|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What feeling does the incident raise among the villagers?
2. Where is the charcoal hut?
3. What does Rodrigues conclude about Kichijiro?
4. With what does Kichijiro help the sailors?
5. Which of the priests falls ill on the journey to Macao?
Short Essay Questions
1. In what way are the two priests cautious when they first arrive in Japan?
2. How does Kichijiro agree to help the two priests?
3. What happened to the three men at the magistrate's office?
4. What information does Valignano have about Ferreira?
5. What does the reader learn in the prologue?
6. What indicators are there that Kichijiro could be trouble?
7. What does Ferreria say happens to seven Christians in Japan?
8. Why does it seem the priests cannot enter Japan?
9. How does the rain affect the priest's mindset?
10. Why do the three priests want to enter Japan?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Look at the main religions and institutions in Japan, and using examples from the book and two other sources, discuss how Christianity could conflict with traditional Japanese beliefs.
Essay Topic 2
Why did Ferreira give up on his missionary work? How different is Ferriera's life now that he is working for the Japanese? What is Ferreira's goal now that he is captured? How is it possible for him to achieve this goal?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the Japanese samurai.
1) What are their main ideas and beliefs? What influence have these ideas had on Japanese culture as a whole?
2) What power did the samurai hold in 17th century Japan?
3) Which position do the samurai hold in today's Japan?
This section contains 681 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)