|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. On the first trip that Attean and Matt make into the woods to hunt rabbits, what weapon did Attean bring?
2. What does the stranger say about the quality of the construction of Matt's cabin?
3. After the boys both catch fish, how does Attean start a fire?
4. When Attean invites Matt to go fishing, what does Attean stop on the way to make?
5. What are less of a nuisance to Matt now that it is July?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Saknis and his grandson differ in their opinions of the white man?
2. In what ways does Matt reveal his maturity in this first chapter?
3. After fishing and managing to catch four fish, how is Matt's good mood quickly ruined?
4. What is Attean's method for retracing his path in the woods that he tries to instill in Matt?
5. At the end of Chapter 10, Matt comments that Attean has smiled his first genuine smile. One must infer the reason for this smile. What is the reason behind this smile?
6. In Chapter 11, the reader comes upon the explanation of the title of the novel, "the sign of the beaver." What is the sign of the beaver?
7. Looking back to how Matt first meets the man who calls himself Ben, what is Matt's first mistake regarding this man?
8. What does Matt reveal in the narration that reveals how sensitive he is to being without a gun?
9. The first relationship the reader witnesses is the one between Matt and his father. Describe their relationship.
10. Why is the absence of the rifle so terrible for Matt?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The road to friendship is a gradual sometimes--especially when there is mistrust and resentment. How does Matt overcome his mistrust of Attean? How does Attean overcome his resentment of white people?
Essay Topic 2
There are four instances in the book that deal with metal traps--early on there is Ben and his trapping for furs; there is Attean explaining how they cannot take the fox from a trap on another tribe's hunting ground; there is releasing the dog from the metal trap. How do these traps and rules around them illustrate the conflict between the white man and the Indian and each other's rules?
Essay Topic 3
At one point, both Saknis and Attean call Matt the white brother of Attean. Why is this term "brother" used by them here? How is being named a "brother" different than being called a "friend"? Why do they come to think Matt deserves this name?
This section contains 887 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)