|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Attean bring Matt when he enters the house in Chapter 7?
2. Who is Saknis?
3. How many children are living with Matt's mother?
4. In what territory do Matt and his family live?
5. What fruit does Matt find nearby?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Attean's method for retracing his path in the woods that he tries to instill in Matt?
2. Explain why the reader senses that Matt's rescuer is kind and that Matt is safe.
3. At the end of Chapter 10, Matt comments that Attean has smiled his first genuine smile. One must infer the reason for this smile. What is the reason behind this smile?
4. In Chapter 11, the reader comes upon the explanation of the title of the novel, "the sign of the beaver." What is the sign of the beaver?
5. Attean, to say the least, is uncooperative in his first reading lesson. Explain his behavior and the feelings behind this behavior.
6. How do Saknis and his grandson differ in their opinions of the white man?
7. Why is the absence of the rifle so terrible for Matt?
8. Explain how Matt's appetite might be considered the impetus for the action of Chapter 5, when he is attacked by bees?
9. How is Matt more apt to question slavery now when reading with Attean and never before?
10. How is Matt's experience of learning how to make a bow different from the other hunting lessons of Attean so far in the story?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The wilderness is the setting of the novel, The Sign of the Beaver. In this novel, the wilderness is more than a backdrop for the action; it is a force. Discuss how the wilderness as it is described various times in the novel has the power to challenge, to motivate, to please, and to frighten characters. Use at least three specific examples from the text to show the role the wilderness plays in this novel.
Essay Topic 2
Why is Attean's explanation of the manitou and Matt's understanding and concern for it a significant turning point in their relationship?
Essay Topic 3
Until Matt read Robinson Crusoe to Attean, it was just the story of an adventure. What does Matt himself learn from reading Robinson Crusoe through Attean's eyes? How does the book ultimately become an educational tool for Matt?
This section contains 779 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)