|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is guarding Mr. Double-U?
(a) A black man with a badge.
(b) A solitary silent man.
(c) Goons with guns.
(d) A boy Makina has had relations with.
2. How does Makina say the people in the anglogaggle react to the machines at the self-checkout?
(a) They act as if the machines are people.
(b) They are shocked by the bleeping.
(c) They seem drugged by the voices.
(d) They struggle to hide the fact that they are interacting with robots.
3. What food has Makina brought with her?
(a) Fry bread.
(b) Peanut brittle.
(c) Goat cheese.
4. What is Mr. Aitch doing when Makina arrives?
(a) Having a meal.
(b) Reading the paper.
(c) Having a sauna.
(d) Playing dominoes.
5. How are Makina’s countrymen different here?
(a) More begging.
(b) Less restraint.
(c) Less whistling.
(d) More singing.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do the people in the anglogaggle appear to Makina?
2. What does Makina drink with Mr. Double-U?
3. Who tells Makina to go clean up before she gives anyone the package?
4. Where does Makina meet Mr. Aitch?
5. Why does Makina pack light?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Cora send Makina to talk to the top dogs?
2. What is Makina’s river crossing like?
3. Who is Makina?
4. What does Makina say immigrants carried in their rucksacks?
5. How does the narrator describe the city Makina arrives in?
6. What has Makina brought with her on her trip to the other side?
7. How does the old man explain the game of baseball to Makina?
8. What makes Makina impatient to finish the errand her mother has given her?
9. What does Makina need to do to get access to Mr. Double-U and Mr. Aitch?
10. What does Makina think is killing her when the novel opens?
This section contains 707 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)