|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What animal is in the trap that they come upon?
(a) A squirrel.
(b) A beaver.
(c) A rabbit.
(d) A fox.
2. What emotion does Matt imagine he sees in Attean's eyes?
3. As Matt thinks about the time of year, what day does he think most about?
(a) His birthday.
(c) His sister, Sarah's irthday.
4. When Matt daydreams of being a hero to Attean, what does he imagine rescuing Attean from?
(a) A pack of bears.
(b) A bear, a panther or a rattlesnake.
(c) A pack of fox.
(d) A pack of hyenas.
5. What does Attean do as he leaves Matt at the cabin in Chapter 21?
(a) He just walks out.
(b) He hugs Matt and calls him his brother.
(c) He gives him a small gift in a leather pouch.
(d) He extends his hand to shake hands.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Matt finally finishes telling the story of Robinson Crusoe to Attean, what does Attean say?
2. How many arrows does Attean use to kill the bear?
3. Who sends Matt a basket of maple sugar?
4. What English word does Attean offer as a rough translation of his word "manitou"?
5. What do the rescuers use to prevent the dog from biting while they get it out of the trap?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do the setting and details that the author uses to describe autumn work to match Matt's mood when he recognizes that his family is past due?
2. What is Matt's reaction to Attean's explanation of his grandmother's hatred of white men?
3. How does such a violent act as killing a bear bring Matt and Attean into a relationship that for the first time seems like a friendship?
4. Since Matt has spent time with the Indians, how is he better able to make provisions for the winter?
5. What evidence is there that Matt's relationship with the Indians fulfilled a familial longing?
6. In spite of Attean not being in high spirits, he visits Matt shortly before his manitou. What is the significance of this visit at this time?
7. How is Matt and Attean's use of each other's language symbolic of their relationship?
8. Even though they are husband and wife, why do Saknis's feelings about the white man differ from the feelings of Attean's grandmother?
9. Attean tells Matt that it is the white man who introduced metal traps to the Indians. What does the trap symbolize to Attean?
10. How does the celebration of the bear kill at Attean's village actually work to lessen friction over cultural differences?
This section contains 766 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)