|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Mat finally makes it outside, he does so by making a kind of tool that is similar to what?
2. What does Matt really love to have to add to his fish and make it taste delicious?
3. When Matt and Attean are talking about the animal in the trap, what does Attean say that white men trap for?
4. As winter approaches, what does Matt use to fill in the cracks between the logs in the cabin?
5. What animal is in the trap that they come upon?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the celebration of the bear kill at Attean's village actually work to lessen friction over cultural differences?
2. What is Matt's reaction to Attean's explanation of his grandmother's hatred of white men?
3. Attean tells Matt that it is the white man who introduced metal traps to the Indians. What does the trap symbolize to Attean?
4. In spite of Attean not being in high spirits, he visits Matt shortly before his manitou. What is the significance of this visit at this time?
5. Even though they are husband and wife, why do Saknis's feelings about the white man differ from the feelings of Attean's grandmother?
6. What does Matt do at the end of Chapter 24 that suggests he has adequately prepared for winter?
7. How does Matt's reaction to the cleanup being relegated to squaws indicate that he is more accepting of cultural differences?
8. Why is Matt "delighted" to know that Attean tells the story to his brothers?
9. What is the conflict Matt faces when Saknis invites him to come along on the hunt with his people as Attean's brother?
10. When Matt comes upon the Attean's dog in the trap, he knows he is in the land of the turtle and should not tamper with anything there. Why does he knowingly go against the law that Attean taught him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the role of women in Attean's village? What does Attean say about women that help the reader understand his view of women in a community?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss whether the conflict of man against man or man against nature is the framework for the basic conflict in The Sign of the Beaver.
Essay Topic 3
At one point, both Saknis and Attean call Matt the white brother of Attean. Why is this term "brother" used by them here? How is being named a "brother" different than being called a "friend"? Why do they come to think Matt deserves this name?
This section contains 778 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)