|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Matt wish Attean had given him to show his father upon his return?
(a) A bear's tooth.
(b) A bear ear.
(c) A bear claw.
(d) A piece of bear skin.
2. What emotion does Matt imagine he sees in Attean's eyes?
3. Why does Matt hesitate to ask Attean for more stories?
(a) Matt thinks Attean is too proud of himself already.
(b) Matt wants to get back to cabin to see if his family has arrived.
(c) Matt can't understand Attean's English.
(d) Matt thinks it might be impolite.
4. What word best describes Matt's thoughts as soon as Attean and the fellow visitor leave?
5. Seconds before Matt and Attean encounter the bear, what makes Attean first sense danger?
(a) The sound of something moving slowly.
(b) The sound of something moving quickly.
(c) The sound of a cry.
(d) The branches moving.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is one of the food preparations that Matt learns from the Indian women?
2. What is the next book that Matt has to get his adventures from?
3. In addition to mittens, what else does Matt want fur for?
4. What does Matt say that he thought of the Indian way of life before he actually visited them?
5. As Matt realizes it is September, what sign of fall does he NOT encounter?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does such a violent act as killing a bear bring Matt and Attean into a relationship that for the first time seems like a friendship?
2. When Attean comes to say farewell, why does Matt to give Attean his father's watch and not the book?
3. What is the explanation for Attean not eating the bear and how does he seem to feel about this?
4. When Matt comes upon the Attean's dog in the trap, he knows he is in the land of the turtle and should not tamper with anything there. Why does he knowingly go against the law that Attean taught him?
5. Matt gets considerable reassurance of his acceptance in Chapter 22 when Attean renews his invitation to Matt to join them to find a new hunting ground. How does Matt's response please and simultaneously disappoint Attean?
6. How does the celebration of the bear kill at Attean's village actually work to lessen friction over cultural differences?
7. What is Matt's reaction to Attean's explanation of his grandmother's hatred of white men?
8. Since Matt has spent time with the Indians, how is he better able to make provisions for the winter?
9. How does Saknis receive Matt's declining the invitation to go on the hunt with his people?
10. How is Matt and Attean's use of each other's language symbolic of their relationship?
This section contains 790 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)