|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is "Blue Canoe?"
(a) Jack Crawford's favorite cologne.
(b) The FBI's private boat.
(c) The FBI's private plane.
(d) An affectionate nickname for Clarice's roommate.
2. How does Miggs die?
(a) He tries to escape and is shot by a guard.
(b) He swallows his own tongue.
(c) He is attacked and stabbed by a fellow inmate.
(d) He hangs himself with his bed sheet in his cell.
3. Who keeps Clarice from getting more information from Dr. Lecter?
(a) Dr. Chilton.
(b) Dr. Chilton's secretary.
4. In Chapter 6, Clarice receives permission to explore what?
(a) Buffalo Bill's back yard.
(b) The house where the latest murder took place.
(c) Dr. Lecter's case notes.
(d) Benjamin Raspail's car.
5. What is Buffalo Bill's routine with his victims?
(a) He shoots them and dumps them in a ravine.
(b) He abducts them, calls the family for ransom, collects the money, and then kills them.
(c) He puts them in a hole and buries them up to their neck.
(d) He abducts them, keeps them for a week, skins them alive, and dumps them in a river.
Short Answer Questions
1. In psychoanalytic terms, what is an imago?
2. What does Clarice find inside the Packard?
3. What is used by the people in the morgue to mask the smell of decay?
4. Dr. Lecter gave Clarice Klaus's cause of death. What did he say it was?
5. What is Dr. Lecter's nickname?
Short Essay Questions
1. In response to their agreement in Chapter 25, what details does Dr. Lecter reveal about Buffalo Bill?
2. What does Dr. Chilton do to thwart the FBI and insert himself into the Catherine Martin investigation?
3. In Chapter 1, who is the serial killer the FBI wants to interview, and what does he offer to Clarice?
4. What happens to frustrate Clarice after she learns of Catherine Martin's abduction by Buffalo Bill?
5. How does Senator Martin try to affect Buffalo Bill psychologically?
6. Why does Dr. Lecter refer to Clarice as a "cheap redneck, one generation out of the mines"? What might he hope to accomplish by insulting her?
7. What creature does Clarice compare Dr. Chilton to and why?
8. In Chapter 18, Crawford explains that he wants Clarice to talk to Dr. Lecter again. Why?
9. As Catherine Martin examines her situation, what does she see, and what does she come to realize?
10. Why is Dr. Lecter called "Hannibal the Cannibal"? Give an example. Does his viciousness tell you anything about his psychoses?
This section contains 1,212 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)