|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. At the beginning of Chapter 12, what does Matt wake up and decide he wants?
2. What does Attean bring Matt when he enters the house in Chapter 7?
3. How many children are living with Matt's mother?
4. Who is with Matt in the woods as the story begins?
5. What is the reason for the oil that Attean spreads on his body and hair?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Matt more apt to question slavery now when reading with Attean and never before?
2. How does Matt intend to deal with his loneliness?
3. Explain how Matt's appetite might be considered the impetus for the action of Chapter 5, when he is attacked by bees?
4. At the end of Chapter 10, Matt comments that Attean has smiled his first genuine smile. One must infer the reason for this smile. What is the reason behind this smile?
5. How might one evaluate the stories Ben tells of living with the Indians and fighting the French?
6. Looking back to how Matt first meets the man who calls himself Ben, what is Matt's first mistake regarding this man?
7. What does Matt reveal in the narration that reveals how sensitive he is to being without a gun?
8. After fishing and managing to catch four fish, how is Matt's good mood quickly ruined?
9. Explain whether Matt is jealous of Attean's fishing skills.
10. How dies Matt discover that he can overcome his loneliness?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How might Attean's mannerisms or brusque speaking patterns heighten Matt's uneasiness about Attean's motives or his intentions? In order to answer this adequately, refer directly to instances of Attean's actions or words.
Essay Topic 2
What is the role of women in Attean's village? What does Attean say about women that help the reader understand his view of women in a community?
Essay Topic 3
Until Matt read Robinson Crusoe to Attean, it was just the story of an adventure. What does Matt himself learn from reading Robinson Crusoe through Attean's eyes? How does the book ultimately become an educational tool for Matt?
This section contains 732 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)