|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who writes the letter in Chapter 2?
2. Who of the following is not one of Ferreira's students?
3. Why is it difficult to find a Japanese person in Macao?
4. How do the Chinese sailors try to avoid the suspicion of larger ships?
5. Which of the priests falls ill on the journey to Macao?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to Mokichi and Ichizo?
2. How does Kichijiro prove that he is of weak character?
3. What indicators are there that Kichijiro could be trouble?
4. In what way are the two priests cautious when they first arrive in Japan?
5. What happened to the three men at the magistrate's office?
6. What do the two priests decide to do in Chapter 4?
7. What information does Valignano have about Ferreira?
8. Why does it seem the priests cannot enter Japan?
9. Describe the two priests' life at the village.
10. How does the rain affect the priest's mindset?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Look at the novel's characterization. How well drawn do you think Endo's characters are? Select one of the minor characters such as Ferreira and discuss how much you know about his background. In what ways does Endo provide the reader with information about that character?
Essay Topic 2
Endo was a Catholic. Using two examples from the novel, discuss the ways the story reflects Endo's beliefs and the problems he may have faced as a part of a minority group.
Essay Topic 3
Examine the novel's chronological setting.
1) What were the main concerns in Japan during the 17th century. How does Endo express these concerns?
2) How would the novel's meaning change if it were set in today's society?
This section contains 729 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)