|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Godfrey waiting to speak with Dunsey when they enter the story in Chapter 3?
(a) He wants to ride horses together.
(b) He wants to fight with Dunsey.
(c) He wants Dunsey to pay him back the money he borrowed.
(d) They are starting a business venture.
2. Where does Silas Marner hide his gold?
(a) Under his floor.
(b) In the coal box.
(c) Buried under a tree.
(d) In the attic.
3. Who was William Dane?
(a) Silas Marner’s father.
(b) Silas Marner’s grandfather.
(c) Silas Marner’s brother.
(d) Silas Marner’s best friend.
4. For what reason does Godfrey want to avoid going to the hunt to sell Wildfire himself?
(a) He was bored of hunting.
(b) It was near the home of Molly Farren.
(c) He was not very fond of hunting.
(d) He was too tired from a long day of work.
5. Why is Silas Marner valuable to Raveloe?
(a) He is helpful.
(b) He is a religious leader.
(c) He is a wealthy aristocrat.
(d) He is a talented linen-weaver.
6. Who, is it thought, owned the tinder-box found near Silas Marner's cottage?
(a) Nancy Lammeter.
(b) A peddler who visited the town recently.
(c) A magistrate who recently left on business.
(d) Dunsey Cass.
7. Who are Bryce and Keating?
(a) Dunsey’s two best friends.
(b) A pair of actors.
(c) Two men attending the hunt with Dunsey.
(d) Two merchants.
8. Who were the “pallid undersized men” (9) who looked odd next to the “brawny country-folk” (9)?
9. When Dunsey finds Silas Marner absent from his cottage, what does he decide to do?
(a) Wait until he returns and then ask him to borrow the money he needs.
(b) Steal the gold before he returns.
(c) Come back another day.
(d) Steal the gold and then burn down the house.
10. When Sally Oats is sick, how does Silas Marner heal her?
(a) With a drink made with peppermint.
(b) With a drink made with foxglove.
(c) With a home cooked meal.
(d) With hot compresses and rest.
11. What was Silas Marner’s reputation in Lantern Yard before he was betrayed?
(a) A young man of excellent standing and devout faith.
(b) A wild young man who was always getting into trouble.
(c) A quiet and peaceful hermit isolated from the community.
(d) An imposter who traded information for money.
12. What other option does Godfrey see besides confessing to his father?
(a) Moving away.
(b) Enlisting as a soldier.
(d) A life spent in fear.
13. What does Silas appear to look like when he arrives at the Rainbow after his gold is stolen?
(a) A woman.
(b) An apparition.
(c) A zombie.
(d) A skeleton.
14. How long has Godfrey wooed Nancy Lammeter?
(a) 6 months.
(b) 10 years.
(c) 2 years.
(d) 4 years.
15. What does Silas Marner decide to do after returning from the village and while waiting for his supper to cook?
(a) Look at his gold.
(b) Lay down to rest.
(c) Set up his loom for the next day.
(d) Change his wet clothes.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Godfrey decide to do while waiting for Dunsey to sell Wildfire?
2. How does Godfrey find out that Wildfire is dead?
3. Why did Silas Marner need to go to the town in the rain while roasting his dinner?
4. How is Dunsey Cass described?
5. What form of judgment declared Silas Marner guilty of stealing at Lantern Yard?
This section contains 622 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)