|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How old is Squire Cass when he is described in Chapter 9?
(a) 60 years old.
(b) 50 years old.
(c) 75 years old.
(d) 80 years old.
2. What part of his confession does Godfrey fail to communicate to his father?
(a) That he is already married to the drunken Molly Farren.
(b) That he is not in love with Nancy lammeter.
(c) That he stole Silas Marner’s gold.
(d) That his horse, Wildfire, was “staked.”
3. What time of day does Godfrey choose to finally confess to his father?
(a) After the New Year’s Eve party.
(b) After Dunsey finally returns.
(c) In the morning after breakfast.
(d) In the evening after dinner.
4. What is the one item that stands out as peculiar on Molly Farren’s body?
(a) Her phial of Opium.
(b) Her coat.
(c) Her wedding ring.
(d) Her glasses.
5. How much time passes between the end of Part 1 and the beginning of Part 2?
(a) 16 months.
(c) 15 years.
(d) 10 years.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the Cass estate?
2. What is the one story genuinely considered by the town to explain the robbery of the gold?
3. What issue does Dolly Winthrop confront Silas Marner regarding?
4. Who is Solomon in Chapter 11?
5. Which party is the biggest event of the year for the Red House?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Molly Farren on her way to the New Year’s Eve dance at the Red House? What are her motivations?
2. What was Silas Marner doing when Eppie entered his cottage?
3. Does Nancy actually want to step out of the dance with Godfrey? Why or why not?
4. What is the scene like as the women prepare themselves before the festivities of the great New Year’s Eve dance at the Red House?
5. What happens to Molly Farren and her child on the way to the dance at the Red House?
6. Why does Godfrey meet his father after breakfast?
7. Is the religious life of Raveloe the same as that of Lantern Yard?
8. What does Eppie express a desire for as they leave the church? How does this reflect Eppie’s life with Silas Marner?
9. Why is the connection between Eppie’s hair and Marner’s lost gold significant?
10. Why is the New Year’s Eve dance more important than the Christmas Day party at the Red House?
This section contains 856 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)