|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Describe Pembry's condition when Sergeant Tate's men reach the fifth floor.
(a) His head has been shoved between the bars of the cage, and his face has been chewed off.
(b) He is dead, and his hands have been removed.
(c) He has been decapitated.
(d) His face is grotesquely disfigured, but he is still alive.
2. Where does Clarice meet Noble Pilcher in Chapter 40?
(a) At a romantic restaurant in the heart of Memphis.
(b) At a crime scene to get his professional entomological opinion.
(c) At an amusement park for a much needed getaway.
(d) At the Insect Zoo in the Smithsonian.
3. What is surprising about Frederica Bimmel's clothes in Chapter 52?
(a) They are designer.
(b) They are skimpy.
(c) They are handmade.
(d) They are old and worn out.
4. Dr. Lecter leaves a cipher which spells out the biochemical formula C33 H36 N4 O6. What is this the chemical formula for?
(b) Stomach acid.
5. What happened to Buffalo Bill's victims who were kept in the back rooms of his basement?
(a) They were left suspended from the ceiling until they died.
(b) Many were walled up in rooms while they were still alive.
(c) They were chained to the wall and allowed to slowly starve to death.
(d) They were brutally tortured and electrocuted.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens while Clarice is looking for Jame Gumb in the basement?
2. Jack Crawford explains the key to being a good leader to Clarice. What does he say the key is?
3. What is different about the way Frederica's body was discarded compared to Buffalo Bill's other victims?
4. In Chapter 48, why does Clarice tell Jack Crawford that she should continue with the investigation?
5. What does Jame Gumb use to tan his hides?
Short Essay Questions
1. What price did Clarice pay to stay on the Buffalo Bill investigation, and do you think she feels the price was too high?
2. How does Dr. Lecter avoid suspicion after his escape?
3. What happens/happened in Jame Gumb's basement, and what aspects of the basement add to the terror of his victims?
4. Do you think that Jame Gumb would be judged criminally insane or just plain evil?
5. Do you think that Paul Krendler helps or hinders the investigation by giving in to Senator Martin's wishes?
6. What advice does Crawford give Clarice about being a good leader?
7. How does Dr. Lecter escape?
8. Do you think that Clarice overstepped her bounds by visiting Dr. Lecter without going through the proper channels?
9. Do you think that Dr. Lecter left the cipher in the toilet for Senator Martin or for Clarice?
10. Once Clarice finds out about Jame Gumb and the FBI team on its way to Illinois to apprehend the killer, how and why does she continue her investigation?
This section contains 1,136 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)