|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the storm damage the boat?
2. With whom does Kichijiro live?
3. Who do the officials release?
4. Who ensures the safety of the villagers?
5. What do the tossama do?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Rodrigues do during his stay in Odomari?
2. How does Kichijiro agree to help the two priests?
3. What happened to the three men at the magistrate's office?
4. Why does Garrpe again interrogate Kichijiro about his religion?
5. Why are the priests suspicious of Kichijiro?
6. What problems did the three priests have to overcome to get to India?
7. What information does Valignano have about Ferreira?
8. Why do the officials burn Mokichi and Ichizo's bodies?
9. Describe the priests' journey to India.
10. Why does it seem the priests cannot enter Japan?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Look at the novel's characterization. How well drawn do you think Endo's characters are? Select one of the minor characters such as Ferreira and discuss how much you know about his background. In what ways does Endo provide the reader with information about that character?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the history of Christianity in Japan.
1) Who brought Christianity into Japan and how did the Japanese initially react to the religion?
2) Why were Christians persecuted in the 17th century?
3) What role does Christianity play in modern day Japan?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the novel's chronological setting.
1) What were the main concerns in Japan during the 17th century. How does Endo express these concerns?
2) How would the novel's meaning change if it were set in today's society?
This section contains 645 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)