|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Matt goes to the Indian village for Attean and does not find Attean, who does Matt ask for?
(b) Attean's brother.
(c) Attean's grandmother.
(d) Attean's sister.
2. When Attean tells Matt that he and his family are leaving, what is the reason he gives Attean for their departure?
(a) They must move to a better hunting ground.
(b) They want to move to a warmer climate.
(c) They are tired of warring with the people of the turtle.
(d) They want to move to a more popuatled area.
3. What happens at the end of the day to Matt's shirt?
(a) It is taken from him as an intitiation.
(b) It is replaced by a new suede shirt.
(c) It is returned to him.
(d) It is repaired by a woman because it was torn earlier in play.
4. When Matt wakes up after the celebration at Attean's village, what does Matt NOT see hanging or laying around?
(a) Animal skin rugs.
(b) Fish bones.
(c) Animal bones.
(d) Clam shells.
5. Now that it is winter, how does Matt fish?
(a) He finds shallow springs that never froze and spears fish there.
(b) He jumps up and down on the ice and they swim to the thawed parts.
(c) He plants nets below the ice and then axes the ice to check nets.
(d) He digs a hole through the ice and dropps his line through it.
Short Answer Questions
1. After Attean visits with his grandfather, with whom does Attean return a few days later?
2. What does Matt temporarily "lose" in the gambling game he plays with the Indian boys?
3. Who sends Matt a basket of maple sugar?
4. For what reason does Matt think Attean returns each day?
5. What is the next book that Matt has to get his adventures from?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Matt and Attean's use of each other's language symbolic of their relationship?
2. How is Matt's acceptance of the manitou indicative of his growing respect for the Indian culture?
3. When Attean comes to say farewell, why does Matt to give Attean his father's watch and not the book?
4. How does the celebration of the bear kill at Attean's village actually work to lessen friction over cultural differences?
5. What evidence is there that Matt's relationship with the Indians fulfilled a familial longing?
6. What does Matt do at the end of Chapter 24 that suggests he has adequately prepared for winter?
7. Attean tells Matt that it is the white man who introduced metal traps to the Indians. What does the trap symbolize to Attean?
8. How does Saknis receive Matt's declining the invitation to go on the hunt with his people?
9. When Matt comes upon the Attean's dog in the trap, he knows he is in the land of the turtle and should not tamper with anything there. Why does he knowingly go against the law that Attean taught him?
10. Why is Matt "delighted" to know that Attean tells the story to his brothers?
This section contains 840 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)