|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who advised the men to trample on the picture?
2. To where will a hostage be sent?
3. Who reports that Ferreira was captured?
4. Who told the two villagers of the two priests' arrival?
5. Where is the charcoal hut?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happened to the three men at the magistrate's office?
2. How do the villagers secretly continue with their Christian faith?
3. In what way are the two priests cautious when they first arrive in Japan?
4. Why do the officials burn Mokichi and Ichizo's bodies?
5. Describe the two priests' life at the village.
6. What happens to Mokichi and Ichizo?
7. How does Kichijiro agree to help the two priests?
8. Describe the storm at the beginning of Chapter 2.
9. Describe the priests' journey to India.
10. How does the rain affect the priest's mindset?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the novel's dialogue. How does Endo's dialogue contribute to the following areas:
Essay Topic 2
Examine the history of Christianity in Japan.
1) Who brought Christianity into Japan and how did the Japanese initially react to the religion?
2) Why were Christians persecuted in the 17th century?
3) What role does Christianity play in modern day Japan?
Essay Topic 3
Look at the novel's characterization. How well drawn do you think Endo's characters are? Select one of the minor characters such as Ferreira and discuss how much you know about his background. In what ways does Endo provide the reader with information about that character?
This section contains 712 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)