|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Matt first learns that he is invited to the Indian village after the dog rescue, why does he think he is invited?
(d) Cooking Lessons.
2. When Matt first arrives at the village, how does he react to the smells from the cooking?
(a) He becomes curious.
(b) He becomes frightened that he will have to eat this food that he smells.
(c) He become very hungry.
(d) He becomes lighted-headed.
3. As Matt realizes it is September, what sign of fall does he NOT encounter?
(a) The woods becoming quieter.
(b) Maple leaves turning red.
(c) Geese flying south.
(d) Indian children on their way to school.
4. When Attean appears with paint on his skin, what does Matt think?
(a) He thinks Attean has gone mad.
(b) He thinks Attean is painted for war.
(c) He thinks Attean is painted to scare Matt.
(d) He thinks Attean is painted for a celebration.
5. Before Attean leaves Matt, what gift does Matt give Attean?
(a) A shirt.
(b) The Bible.
(c) A watch.
(d) Robinson Crusoe.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who sends Matt a basket of maple sugar?
2. What animal is in the trap that they come upon?
3. What does Matt feel as he leaves Attean's grandmother after the day at the village?
4. How doesMatt first become aware of an animal being in danger?
5. When Matt hears of the atrocities that take place here in this territory, who does he think of and fear for?
Short Essay Questions
1. As Matt misses his family and Christmas nears, how do his memories work for him?
2. What does Matt do at the end of Chapter 24 that suggests he has adequately prepared for winter?
3. How do the setting and details that the author uses to describe autumn work to match Matt's mood when he recognizes that his family is past due?
4. Why is Matt "delighted" to know that Attean tells the story to his brothers?
5. What evidence is there that Matt's relationship with the Indians fulfilled a familial longing?
6. When Attean comes to say farewell, why does Matt to give Attean his father's watch and not the book?
7. Since Matt has spent time with the Indians, how is he better able to make provisions for the winter?
8. How is Matt and Attean's use of each other's language symbolic of their relationship?
9. When Matt comes upon the Attean's dog in the trap, he knows he is in the land of the turtle and should not tamper with anything there. Why does he knowingly go against the law that Attean taught him?
10. Matt gets considerable reassurance of his acceptance in Chapter 22 when Attean renews his invitation to Matt to join them to find a new hunting ground. How does Matt's response please and simultaneously disappoint Attean?
This section contains 742 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)