|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Matt hesitate to ask Attean for more stories?
2. Who sends Matt a basket of maple sugar?
3. As winter approaches, what does Matt use to fill in the cracks between the logs in the cabin?
4. For what reason does Matt think Attean returns each day?
5. On this day that he has trouble opening the door, what food that his mother makes does Matt miss?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do the setting and details that the author uses to describe autumn work to match Matt's mood when he recognizes that his family is past due?
2. How is Matt and Attean's use of each other's language symbolic of their relationship?
3. Matt gets considerable reassurance of his acceptance in Chapter 22 when Attean renews his invitation to Matt to join them to find a new hunting ground. How does Matt's response please and simultaneously disappoint Attean?
4. When Matt comes upon the Attean's dog in the trap, he knows he is in the land of the turtle and should not tamper with anything there. Why does he knowingly go against the law that Attean taught him?
5. What is the explanation for Attean not eating the bear and how does he seem to feel about this?
6. Since Matt has spent time with the Indians, how is he better able to make provisions for the winter?
7. Attean tells Matt that it is the white man who introduced metal traps to the Indians. What does the trap symbolize to Attean?
8. What evidence is there that Matt's relationship with the Indians fulfilled a familial longing?
9. How does Matt's reaction to the cleanup being relegated to squaws indicate that he is more accepting of cultural differences?
10. How is Matt's acceptance of the manitou indicative of his growing respect for the Indian culture?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How might Attean's mannerisms or brusque speaking patterns heighten Matt's uneasiness about Attean's motives or his intentions? In order to answer this adequately, refer directly to instances of Attean's actions or words.
Essay Topic 2
The Sign of the Beaver is a piece of historical fiction. The basic dilemmas of Attean and his people were the dilemmas and tragedies of the native Americans in the times of westward expansion. What do you think of the author's decision to have Attean and his people leave before Matt's family could meet them?
Essay Topic 3
Even though Saknis is responsible for bringing up Attean, are there any significant ways in which Saknis and Attean are different? How does the reader sense the mutual love and respect they have for each other?
This section contains 803 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)