|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Gluskabe?
2. From what does Matt make a pair of mittens for himself?
3. Who does Attean say will come to cut up and clean the bear?
4. In addition to mittens, what else does Matt want fur for?
5. As Matt realizes it is September, what sign of fall does he NOT encounter?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Saknis receive Matt's declining the invitation to go on the hunt with his people?
2. As Matt misses his family and Christmas nears, how do his memories work for him?
3. How do the setting and details that the author uses to describe autumn work to match Matt's mood when he recognizes that his family is past due?
4. Why is it ironic that Matt wonders how the Great Spirit that the Indians worship seem to be like the Indians themselves--i.e. a mighty hunter, very strong?
5. Attean tells Matt that it is the white man who introduced metal traps to the Indians. What does the trap symbolize to Attean?
6. How does the celebration of the bear kill at Attean's village actually work to lessen friction over cultural differences?
7. How is Matt's acceptance of the manitou indicative of his growing respect for the Indian culture?
8. When Attean takes Matt around to see the Indian women working, why is this work of such interest to Matt and of little interest to Attean?
9. Why is Matt "delighted" to know that Attean tells the story to his brothers?
10. When Matt comes upon the Attean's dog in the trap, he knows he is in the land of the turtle and should not tamper with anything there. Why does he knowingly go against the law that Attean taught him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss whether the conflict of man against man or man against nature is the framework for the basic conflict in The Sign of the Beaver.
Essay Topic 2
Why is Attean's explanation of the manitou and Matt's understanding and concern for it a significant turning point in their relationship?
Essay Topic 3
In the beginning of The Sign of the Beaver when Attean and Matt first meet, they are boys who are the same age and of very different cultures. In terms of their early relationship, that is until Attean becomes a man, compare and contrast these two young men.
This section contains 779 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)