|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who of the following is not chosen as a hostage?
2. Where is the charcoal hut?
3. For what is a person rewarded 300 pieces of silver?
4. For what is a person rewarded 100 pieces of silver?
5. What does Kichijiro agree to find for the priests in Japan?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do the two priests decide to do in Chapter 4?
2. In what way are the two priests cautious when they first arrive in Japan?
3. Describe the storm at the beginning of Chapter 2.
4. How does Kichijiro agree to help the two priests?
5. What happened to the three men at the magistrate's office?
6. How do the villagers secretly continue with their Christian faith?
7. What information does Valignano have about Ferreira?
8. How does the village cope with the raid in Chapter 4?
9. What does the reader learn in the prologue?
10. Why are the priests suspicious of Kichijiro?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Endo's life. In what way do you think his life and personality are reflected in the book?
Essay Topic 2
Silence is part of the historical fiction genre.
1) What are the conventions of the historical fiction genre in terms of character, language and plot?
2) In what way did Silence help to set the template for similar novels? Do modern novels still use the ideas used in Silence?
Essay Topic 3
Why did Ferreira give up on his missionary work? How different is Ferriera's life now that he is working for the Japanese? What is Ferreira's goal now that he is captured? How is it possible for him to achieve this goal?
This section contains 731 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)