|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Godfrey fear in confessing his marriage to Molly Farren to his father?
(a) Being sent to his room.
(b) Losing his allowance.
(c) Needing to give back Wildfire.
(d) Losing Nancy Lammeter.
2. Why does Silas Marner suspect Jem Rodney of stealing his gold?
(a) He heard Jem planning to take the gold.
(b) He has visited Silas Marner often.
(c) He is a known poacher and disreputable.
(d) He saw Jem sneaking around his house.
3. Which two people go with Silas Marner to the constable’s after his gold is stolen?
(a) Mr. Snell, the landlord, and Mr. Dowlas.
(b) Mr. Dowlas and Jem Rodney.
(c) Mr. Snell, the landlord, and Godfrey.
(d) Godfrey and Mr. Dowlas.
4. Who is Godfrey Cass in love with?
(a) Molly Pitcher.
(b) Sarah of Lantern Yard.
(c) Molly Farren.
(d) Nancy Lammeter.
5. Who is Squire Cass’s eldest son?
(a) Dunstan Cass.
(b) Dunsey Cass.
(c) Silas Marner.
(d) Godfrey Cass.
6. How is it decided to try to sell Wildfire?
(a) Taking him directly to other wealthy families to see who is interested.
(b) Try to find a buyer at the hunt the next day.
(c) In the newspaper.
(d) At the market.
7. Who gave Silas Marner the pork he is roasting when his gold is stolen?
(a) Squire Cass.
(b) Miss Nancy Lammeter.
(c) Miss Priscilla Lammeter.
(d) Dolly Winthrop.
8. What two people are draining Godfrey of his money through bribes and hush money?
(a) Dunsey and Molly Farren.
(b) Dunsey and Sarah of Lantern Yard.
(c) Squire Cass and Dunsey.
(d) Molly Farren and Squire Cass.
9. How long has Godfrey wooed Nancy Lammeter?
(a) 10 years.
(b) 6 months.
(c) 2 years.
(d) 4 years.
10. What sets Squire Cass apart from the other landowners in Raveloe?
(a) He is the head of a newly wealthy family.
(b) He ownes the town.
(c) He is a lord.
(d) He has tenants.
11. What item is discovered near Silas’ cottage that is seen as a clue to the robbery?
(a) A knife.
(b) A tinder-box.
(c) Dunsey’s shoe.
(d) Godfrey’s riding whip.
12. Why is Godfrey waiting to speak with Dunsey when they enter the story in Chapter 3?
(a) He wants to fight with Dunsey.
(b) They are starting a business venture.
(c) He wants to ride horses together.
(d) He wants Dunsey to pay him back the money he borrowed.
13. What physical malady afflicted Silas Marner from time to time?
(c) A bad cold.
14. How long before the story begins had Silas Marner arrived at Raveloe?
(a) He had lived there his entire life.
(b) 16 years.
(c) 15 years.
(d) 5 years.
15. What does Dunsey do after selling Wildfire?
(a) Waits for the hunt to end so he can finish the transaction with Bryce.
(b) Goes to Bryce’s estate to finish the sale of the horse.
(c) Goes on the hunt.
(d) Goes home.
Short Answer Questions
1. How is Dunsey Cass described?
2. What item does Dunsey have with him while he walks back from the hunt towards Silas Marner’s cottage?
3. How long is Dunsey in Silas Marner’s cottage looking for the gold?
4. What does the landlord first have Silas Marner do after he arrives at the Rainbow?
5. Who is appointed deputy-constable in the investigation of Silas' stolen gold?
This section contains 566 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)