|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Silas Marner do to calm himself after the first shock of losing his money?
(a) Begins working on his loom.
(b) Goes to the authorities.
(c) Goes to sleep.
(d) Begins planning how to take vengeance on the thief.
2. What was the name of Silas Marner’s fiancé in Lantern Yard?
3. How does Dunsey initially want to get Silas Marner’s money?
(a) By making friends with the weaver.
(b) By scaring the weaver into lending it to him.
(c) By stealing it.
(d) By killing Silas Marner.
4. Silas Marner came to Raveloe from which direction?
(a) The north.
(b) The west.
(c) The east.
(d) The south.
5. Who is the greatest man in Raveloe?
(a) Silas Marner.
(b) William Dane.
(c) Godfrey Cass.
(d) Squire Cass.
6. Does Silas Marner want to punish the thief who stole his gold?
(a) No, he just wants his money back.
(b) No, he wants to find them and forgive them.
(c) Yes, he wants to see justice served.
(d) Yes, but getting his gold back is his main priority.
7. What item is discovered near Silas’ cottage that is seen as a clue to the robbery?
(a) A knife.
(b) A tinder-box.
(c) Godfrey’s riding whip.
(d) Dunsey’s shoe.
8. How does Bryce know that Dunsey wants to sell Wildfire?
(a) Dunsey mentions a bid he had for the horse, implying his willingness to sell it.
(b) Bryce’s horse is injured and Dunsey offers to sell him his horse.
(c) Dunsey asks him if he is interested in purchasing the horse.
(d) Bryce asks Dunsey if the horse is for sale.
9. How does Godfrey find out that Wildfire is dead?
(a) Bryce tells him.
(b) Rumor reaches Godfrey while visiting at the Rainbow.
(c) Godfrey finds Wildfire’s body.
(d) Dunsey finally comes home and confesses.
10. What does Dunsey do after selling Wildfire?
(a) Goes on the hunt.
(b) Waits for the hunt to end so he can finish the transaction with Bryce.
(c) Goes to Bryce’s estate to finish the sale of the horse.
(d) Goes home.
11. Who attempts to mediate the conversation at the Rainbow?
(a) Bob, the butcher.
(b) The landlord, Mr. Snell.
(c) Mr. Macey.
(d) Godfrey Cass.
12. Who is Squire Cass’s eldest son?
(a) Dunstan Cass.
(b) Dunsey Cass.
(c) Godfrey Cass.
(d) Silas Marner.
13. Who is Godfrey Cass in love with?
(a) Nancy Lammeter.
(b) Sarah of Lantern Yard.
(c) Molly Farren.
(d) Molly Pitcher.
14. Who were the “pallid undersized men” (9) who looked odd next to the “brawny country-folk” (9)?
15. The loss of Wildfire causes Dunsey to turn to what source to get his brother’s money?
(a) Selling his own horse.
(b) Silas Marner’s gold.
(c) Borrowing money from Bryce.
(d) Borrowing money from Keating.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Master Kench in Chapter 6?
2. What does it mean when it says "what does he do but go and stake him" (80) regarding Dunsey and Wildfire?
3. After Sarah left Silas, how long was it before she married William Dane?
4. How does the evening’s conversation at the Rainbow begin?
5. Where is Silas Marner when Dunsey stole his gold?
This section contains 575 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)