|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What English word does Attean offer as a rough translation of his word "manitou"?
2. When Attean visits Matt after his manitou, what is he carrying?
3. Why does Matt hesitate to ask Attean for more stories?
4. What does Matt feel as he leaves Attean's grandmother after the day at the village?
5. As Matt thinks about the time of year, what day does he think most about?
Essay Topic 1
At one point, both Saknis and Attean call Matt the white brother of Attean. Why is this term "brother" used by them here? How is being named a "brother" different than being called a "friend"? Why do they come to think Matt deserves this name?
Essay Topic 2
Why is Attean's explanation of the manitou and Matt's understanding and concern for it a significant turning point in their relationship?
Essay Topic 3
The wilderness is the setting of the novel, The Sign of the Beaver. In this novel, the wilderness is more than a backdrop for the action; it is a force. Discuss how the wilderness as it is described various times in the novel has the power to challenge, to motivate, to please, and to frighten characters. Use at least three specific examples from the text to show the role the wilderness plays in this novel.
This section contains 1,058 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)