|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Matt temporarily "lose" in the gambling game he plays with the Indian boys?
(a) His belt.
(b) His shirt.
(c) His shoes.
(d) His pen knife.
2. What does Attean do as he leaves Matt at the cabin in Chapter 21?
(a) He just walks out.
(b) He hugs Matt and calls him his brother.
(c) He gives him a small gift in a leather pouch.
(d) He extends his hand to shake hands.
3. What is suggested to Matt that will enable him to go on the hunt and not worry his father?
(a) The hunting party will retrace steps weekly to check for father's arrival.
(b) Attean's grandmother will send Attean's sister to check on Matt's cabin.
(c) Matt leave a note for his father.
(d) Attean's sister and another woman will cabin-sit.
4. Seconds before Matt and Attean encounter the bear, what makes Attean first sense danger?
(a) The sound of something moving quickly.
(b) The sound of something moving slowly.
(c) The sound of a cry.
(d) The branches moving.
5. When Attean tells Matt that he and his family are leaving, what is the reason he gives Attean for their departure?
(a) They want to move to a more popuatled area.
(b) They are tired of warring with the people of the turtle.
(c) They must move to a better hunting ground.
(d) They want to move to a warmer climate.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Attean teach Matt that he could make a rain cape from?
2. What animal is in the trap that they come upon?
3. As winter approaches, what does Matt use to fill in the cracks between the logs in the cabin?
4. At the beginning of Chapter 15, what animal does Matt successfully kill with his bow and arrow?
5. In what game that he plays with the Indians is Matt most successful?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Matt and Attean's use of each other's language symbolic of their relationship?
2. After a day of hard play in the Indian village, Matt is physically sore but content. Explain these two apparently contradicting feelings.
3. When Matt comes upon the Attean's dog in the trap, he knows he is in the land of the turtle and should not tamper with anything there. Why does he knowingly go against the law that Attean taught him?
4. When Attean comes to say farewell, why does Matt to give Attean his father's watch and not the book?
5. How do the setting and details that the author uses to describe autumn work to match Matt's mood when he recognizes that his family is past due?
6. What is the conflict Matt faces when Saknis invites him to come along on the hunt with his people as Attean's brother?
7. As Matt misses his family and Christmas nears, how do his memories work for him?
8. What does Matt do at the end of Chapter 24 that suggests he has adequately prepared for winter?
9. Why is Matt "delighted" to know that Attean tells the story to his brothers?
10. Matt gets considerable reassurance of his acceptance in Chapter 22 when Attean renews his invitation to Matt to join them to find a new hunting ground. How does Matt's response please and simultaneously disappoint Attean?
This section contains 835 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)