|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the stranger ask for that Matt doesn't have?
2. What does Attean bring Matt when he enters the house in Chapter 7?
3. Where is Matt taken after he is rescued from the bees?
4. What does Saknis make for Matt that is made of wood?
5. Where does Matt's father tell him that the bees near Loon Pond are from?
Short Essay Questions
1. Looking back to how Matt first meets the man who calls himself Ben, what is Matt's first mistake regarding this man?
2. Why might Attean be so uninterested in learning to read and write the English language?
3. How dies Matt discover that he can overcome his loneliness?
4. How might one evaluate the stories Ben tells of living with the Indians and fighting the French?
5. Despite Matt's gun being gone, what is happens in Chapter 4 that suggests that Matt is in good spirits?
6. How does Matt's garden experience prove to be frustrating?
7. Why does Matt blame himself for the bear's intrusion into his cabin?
8. Some might say that by heeding his father's advice Matt makes a mistake. How might one blame Matt's father for Matt being duped?
9. What specifically causes Matt's accident and pain?
10. How do Saknis and his grandson differ in their opinions of the white man?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Sign of the Beaver is a piece of historical fiction. The basic dilemmas of Attean and his people were the dilemmas and tragedies of the native Americans in the times of westward expansion. What do you think of the author's decision to have Attean and his people leave before Matt's family could meet them?
Essay Topic 2
In Matt's cabin, in addition to Robinson Crusoe, he also has the Bible. When Matt retells Attean a story from the Bible, Attean accepts it much better than the Robinson Crusoe story. What is it about the story of Noah's Ark that is ultimately more acceptable to Attean?
Essay Topic 3
Matt and Attean tell each other stories. Explain the importance of their knowing each other's stories and extend this by explaining the importance of people knowing the stories (such as the tales, the fables, the myths) of other cultures.
This section contains 732 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)