|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. As Matt and Attean take leave of each other, who does Matt say he would like Attean's grandfather to meet?
2. What does Matt feel as he leaves Attean's grandmother after the day at the village?
3. At the beginning of Chapter 15, what animal does Matt successfully kill with his bow and arrow?
4. In addition to mittens, what else does Matt want fur for?
5. Who goes with Matt to rescue the dog?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Attean comes to say farewell, why does Matt to give Attean his father's watch and not the book?
2. After a day of hard play in the Indian village, Matt is physically sore but content. Explain these two apparently contradicting feelings.
3. What does Matt do at the end of Chapter 24 that suggests he has adequately prepared for winter?
4. Why is it ironic that Matt wonders how the Great Spirit that the Indians worship seem to be like the Indians themselves--i.e. a mighty hunter, very strong?
5. In spite of Attean not being in high spirits, he visits Matt shortly before his manitou. What is the significance of this visit at this time?
6. As Matt misses his family and Christmas nears, how do his memories work for him?
7. How does Saknis receive Matt's declining the invitation to go on the hunt with his people?
8. When Matt comes upon the Attean's dog in the trap, he knows he is in the land of the turtle and should not tamper with anything there. Why does he knowingly go against the law that Attean taught him?
9. How does Matt's reaction to the cleanup being relegated to squaws indicate that he is more accepting of cultural differences?
10. Even though they are husband and wife, why do Saknis's feelings about the white man differ from the feelings of Attean's grandmother?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
At one point, both Saknis and Attean call Matt the white brother of Attean. Why is this term "brother" used by them here? How is being named a "brother" different than being called a "friend"? Why do they come to think Matt deserves this name?
Essay Topic 2
There are four instances in the book that deal with metal traps--early on there is Ben and his trapping for furs; there is Attean explaining how they cannot take the fox from a trap on another tribe's hunting ground; there is releasing the dog from the metal trap. How do these traps and rules around them illustrate the conflict between the white man and the Indian and each other's rules?
Essay Topic 3
In the beginning of The Sign of the Beaver when Attean and Matt first meet, they are boys who are the same age and of very different cultures. In terms of their early relationship, that is until Attean becomes a man, compare and contrast these two young men.
This section contains 829 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)