|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who writes the letter in Chapter 1?
2. What does Kichijiro do when the Chinese are not watching?
3. What is the name of the priests' Portuguese missionary?
4. What do the villagers hide from the officials?
5. Who refuses to allow the priests to enter Japan?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do the officials burn Mokichi and Ichizo's bodies?
2. What do the two priests decide when asked to go to another village?
3. How does the rain affect the priest's mindset?
4. How do the villagers secretly continue with their Christian faith?
5. What does Rodrigues do during his stay in Odomari?
6. How does Kichijiro prove that he is of weak character?
7. What happened to the three men at the magistrate's office?
8. Why does Garrpe again interrogate Kichijiro about his religion?
9. What happens to Mokichi and Ichizo?
10. What do the two priests decide to do in Chapter 4?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the novel's chronological setting.
1) What were the main concerns in Japan during the 17th century. How does Endo express these concerns?
2) How would the novel's meaning change if it were set in today's society?
Essay Topic 2
Examine Endo's writing style. How would you describe Endo's prose style? What kind of vocabulary does he use? Does he use any specific writing techniques? What meaning does Endo's style give to the story?
Essay Topic 3
The novel is set mostly in Japan.
1) What meaning does Japan bring to the novel? What would you automatically presume about a novel that was set in Japan?
2) How different do you think today's Japan is to the Japan in the novel? How do you think the novel's meaning would change if it were set in today's Japan?
3) How do you think the Japanese settings contribute to the novel's spiritual meaning?
This section contains 699 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)