|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. On the morning after his guest spends the night in his cabin, what does Matt discover is missing?
2. What is it in the story of Robinson Crusoe that angered Attean?
3. What part of Robinson Crusoe does Matt begin Attean's lesson on the the second day of reading classes?
4. What does the stranger say about the quality of the construction of Matt's cabin?
5. What does Matt try to salvage after the break-in that is now mixed with dirt?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain why the reader senses that Matt's rescuer is kind and that Matt is safe.
2. How might one evaluate the stories Ben tells of living with the Indians and fighting the French?
3. What specifically causes Matt's accident and pain?
4. How does Matt's garden experience prove to be frustrating?
5. How does the story of Robinson Crusoe become more than a reading book for Attean and Matt?
6. Some might say that by heeding his father's advice Matt makes a mistake. How might one blame Matt's father for Matt being duped?
7. How does Matt's father's teachings help Matt when he is alone?
8. How is Matt's experience of learning how to make a bow different from the other hunting lessons of Attean so far in the story?
9. What does Matt reveal in the narration that reveals how sensitive he is to being without a gun?
10. Why might Attean be so uninterested in learning to read and write the English language?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Matt and Attean tell each other stories. Explain the importance of their knowing each other's stories and extend this by explaining the importance of people knowing the stories (such as the tales, the fables, the myths) of other cultures.
Essay Topic 2
At the beginning of The Sign of the Beaver, Matt is a child in his father's care. Although he has learned the lessons his father and his parents have taught him, discuss the immature side of Matt and give examples of his behaviors or early relations with people that suggest that he is still a child.
Essay Topic 3
There are four instances in the book that deal with metal traps--early on there is Ben and his trapping for furs; there is Attean explaining how they cannot take the fox from a trap on another tribe's hunting ground; there is releasing the dog from the metal trap. How do these traps and rules around them illustrate the conflict between the white man and the Indian and each other's rules?
This section contains 835 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)