|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Brought to You B(u)y: The Signs of Advertising.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What may be the best way to start the semiotic interpretation?
(a) Looking at the facts.
(b) Reading popular magazines.
(c) Interviewing people.
(d) Looking at the history.
2. What does the term, semiotics, refer to?
(a) Analysis of writing.
(b) Study of popular culture.
(c) Study of signs.
(d) A writing process.
3. What are some motivators typically used in ads?
(a) Leisure, exercise, and health.
(b) Guilt, fear, and fantasy.
(c) Comfort, happiness, and satisfaction
(d) Comfort, cost, and speed of action.
4. What is the purpose of the chapter, "Consuming Passions: The Culture of American Consumption?"
(a) Teach students to recognize how consumption habits change and write about it..
(b) Teach students how to analyze and write about consumerism.
(c) Teach students that the culture of consumerism begins with them.
(d) Teach students how to make wise choices and write about them.
5. When did the Study of pop culture as an academic subject start?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the semiotic method refer to?
2. How do advertisers target kids as customers?
3. Fill-in the blank. People buy products based on a system called ____________.
4. How do ads usually portray men?
5. What does Nina Leen's selection, "Just What Do You Do All Day?" showcase?
This section contains 351 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)