|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Matt walks in the woods, how does he find his way?
2. When Matt wakes up after the celebration at Attean's village, what does Matt NOT see hanging or laying around?
3. After Attean visits with his grandfather, with whom does Attean return a few days later?
4. As Matt and Attean take leave of each other, who does Matt say he would like Attean's grandfather to meet?
5. Who makes Matt a new pair of snowshoes?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Matt's reaction to Attean's explanation of his grandmother's hatred of white men?
2. Even though they are husband and wife, why do Saknis's feelings about the white man differ from the feelings of Attean's grandmother?
3. When Attean takes Matt around to see the Indian women working, why is this work of such interest to Matt and of little interest to Attean?
4. Why is Matt "delighted" to know that Attean tells the story to his brothers?
5. When Attean comes to say farewell, why does Matt to give Attean his father's watch and not the book?
6. How does the celebration of the bear kill at Attean's village actually work to lessen friction over cultural differences?
7. Attean tells Matt that it is the white man who introduced metal traps to the Indians. What does the trap symbolize to Attean?
8. How is Matt's acceptance of the manitou indicative of his growing respect for the Indian culture?
9. How does Saknis receive Matt's declining the invitation to go on the hunt with his people?
10. What is the explanation for Attean not eating the bear and how does he seem to feel about this?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
At one point, both Saknis and Attean call Matt the white brother of Attean. Why is this term "brother" used by them here? How is being named a "brother" different than being called a "friend"? Why do they come to think Matt deserves this name?
Essay Topic 2
In Matt's cabin, in addition to Robinson Crusoe, he also has the Bible. When Matt retells Attean a story from the Bible, Attean accepts it much better than the Robinson Crusoe story. What is it about the story of Noah's Ark that is ultimately more acceptable to Attean?
Essay Topic 3
The road to friendship is a gradual sometimes--especially when there is mistrust and resentment. How does Matt overcome his mistrust of Attean? How does Attean overcome his resentment of white people?
This section contains 822 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)