Mid-Book Test - Medium
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How long does Matt estimate that it will take Attean to learn his lessons?
(a) Two years.
(b) Six months.
(c) Three months.
(d) A year.
2. What word does Attean use to describe Crusoe when Crusoe goes back to the ship?
3. What does Attean bring Matt when he enters the house in Chapter 7?
(a) A pair of shoes.
(b) A rabbit.
(c) A stew.
(d) His father's rifle.
4. What is the first word that Matt hears the stranger speak?
(b) Who's there?
5. How does Matt know that the stranger intends to stay the night?
(a) He slid from the stool and lay down on the floor.
(b) He asked if he could stay.
(c) He told Matt that if he could stay he would help with chores.
(d) He fell asleep while Matt was speaking.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the stranger ask for that Matt doesn't have?
2. What is the first sign to Matt that something bad has happened to his cabin while he was gone?
3. Why does Matt skip the part about where Crusoe was born when he reads to Attean?
4. Who bakes the johnnycake that Matt eats after hunting?
5. What is the main source of noise Matt notices in the woods?
Short Essay Questions
1. How dies Matt discover that he can overcome his loneliness?
2. How does Matt's remark about shooting squirrels remind the reader that Matt is still a child?
3. In what ways does Matt reveal his maturity in this first chapter?
4. How does Matt's garden experience prove to be frustrating?
5. What is the conflict Matt faces when Saknis invites him to come along on the hunt with his people as Attean's brother?
6. What is Matt's reaction to Attean's explanation of his grandmother's hatred of white men?
7. Attean tells Matt that it is the white man who introduced metal traps to the Indians. What does the trap symbolize to Attean?
8. Characterize the relationship that develops between Saknis and Matt.
9. How is Matt and Attean's use of each other's language symbolic of their relationship?
10. When Attean takes Matt around to see the Indian women working, why is this work of such interest to Matt and of little interest to Attean?
This section contains 779 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)