|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens at the end of the day to Matt's shirt?
(a) It is repaired by a woman because it was torn earlier in play.
(b) It is taken from him as an intitiation.
(c) It is replaced by a new suede shirt.
(d) It is returned to him.
2. What does Attean teach Matt that he could make a rain cape from?
(a) Fox hide.
(c) Beaver skin.
(d) Rabbit hide.
3. Who does Attean say will come to cut up and clean the bear?
(a) His brothers.
(b) The women of the camp.
(c) His grandfather.
(d) The elders of the camp.
4. When Matt wakes up after the celebration at Attean's village, what does Matt NOT see hanging or laying around?
(a) Animal skin rugs.
(b) Fish bones.
(c) Clam shells.
(d) Animal bones.
5. When Attean appears with paint on his skin, what does Matt think?
(a) He thinks Attean is painted to scare Matt.
(b) He thinks Attean is painted for a celebration.
(c) He thinks Attean is painted for war.
(d) He thinks Attean has gone mad.
Short Answer Questions
1. Approximately how long does it take Matt and Attean to reach Attean's village from Matt's cabin?
2. After Attean visits with his grandfather, with whom does Attean return a few days later?
3. When Mat finally makes it outside, he does so by making a kind of tool that is similar to what?
4. What emotion does Matt imagine he sees in Attean's eyes?
5. When Matt is alone and feeling lonely, what does Matt imagine might have happened to his father?
Short Essay Questions
1. In spite of Attean not being in high spirits, he visits Matt shortly before his manitou. What is the significance of this visit at this time?
2. As Matt misses his family and Christmas nears, how do his memories work for him?
3. How does Saknis receive Matt's declining the invitation to go on the hunt with his people?
4. How does Matt's reaction to the cleanup being relegated to squaws indicate that he is more accepting of cultural differences?
5. Since Matt has spent time with the Indians, how is he better able to make provisions for the winter?
6. Attean tells Matt that it is the white man who introduced metal traps to the Indians. What does the trap symbolize to Attean?
7. Matt gets considerable reassurance of his acceptance in Chapter 22 when Attean renews his invitation to Matt to join them to find a new hunting ground. How does Matt's response please and simultaneously disappoint Attean?
8. What is the explanation for Attean not eating the bear and how does he seem to feel about this?
9. How is Matt and Attean's use of each other's language symbolic of their relationship?
10. After a day of hard play in the Indian village, Matt is physically sore but content. Explain these two apparently contradicting feelings.
This section contains 812 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)