|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How is it decided to try to sell Wildfire?
(a) Try to find a buyer at the hunt the next day.
(b) In the newspaper.
(c) At the market.
(d) Taking him directly to other wealthy families to see who is interested.
2. Who are Bryce and Keating?
(a) Two men attending the hunt with Dunsey.
(b) Dunsey’s two best friends.
(c) Two merchants.
(d) A pair of actors.
3. How much gold was stolen from Silas Marner?
(a) Over 300 pounds.
(b) 272 pounds, 12 and 6 pence.
(c) 272 pounds.
(d) 172 pounds, 12 and 6 pence.
4. Silas Marner came to Raveloe from which direction?
(a) The south.
(b) The east.
(c) The west.
(d) The north.
5. Why had Silas Marner’s cottage door been unlocked when Dunsey had entered?
(a) His neighbors were watching the house for him.
(b) He was not worried about theft and left the door unlocked.
(c) He had forgotten.
(d) The string to lock it was being used to cook his supper.
6. Dunsey blackmails his brother with what information in Chapter 3?
(a) His marriage to Molly Farren.
(b) His desire to marry Nancy Lammeter.
(c) Violence against his brother.
(d) His debts.
7. What item did William Dane use to frame Silas Marner?
(a) His coat.
(b) His knife.
(c) His gun.
(d) His loom.
8. What does Godfrey hope to gain by marrying Nancy Lammeter?
(a) A dose of warmth and pleasantness into the cold nature of his life.
(b) A large family.
(c) A lifelong friendship.
(d) A large dowry.
9. Who is appointed deputy-constable in the investigation of Silas' stolen gold?
(a) Silas Marner.
(b) Mr. Dowlas.
(c) Mr. Snell, the landlord.
(d) Godfrey Cass.
10. What does it mean when it says "what does he do but go and stake him" (80) regarding Dunsey and Wildfire?
(a) He staked a claim for the horse.
(b) He wagered the horse on a bet.
(c) The horse was cooked into steaks.
(d) He tried to jump a fence and the horse was skewered.
11. To what creature is Silas Marner compared in Chapter 2?
(a) An angry rat.
(b) A grumpy cow.
(c) A spindly spider.
(d) A spinning insect.
12. Who is Godfrey Cass in love with?
(a) Sarah of Lantern Yard.
(b) Nancy Lammeter.
(c) Molly Farren.
(d) Molly Pitcher.
13. Who do Godfrey and Dunsey decide should sell Wildfire?
(a) William Dane.
(b) Squire Cass.
14. How does Godfrey find out that Wildfire is dead?
(a) Rumor reaches Godfrey while visiting at the Rainbow.
(b) Godfrey finds Wildfire’s body.
(c) Bryce tells him.
(d) Dunsey finally comes home and confesses.
15. What form of judgment declared Silas Marner guilty of stealing at Lantern Yard?
(a) A court case.
(c) The king’s order.
(d) Drawing lots.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Squire Cass’s eldest son?
2. When he sees the empty hole in his floor where his gold had been, what is Silas’ reaction?
3. What does Dunsey mean by “I’m always lucky in my weather” (39)?
4. How much is Wildfire sold for?
5. How long has Godfrey wooed Nancy Lammeter?
This section contains 531 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)