|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who of the following is not one of Ferreira's students?
2. How does the storm damage the boat?
3. Who writes the letter in Chapter 2?
4. Who meets Rodrigues at the meeting point?
5. Where is the charcoal hut?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do the two priests decide to do in Chapter 4?
2. What information does Valignano have about Ferreira?
3. What problems did the three priests have to overcome to get to India?
4. Why is there distrust among Christian villagers?
5. Why does Garrpe again interrogate Kichijiro about his religion?
6. Why does it seem the priests cannot enter Japan?
7. Why do Mokichi, Ichizo and Kichijiro have to leave the village?
8. How do the villagers secretly continue with their Christian faith?
9. How does the rain affect the priest's mindset?
10. What does Rodrigues do during his stay in Odomari?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Silence is a famous and popular book which has greatly influenced modern literature. Choose a book written after Silence that you think was influenced by the novel and discuss its similarities in terms of
Essay Topic 2
Silence is part of the historical fiction genre.
1) What are the conventions of the historical fiction genre in terms of character, language and plot?
2) In what way did Silence help to set the template for similar novels? Do modern novels still use the ideas used in Silence?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the novel's dialogue. How does Endo's dialogue contribute to the following areas:
This section contains 703 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)