|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. "Goal: New Music, New Dance" was first published as part of a series titled what?
(a) Modern Music and Its Relation to the Modern Dance.
(b) String Music and Its Relation to the Modern Dance.
(c) Percussion Music and Its Relation to the Modern Dance.
(d) Classical Music and Its Relation to the Modern Dance.
2. Meister Eckhart said in sermons that he would like to be rid of what?
(d) The idea of good and evil.
3. Who asked Cage to accompany her to a party to which he was not invited?
(a) Annemarie Schwarzenbach.
(b) Berta Huguenin.
(c) Pia Fries.
(d) Sonya Sekula.
4. "Goal: New Music, New Dance" was first published as part of a series in what publication?
(a) Music Observer.
(b) New Observer.
(c) Form Observer.
(d) Dance Observer.
5. Who is the author of "The Persians"?
Short Answer Questions
1. "On Robert Rauschenberg, Artist, and His Work" was completed it what month?
2. A member of what Greek organization accused Cage of believing art follows science?
3. In what year did Cage first present his lecture "45' for a Speaker"?
4. In what year did Cage meet Merce Cunningham?
5. "Where Are We Going? And What Are We Doing?" was first recorded in how many parts?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Cage say about error in "45' for a Speaker"?
2. What does Cage say on the subject of poetry in "Lecture on Nothing"?
3. How did Cage come to be in possession of a coat belonging to Ms. Reis?
4. Where did Cage get the idea to write "Where Are We Going? And What Are We Doing?"
5. What does Cage say about the title of his article called "2 Pages, 122 Words on Music and Dance"?
6. Describe the process Cage using for writing "45' for a Speaker."
7. How does Cage avoid being psychoanalyzed?
8. What happened when Cage told a technician during a recording session what to expect from his music?
9. What contributions is painter Robert Rauschenberg known for?
10. What does Cage say about the form of "Where Are We Going? And What Are We Doing?"
This section contains 763 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)