) How does Endo use character and dialogue to drive the narrative?
2) Discuss elements of the narrative structure: exposition, conflict, complication, climax, resolution and conclusion. Do all the elements make for a logical and linear story? How does the story's structure express the novel's themes?
3) Aside from the main character, Rodrigues, examine the way Endo uses the other characters in the story. When does he introduce and take them away from the story? What effect does it have on the story?
Essay Topic 3
Silence is described as historical fiction and therefore the reader would expect aspects of the novel to be historically accurate. What parts of the novel do you think have to be accurate? In what parts does Endo need to exaggerate the truth and why? Can such a book ever be regarded as an accurate historical account?
This section contains 803 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)