|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is it difficult to find a Japanese person in Macao?
2. From what country is Christovao Ferreira?
3. What is the name of the Japanese man the priests find?
4. What does Mokichi do when he has strength?
5. The villagers keep a detailed calendar of ______________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. What do the two priests decide to do in Chapter 4?
2. Why does Rodrigues decide he has not forsaken the Lord in the final chapter?
3. What does Rodrigues do during his stay in Odomari?
4. What do the two priests decide when asked to go to another village?
5. Why does Garrpe again interrogate Kichijiro about his religion?
6. How do the priests show their innocence in Chapter 1?
7. What does the samurai say has happened to Ferreira?
8. How does the village cope with the raid in Chapter 4?
9. What do Rodrigues and Inoue discuss in Chapter 7?
10. What is Yokose-no-Ura?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare the characters of Ferreira and Rodrigues.
1) In what ways do their morals and beliefs differ?
2) Do you agree they are one of the same person as Endo states at the end of the novel?
3) How can they help each other as they struggle to cope with life in Japan?
Essay Topic 2
Identify the main themes of the story. Why do you think these themes are so important to the story? How does Endo use character and setting to express these themes?
Essay Topic 3
The novel is set mostly in Japan.
1) What meaning does Japan bring to the novel? What would you automatically presume about a novel that was set in Japan?
2) How different do you think today's Japan is to the Japan in the novel? How do you think the novel's meaning would change if it were set in today's Japan?
3) How do you think the Japanese settings contribute to the novel's spiritual meaning?
This section contains 1,454 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)