|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who refuses to allow the priests to enter Japan?
2. Who writes the letter in Chapter 1?
3. What is the name of the Japanese man the priests find?
4. Of what is Valignano in charge?
5. To where will a hostage be sent?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Rodrigues do during his stay in Odomari?
2. What does Ferreria say happens to seven Christians in Japan?
3. Why is there distrust among Christian villagers?
4. What does the reader learn in the prologue?
5. Why are the priests suspicious of Kichijiro?
6. How do the priests show their innocence in Chapter 1?
7. In what way is Rodrigues' faith wavering in Chapter 3?
8. What happens to Mokichi and Ichizo?
9. Describe the two priests' life at the village.
10. Describe the priests' journey to India.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The novel is set mostly in Japan.
1) What meaning does Japan bring to the novel? What would you automatically presume about a novel that was set in Japan?
2) How different do you think today's Japan is to the Japan in the novel? How do you think the novel's meaning would change if it were set in today's Japan?
3) How do you think the Japanese settings contribute to the novel's spiritual meaning?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Endo's life. In what way do you think his life and personality are reflected in the book?
Essay Topic 3
Look at the novel's characterization. How well drawn do you think Endo's characters are? Select one of the minor characters such as Ferreira and discuss how much you know about his background. In what ways does Endo provide the reader with information about that character?
This section contains 725 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)