|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Matt finally finishes telling the story of Robinson Crusoe to Attean, what does Attean say?
2. What does Attean do as he leaves Matt at the cabin in Chapter 21?
3. What does Matt throw at the bear?
4. What is Attean permitted to eat during his stay alone in the forest?
5. After Matt's fun-filled day at Attean's village, how long does Matt wait before he sees Attean again?
Short Essay Questions
1. Even though they are husband and wife, why do Saknis's feelings about the white man differ from the feelings of Attean's grandmother?
2. When Attean comes to say farewell, why does Matt to give Attean his father's watch and not the book?
3. What does Matt do at the end of Chapter 24 that suggests he has adequately prepared for winter?
4. What is the conflict Matt faces when Saknis invites him to come along on the hunt with his people as Attean's brother?
5. Matt gets considerable reassurance of his acceptance in Chapter 22 when Attean renews his invitation to Matt to join them to find a new hunting ground. How does Matt's response please and simultaneously disappoint Attean?
6. When Attean takes Matt around to see the Indian women working, why is this work of such interest to Matt and of little interest to Attean?
7. How is Matt and Attean's use of each other's language symbolic of their relationship?
8. How does Matt's reaction to the cleanup being relegated to squaws indicate that he is more accepting of cultural differences?
9. Why is Matt "delighted" to know that Attean tells the story to his brothers?
10. How do the setting and details that the author uses to describe autumn work to match Matt's mood when he recognizes that his family is past due?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Much of Matt and Attean's time is spent preparing to hunt, talking about hunting, or actually hunting. What is there about hunting that brings out all the aspects of friendship that must be dealt with before actually becoming friends?
Essay Topic 2
What is the role of women in Attean's village? What does Attean say about women that help the reader understand his view of women in a community?
Essay Topic 3
The road to friendship is a gradual sometimes--especially when there is mistrust and resentment. How does Matt overcome his mistrust of Attean? How does Attean overcome his resentment of white people?
This section contains 745 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)