|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Of what is Valignano in charge?
2. Who writes the letter in Chapter 1?
3. What did Ferreira's last letter detail?
4. The villagers keep a detailed calendar of ______________________.
5. What kind of ships are not allowed to enter Japan?
Short Essay Questions
1. In what way is Rodrigues' faith wavering in Chapter 3?
2. Why does it seem the priests cannot enter Japan?
3. Why do Mokichi, Ichizo and Kichijiro have to leave the village?
4. What happened to the three men at the magistrate's office?
5. What do the two priests decide when asked to go to another village?
6. Why does Garrpe again interrogate Kichijiro about his religion?
7. In what way are the two priests cautious when they first arrive in Japan?
8. What does Rodrigues do during his stay in Odomari?
9. What information does Valignano have about Ferreira?
10. How do the villagers secretly continue with their Christian faith?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Endo was a Catholic. Using two examples from the novel, discuss the ways the story reflects Endo's beliefs and the problems he may have faced as a part of a minority group.
Essay Topic 2
The novel is set mostly in Japan.
1) What meaning does Japan bring to the novel? What would you automatically presume about a novel that was set in Japan?
2) How different do you think today's Japan is to the Japan in the novel? How do you think the novel's meaning would change if it were set in today's Japan?
3) How do you think the Japanese settings contribute to the novel's spiritual meaning?
Essay Topic 3
Silence is part of the historical fiction genre.
1) What are the conventions of the historical fiction genre in terms of character, language and plot?
2) In what way did Silence help to set the template for similar novels? Do modern novels still use the ideas used in Silence?
This section contains 770 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)