|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is ladled over the people tied to the stake?
2. Who returns to the village three days later?
3. Who of the following is one of Ferreira's students?
4. Kichijiro's murmurings prompt Garrpe to interrogate him on ___________________.
5. Where was Jesus betrayed?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do the three priests want to enter Japan?
2. How does the rain affect the priest's mindset?
3. What do the two priests decide to do in Chapter 4?
4. What do the two priests decide when asked to go to another village?
5. Why are the priests suspicious of Kichijiro?
6. In what way do Garrpe and Rodrigues' opinions differ when the two men ask them to come to their village?
7. Why do Mokichi, Ichizo and Kichijiro have to leave the village?
8. Why do the officials burn Mokichi and Ichizo's bodies?
9. Describe the priests' journey to India.
10. How do the sailors know they have reached land?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the novel's chronological setting.
1) What were the main concerns in Japan during the 17th century. How does Endo express these concerns?
2) How would the novel's meaning change if it were set in today's society?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the Japanese samurai.
1) What are their main ideas and beliefs? What influence have these ideas had on Japanese culture as a whole?
2) What power did the samurai hold in 17th century Japan?
3) Which position do the samurai hold in today's Japan?
Essay Topic 3
Examine Endo's writing style. How would you describe Endo's prose style? What kind of vocabulary does he use? Does he use any specific writing techniques? What meaning does Endo's style give to the story?
This section contains 691 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)