|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Matt decide that the cause of the break-in couldn't be Indians?
2. What does Attean bring Matt when he enters the house in Chapter 7?
3. What does Attean make hooks from when Matt loses his fish hook?
4. What does the sign of the beaver designate?
5. How might one characterize the way in which Matt and Attean work together in the forest to create a weapon?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the last sentence of the chapter mean, "So he was not so quick-witted as he should have been when unexpectedly someone arrived"?
2. How dies Matt discover that he can overcome his loneliness?
3. Characterize the relationship that develops between Saknis and Matt.
4. How might one evaluate the stories Ben tells of living with the Indians and fighting the French?
5. How is Matt's experience of learning how to make a bow different from the other hunting lessons of Attean so far in the story?
6. In Chapter 11, the reader comes upon the explanation of the title of the novel, "the sign of the beaver." What is the sign of the beaver?
7. Explain why the reader senses that Matt's rescuer is kind and that Matt is safe.
8. How does Matt intend to deal with his loneliness?
9. The first relationship the reader witnesses is the one between Matt and his father. Describe their relationship.
10. After fishing and managing to catch four fish, how is Matt's good mood quickly ruined?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In Matt's cabin, in addition to Robinson Crusoe, he also has the Bible. When Matt retells Attean a story from the Bible, Attean accepts it much better than the Robinson Crusoe story. What is it about the story of Noah's Ark that is ultimately more acceptable to Attean?
Essay Topic 2
Until Matt read Robinson Crusoe to Attean, it was just the story of an adventure. What does Matt himself learn from reading Robinson Crusoe through Attean's eyes? How does the book ultimately become an educational tool for Matt?
Essay Topic 3
Why is Attean's explanation of the manitou and Matt's understanding and concern for it a significant turning point in their relationship?
This section contains 766 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)