|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Matt say that he thought of the Indian way of life before he actually visited them?
(a) He thought they were impolite.
(b) He thought they were dull.
(c) He thought they were always hunting.
(d) He thought they were mean.
2. As winter approaches, what does Matt cut and dry that he thinks would be good for pie making?
3. When Matt first arrives at the village, how does he react to the smells from the cooking?
(a) He becomes frightened that he will have to eat this food that he smells.
(b) He becomes lighted-headed.
(c) He becomes curious.
(d) He become very hungry.
4. What is Attean permitted to eat during his stay alone in the forest?
(a) Smoked fish.
(b) Salt-dried meat.
(c) Nuts and berries.
5. When Attean visits Matt after his manitou, what is he carrying?
(a) Fresh elk steaks.
(b) Matt's stolen rifle.
(c) A shiny new rifle.
(d) Fresh caribou meat.
Short Answer Questions
1. As winter approaches, what does Matt use to fill in the cracks between the logs in the cabin?
2. What does Matt throw at the bear?
3. When Attean visits Matt after his manitou, who accompanies him?
4. If Attean does not come back to the village having completed his tasks successfully, how will his village view him?
5. Now that it is winter, how does Matt fish?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Matt "delighted" to know that Attean tells the story to his brothers?
2. How do the setting and details that the author uses to describe autumn work to match Matt's mood when he recognizes that his family is past due?
3. Even though they are husband and wife, why do Saknis's feelings about the white man differ from the feelings of Attean's grandmother?
4. How does Saknis receive Matt's declining the invitation to go on the hunt with his people?
5. As Matt misses his family and Christmas nears, how do his memories work for him?
6. Attean tells Matt that it is the white man who introduced metal traps to the Indians. What does the trap symbolize to Attean?
7. When Attean comes to say farewell, why does Matt to give Attean his father's watch and not the book?
8. What evidence is there that Matt's relationship with the Indians fulfilled a familial longing?
9. How is Matt's acceptance of the manitou indicative of his growing respect for the Indian culture?
10. What does Matt do at the end of Chapter 24 that suggests he has adequately prepared for winter?
This section contains 827 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)