|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Saknis?
2. What is it that Attean had to find before he could teach hunting to Matt?
3. How old will Matt be in seven weeks from the day his father leaves?
4. What is Matt's bed made of?
5. When Matt and Attean arrive in a part of the woods, Matt has never been in, where do they see the sign of the beaver?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain why the reader senses that Matt's rescuer is kind and that Matt is safe.
2. Despite Matt's gun being gone, what is happens in Chapter 4 that suggests that Matt is in good spirits?
3. Explain whether Matt is jealous of Attean's fishing skills.
4. How does Matt deal with his disappointment in not hitting the red squirrel that he sets out to kill for food?
5. After fishing and managing to catch four fish, how is Matt's good mood quickly ruined?
6. Why might Attean be so uninterested in learning to read and write the English language?
7. At the end of Chapter 10, Matt comments that Attean has smiled his first genuine smile. One must infer the reason for this smile. What is the reason behind this smile?
8. How does Matt's father's teachings help Matt when he is alone?
9. How does the story of Robinson Crusoe become more than a reading book for Attean and Matt?
10. Characterize the relationship that develops between Saknis and Matt.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
At the beginning of The Sign of the Beaver, Matt is a child in his father's care. Although he has learned the lessons his father and his parents have taught him, discuss the immature side of Matt and give examples of his behaviors or early relations with people that suggest that he is still a child.
Essay Topic 2
The Sign of the Beaver is a piece of historical fiction. The basic dilemmas of Attean and his people were the dilemmas and tragedies of the native Americans in the times of westward expansion. What do you think of the author's decision to have Attean and his people leave before Matt's family could meet them?
Essay Topic 3
Much of Matt and Attean's time is spent preparing to hunt, talking about hunting, or actually hunting. What is there about hunting that brings out all the aspects of friendship that must be dealt with before actually becoming friends?
This section contains 792 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)