|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Cage recalls that one of Robert Rauschenberg's paintings was destroyed by what animal?
2. Cage attended a party to which he was not invited and caused the hostess to fetch what drink from the basement?
(b) Red wine.
3. Where did Merce Cunningham study before going to New York City?
(d) Los Angeles.
4. "Lecture on Nothing" was originally printed in what month?
5. In "Where Are We Going? And What Are We Doing?" Cage recalls going to a Candlelight Concert for what holiday?
(a) Independence Day.
(b) New Year's Day.
6. In "45' for a Speaker" Cage says one danger for the magnetic tape is what type of music?
7. A member of what Greek organization accused Cage of believing art follows science?
(a) Phi Beta Kappa.
(b) Alpha Omega Theta.
(c) Sigma Chi.
(d) Sigma Alpha Epsilon.
8. Which of Cage's friends obsessed over a box of spices and food that came from overseas?
(a) Sonya Sekula.
(b) Merce Cunningham.
(c) David Tudor.
(d) M. C. Richards.
9. In "Where Are We Going? And What Are We Doing?" Cage recalls once when he thought he was going East, but he was really going in what direction?
10. Dr. Suzuki ended a book by saying that even though he had become enlightened, he was still what?
11. In what year did Cage meet Merce Cunningham?
12. In "Where Are We Going? And What Are We Doing?" Cage says Marchetti has gone where?
(a) To Athens.
(b) To Milan.
(c) To Venice.
(d) To Dublin.
13. In "Where Are We Going? And What Are We Doing?" Cage recalls asking if there was music played during meetings of what religion?
14. In the introduction to "Four Statements on the Dance," Cage says Bonnie Bird had danced with whom?
(a) May O'Donnell.
(b) Sophie Maslow.
(c) Jane Dudley.
(d) Martha Graham.
15. In "Where Are We Going? And What Are We Doing?" Cage recalls having an appointment at what time?
(a) 2 p.m.
(b) 5 p.m.
(d) 9 a.m.
Short Answer Questions
1. "Goal: New Music, New Dance" was first published as part of a series in what publication?
2. Cage recalls attending a party where what man leaves the conversation to work in the corner?
3. In what month did Cage first present his lecture "45' for a Speaker"?
4. "Lecture on Nothing" was written in a format where there are how many measures in each line?
5. In an after-note to "Lecture on Nothing," the author recalls the way in which he avoided what?
This section contains 446 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)