|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Makina hear as soon as she leaves the army base?
(a) "Don’t leave me!"
(b) "Assume the position!"
(d) "You’re under arrest!"
2. What does Makina’s brother’s second note say?
(a) "I’m fine, I have a job."
(b) "I’m in danger, help."
(c) "Send money so I can come home."
(d) "I’m going to send money with my next letter."
3. What does Makina’s brother say made him confident about taking this job?
(a) The military was the most powerful in the world, and it would bring him back safe.
(b) The amount of money would be life-changing if he got it.
(c) It would hide the shame of having been duped about the land.
(d) Dying in a foreign land wasn’t any worse than starving or being beaten in this one.
4. What does Makina not see in the city to tell her that it is a city?
(a) Central plazas.
(b) Business districts.
(c) Residential neighborhoods.
(d) Shopping malls.
5. How does Makina characterize new ways of saying things?
(a) As new things themselves.
(b) As prophesies of a new world.
(c) As degradation of pure languages.
(d) As transformations of the old world.
6. After the boy takes Makina inside the restaurant, he introduces her to a woman. Who does the woman remind Makina of?
(a) Her grandmother.
(b) Her brother.
(d) The boy on the bus.
7. Which suburb does Makina need to visit next?
(a) The one with the prison.
(b) The one with the museum.
(c) The one with the zoo.
(d) The one with the petroleum refinery.
8. What does the woman tell Makina about her brother’s condition when he showed up?
(a) He was proud and standoffish.
(b) He was confused and homesick.
(c) He was sick as a dog.
(d) He was broke and angry.
9. Who does Makina think when her acquaintance recognizes her?
(a) That she must still inspire fear.
(b) That she is very hungry.
(c) That she must look terrible.
(d) That she must be filthy.
10. Why did Makina go into the ATM booth?
(a) To hide from some cops.
(b) To get money.
(c) For shelter from the cold.
(d) To change her clothes.
11. What does Makina’s brother say typically initiated periods of activity for him and his fellow soldiers?
(a) A bomb would be thrown into the compound.
(b) There was no regularity to the periods of activity.
(c) A higher-up would decide it was time for a campaign.
(d) One of his homeys would be shot.
12. What does Makina say people are doing when they combine languages?
(a) Marrying cultures.
(b) Returning to their roots.
(c) Making the world happen anew.
(d) Re-domesticating human experience.
13. What does Makina write?
(a) A plea.
(b) A tirade.
(c) A lecture.
(d) A jeremiad.
14. What does the narrator say is brimming in the immigrants’ language?
15. Why is Makina surprised by the man who opens the door at the address the woman from the restaurant gave her?
(a) He is not her brother.
(b) He is a dark-skinned black man.
(c) He does not speak English.
(d) He speaks her language.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why had this person joined the army?
2. Who offered Makina’s brother a job?
3. At what time of day does Makina arrive at the address she is looking for?
4. What did the person whose place Makina’s brother is taking ask him?
5. How long does it take for Makina to realize that she has made a mistake in regard to recognizing her brother?
This section contains 607 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)