|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Mat finally makes it outside, he does so by making a kind of tool that is similar to what?
2. Who goes with Matt to rescue the dog?
3. What is the next book that Matt has to get his adventures from?
4. From what does Matt make a pair of mittens for himself?
5. In what game that he plays with the Indians is Matt most successful?
Short Essay Questions
1. Since Matt has spent time with the Indians, how is he better able to make provisions for the winter?
2. When Attean takes Matt around to see the Indian women working, why is this work of such interest to Matt and of little interest to Attean?
3. What is the explanation for Attean not eating the bear and how does he seem to feel about this?
4. When Attean comes to say farewell, why does Matt to give Attean his father's watch and not the book?
5. What is the conflict Matt faces when Saknis invites him to come along on the hunt with his people as Attean's brother?
6. Why is it ironic that Matt wonders how the Great Spirit that the Indians worship seem to be like the Indians themselves--i.e. a mighty hunter, very strong?
7. How does the celebration of the bear kill at Attean's village actually work to lessen friction over cultural differences?
8. What evidence is there that Matt's relationship with the Indians fulfilled a familial longing?
9. What is Matt's reaction to Attean's explanation of his grandmother's hatred of white men?
10. Attean tells Matt that it is the white man who introduced metal traps to the Indians. What does the trap symbolize to Attean?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In the beginning of The Sign of the Beaver when Attean and Matt first meet, they are boys who are the same age and of very different cultures. In terms of their early relationship, that is until Attean becomes a man, compare and contrast these two young men.
Essay Topic 2
Attean does not seem to understand Matt's concept of land ownership and he dismisses treaties that his people had with the white men as worthless. How then does he come to have a different opinion of the markings that tribes put on trees to designate their hunting grounds. How is this concept different from the ownership Matt understands?
Essay Topic 3
At the beginning of The Sign of the Beaver, Matt is a child in his father's care. Although he has learned the lessons his father and his parents have taught him, discuss the immature side of Matt and give examples of his behaviors or early relations with people that suggest that he is still a child.
This section contains 804 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)