|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What have officials made it difficult to do?
(a) To build new huts
(b) To have more than one child
(c) To swim in the sea
(d) For Christians to gather
2. Who refuses to allow the priests to enter Japan?
(c) The pope
(d) Lionel Messi
3. Who told the two villagers of the two priests' arrival?
4. Who do the three priests have to ask for permission to travel to Japan?
(a) The Japanese government
(b) Their parents
(c) The Roman church
(d) The portuguese government
5. Who writes the letter in Chapter 1?
(d) Santa Marta
6. To whom do the hostages have to present themselves?
(a) The queen
(b) The magistrate
(c) The king
(d) The head samurai
7. What do the villagers hide from the officials?
(a) Their children
(b) Their clothes
(c) Their religious possessions
(d) Their money
8. What does Kichijiro do when the Chinese are not watching?
(c) Stops working
(d) Poisons the food
9. What does Kichijiro do when the Chinese sailors beat him?
(a) Cries out for pardon
(b) Pulls out a knife
(c) Runs away
(d) Kicks them
10. What does Kichijiro agree to find for the priests in Japan?
(a) A buddhist village
(c) A samurai
(d) A Christian village
11. What does Mokichi do when he has strength?
12. The villagers keep a detailed calendar of ______________________.
(a) Portuguese holidays
(b) Buddhist feasts
(c) Royal birthdays
(d) Christian feasts
13. What is the name of the Japanese man the priests find?
14. Why do the officials throw the dead bodies into the sea?
(a) To feed the fish
(b) To frighten the villagers
(c) To stop the smell of death
(d) To prevent a Christian burial
15. The guards demand that the peasants admit to _____________________.
(a) That they don't pay taxes
(b) They are hiding priests
(c) That they are rich
(d) Their Christian faith
Short Answer Questions
1. Of what is Valignano in charge?
2. Which of the following nationalities are not hostile towards Portuguese ships?
3. What happens after eight days at sea?
4. What is the nationality of the boat crew?
5. What is the name of the priests' Portuguese missionary?
This section contains 373 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)