The following version of this book was used to create this Lesson Plan: Herrera, Yuri, Signs Preceding the End of the World. And Other Stories Press, 2009. Paperback version.
• Makina thinks she is dead when a sinkhole opens up near her. It swallows a few houses, a soccer field and a school.
• Since she is not swallowed, Makina continues on her errand.
• Makina’s mother Cora had asked her to make a trip to bring a note to her brother, and instructed her to make nice with the top dogs.
• Makina is preparing to make a crossing to Big Chilango, where she will find her brother.
• On the way to see Mr. Double-U at the baths, Makina passes Mr. Double-U’s sentry, a boy she had had sex with at some earlier date.
• After drinking bottled beer together, Mr. Double-U tells Makina that his man will...
This section contains 1,958 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)