|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do the upper class women of Raveloe prepare for the great New Years Eve dance at the Red House?
2. What part of his confession does Godfrey fail to communicate to his father?
3. Which party is the biggest event of the year for the Red House?
4. Who is Dolly Winthrop’s son?
5. Does anyone connect that the disappearance of both Dunsey and Silas Marner’s gold occurred on the same day?
Short Essay Questions
1. Is the religious life of Raveloe the same as that of Lantern Yard?
2. How do the visits of his neighbors fail to help Silas Marner?
3. What does Eppie express a desire for as they leave the church? How does this reflect Eppie’s life with Silas Marner?
4. How does Godfrey handle Silas Marner’s adoption of Eppie?
5. How does Silas Marner’s trial of using the coal-hole work?
6. What profession is the Kimble family famous for, and why will that end soon?
7. Why is Molly Farren on her way to the New Year’s Eve dance at the Red House? What are her motivations?
8. How does Silas attempt to keep track of Eppie while he works?
9. What happens to Molly Farren and her child on the way to the dance at the Red House?
10. Dolly Winthrop seems to be the only visitor who comes with genuine care. Does her visit succeed in convincing Silas Marner to attend church on Christmas? Why or why not?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does the loss of his gold and the arrival of Eppie alter Silas Marner’s life?
Essay Topic 2
Explain how the role of random chance (Providence, coincidence. Etc.) have in Silas Marner. What are some examples of unlikely events or actions helping to form the story?
Essay Topic 3
Dunsey Cass is cast as an antagonist in the story. How does his selfishness towards his brother impact Silas Marner?
This section contains 827 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)