|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who returns to the village three days later?
2. Who refuses to allow the priests to enter Japan?
3. What is Santa Marta unable to assist his friends in doing?
4. Who do the three priests have to ask for permission to travel to Japan?
5. For what is a person rewarded 200 hundred pieces of silver?
Short Essay Questions
1. What routine does Rodrigues settle into in Chapter 6?
2. What do Rodrigues and Inoue discuss in Chapter 7?
3. What happens to Mokichi and Ichizo?
4. What does Rodrigues think when Kichijiro brings him rice?
5. Why does it seem the priests cannot enter Japan?
6. Why does Garrpe again interrogate Kichijiro about his religion?
7. How do the villagers secretly continue with their Christian faith?
8. Why do the officials burn Mokichi and Ichizo's bodies?
9. Why do Mokichi, Ichizo and Kichijiro have to leave the village?
10. Describe Rodrigues' meeting with the five samurai.
Essay Topic 1
Look at the novel's characterization. How well drawn do you think Endo's characters are? Select one of the minor characters such as Ferreira and discuss how much you know about his background. In what ways does Endo provide the reader with information about that character?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the Japanese samurai.
1) What are their main ideas and beliefs? What influence have these ideas had on Japanese culture as a whole?
2) What power did the samurai hold in 17th century Japan?
3) Which position do the samurai hold in today's Japan?
Essay Topic 3
Examine Endo's writing style. How would you describe Endo's prose style? What kind of vocabulary does he use? Does he use any specific writing techniques? What meaning does Endo's style give to the story?
This section contains 1,542 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)