|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Kichijiro agree to find for the priests in Japan?
2. Who advised the men to trample on the picture?
3. Who of the following is one of Ferreira's students?
4. Who tells the priests what happened in the village?
5. Why do the officials throw the dead bodies into the sea?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do the two priests decide when asked to go to another village?
2. What does Rodrigues do during his stay in Odomari?
3. Describe a fumie exercise.
4. How do the priests show their innocence in Chapter 1?
5. From what does the snoring sound come?
6. Describe the two priests' life at the village.
7. Why did Ferreira decide to apostatize?
8. How does the village cope with the raid in Chapter 4?
9. Describe the reappearance of Kichijiro in Chapter 6.
10. Why does Garrpe again interrogate Kichijiro about his religion?
Essay Topic 1
Examine the history of Christianity in Japan.
1) Who brought Christianity into Japan and how did the Japanese initially react to the religion?
2) Why were Christians persecuted in the 17th century?
3) What role does Christianity play in modern day Japan?
Essay Topic 2
Pick a character from the novel and discuss his goals and motives. Does he achieve his motives? Why? Does he share similar goals and motives with other characters? Do his goals clash with other characters? How does the character's goals and motives affect his interaction with other characters?
Essay Topic 3
Silence is part of the historical fiction genre.
1) What are the conventions of the historical fiction genre in terms of character, language and plot?
2) In what way did Silence help to set the template for similar novels? Do modern novels still use the ideas used in Silence?
This section contains 1,494 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)