|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long does Matt estimate that it will take Attean to learn his lessons?
2. What word does Attean use to describe Crusoe when Crusoe goes back to the ship?
3. What does Attean bring Matt when he enters the house in Chapter 7?
4. What is the first word that Matt hears the stranger speak?
5. How does Matt know that the stranger intends to stay the night?
Short Essay Questions
1. How dies Matt discover that he can overcome his loneliness?
2. How does Matt's remark about shooting squirrels remind the reader that Matt is still a child?
3. In what ways does Matt reveal his maturity in this first chapter?
4. How does Matt's garden experience prove to be frustrating?
5. What is the conflict Matt faces when Saknis invites him to come along on the hunt with his people as Attean's brother?
6. What is Matt's reaction to Attean's explanation of his grandmother's hatred of white men?
7. Attean tells Matt that it is the white man who introduced metal traps to the Indians. What does the trap symbolize to Attean?
8. Characterize the relationship that develops between Saknis and Matt.
9. How is Matt and Attean's use of each other's language symbolic of their relationship?
10. When Attean takes Matt around to see the Indian women working, why is this work of such interest to Matt and of little interest to Attean?
Essay Topic 1
There are four instances in the book that deal with metal traps--early on there is Ben and his trapping for furs; there is Attean explaining how they cannot take the fox from a trap on another tribe's hunting ground; there is releasing the dog from the metal trap. How do these traps and rules around them illustrate the conflict between the white man and the Indian and each other's rules?
Essay Topic 2
Even though Saknis is responsible for bringing up Attean, are there any significant ways in which Saknis and Attean are different? How does the reader sense the mutual love and respect they have for each other?
Essay Topic 3
What is the role of women in Attean's village? What does Attean say about women that help the reader understand his view of women in a community?
This section contains 1,566 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)