|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Matt wish Attean had given him to show his father upon his return?
(a) A bear claw.
(b) A bear's tooth.
(c) A bear ear.
(d) A piece of bear skin.
2. At the beginning of Chapter 15, what animal does Matt successfully kill with his bow and arrow?
(a) A squirrel.
(b) A beaver.
(c) A rabbit.
(d) A fox.
3. What emotion does Matt imagine he sees in Attean's eyes?
4. Why does Matt hesitate to ask Attean for more stories?
(a) Matt thinks Attean is too proud of himself already.
(b) Matt wants to get back to cabin to see if his family has arrived.
(c) Matt can't understand Attean's English.
(d) Matt thinks it might be impolite.
5. When Attean tells Matt that he and his family are leaving, what is the reason he gives Attean for their departure?
(a) They want to move to a warmer climate.
(b) They must move to a better hunting ground.
(c) They are tired of warring with the people of the turtle.
(d) They want to move to a more popuatled area.
Short Answer Questions
1. Approximately how long does it take Matt and Attean to reach Attean's village from Matt's cabin?
2. When Matt daydreams of being a hero to Attean, what does he imagine rescuing Attean from?
3. What is suggested to Matt that will enable him to go on the hunt and not worry his father?
4. When Matt wakes up after the celebration at Attean's village, what does Matt NOT see hanging or laying around?
5. On this day that he has trouble opening the door, what food that his mother makes does Matt miss?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do the setting and details that the author uses to describe autumn work to match Matt's mood when he recognizes that his family is past due?
2. Even though they are husband and wife, why do Saknis's feelings about the white man differ from the feelings of Attean's grandmother?
3. As Matt misses his family and Christmas nears, how do his memories work for him?
4. When Matt comes upon the Attean's dog in the trap, he knows he is in the land of the turtle and should not tamper with anything there. Why does he knowingly go against the law that Attean taught him?
5. How does the celebration of the bear kill at Attean's village actually work to lessen friction over cultural differences?
6. What is the conflict Matt faces when Saknis invites him to come along on the hunt with his people as Attean's brother?
7. Why is it ironic that Matt wonders how the Great Spirit that the Indians worship seem to be like the Indians themselves--i.e. a mighty hunter, very strong?
8. In spite of Attean not being in high spirits, he visits Matt shortly before his manitou. What is the significance of this visit at this time?
9. Why is Matt "delighted" to know that Attean tells the story to his brothers?
10. After a day of hard play in the Indian village, Matt is physically sore but content. Explain these two apparently contradicting feelings.
This section contains 924 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)