|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who, is it thought, owned the tinder-box found near Silas Marner's cottage?
(a) Nancy Lammeter.
(b) A peddler who visited the town recently.
(c) Dunsey Cass.
(d) A magistrate who recently left on business.
2. What does Silas Marner do to calm himself after the first shock of losing his money?
(a) Goes to sleep.
(b) Begins planning how to take vengeance on the thief.
(c) Goes to the authorities.
(d) Begins working on his loom.
3. Who do Godfrey and Dunsey decide should sell Wildfire?
(b) William Dane.
(d) Squire Cass.
4. After Sarah left Silas, how long was it before she married William Dane?
(a) Two months.
(b) Six months.
(c) A year.
(d) One month.
5. What does Dunsey do after selling Wildfire?
(a) Goes home.
(b) Goes to Bryce’s estate to finish the sale of the horse.
(c) Waits for the hunt to end so he can finish the transaction with Bryce.
(d) Goes on the hunt.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Master Kench in Chapter 6?
2. Who is Squire Cass’s eldest son?
3. Why does Silas Marner suspect Jem Rodney of stealing his gold?
4. What sets Squire Cass apart from the other landowners in Raveloe?
5. What form of judgment declared Silas Marner guilty of stealing at Lantern Yard?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the incident with the brown earthenware pot show about Silas’ condition?
2. Silas Marner’s departure from his home and his travels to Raveloe is compared to the divinities of old in what way?
3. What is the overall feel of the conversation at the Rainbow before Silas Marner’s arrival?
4. What is the narrative point of view of Silas Marner?
5. What seems to be William Dane’s motivation in framing Silas Marner as a thief after nine years of friendship?
6. Why does Godfrey have such a hard time with the idea of confessing his situation to his father?
7. What happens when Silas heals his neighbor, the cobbler’s wife, from sickness?
8. Explain Silas Marner’s reaction to his gold being lost.
9. How is Raveloe different from Lantern Yard?
10. What does Eliot accomplish by taking an entire chapter to set the scene at the Rainbow before Silas Marner’s arrival?
This section contains 835 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)