|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How much time passes between the end of Part 1 and the beginning of Part 2?
(b) 16 months.
(c) 10 years.
(d) 15 years.
2. What does Silas Marner decide to do with the child he has found?
(a) Take her to an orphanage in a nearby town.
(b) Bring her to the parish.
(c) Give her to Mrs. Kimble.
(d) Keep her and raise her himself.
3. Doctor Kimble, Silas Marner, Dolly Winthrop, and who else go back to investigate Molly Farren’s condition?
(a) Mr. Crackenthorp.
(b) Nancy Lammeter.
(c) Godfrey Cass.
(d) Squire Cass.
4. What does Squire Cass decide regarding Dunsey’s position in his household after he staked Wildfire?
(a) That his son should enlist.
(b) That his son should run his estate.
(c) That his son must be confined to his quarters.
(d) That his son is no longer welcome.
5. What does Godfrey Cass see by the doors that astonishes him?
(a) A feast worthy of a king.
(b) Silas Marner holding his daughter.
(c) All the gold in Scotland.
(d) Nancy Lammeter’s beauty.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Molly Farren traveling so late in the day?
2. How old is Squire Cass when he is described in Chapter 9?
3. When Godfrey follows Doctor Kimble and Silas Marner, what item of clothing does he forget he is wearing out into the snow?
4. How does Godfrey feel when his daughter doesn’t recognize him?
5. At what time of day did Molly Farren leave to make the trip to the Red House?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to Molly Farren and her child on the way to the dance at the Red House?
2. How does Silas Marner’s trial of using the coal-hole work?
3. When Silas Marner claims Eppie, what is the reaction of those at the party?
4. Who helps Silas Marner navigate parenthood? How was this helpful?
5. Is the religious life of Raveloe the same as that of Lantern Yard?
6. How does having Eppie affect Silas Marner’s attitude towards church?
7. How is Silas Marner viewed as Part 2 of the story begins?
8. What is the scene like as the women prepare themselves before the festivities of the great New Year’s Eve dance at the Red House?
9. Why is it guessed that Godfrey and Nancy are “sweethearting” when they step out of the dance?
10. How does Silas attempt to keep track of Eppie while he works?
This section contains 879 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)