|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the next book that Matt has to get his adventures from?
(a) Around the World in Eighty Days.
(b) The Bible.
(c) Swiss Family Robinson.
(d) Leaves of Grass.
2. Before Attean leaves Matt, what gift does Attean give Matt?
(a) A finely made bow and quiver of arrows.
(b) His dog.
(c) A bear fur rug.
(d) A rifle.
3. What happens at the end of the day to Matt's shirt?
(a) It is repaired by a woman because it was torn earlier in play.
(b) It is replaced by a new suede shirt.
(c) It is taken from him as an intitiation.
(d) It is returned to him.
4. What does Matt feel as he leaves Attean's grandmother after the day at the village?
(a) Desire to stay.
5. When Matt and Attean are talking about the animal in the trap, what does Attean say that white men trap for?
(a) Animal skeletons.
(b) Animal meat.
(c) The total animal.
(d) Animal skin.
Short Answer Questions
1. As winter approaches, what does Matt use to fill in the cracks between the logs in the cabin?
2. In the morning at the village, what makes the thumping sound that Matt notices?
3. What is one of the food preparations that Matt learns from the Indian women?
4. What does Matt wish Attean had given him to show his father upon his return?
5. When Matt and Attean are hiking in the woods, they come upon a trap. Of what is the trap made?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the conflict Matt faces when Saknis invites him to come along on the hunt with his people as Attean's brother?
2. What is Matt's reaction to Attean's explanation of his grandmother's hatred of white men?
3. When Attean comes to say farewell, why does Matt to give Attean his father's watch and not the book?
4. What does Matt do at the end of Chapter 24 that suggests he has adequately prepared for winter?
5. As Matt misses his family and Christmas nears, how do his memories work for him?
6. After a day of hard play in the Indian village, Matt is physically sore but content. Explain these two apparently contradicting feelings.
7. Attean tells Matt that it is the white man who introduced metal traps to the Indians. What does the trap symbolize to Attean?
8. Matt gets considerable reassurance of his acceptance in Chapter 22 when Attean renews his invitation to Matt to join them to find a new hunting ground. How does Matt's response please and simultaneously disappoint Attean?
9. What evidence is there that Matt's relationship with the Indians fulfilled a familial longing?
10. How does Saknis receive Matt's declining the invitation to go on the hunt with his people?
This section contains 791 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)