|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What food supply is kept in a barrel in the cabin?
2. When Attean invites Matt to go fishing, what does Attean stop on the way to make?
3. Although Matt was discouraged, what does he decide to do after he cleans up after the break in?
4. In the passage that Matt reads, why does Crusoe return to his ship?
5. According to the stranger, what life experiences does this man have?
Short Essay Questions
1. What specifically causes Matt's accident and pain?
2. Why does Matt blame himself for the bear's intrusion into his cabin?
3. What is Attean's method for retracing his path in the woods that he tries to instill in Matt?
4. How might one evaluate the stories Ben tells of living with the Indians and fighting the French?
5. How does Matt's father's teachings help Matt when he is alone?
6. Why is the absence of the rifle so terrible for Matt?
7. Some might say that by heeding his father's advice Matt makes a mistake. How might one blame Matt's father for Matt being duped?
8. Why might one argue that Matt underestimates the danger the bees could cause him when he is planning to get some honey?
9. How is Matt's experience of learning how to make a bow different from the other hunting lessons of Attean so far in the story?
10. In Chapter 11, the reader comes upon the explanation of the title of the novel, "the sign of the beaver." What is the sign of the beaver?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In the beginning of The Sign of the Beaver when Attean and Matt first meet, they are boys who are the same age and of very different cultures. In terms of their early relationship, that is until Attean becomes a man, compare and contrast these two young men.
Essay Topic 2
Until Matt read Robinson Crusoe to Attean, it was just the story of an adventure. What does Matt himself learn from reading Robinson Crusoe through Attean's eyes? How does the book ultimately become an educational tool for Matt?
Essay Topic 3
What is the role of women in Attean's village? What does Attean say about women that help the reader understand his view of women in a community?
This section contains 751 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)