|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Attean teach Matt that he could make a rain cape from?
2. After Attean visits with his grandfather, with whom does Attean return a few days later?
3. After Matt's fun-filled day at Attean's village, how long does Matt wait before he sees Attean again?
4. What does Matt say that he thought of the Indian way of life before he actually visited them?
5. What prevents Matt from opening the cabin door to go outside?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Matt and Attean tell each other stories. Explain the importance of their knowing each other's stories and extend this by explaining the importance of people knowing the stories (such as the tales, the fables, the myths) of other cultures.
Essay Topic 2
In The Sign of the Beaver, Saknis, an older Indian, appears to befriend Matt. In addition to Matt's father's teachings, how is it evident that Saknis is a good and trustworthy person?
Essay Topic 3
In Chapter 17 Matt learns Attean's personal history. How is this personal history lesson more powerful to Matt than other lessons about Indians he has learned in the past?
This section contains 1,051 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)