|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Brought to You B(u)y: The Signs of Advertising.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Rachel Bowlby, the author of "The Haunted Superstore, " what do people visiting a superstore not like?
(a) Crowded aisles.
(b) Not finding the item they want.
(c) Walking out empty handed.
(d) Sales people following them.
2. How do advertisers target kids as customers?
(a) They use enticing music and images to sell the products.
(b) They use the influence kids have over what their parents buy through kid friendly logos and advertisements.
(c) They send the message that the kids need to compete with their friends in being the first to get the product..
(d) They send the message to kids that they can have lot of fun.
3. What is a common advertising model that targets adult female customers?
(a) Persuading a woman that buying a product will make friends envy her.
(b) Persuading a woman that buying a product will enrich her lifestyle.
(c) Persuading a woman that buying a product will make her family value her.
(d) Persuading a woman that buying a product will make her feel good about her appearance.
4. Fill-in the blank. People buy products based on a system called ____________.
(a) BALS (Budget and Lifestyle System).
(b) CALS (Culture and Lifesyle System).
(c) SALS (Status and Lifestyle System).
(d) VALS (Values and Lifestyle System).
5. Which company's All-Bran ad promoted their product as a cancer preventing food?
(b) General Mills.
(c) McKee foods.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the essay, "More Factor" examine?
2. What is Semiotic method?
3. How do ads usually portray men?
4. What is a simple example of semiotic decoding?
5. What is the purpose of a package?
This section contains 367 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)