Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is outside the priests' hut in this chapter?
2. Where do the priests decide Rodrigues will go in this chapter?
3. For what is a person rewarded 100 pieces of silver?
4. Why is it difficult to find a Japanese person in Macao?
5. What is the nationality of the boat crew?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Rodrigues react to the sound of his jailer snoring?
2. Why is Rodrigues transported in a covered caravan?
3. Why is there distrust among Christian villagers?
4. How do the priests show their innocence in Chapter 1?
5. Summarize the story of Silence.
6. What does Janassen note in his journals?
7. How does Kichijiro agree to help the two priests?
8. Describe the storm at the beginning of Chapter 2.
9. What ultimatum does the samurai give Rodrigues in Chapter 5?
10. From what does the snoring sound come?
Essay Topic 1
Endo was a Catholic. Using two examples from the novel, discuss the ways the story reflects Endo's beliefs and the problems he may have faced as a part of a minority group.
Essay Topic 2
Silence is a famous and popular book which has greatly influenced modern literature. Choose a book written after Silence that you think was influenced by the novel and discuss its similarities in terms of
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Endo's life. In what way do you think his life and personality are reflected in the book?
This section contains 648 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)