|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Attean visits Matt after his manitou, what is he carrying?
(a) A shiny new rifle.
(b) Matt's stolen rifle.
(c) Fresh caribou meat.
(d) Fresh elk steaks.
2. When Matt first learns that he is invited to the Indian village after the dog rescue, why does he think he is invited?
(d) Cooking Lessons.
3. Seconds before Matt and Attean encounter the bear, what makes Attean first sense danger?
(a) The sound of a cry.
(b) The branches moving.
(c) The sound of something moving quickly.
(d) The sound of something moving slowly.
4. As winter approaches, what does Matt cut and dry that he thinks would be good for pie making?
5. When Matt daydreams of being a hero to Attean, what does he imagine rescuing Attean from?
(a) A pack of fox.
(b) A pack of hyenas.
(c) A bear, a panther or a rattlesnake.
(d) A pack of bears.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Matt goes to the Indian village for Attean and does not find Attean, who does Matt ask for?
2. When Attean tells Matt of the hardships his people faced, what is the reason he says that white men kill Indian people for?
3. As Matt and Attean take leave of each other, who does Matt say he would like Attean's grandfather to meet?
4. What do the rescuers use to prevent the dog from biting while they get it out of the trap?
5. Approximately how long does it take Matt and Attean to reach Attean's village from Matt's cabin?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Matt's reaction to the cleanup being relegated to squaws indicate that he is more accepting of cultural differences?
2. Why is Matt "delighted" to know that Attean tells the story to his brothers?
3. How is Matt's acceptance of the manitou indicative of his growing respect for the Indian culture?
4. Since Matt has spent time with the Indians, how is he better able to make provisions for the winter?
5. How do the setting and details that the author uses to describe autumn work to match Matt's mood when he recognizes that his family is past due?
6. What is the conflict Matt faces when Saknis invites him to come along on the hunt with his people as Attean's brother?
7. In spite of Attean not being in high spirits, he visits Matt shortly before his manitou. What is the significance of this visit at this time?
8. Attean tells Matt that it is the white man who introduced metal traps to the Indians. What does the trap symbolize to Attean?
9. What evidence is there that Matt's relationship with the Indians fulfilled a familial longing?
10. How does the celebration of the bear kill at Attean's village actually work to lessen friction over cultural differences?
This section contains 833 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)