|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Attean say will come to cut up and clean the bear?
2. After Attean visits with his grandfather, with whom does Attean return a few days later?
3. Approximately how long does it take Matt and Attean to reach Attean's village from Matt's cabin?
4. Why does Matt hesitate to ask Attean for more stories?
5. What do the rescuers use to prevent the dog from biting while they get it out of the trap?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Matt's reaction to the cleanup being relegated to squaws indicate that he is more accepting of cultural differences?
2. What does Matt do at the end of Chapter 24 that suggests he has adequately prepared for winter?
3. Since Matt has spent time with the Indians, how is he better able to make provisions for the winter?
4. What evidence is there that Matt's relationship with the Indians fulfilled a familial longing?
5. How does the celebration of the bear kill at Attean's village actually work to lessen friction over cultural differences?
6. How does such a violent act as killing a bear bring Matt and Attean into a relationship that for the first time seems like a friendship?
7. Why is it ironic that Matt wonders how the Great Spirit that the Indians worship seem to be like the Indians themselves--i.e. a mighty hunter, very strong?
8. After a day of hard play in the Indian village, Matt is physically sore but content. Explain these two apparently contradicting feelings.
9. In spite of Attean not being in high spirits, he visits Matt shortly before his manitou. What is the significance of this visit at this time?
10. Even though they are husband and wife, why do Saknis's feelings about the white man differ from the feelings of Attean's grandmother?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In The Sign of the Beaver, Saknis, an older Indian, appears to befriend Matt. In addition to Matt's father's teachings, how is it evident that Saknis is a good and trustworthy person?
Essay Topic 2
Attean does not seem to understand Matt's concept of land ownership and he dismisses treaties that his people had with the white men as worthless. How then does he come to have a different opinion of the markings that tribes put on trees to designate their hunting grounds. How is this concept different from the ownership Matt understands?
Essay Topic 3
What is the role of women in Attean's village? What does Attean say about women that help the reader understand his view of women in a community?
This section contains 809 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)