|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of story did Attean's story of Great Spirit make Matt think of?
2. After Attean visits with his grandfather, with whom does Attean return a few days later?
3. In the morning at the village, what makes the thumping sound that Matt notices?
4. What is the story about that Attean tells Matt?
5. As Matt and Attean take leave of each other, who does Matt say he would like Attean's grandfather to meet?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the conflict Matt faces when Saknis invites him to come along on the hunt with his people as Attean's brother?
2. As Matt misses his family and Christmas nears, how do his memories work for him?
3. What evidence is there that Matt's relationship with the Indians fulfilled a familial longing?
4. How is Matt's acceptance of the manitou indicative of his growing respect for the Indian culture?
5. Since Matt has spent time with the Indians, how is he better able to make provisions for the winter?
6. What is the explanation for Attean not eating the bear and how does he seem to feel about this?
7. What does Matt do at the end of Chapter 24 that suggests he has adequately prepared for winter?
8. What is Matt's reaction to Attean's explanation of his grandmother's hatred of white men?
9. When Matt comes upon the Attean's dog in the trap, he knows he is in the land of the turtle and should not tamper with anything there. Why does he knowingly go against the law that Attean taught him?
10. How do the setting and details that the author uses to describe autumn work to match Matt's mood when he recognizes that his family is past due?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Much of Matt and Attean's time is spent preparing to hunt, talking about hunting, or actually hunting. What is there about hunting that brings out all the aspects of friendship that must be dealt with before actually becoming friends?
Essay Topic 2
In The Sign of the Beaver, Saknis, an older Indian, appears to befriend Matt. In addition to Matt's father's teachings, how is it evident that Saknis is a good and trustworthy person?
Essay Topic 3
At the beginning of The Sign of the Beaver, Matt is a child in his father's care. Although he has learned the lessons his father and his parents have taught him, discuss the immature side of Matt and give examples of his behaviors or early relations with people that suggest that he is still a child.
This section contains 803 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)