|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How doesMatt first become aware of an animal being in danger?
(a) He hears an animal cry.
(b) He senses danger.
(c) He smells blood.
(d) He sees the dog in the trap.
2. What does Attean bring Matt for breakfast on the morning after the celebration?
(b) Bear stew.
(c) Porridge with fruit.
(d) Hard-boiled eggs.
3. What do the rescuers use to prevent the dog from biting while they get it out of the trap?
(a) A blanket.
(b) An arrow.
(c) A hatchet.
(d) A sport pole;
4. As Matt thinks about the time of year, what day does he think most about?
(b) His birthday.
(c) His sister, Sarah's irthday.
5. How many arrows does Attean use to kill the bear?
Short Answer Questions
1. What English word does Attean offer as a rough translation of his word "manitou"?
2. What is suggested to Matt that will enable him to go on the hunt and not worry his father?
3. What is the story about that Attean tells Matt?
4. When Matt wakes up after the celebration at Attean's village, what does Matt NOT see hanging or laying around?
5. What does Matt feel as he leaves Attean's grandmother after the day at the village?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Matt's acceptance of the manitou indicative of his growing respect for the Indian culture?
2. Matt gets considerable reassurance of his acceptance in Chapter 22 when Attean renews his invitation to Matt to join them to find a new hunting ground. How does Matt's response please and simultaneously disappoint Attean?
3. Since Matt has spent time with the Indians, how is he better able to make provisions for the winter?
4. Why is it ironic that Matt wonders how the Great Spirit that the Indians worship seem to be like the Indians themselves--i.e. a mighty hunter, very strong?
5. What evidence is there that Matt's relationship with the Indians fulfilled a familial longing?
6. What does Matt do at the end of Chapter 24 that suggests he has adequately prepared for winter?
7. How does Saknis receive Matt's declining the invitation to go on the hunt with his people?
8. Attean tells Matt that it is the white man who introduced metal traps to the Indians. What does the trap symbolize to Attean?
9. How do the setting and details that the author uses to describe autumn work to match Matt's mood when he recognizes that his family is past due?
10. How does Matt's reaction to the cleanup being relegated to squaws indicate that he is more accepting of cultural differences?
This section contains 770 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)