|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Matt still have a few grains of in a tin after the break in?
2. Who is Attean?
3. What piece of clothing does Matt lose when he is battling the bees?
4. On the first trip that Attean and Matt make into the woods to hunt rabbits, what weapon did Attean bring?
5. When Attean catches a fish he feels is too small, what does he do with the fish before he releases it?
Short Essay Questions
1. In what ways does Matt reveal his maturity in this first chapter?
2. How does Matt's remark about shooting squirrels remind the reader that Matt is still a child?
3. Characterize the relationship that develops between Saknis and Matt.
4. How is Matt more apt to question slavery now when reading with Attean and never before?
5. Explain how Matt's appetite might be considered the impetus for the action of Chapter 5, when he is attacked by bees?
6. The first relationship the reader witnesses is the one between Matt and his father. Describe their relationship.
7. How dies Matt discover that he can overcome his loneliness?
8. After fishing and managing to catch four fish, how is Matt's good mood quickly ruined?
9. Compare or contrast Attean and Matt as students.
10. How might one evaluate the stories Ben tells of living with the Indians and fighting the French?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Even though Saknis is responsible for bringing up Attean, are there any significant ways in which Saknis and Attean are different? How does the reader sense the mutual love and respect they have for each other?
Essay Topic 2
There are four instances in the book that deal with metal traps--early on there is Ben and his trapping for furs; there is Attean explaining how they cannot take the fox from a trap on another tribe's hunting ground; there is releasing the dog from the metal trap. How do these traps and rules around them illustrate the conflict between the white man and the Indian and each other's rules?
Essay Topic 3
In Matt's cabin, in addition to Robinson Crusoe, he also has the Bible. When Matt retells Attean a story from the Bible, Attean accepts it much better than the Robinson Crusoe story. What is it about the story of Noah's Ark that is ultimately more acceptable to Attean?
This section contains 827 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)