|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Saknis bring Matt to wear?
(b) Suede pants.
(c) Suede shirt.
(d) New boots.
2. What does the stranger admire and say that is "worth a passel of beaver"?
(a) A dining table.
(b) A rifle.
(c) A bed.
(d) A beaver stew.
3. What does the sign of the beaver designate?
(a) The home of Attean.
(b) Hunting property of the people of the beaver.
(c) A historic treaty signing location.
(d) A beaver preserve.
4. Why does Matt decide that the cause of the break-in couldn't be Indians?
(a) Human beings wouldn't scatter food like this.
(b) Indians don't like the white settlers' food.
(c) Indians are afraid on cabins built on their territory.
(d) Indians would have left a gift.
5. What kind of trees are used to build their cabin?
Short Answer Questions
1. When the man asks whether Matt is alone at the camp site, how does Matt respond?
2. After the boys both catch fish, how does Attean start a fire?
3. On the first trip that Attean and Matt make into the woods to hunt rabbits, what weapon did Attean bring?
4. Where do the bees NOT sting Matt?
5. What is the first animal that Matt attempts to shoot?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Matt intend to deal with his loneliness?
2. Why is the absence of the rifle so terrible for Matt?
3. How does Matt's father's teachings help Matt when he is alone?
4. How might one evaluate the stories Ben tells of living with the Indians and fighting the French?
5. Why does Matt blame himself for the bear's intrusion into his cabin?
6. How do Saknis and his grandson differ in their opinions of the white man?
7. Matt wakes in the morning dreading the task of teaching Attean to read. Explain the reason for this dread and whether it is justified.
8. Characterize the relationship that develops between Saknis and Matt.
9. The first relationship the reader witnesses is the one between Matt and his father. Describe their relationship.
10. At the end of Chapter 10, Matt comments that Attean has smiled his first genuine smile. One must infer the reason for this smile. What is the reason behind this smile?
This section contains 841 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)