|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. At the beginning of Chapter 15, what animal does Matt successfully kill with his bow and arrow?
(a) A fox.
(b) A squirrel.
(c) A rabbit.
(d) A beaver.
2. When Attean appears with paint on his skin, what does Matt think?
(a) He thinks Attean is painted for a celebration.
(b) He thinks Attean is painted for war.
(c) He thinks Attean is painted to scare Matt.
(d) He thinks Attean has gone mad.
3. Once Matt is finished outside, he relaxes with a cup of tea. From what does he make this tea?
(b) Pine cones.
(c) Spruce needles.
4. What does Matt feel as he leaves Attean's grandmother after the day at the village?
(d) Desire to stay.
5. For what reason does Matt think Attean returns each day?
(a) Attean enjoyed making Matt look foolish.
(b) Attean enjoyed teaching Matt.
(c) Attean was lonely.
(d) Attean's grandfather sent him.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who makes Matt a new pair of snowshoes?
2. After Matt's fun-filled day at Attean's village, how long does Matt wait before he sees Attean again?
3. When Matt first arrives at the village, how does he react to the smells from the cooking?
4. What does Attean bring Matt for breakfast on the morning after the celebration?
5. After Attean visits with his grandfather, with whom does Attean return a few days later?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Matt's reaction to Attean's explanation of his grandmother's hatred of white men?
2. When Attean takes Matt around to see the Indian women working, why is this work of such interest to Matt and of little interest to Attean?
3. As Matt misses his family and Christmas nears, how do his memories work for him?
4. Matt gets considerable reassurance of his acceptance in Chapter 22 when Attean renews his invitation to Matt to join them to find a new hunting ground. How does Matt's response please and simultaneously disappoint Attean?
5. Why is Matt "delighted" to know that Attean tells the story to his brothers?
6. How does Saknis receive Matt's declining the invitation to go on the hunt with his people?
7. Why is it ironic that Matt wonders how the Great Spirit that the Indians worship seem to be like the Indians themselves--i.e. a mighty hunter, very strong?
8. When Attean comes to say farewell, why does Matt to give Attean his father's watch and not the book?
9. Since Matt has spent time with the Indians, how is he better able to make provisions for the winter?
10. How is Matt and Attean's use of each other's language symbolic of their relationship?
This section contains 747 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)