|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Jack Crawford tell Clarice to keep any inside information from Dr. Chilton?
(a) Dr. Chilton will try to solve the case on his own.
(b) Dr. Chilton has been known to sell information to the tabloids.
(c) Dr. Chilton will compromise the case for his own notoriety.
(d) Jack Crawford thinks Dr. Chilton could be Buffalo Bill's true identity.
2. What does Jack Crawford think that Dr. Lecter knows about Buffalo Bill?
(a) Buffalo Bill's mode of transportation.
(b) Buffalo Bill's favorite meal.
(c) Buffalo Bill's reason for killing.
(d) Buffalo Bill's true identity.
3. After Dr. Chilton sends everyone away, what does he tell Dr. Lecter?
(a) That Dr. Chilton will find the special book that Dr. Lecter wants if he will only share his knowledge about Buffalo Bill.
(b) That he can't wait to break him and see him squirm.
(c) That Dr. Chilton and Clarice are having an affair.
(d) That Senator Martin's deal is a fake, and Dr. Lecter will never see the sunlight again.
4. What is the name of the man in the Packard?
(a) Everett Yow.
(c) Benjamin Raspail.
(d) Jack Crawford.
5. In Chapter 22, Dr. Lecter tells Clarice that Buffalo Bill wants what?
(a) A vest with female breasts on it.
(b) A new car.
(c) A butterfly collection.
(d) Freedom to be open about his sexuality.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Clarice moved to her new home after the death of her father, what did she discover was the purpose of that location?
2. Who keeps Clarice from getting more information from Dr. Lecter?
3. What is the name of Jame Gumb's poodle?
4. Why does Jack Crawford want Clarice to start talking to Dr. Lecter again?
5. In Chapter 27, what does Dr. Chilton remove from the school desk while Dr. Lecter looks on?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Clarice tactfully clear the room of excess law enforcement at the funeral home where the latest victim's body is being kept?
2. As Catherine Martin examines her situation, what does she see, and what does she come to realize?
3. Though Dr. Lecter does not believe the senator's offer is genuine because Crawford would never allow Dr. Lecter to benefit, for what does Dr. Lecter agree to offer his cooperation in exchange for, and how does he begin collecting on the proposal immediately?
4. Do you think Clarice sees Crawford as a father figure? Why or why not?
5. How does Dr. Lecter work his way into the Buffalo Bill investigation when his only purpose to the FBI was to be as a tool for study through his psychological evaluation? Again, how does he show his disdain for law enforcement? If he is so anti-authority, why does he speak with Clarice?
6. What is an imago, and how does this relate to Buffalo Bill?
7. Why does Dr. Lecter refer to Clarice as a "cheap redneck, one generation out of the mines"? What might he hope to accomplish by insulting her?
8. How do Dr. Lecter's taunts and remarks affect Clarice? Is her character strong enough to face a madman like Dr. Lecter?
9. In Chapter 1, who is the serial killer the FBI wants to interview, and what does he offer to Clarice?
10. What does Dr. Chilton do to thwart the FBI and insert himself into the Catherine Martin investigation?
This section contains 1,398 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)