|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Attean appears with paint on his skin, what does Matt think?
(a) He thinks Attean has gone mad.
(b) He thinks Attean is painted to scare Matt.
(c) He thinks Attean is painted for war.
(d) He thinks Attean is painted for a celebration.
2. After Attean visits with his grandfather, with whom does Attean return a few days later?
(a) Another white boy.
(b) His grandfather.
(c) His dog.
(d) His sister.
3. After Matt's fun-filled day at Attean's village, how long does Matt wait before he sees Attean again?
(a) About 2 weeks.
(b) About 1 week.
(c) About 3 months.
(d) About 4 days.
4. What is Attean permitted to eat during his stay alone in the forest?
(a) Salt-dried meat.
(c) Nuts and berries.
(d) Smoked fish.
5. What English word does Attean offer as a rough translation of his word "manitou"?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Matt temporarily "lose" in the gambling game he plays with the Indian boys?
2. What happens at the end of the day to Matt's shirt?
3. From what does Matt make a pair of mittens for himself?
4. When Attean visits Matt after his manitou, what is he carrying?
5. What emotion does Matt imagine he sees in Attean's eyes?
Short Essay Questions
1. Matt gets considerable reassurance of his acceptance in Chapter 22 when Attean renews his invitation to Matt to join them to find a new hunting ground. How does Matt's response please and simultaneously disappoint Attean?
2. Why is it ironic that Matt wonders how the Great Spirit that the Indians worship seem to be like the Indians themselves--i.e. a mighty hunter, very strong?
3. What evidence is there that Matt's relationship with the Indians fulfilled a familial longing?
4. What does Matt do at the end of Chapter 24 that suggests he has adequately prepared for winter?
5. When Attean takes Matt around to see the Indian women working, why is this work of such interest to Matt and of little interest to Attean?
6. What is Matt's reaction to Attean's explanation of his grandmother's hatred of white men?
7. How does such a violent act as killing a bear bring Matt and Attean into a relationship that for the first time seems like a friendship?
8. What is the conflict Matt faces when Saknis invites him to come along on the hunt with his people as Attean's brother?
9. Since Matt has spent time with the Indians, how is he better able to make provisions for the winter?
10. In spite of Attean not being in high spirits, he visits Matt shortly before his manitou. What is the significance of this visit at this time?
This section contains 799 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)