|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Gluskabe?
2. What is one of the food preparations that Matt learns from the Indian women?
3. As Matt realizes it is September, what sign of fall does he NOT encounter?
4. In the morning at the village, what makes the thumping sound that Matt notices?
5. What does Matt temporarily "lose" in the gambling game he plays with the Indian boys?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Attean comes to say farewell, why does Matt to give Attean his father's watch and not the book?
2. What is Matt's reaction to Attean's explanation of his grandmother's hatred of white men?
3. How is Matt and Attean's use of each other's language symbolic of their relationship?
4. What is the conflict Matt faces when Saknis invites him to come along on the hunt with his people as Attean's brother?
5. What does Matt do at the end of Chapter 24 that suggests he has adequately prepared for winter?
6. What is the explanation for Attean not eating the bear and how does he seem to feel about this?
7. When Matt comes upon the Attean's dog in the trap, he knows he is in the land of the turtle and should not tamper with anything there. Why does he knowingly go against the law that Attean taught him?
8. How does the celebration of the bear kill at Attean's village actually work to lessen friction over cultural differences?
9. How do the setting and details that the author uses to describe autumn work to match Matt's mood when he recognizes that his family is past due?
10. Why is it ironic that Matt wonders how the Great Spirit that the Indians worship seem to be like the Indians themselves--i.e. a mighty hunter, very strong?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
At one point, both Saknis and Attean call Matt the white brother of Attean. Why is this term "brother" used by them here? How is being named a "brother" different than being called a "friend"? Why do they come to think Matt deserves this name?
Essay Topic 2
How might Attean's mannerisms or brusque speaking patterns heighten Matt's uneasiness about Attean's motives or his intentions? In order to answer this adequately, refer directly to instances of Attean's actions or words.
Essay Topic 3
At the beginning of The Sign of the Beaver, Matt is a child in his father's care. Although he has learned the lessons his father and his parents have taught him, discuss the immature side of Matt and give examples of his behaviors or early relations with people that suggest that he is still a child.
This section contains 792 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)