|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Attean explains the meaning of the sign of the beaver, what does Matt think of this meaning?
2. When Matt asks Attean to show him how to kill a rabbit, what is it that piqued his interest in learning to hunt as Attean?
3. What is the first thing Matt prepares to teach Attean?
4. What is Matt's bed made of?
5. After the incident with the bees, what is the main source of Matt's pain?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Attean's method for retracing his path in the woods that he tries to instill in Matt?
2. Looking back to how Matt first meets the man who calls himself Ben, what is Matt's first mistake regarding this man?
3. Characterize the relationship that develops between Saknis and Matt.
4. Attean, to say the least, is uncooperative in his first reading lesson. Explain his behavior and the feelings behind this behavior.
5. In what ways does Matt reveal his maturity in this first chapter?
6. Why does Matt blame himself for the bear's intrusion into his cabin?
7. Some might say that by heeding his father's advice Matt makes a mistake. How might one blame Matt's father for Matt being duped?
8. Matt wakes in the morning dreading the task of teaching Attean to read. Explain the reason for this dread and whether it is justified.
9. The first relationship the reader witnesses is the one between Matt and his father. Describe their relationship.
10. How do Saknis and his grandson differ in their opinions of the white man?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The wilderness is the setting of the novel, The Sign of the Beaver. In this novel, the wilderness is more than a backdrop for the action; it is a force. Discuss how the wilderness as it is described various times in the novel has the power to challenge, to motivate, to please, and to frighten characters. Use at least three specific examples from the text to show the role the wilderness plays in this novel.
Essay Topic 2
In The Sign of the Beaver, Saknis, an older Indian, appears to befriend Matt. In addition to Matt's father's teachings, how is it evident that Saknis is a good and trustworthy person?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss whether the conflict of man against man or man against nature is the framework for the basic conflict in The Sign of the Beaver.
This section contains 947 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)