|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the Japanese man the priests find?
2. What do the villagers hide from the officials?
3. To where will a hostage be sent?
4. Of what is Valignano in charge?
5. Which of the priests is unable to travel to Japan?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the priests' journey to India.
2. What information does Valignano have about Ferreira?
3. What does Ferreria say happens to seven Christians in Japan?
4. How do the sailors know they have reached land?
5. What indicators are there that Kichijiro could be trouble?
6. What does the reader learn in the prologue?
7. What happened to the three men at the magistrate's office?
8. Why do the officials burn Mokichi and Ichizo's bodies?
9. How does the village cope with the raid in Chapter 4?
10. Why are the priests suspicious of Kichijiro?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the novel's chronological setting.
1) What were the main concerns in Japan during the 17th century. How does Endo express these concerns?
2) How would the novel's meaning change if it were set in today's society?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the novel's dialogue. How does Endo's dialogue contribute to the following areas:
Essay Topic 3
Pick a character from the novel and discuss his goals and motives. Does he achieve his motives? Why? Does he share similar goals and motives with other characters? Do his goals clash with other characters? How does the character's goals and motives affect his interaction with other characters?
This section contains 692 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)