|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 48, why does Clarice tell Jack Crawford that she should continue with the investigation?
(a) Because Dr. Lecter insists.
(b) Because Clarice doesn't want to go back to school.
(c) Because she wants to.
(d) Because there is no female representation in the investigation.
2. In Chapter 42, who calls Jack Crawford with information about an urgent bulletin?
(a) Paul Krendler.
(c) Jerry Burroughs.
(d) Dr. Chilton
3. In Chapter 41, how does Catherine Martin try to get Jame Gumb to let her out of the pit?
(a) By saying she will be his girlfriend.
(b) By making a sexual proposition while she is naked.
(c) By offering to marry him.
(d) By threatening him with her mother's powerful connections.
4. In what contest did Jame Gumb's mother participate?
(a) 1967 Mrs. World.
(b) 1948 Miss Sacramento.
(c) 1988 Pie Eating.
(d) 1962 Miss Universe.
5. From what materials does Dr. Lecter make a handcuff key?
(a) His spoon.
(b) None. He steals the key from one of the guards as he leans over.
(c) Discarded staples and a wooden spool.
(d) A paperclip and the ink tube from a pen.
Short Answer Questions
1. What type of machine does Catherine Martin hear while she is in the pit?
2. What does John Brigham hope to do for Clarice once she returns to Quantico?
3. What does Dr. Lecter say in his note to Dr. Chilton?
4. What does the FBI order Jack Crawford to do in Chapter 39?
5. Describe Pembry's condition when Sergeant Tate's men reach the fifth floor.
Short Essay Questions
1. Do you think that Jame Gumb would be judged criminally insane or just plain evil?
2. What would the reasons be for Chilton and Krendler to try and blame Dr. Lecter's escape on Clarice?
3. How does Catherine Martin throw the proverbial wrench into Jame Gumb's harvest rituals?
4. What is Catherine's plan, and describe her attempts to get Jame Gumb to release her?
5. Do the Memphis guards underestimate Dr. Lecter? How do you know?
6. Do you think that Paul Krendler helps or hinders the investigation by giving in to Senator Martin's wishes?
7. How does Dr. Lecter manipulate the conversation with Senator Martin, as well as anyone else needing his assistance?
8. What happens after Clarice realizes that Jame Gumb is Buffalo Bill, and he realizes she knows?
9. How does Dr. Lecter avoid suspicion after his escape?
10. Does Clarice gain insight into the person Frederica Bimmel was by exploring her room? What conclusions about Frederica does Clarice draw from the brief time she spends at the Bimmel house?
This section contains 1,189 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)