|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Attean make hooks from when Matt loses his fish hook?
(a) A pine cone.
(b) A stone.
(c) A thistle.
(d) A piece of wood.
2. Who is with Matt in the woods as the story begins?
(a) His father and his two older brothers.
(b) Only his father.
(c) His father and his four older brothers.
(d) His father and his three older brothers.
3. As Matt and Attean find their way back to the cabin, what does Attean find and share with Matt?
(b) Pine sap droplets.
4. Who rescues Matt from the bee attack?
(b) An Indian man.
(c) An Indian child.
(d) His father.
5. What fruit does Matt find nearby?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the reason for the oil that Attean spreads on his body and hair?
2. When Matt's father says, "Aye, it's yourn," what does the word "aye" mean?
3. What is it that Attean had to find before he could teach hunting to Matt?
4. After the cabin break-in, what food does Matt find that he is particularly tired of?
5. Where is Matt supposed to get the the clay for the spaces between the logs in the cabin?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Matt deal with his disappointment in not hitting the red squirrel that he sets out to kill for food?
2. Explain how Matt's appetite might be considered the impetus for the action of Chapter 5, when he is attacked by bees?
3. At the end of Chapter 10, Matt comments that Attean has smiled his first genuine smile. One must infer the reason for this smile. What is the reason behind this smile?
4. Why does Matt blame himself for the bear's intrusion into his cabin?
5. After fishing and managing to catch four fish, how is Matt's good mood quickly ruined?
6. Despite Matt's gun being gone, what is happens in Chapter 4 that suggests that Matt is in good spirits?
7. In Chapter 11, the reader comes upon the explanation of the title of the novel, "the sign of the beaver." What is the sign of the beaver?
8. How dies Matt discover that he can overcome his loneliness?
9. Why might Attean be so uninterested in learning to read and write the English language?
10. How does Matt's garden experience prove to be frustrating?
This section contains 718 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)