|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. "Goal: New Music, New Dance" was first published as part of a series in what publication?
(a) Dance Observer.
(b) New Observer.
(c) Music Observer.
(d) Form Observer.
2. What city was Cage in when he learned that the burning questions among students were "Where are we going?" and "What are we doing?"
(a) The Bronx.
3. In "Where Are We Going? And What Are We Doing?" Cage says Hidalgo has gone where?
(a) To Liverpool.
(b) To Rome.
(c) To London.
(d) To Paris.
4. Cage and his friend accidentally steal what item of clothing from a party to which he was not invited?
(a) A coat.
(b) A tie.
5. Cage and his friend received food and spices from what country?
Short Answer Questions
1. What two things does Cage say he grew up assuming were good for him?
2. How long did it take Cage to read the "Gospel of Sri Ramakrishna"?
3. In "Where Are We Going? And What Are We Doing?" Cage recalls once when he thought he was going East, but he was really going in what direction?
4. For what medium of art was Robert Rauschenberg famous?
5. "Where Are We Going? And What Are We Doing?" was first recorded in how many parts?
Short Essay Questions
1. In the fourth layer of "Where Are We Going? And What Are We Doing?", what does Cage say about moving into the field of experience and being?
2. What happened when Cage attended a party to which he was not invited and asked the hostess for rum to drink?
3. What does Cage say on the subject of poetry in "Lecture on Nothing"?
4. In the third layer of "Where Are We Going? And What Are We Doing?", what does Cage say about where "we are going"?
5. Describe the process Cage using for writing "45' for a Speaker."
6. What does Cage say about error in "45' for a Speaker"?
7. How did Cage come to be in possession of a coat belonging to Ms. Reis?
8. Where did Cage get the idea to write "Where Are We Going? And What Are We Doing?"
9. What does Cage suggests that Morton Feldman felt about opposites?
10. How does Cage avoid being psychoanalyzed?
This section contains 803 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)