|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does not impress Rodrigues about Kichijiro?
2. From what city do the priests depart to India?
3. To whom do the hostages have to present themselves?
4. What kind of ships are not allowed to enter Japan?
5. How does Rodrigues feel as he returns to Tomogi?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do the two priests decide when asked to go to another village?
2. What problems did the three priests have to overcome to get to India?
3. How does Kichijiro prove that he is of weak character?
4. How do the villagers secretly continue with their Christian faith?
5. In what way do Garrpe and Rodrigues' opinions differ when the two men ask them to come to their village?
6. What happens to Mokichi and Ichizo?
7. Why does Garrpe again interrogate Kichijiro about his religion?
8. Why is there distrust among Christian villagers?
9. What do the two priests decide to do in Chapter 4?
10. How does the village cope with the raid in Chapter 4?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the novel's dialogue. How does Endo's dialogue contribute to the following areas:
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the values of 17th century Japan.
1) How different was Japanese culture from European culture in the 17th century?
2) Why did the Japanese see Christianity as a threat to their culture?
3) Does modern Japanese society share any values with 17th century Japan?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the Japanese samurai.
1) What are their main ideas and beliefs? What influence have these ideas had on Japanese culture as a whole?
2) What power did the samurai hold in 17th century Japan?
3) Which position do the samurai hold in today's Japan?
This section contains 740 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)