|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the Japanese man the priests find?
2. Where do the priests decide Garrpe will go in this chapter?
3. Where does Kichijiro hide during the storm?
4. For what is a person rewarded 200 hundred pieces of silver?
5. To where will a hostage be sent?
Short Essay Questions
1. In what way do Garrpe and Rodrigues' opinions differ when the two men ask them to come to their village?
2. How do the priests show their innocence in Chapter 1?
3. Why do the officials burn Mokichi and Ichizo's bodies?
4. What does the reader learn in the prologue?
5. Why does it seem the priests cannot enter Japan?
6. Describe the two priests' life at the village.
7. What information does Valignano have about Ferreira?
8. Why is there distrust among Christian villagers?
9. Describe the priests' journey to India.
10. How does the rain affect the priest's mindset?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Look at the main religions and institutions in Japan, and using examples from the book and two other sources, discuss how Christianity could conflict with traditional Japanese beliefs.
Essay Topic 2
Look at the structure of the novel.
1) How does Endo use character and dialogue to drive the narrative?
2) Discuss elements of the narrative structure: exposition, conflict, complication, climax, resolution and conclusion. Do all the elements make for a logical and linear story? How does the story's structure express the novel's themes?
3) Aside from the main character, Rodrigues, examine the way Endo uses the other characters in the story. When does he introduce and take them away from the story? What effect does it have on the story?
Essay Topic 3
Examine Endo's writing style. How would you describe Endo's prose style? What kind of vocabulary does he use? Does he use any specific writing techniques? What meaning does Endo's style give to the story?
This section contains 713 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)