1. What does Makina say to herself when the ground lurches, at the beginning of the book?
2. What sound does the narrator say the earth makes when the sinkhole opens?
A dull groan.
3. Which of these things does the sinkhole swallow?
Screams of passersby.
4. What shape does the sinkhole take when it is done sinking?
A perfect circle.
5. What does Makina say is a "slippery bitch" (11)?
6. What does the narrator say affected Makina for the first time with this sinkhole?
The earth’s insanity.
This section contains 5,130 words
(approx. 18 pages at 300 words per page)