|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How might one characterize the way in which Matt and Attean work together in the forest to create a weapon?
2. What is the reason for the oil that Attean spreads on his body and hair?
(a) It is a spring Indian ritual.
(b) It is from his breakfast of greasy meat.
(c) It is supposed to repel insects.
(d) It is from a sacred ceremony that morning.
3. When Ben blames himself for the break-in, what does he specifically blame himself for?
(a) Not barring the door at all.
(b) Leaving the aroma of stew near an open window.
(c) Leaving a piece of corn cake on the stoop.
(d) Not barring the door securely.
4. Where is Matt taken after he is rescued from the bees?
(a) A hospital.
(b) A teepee.
(c) A strange cabin.
(d) His cabin.
5. Where is Matt supposed to get the the clay for the spaces between the logs in the cabin?
(a) From the base of the cabin.
(b) From the soil around the roots of trees.
(c) From the bank of the creek.
(d) From the rver bank.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Saknis bring Matt to eat?
2. By what name does the stranger introduce himself?
3. What is the sweet ingredient that Matt that is disappearing because he uses it a lot?
4. How long does Matt estimate that it will take Attean to learn his lessons?
5. At the beginning of Chapter 12, what does Matt wake up and decide he wants?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain whether Matt is jealous of Attean's fishing skills.
2. In what ways does Matt reveal his maturity in this first chapter?
3. How do Saknis and his grandson differ in their opinions of the white man?
4. How is Matt more apt to question slavery now when reading with Attean and never before?
5. How does Matt's remark about shooting squirrels remind the reader that Matt is still a child?
6. How is Matt's experience of learning how to make a bow different from the other hunting lessons of Attean so far in the story?
7. How does Matt's father's teachings help Matt when he is alone?
8. Looking back to how Matt first meets the man who calls himself Ben, what is Matt's first mistake regarding this man?
9. What does the last sentence of the chapter mean, "So he was not so quick-witted as he should have been when unexpectedly someone arrived"?
10. What does Matt reveal in the narration that reveals how sensitive he is to being without a gun?
This section contains 781 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)