|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where is Matt taken after he is rescued from the bees?
(a) A hospital.
(b) A strange cabin.
(c) A teepee.
(d) His cabin.
2. When Matt's father says, "Aye, it's yourn," what does the word "aye" mean?
(b) You know.
(c) I know.
(d) I bet.
3. What part of his body does Matt hurt with his new hunting tool?
(a) His elbow.
(b) His shoulder.
(c) His thumb.
(d) The heel of his hand.
4. Who is Aremus?
(a) Attean's brother.
(b) Attean's dog.
(c) Attean's friend.
(d) Attean's sister.
5. Where does Matt's father tell him that the bees near Loon Pond are from?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Saknis bring Matt to wear?
2. When Attean cooks the fish, how does he get it over the flames?
3. Who rescues Matt from the bee attack?
4. When Ben blames himself for the break-in, what does he specifically blame himself for?
5. What food supply is kept in a barrel in the cabin?
Short Essay Questions
1. Attean, to say the least, is uncooperative in his first reading lesson. Explain his behavior and the feelings behind this behavior.
2. How dies Matt discover that he can overcome his loneliness?
3. Looking back to how Matt first meets the man who calls himself Ben, what is Matt's first mistake regarding this man?
4. How does Matt's garden experience prove to be frustrating?
5. Compare or contrast Attean and Matt as students.
6. How do Saknis and his grandson differ in their opinions of the white man?
7. In Chapter 11, the reader comes upon the explanation of the title of the novel, "the sign of the beaver." What is the sign of the beaver?
8. After fishing and managing to catch four fish, how is Matt's good mood quickly ruined?
9. How is Matt's experience of learning how to make a bow different from the other hunting lessons of Attean so far in the story?
10. At the end of Chapter 10, Matt comments that Attean has smiled his first genuine smile. One must infer the reason for this smile. What is the reason behind this smile?
This section contains 765 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)