|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do the authorities confine the Christian women?
2. From what city do the priests depart to India?
3. From what country is Christovao Ferreira?
4. What is the name of the village the two men are from?
5. The villagers keep a detailed calendar of ______________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the priests' journey to India.
2. What does Ferreria say happens to seven Christians in Japan?
3. Why is there distrust among Christian villagers?
4. What problems did the three priests have to overcome to get to India?
5. What do the two priests decide to do in Chapter 4?
6. Why are the priests suspicious of Kichijiro?
7. Describe the two priests' life at the village.
8. Why do Mokichi, Ichizo and Kichijiro have to leave the village?
9. How does Kichijiro agree to help the two priests?
10. Why do the officials burn Mokichi and Ichizo's bodies?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Look at the novel's characterization. How well drawn do you think Endo's characters are? Select one of the minor characters such as Ferreira and discuss how much you know about his background. In what ways does Endo provide the reader with information about that character?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the novel's dialogue. How does Endo's dialogue contribute to the following areas:
Essay Topic 3
Compare the characters of Ferreira and Rodrigues.
1) In what ways do their morals and beliefs differ?
2) Do you agree they are one of the same person as Endo states at the end of the novel?
3) How can they help each other as they struggle to cope with life in Japan?
This section contains 721 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)