|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Attean leaves, whose trip does Matt compare Robinson Crusoe's survival to?
(b) His and his father's.
(c) His own survival after the bee sting.
2. Although Matt was discouraged, what does he decide to do after he cleans up after the break in?
(a) Cook fish.
(b) Make bread.
(c) Cook stew.
(d) Cook gritty cakes.
3. What part of Robinson Crusoe does Matt begin Attean's lesson on the the second day of reading classes?
(a) The passage about signing a treaty.
(b) The passage about a battle at sea.
(c) The passage about being born in the heart of New York City.
(d) The passage about surviving a storm.
4. Who assures Matt that the local Indians were not to be feared?
(a) His father.
(b) His Indian friends from Massachusetts.
(c) His preacher.
(d) His mother.
5. Where does Matt's father tell him that the bees near Loon Pond are from?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Matt make for his guest and himself to eat?
2. What does Attean make hooks from when Matt loses his fish hook?
3. What does Matt try to salvage after the break-in that is now mixed with dirt?
4. What does Matt still have a few grains of in a tin after the break in?
5. When Attean explains the meaning of the sign of the beaver, what does Matt think of this meaning?
Short Essay Questions
1. At the end of Chapter 10, Matt comments that Attean has smiled his first genuine smile. One must infer the reason for this smile. What is the reason behind this smile?
2. How does Matt deal with his disappointment in not hitting the red squirrel that he sets out to kill for food?
3. In Chapter 11, the reader comes upon the explanation of the title of the novel, "the sign of the beaver." What is the sign of the beaver?
4. Explain how Matt's appetite might be considered the impetus for the action of Chapter 5, when he is attacked by bees?
5. How do Saknis and his grandson differ in their opinions of the white man?
6. Why might Attean be so uninterested in learning to read and write the English language?
7. Matt wakes in the morning dreading the task of teaching Attean to read. Explain the reason for this dread and whether it is justified.
8. Explain why the reader senses that Matt's rescuer is kind and that Matt is safe.
9. What specifically causes Matt's accident and pain?
10. Why is the absence of the rifle so terrible for Matt?
This section contains 795 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)