|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who advised the men to trample on the picture?
2. Which of the following phrases does Kichijiro moan?
3. How does the storm damage the boat?
4. Who is outside the priests' hut in this chapter?
5. What feeling does the incident raise among the villagers?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is there distrust among Christian villagers?
2. Why does Garrpe again interrogate Kichijiro about his religion?
3. In what way is Rodrigues' faith wavering in Chapter 3?
4. Why are the priests suspicious of Kichijiro?
5. How do the priests show their innocence in Chapter 1?
6. Why does it seem the priests cannot enter Japan?
7. What do the two priests decide to do in Chapter 4?
8. What does Ferreria say happens to seven Christians in Japan?
9. Why do Mokichi, Ichizo and Kichijiro have to leave the village?
10. What does the reader learn in the prologue?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Silence is part of the historical fiction genre.
1) What are the conventions of the historical fiction genre in terms of character, language and plot?
2) In what way did Silence help to set the template for similar novels? Do modern novels still use the ideas used in Silence?
Essay Topic 2
Examine Endo's writing style. How would you describe Endo's prose style? What kind of vocabulary does he use? Does he use any specific writing techniques? What meaning does Endo's style give to the story?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the values of 17th century Japan.
1) How different was Japanese culture from European culture in the 17th century?
2) Why did the Japanese see Christianity as a threat to their culture?
3) Does modern Japanese society share any values with 17th century Japan?
This section contains 714 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)