|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Constructing Race: Readings in Multicultural Semiotics.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Vivian C. Sobchack claim in her essay "The Postmorbid Condition?"
(a) Rather than aestheticizing violence, current films focus on it.
(b) Rather than sending a moral message on violence, current films ignore the impact.
(c) Rather than aestheticizing violence, current films send a moral message with it..
(d) Rather than aestheticizing violence, current films do not care about it.
2. What is the name of the movie cited by the authors of the Text book as one of the most popular films of 2001?
(a) The Princess Diaries.
(c) Jurassic Park III.
(d) Pearl Harbor.
3. What is digital gap?
(a) Gap between the haves and have-nots in their access to cellphones.
(b) Gap between the haves and have-nots in their access to iPods.
(c) Gap between the haves and have-nots in their access to computers and the Internet.
(d) Gap between the haves and have-nots in their access to digital communication.
4. What is Michael Omi 's main point in his essay "In Living Color: Race and American Culture?'
(a) Views on race are depicted with political correctness by the popular culture.
(b) Stereotypical worldviews on race are perceived and depicted as social issues in popular culture.
(c) Race and minorities are positively depicted by the media.
(d) Stereotypical worldviews on race are perceived and depicted as a natural in popular culture.
5. What does Bell Hooks write about in her essay "Baby?"
(a) Her preference for a white doll.
(b) Her choice of a brown doll just like her.
(c) How she enjoyed playing with dolls.
(d) How she disliked the brown dolls.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the author of "Asian Women in Film: No Joy, No Luck?" .
2. What does the phrase "Commodification of desire" refer to?
3. Who is an outlaw hero, according to Robert Ray, the writer of "The Thematic Paradigm?"
4. According to Benjamin DeMott, how does Hollywood portray the race relations between blacks and whites?
5. What are some motivators typically used in ads?
This section contains 443 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)