|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the name of the village the two men are from?
2. What is the Japanese word for the religious helpers?
3. In what kind of hut do the peasants hide the priests?
(a) A charcoal hut
(b) A chalk hut
(c) An ice hut
(d) A mud hut
4. How do the Chinese sailors try to avoid the suspicion of larger ships?
(a) They make themselves seen.
(b) They hand out their food.
(c) They relinquish their weapons.
(d) They put up a small sail.
5. From what country is Christovao Ferreira?
6. Who returns to the village three days later?
(a) An elderly samurai
(b) A translator
(c) A prince
(d) A village elder
7. What do the tossama do?
(a) Punish atheists
(b) Reason with officials
(c) Teach and lead prayers
(d) Hear confession
8. For what is a person rewarded 300 pieces of silver?
(a) Informing about hidden brothers
(b) Informing about spies
(c) Informing about hidden priests
(d) Finding Christian artifacts
9. In what part of Japan are the boiling waters mentioned in the letter?
10. Where do the priests decide Rodrigues will go in this chapter?
11. Where was Ferreira tortured?
12. Kichijiro's murmurings prompt Garrpe to interrogate him on ___________________.
(a) His faith
(b) His family history
(c) His nationality
(d) His loyalty
13. Where do Garrpe and Rodrigues hide?
(a) Behind luggage
(b) In the captain's cabin
(c) In the rescue boats
(d) Behind beer barrels
14. What does Kichijiro do when the Chinese sailors beat him?
(a) Cries out for pardon
(b) Kicks them
(c) Pulls out a knife
(d) Runs away
15. What will happen if the peasants do not admit to their Christian faith?
(a) They will be starved.
(b) Ten villagers will be hanged.
(c) The village will be burned down.
(d) A hostage will be taken.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did the men have to do to the picture after they trampled on it?
2. Which of the priests falls ill on the journey to Macao?
3. What kind of ships are not allowed to enter Japan?
4. Who reports that Ferreira was captured?
5. Who refuses to allow the priests to enter Japan?
This section contains 374 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)