|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the first thing Matt prepares to teach Attean?
(a) How to write numbers.
(b) Common English words.
(c) The alphabet.
(d) How to do simple addition.
2. How does Attean react to Matt's estimate of how long he will be teaching Attean?
(a) He tells Matt he will try, but that Matt has to make lessons faster.
(b) He knocks the book off the table and runs out of the cabin.
(c) He grabs Matt's hand and begins to Indian wrestle.
(d) He throws the book Matt.
3. Where is Matt supposed to get the the clay for the spaces between the logs in the cabin?
(a) From the bank of the creek.
(b) From the base of the cabin.
(c) From the rver bank.
(d) From the soil around the roots of trees.
4. What word does Attean use to describe Crusoe when Crusoe goes back to the ship?
5. What does Attean make hooks from when Matt loses his fish hook?
(a) A piece of wood.
(b) A thistle.
(c) A pine cone.
(d) A stone.
Short Answer Questions
1. After the boys both catch fish, how does Attean start a fire?
2. How often does Matt cook for himself?
3. Where do the bees NOT sting Matt?
4. Who is with Matt in the woods as the story begins?
5. On the morning after his guest spends the night in his cabin, what does Matt discover is missing?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Matt's remark about shooting squirrels remind the reader that Matt is still a child?
2. Explain whether Matt is jealous of Attean's fishing skills.
3. What specifically causes Matt's accident and pain?
4. Why is the absence of the rifle so terrible for Matt?
5. Looking back to how Matt first meets the man who calls himself Ben, what is Matt's first mistake regarding this man?
6. How might one evaluate the stories Ben tells of living with the Indians and fighting the French?
7. What does the last sentence of the chapter mean, "So he was not so quick-witted as he should have been when unexpectedly someone arrived"?
8. Why might Attean be so uninterested in learning to read and write the English language?
9. How does Matt's garden experience prove to be frustrating?
10. How is Matt more apt to question slavery now when reading with Attean and never before?
This section contains 732 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)