|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How old will Matt be in seven weeks from the day his father leaves?
(a) Twelve years old.
(b) Fourteen years old.
(c) Fifteen years old.
(d) Thirteen years old.
2. How many children are living with Matt's mother?
3. What does the stranger ask for that Matt doesn't have?
4. What is the reason for the oil that Attean spreads on his body and hair?
(a) It is a spring Indian ritual.
(b) It is from a sacred ceremony that morning.
(c) It is supposed to repel insects.
(d) It is from his breakfast of greasy meat.
5. What food supply is kept in a barrel in the cabin?
Short Answer Questions
1. When Attean leaves, whose trip does Matt compare Robinson Crusoe's survival to?
2. What is the one animal that is Matt's goal to shoot?
3. Who is Aremus?
4. How long does Matt estimate that it will take Attean to learn his lessons?
5. After the boys both catch fish, how does Attean start a fire?
Short Essay Questions
1. Matt wakes in the morning dreading the task of teaching Attean to read. Explain the reason for this dread and whether it is justified.
2. Attean, to say the least, is uncooperative in his first reading lesson. Explain his behavior and the feelings behind this behavior.
3. Why might one argue that Matt underestimates the danger the bees could cause him when he is planning to get some honey?
4. What specifically causes Matt's accident and pain?
5. How do Saknis and his grandson differ in their opinions of the white man?
6. In Chapter 11, the reader comes upon the explanation of the title of the novel, "the sign of the beaver." What is the sign of the beaver?
7. What does Matt reveal in the narration that reveals how sensitive he is to being without a gun?
8. Why is the absence of the rifle so terrible for Matt?
9. How might one evaluate the stories Ben tells of living with the Indians and fighting the French?
10. How does Matt's garden experience prove to be frustrating?
This section contains 740 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)