|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens at the end of the day to Matt's shirt?
(a) It is repaired by a woman because it was torn earlier in play.
(b) It is returned to him.
(c) It is taken from him as an intitiation.
(d) It is replaced by a new suede shirt.
2. When Matt and Attean are hiking in the woods, they come upon a trap. Of what is the trap made?
3. What does Matt temporarily "lose" in the gambling game he plays with the Indian boys?
(a) His pen knife.
(b) His shoes.
(c) His shirt.
(d) His belt.
4. When Matt daydreams of being a hero to Attean, what does he imagine rescuing Attean from?
(a) A pack of fox.
(b) A bear, a panther or a rattlesnake.
(c) A pack of hyenas.
(d) A pack of bears.
5. When Attean appears with paint on his skin, what does Matt think?
(a) He thinks Attean is painted for a celebration.
(b) He thinks Attean has gone mad.
(c) He thinks Attean is painted for war.
(d) He thinks Attean is painted to scare Matt.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who sends Matt a basket of maple sugar?
2. Why does Matt hesitate to ask Attean for more stories?
3. What English word does Attean offer as a rough translation of his word "manitou"?
4. Before Attean leaves Matt, what gift does Attean give Matt?
5. What is suggested to Matt that will enable him to go on the hunt and not worry his father?
Short Essay Questions
1. As Matt misses his family and Christmas nears, how do his memories work for him?
2. Attean tells Matt that it is the white man who introduced metal traps to the Indians. What does the trap symbolize to Attean?
3. What is the conflict Matt faces when Saknis invites him to come along on the hunt with his people as Attean's brother?
4. Even though they are husband and wife, why do Saknis's feelings about the white man differ from the feelings of Attean's grandmother?
5. What evidence is there that Matt's relationship with the Indians fulfilled a familial longing?
6. After a day of hard play in the Indian village, Matt is physically sore but content. Explain these two apparently contradicting feelings.
7. Since Matt has spent time with the Indians, how is he better able to make provisions for the winter?
8. Why is Matt "delighted" to know that Attean tells the story to his brothers?
9. Matt gets considerable reassurance of his acceptance in Chapter 22 when Attean renews his invitation to Matt to join them to find a new hunting ground. How does Matt's response please and simultaneously disappoint Attean?
10. What is Matt's reaction to Attean's explanation of his grandmother's hatred of white men?
This section contains 839 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)