|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After hunting lessons from Attean, what is the first thing that Matt catches?
(a) A groundhog.
(b) A partridge.
(c) A fox.
(d) A rabbit.
2. What is Matt's bed made of?
(a) Oak leaves.
(b) Hemlock boughs.
(c) Spruce boughs.
3. What food supply is kept in a barrel in the cabin?
4. When Attean cooks the fish, how does he get it over the flames?
(a) He uses a hot rock on the fire.
(b) He wraps the fish in leaves and puts it on the fire.
(c) He puts sticks through the entire fish and holds it over the fire.
(d) He builds a grill and puts it over the fire.
5. What does Saknis bring Matt to wear?
(a) Suede pants.
(c) New boots.
(d) Suede shirt.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the word "seba" mean?
2. What is the name of the town where Matt's family lives?
3. What does Saknis bring Matt to eat?
4. When Attean leaves, whose trip does Matt compare Robinson Crusoe's survival to?
5. What does Matt believe that the Indians desire most as treatment from white settlers?
Short Essay Questions
1. In what ways does Matt reveal his maturity in this first chapter?
2. Despite Matt's gun being gone, what is happens in Chapter 4 that suggests that Matt is in good spirits?
3. How might one evaluate the stories Ben tells of living with the Indians and fighting the French?
4. How does Matt intend to deal with his loneliness?
5. How does Matt deal with his disappointment in not hitting the red squirrel that he sets out to kill for food?
6. After fishing and managing to catch four fish, how is Matt's good mood quickly ruined?
7. How is Matt more apt to question slavery now when reading with Attean and never before?
8. Why might one argue that Matt underestimates the danger the bees could cause him when he is planning to get some honey?
9. At the end of Chapter 10, Matt comments that Attean has smiled his first genuine smile. One must infer the reason for this smile. What is the reason behind this smile?
10. Attean, to say the least, is uncooperative in his first reading lesson. Explain his behavior and the feelings behind this behavior.
This section contains 740 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)