|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Describe Dr. Lecter's "lodgings" and "uniform" while his cell is being cleaned.
(a) He is cuffed to a pole, wearing a straightjacket and a gag.
(b) He is moved to another cell, wearing the typical hospital whites.
(c) He is locked in a plexiglass box wearing only underwear.
(d) Bound to a mover's hand truck with a straightjacket, leg restraints, canvas webbing, and over his face, a hockey mask.
2. Why did the Senator offer Dr. Lecter special privileges for his assistance in finding her daughter?
(a) She is not aware that special privileges have been offered in her name.
(b) She is desperate to find her daughter.
(c) The Senator thinks that no one other than Dr. Lecter will be able to solve this case.
(d) She knows that Dr. Lecter will do anything for publicity.
3. What are the entomologists using to play chess?
(a) A rhinoceros beetle.
(b) Cheese and crackers shaped like chess pieces.
(d) A marble chess set.
4. How did Lecter kill Benjamin Raspail?
(a) A stiletto knife through the heart.
(b) He cut his tongue out and allowed him to bleed to death.
(c) Slowly, with much torture.
5. What is notable about the vacation spot that Senator Martin offers to Dr. Lecter in return for information to aid in the return of her daughter?
(a) It is in the British West Indies.
(b) It is the location for a famous archaeological dig.
(c) It is in Miami Beach.
(d) It is the Animal Disease Center for Federal hoof and mouth disease research.
Short Answer Questions
1. After her father's death when she was a child, where did Clarice live?
2. Who killed the man in the Packard and why?
3. In Chapter 27, what does Dr. Chilton remove from the school desk while Dr. Lecter looks on?
4. What are the rules for giving documents to the inmate that Clarice is at the hospital to see?
5. In Chapter 22, Dr. Lecter tells Clarice that Buffalo Bill wants what?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Clarice tactfully clear the room of excess law enforcement at the funeral home where the latest victim's body is being kept?
2. What were the circumstances surrounding Benjamin Raspail's death? What was his actual cause of death?
3. Why is Clarice so eager to get into Raspail's storage unit? Does she truly think that any tip from Dr. Lecter would be true?
4. How does Dr. Lecter work his way into the Buffalo Bill investigation when his only purpose to the FBI was to be as a tool for study through his psychological evaluation? Again, how does he show his disdain for law enforcement? If he is so anti-authority, why does he speak with Clarice?
5. How do Dr. Lecter's taunts and remarks affect Clarice? Is her character strong enough to face a madman like Dr. Lecter?
6. Why doesn't Dr. Lecter think that Buffalo Bill is a sadist, and what does he think Buffalo Bill actually wants?
7. Why would Dr. Lecter be offended by being interviewed by a FBI trainee? How does he control the environment around him? How does he control the conversation with Clarice?
8. Why does Dr. Lecter refer to Clarice as a "cheap redneck, one generation out of the mines"? What might he hope to accomplish by insulting her?
9. What does Crawford think about Dr. Lecter's eerily accurate prediction that the girl would be scalped? How does Crawford feel about Dr. Lecter's other, unsubstantiated prediction?
10. In Chapter 18, Crawford explains that he wants Clarice to talk to Dr. Lecter again. Why?
This section contains 1,636 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)