|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Although Matt was discouraged, what does he decide to do after he cleans up after the break in?
2. When Attean catches a fish he feels is too small, what does he do with the fish before he releases it?
3. What is the first word that Matt hears the stranger speak?
4. What does Saknis make for Matt that is made of wood?
5. What are the two crops that Matt has evidently planted near his cabin?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Matt's experience of learning how to make a bow different from the other hunting lessons of Attean so far in the story?
2. How does the story of Robinson Crusoe become more than a reading book for Attean and Matt?
3. How is Matt's acceptance of the manitou indicative of his growing respect for the Indian culture?
4. When Attean takes Matt around to see the Indian women working, why is this work of such interest to Matt and of little interest to Attean?
5. When Matt comes upon the Attean's dog in the trap, he knows he is in the land of the turtle and should not tamper with anything there. Why does he knowingly go against the law that Attean taught him?
6. What does Matt do at the end of Chapter 24 that suggests he has adequately prepared for winter?
7. How dies Matt discover that he can overcome his loneliness?
8. Attean tells Matt that it is the white man who introduced metal traps to the Indians. What does the trap symbolize to Attean?
9. What evidence is there that Matt's relationship with the Indians fulfilled a familial longing?
10. Compare or contrast Attean and Matt as students.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In the beginning of The Sign of the Beaver when Attean and Matt first meet, they are boys who are the same age and of very different cultures. In terms of their early relationship, that is until Attean becomes a man, compare and contrast these two young men.
Essay Topic 2
Much of Matt and Attean's time is spent preparing to hunt, talking about hunting, or actually hunting. What is there about hunting that brings out all the aspects of friendship that must be dealt with before actually becoming friends?
Essay Topic 3
In Matt's cabin, in addition to Robinson Crusoe, he also has the Bible. When Matt retells Attean a story from the Bible, Attean accepts it much better than the Robinson Crusoe story. What is it about the story of Noah's Ark that is ultimately more acceptable to Attean?
This section contains 1,607 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)