|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Matt think of the difficulty of climbing the tree that has bees in it?
(a) A difficult tree to climb, but far from his cabin.
(b) A difficult tree to climb.
(c) An easy tree to climb, but very far away.
(d) An easy tree to climb.
2. How old will Matt be in seven weeks from the day his father leaves?
(a) Twelve years old.
(b) Fourteen years old.
(c) Fifteen years old.
(d) Thirteen years old.
3. Who bakes the johnnycake that Matt eats after hunting?
(a) A local Indian.
(b) Matt's mother.
(c) Matt's father.
4. What are less of a nuisance to Matt now that it is July?
(b) Flies and mosquitoes.
(c) Strange noises.
(d) Bad dreams.
5. What kind of trees are used to build their cabin?
Short Answer Questions
1. When Matt's father says, "Aye, it's yourn," what does the word "aye" mean?
2. What is the "white stuff" that has spilled?
3. What is Matt's bed made of?
4. What does Attean make hooks from when Matt loses his fish hook?
5. What is held in the keg that was overturned?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Matt's father's teachings help Matt when he is alone?
2. Why might Attean be so uninterested in learning to read and write the English language?
3. Some might say that by heeding his father's advice Matt makes a mistake. How might one blame Matt's father for Matt being duped?
4. How do Saknis and his grandson differ in their opinions of the white man?
5. The first relationship the reader witnesses is the one between Matt and his father. Describe their relationship.
6. How does Matt intend to deal with his loneliness?
7. What is the explanation for Attean not eating the bear and how does he seem to feel about this?
8. How does Matt's reaction to the cleanup being relegated to squaws indicate that he is more accepting of cultural differences?
9. How does Saknis receive Matt's declining the invitation to go on the hunt with his people?
10. Why is the absence of the rifle so terrible for Matt?
This section contains 753 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)