|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the first sign to Matt that something bad has happened to his cabin while he was gone?
(a) He heard voices from within the cabin.
(b) The door was torn off and broken.
(c) He smelled smoke.
(d) The garden was robbed.
2. Although Matt was discouraged, what does he decide to do after he cleans up after the break in?
(a) Cook fish.
(b) Cook stew.
(c) Cook gritty cakes.
(d) Make bread.
3. What does Matt believe that the Indians desire most as treatment from white settlers?
4. What part of Robinson Crusoe does Matt begin Attean's lesson on the the second day of reading classes?
(a) The passage about surviving a storm.
(b) The passage about being born in the heart of New York City.
(c) The passage about a battle at sea.
(d) The passage about signing a treaty.
5. What is the "white stuff" that has spilled?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Saknis make for Matt that is made of wood?
2. What is the reason for the oil that Attean spreads on his body and hair?
3. What is it in the story of Robinson Crusoe that angered Attean?
4. How often is Matt instructed to cut a notch in the stick?
5. What piece of clothing does Matt lose when he is battling the bees?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Matt's remark about shooting squirrels remind the reader that Matt is still a child?
2. The first relationship the reader witnesses is the one between Matt and his father. Describe their relationship.
3. Attean, to say the least, is uncooperative in his first reading lesson. Explain his behavior and the feelings behind this behavior.
4. Matt wakes in the morning dreading the task of teaching Attean to read. Explain the reason for this dread and whether it is justified.
5. How is Matt more apt to question slavery now when reading with Attean and never before?
6. How do Saknis and his grandson differ in their opinions of the white man?
7. Explain whether Matt is jealous of Attean's fishing skills.
8. Why might Attean be so uninterested in learning to read and write the English language?
9. How does Matt deal with his disappointment in not hitting the red squirrel that he sets out to kill for food?
10. Some might say that by heeding his father's advice Matt makes a mistake. How might one blame Matt's father for Matt being duped?
This section contains 909 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)