|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the main source of noise Matt notices in the woods?
2. After the cabin break-in, what food does Matt find that he is particularly tired of?
3. What part of Robinson Crusoe does Matt begin Attean's lesson on the the second day of reading classes?
4. When Matt asks Attean to show him how to kill a rabbit, what is it that piqued his interest in learning to hunt as Attean?
5. What is the first word that Matt hears the stranger speak?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Attean's method for retracing his path in the woods that he tries to instill in Matt?
2. Why is it ironic that Matt wonders how the Great Spirit that the Indians worship seem to be like the Indians themselves--i.e. a mighty hunter, very strong?
3. What does the last sentence of the chapter mean, "So he was not so quick-witted as he should have been when unexpectedly someone arrived"?
4. What specifically causes Matt's accident and pain?
5. Explain whether Matt is jealous of Attean's fishing skills.
6. How do Saknis and his grandson differ in their opinions of the white man?
7. Why might Attean be so uninterested in learning to read and write the English language?
8. When Attean takes Matt around to see the Indian women working, why is this work of such interest to Matt and of little interest to Attean?
9. In what ways does Matt reveal his maturity in this first chapter?
10. Explain how Matt's appetite might be considered the impetus for the action of Chapter 5, when he is attacked by bees?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why is Attean's explanation of the manitou and Matt's understanding and concern for it a significant turning point in their relationship?
Essay Topic 2
At the beginning of The Sign of the Beaver, Matt is a child in his father's care. Although he has learned the lessons his father and his parents have taught him, discuss the immature side of Matt and give examples of his behaviors or early relations with people that suggest that he is still a child.
Essay Topic 3
The road to friendship is a gradual sometimes--especially when there is mistrust and resentment. How does Matt overcome his mistrust of Attean? How does Attean overcome his resentment of white people?
This section contains 1,630 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)