|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. On this particular visit to Matt's cabin, what is Matt warned of?
2. What does Matt throw at the bear?
3. On this early autumn visit to Matt's cabin, what does Attean tell Matt the Indian men are preparing to hunt?
4. Approximately how long does it take Matt and Attean to reach Attean's village from Matt's cabin?
5. When Mat finally makes it outside, he does so by making a kind of tool that is similar to what?
Short Essay Questions
1. Since Matt has spent time with the Indians, how is he better able to make provisions for the winter?
2. What is Matt's reaction to Attean's explanation of his grandmother's hatred of white men?
3. How do the setting and details that the author uses to describe autumn work to match Matt's mood when he recognizes that his family is past due?
4. Matt gets considerable reassurance of his acceptance in Chapter 22 when Attean renews his invitation to Matt to join them to find a new hunting ground. How does Matt's response please and simultaneously disappoint Attean?
5. How does Matt's reaction to the cleanup being relegated to squaws indicate that he is more accepting of cultural differences?
6. When Attean comes to say farewell, why does Matt to give Attean his father's watch and not the book?
7. When Matt comes upon the Attean's dog in the trap, he knows he is in the land of the turtle and should not tamper with anything there. Why does he knowingly go against the law that Attean taught him?
8. What evidence is there that Matt's relationship with the Indians fulfilled a familial longing?
9. What is the conflict Matt faces when Saknis invites him to come along on the hunt with his people as Attean's brother?
10. After a day of hard play in the Indian village, Matt is physically sore but content. Explain these two apparently contradicting feelings.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
At one point, both Saknis and Attean call Matt the white brother of Attean. Why is this term "brother" used by them here? How is being named a "brother" different than being called a "friend"? Why do they come to think Matt deserves this name?
Essay Topic 2
Matt and Attean tell each other stories. Explain the importance of their knowing each other's stories and extend this by explaining the importance of people knowing the stories (such as the tales, the fables, the myths) of other cultures.
Essay Topic 3
There are four instances in the book that deal with metal traps--early on there is Ben and his trapping for furs; there is Attean explaining how they cannot take the fox from a trap on another tribe's hunting ground; there is releasing the dog from the metal trap. How do these traps and rules around them illustrate the conflict between the white man and the Indian and each other's rules?
This section contains 838 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)