|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do the officials tie Ichizo and Mokichi?
2. For what is a person rewarded 100 pieces of silver?
3. What does Kichijiro do when the Chinese are not watching?
4. With what does Kichijiro help the sailors?
5. What does not impress Rodrigues about Kichijiro?
Short Essay Questions
1. In what way is Rodrigues' faith wavering in Chapter 3?
2. What does Ferreria say happens to seven Christians in Japan?
3. What does Rodrigues do during his stay in Odomari?
4. Why is there distrust among Christian villagers?
5. What indicators are there that Kichijiro could be trouble?
6. What happened to the three men at the magistrate's office?
7. In what way are the two priests cautious when they first arrive in Japan?
8. What do the two priests decide when asked to go to another village?
9. In what way do Garrpe and Rodrigues' opinions differ when the two men ask them to come to their village?
10. How do the priests show their innocence in Chapter 1?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Pick a character from the novel and discuss his goals and motives. Does he achieve his motives? Why? Does he share similar goals and motives with other characters? Do his goals clash with other characters? How does the character's goals and motives affect his interaction with other characters?
Essay Topic 2
Look at the structure of the novel.
1) How does Endo use character and dialogue to drive the narrative?
2) Discuss elements of the narrative structure: exposition, conflict, complication, climax, resolution and conclusion. Do all the elements make for a logical and linear story? How does the story's structure express the novel's themes?
3) Aside from the main character, Rodrigues, examine the way Endo uses the other characters in the story. When does he introduce and take them away from the story? What effect does it have on the story?
Essay Topic 3
Use the following statement to write a 500-word essay: While Endo looks at the persecution of Japanese Christians, the book fails to address why the Japanese government was against Christianity.
This section contains 794 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)