|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. If Attean does not come back to the village having completed his tasks successfully, how will his village view him?
2. At the beginning of Chapter 24, Mat gazes up to the sky and talks to the dog. What does he talk about?
3. What does Matt feel as he leaves Attean's grandmother after the day at the village?
4. When Attean visits Matt after his manitou, who accompanies him?
5. Why does Matt hesitate to ask Attean for more stories?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the conflict Matt faces when Saknis invites him to come along on the hunt with his people as Attean's brother?
2. What evidence is there that Matt's relationship with the Indians fulfilled a familial longing?
3. When Attean takes Matt around to see the Indian women working, why is this work of such interest to Matt and of little interest to Attean?
4. How does the celebration of the bear kill at Attean's village actually work to lessen friction over cultural differences?
5. Why is it ironic that Matt wonders how the Great Spirit that the Indians worship seem to be like the Indians themselves--i.e. a mighty hunter, very strong?
6. When Matt comes upon the Attean's dog in the trap, he knows he is in the land of the turtle and should not tamper with anything there. Why does he knowingly go against the law that Attean taught him?
7. When Attean comes to say farewell, why does Matt to give Attean his father's watch and not the book?
8. How is Matt's acceptance of the manitou indicative of his growing respect for the Indian culture?
9. In spite of Attean not being in high spirits, he visits Matt shortly before his manitou. What is the significance of this visit at this time?
10. What does Matt do at the end of Chapter 24 that suggests he has adequately prepared for winter?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In the beginning of The Sign of the Beaver when Attean and Matt first meet, they are boys who are the same age and of very different cultures. In terms of their early relationship, that is until Attean becomes a man, compare and contrast these two young men.
Essay Topic 2
Until Matt read Robinson Crusoe to Attean, it was just the story of an adventure. What does Matt himself learn from reading Robinson Crusoe through Attean's eyes? How does the book ultimately become an educational tool for Matt?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss whether the conflict of man against man or man against nature is the framework for the basic conflict in The Sign of the Beaver.
This section contains 868 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)