|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the Japanese word for the religious helpers?
2. What does not impress Rodrigues about Kichijiro?
3. What do the two priests crush in their hut?
4. Which of the priests falls ill on the journey to Macao?
5. What does Kichijiro agree to find for the priests in Japan?
Short Essay Questions
1. What information does Valignano have about Ferreira?
2. Why do Mokichi, Ichizo and Kichijiro have to leave the village?
3. How do the sailors know they have reached land?
4. How does Kichijiro prove that he is of weak character?
5. What do the two priests decide to do in Chapter 4?
6. In what way are the two priests cautious when they first arrive in Japan?
7. How does the village cope with the raid in Chapter 4?
8. What problems did the three priests have to overcome to get to India?
9. Why does it seem the priests cannot enter Japan?
10. In what way is Rodrigues' faith wavering in Chapter 3?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the history of Christianity in Japan.
1) Who brought Christianity into Japan and how did the Japanese initially react to the religion?
2) Why were Christians persecuted in the 17th century?
3) What role does Christianity play in modern day Japan?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the values of 17th century Japan.
1) How different was Japanese culture from European culture in the 17th century?
2) Why did the Japanese see Christianity as a threat to their culture?
3) Does modern Japanese society share any values with 17th century Japan?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the novel's chronological setting.
1) What were the main concerns in Japan during the 17th century. How does Endo express these concerns?
2) How would the novel's meaning change if it were set in today's society?
This section contains 722 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)