|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What will happen if the peasants do not admit to their Christian faith?
2. About what does Garrpe question Kichijiro?
3. From what city do the priests depart to India?
4. What is Santa Marta unable to assist his friends in doing?
5. What does Kichijiro agree to find for the priests in Japan?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happened to the three men at the magistrate's office?
2. How do the villagers secretly continue with their Christian faith?
3. What problems did the three priests have to overcome to get to India?
4. Describe the priests' journey to India.
5. What do the two priests decide when asked to go to another village?
6. What happens to Mokichi and Ichizo?
7. Why are the priests suspicious of Kichijiro?
8. Why does Garrpe again interrogate Kichijiro about his religion?
9. How do the priests show their innocence in Chapter 1?
10. What does Ferreria say happens to seven Christians in Japan?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Silence is part of the historical fiction genre.
1) What are the conventions of the historical fiction genre in terms of character, language and plot?
2) In what way did Silence help to set the template for similar novels? Do modern novels still use the ideas used in Silence?
Essay Topic 2
Endo was a Catholic. Using two examples from the novel, discuss the ways the story reflects Endo's beliefs and the problems he may have faced as a part of a minority group.
Essay Topic 3
Look at the main religions and institutions in Japan, and using examples from the book and two other sources, discuss how Christianity could conflict with traditional Japanese beliefs.
This section contains 828 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)