|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Matt know that the stranger intends to stay the night?
(a) He asked if he could stay.
(b) He told Matt that if he could stay he would help with chores.
(c) He slid from the stool and lay down on the floor.
(d) He fell asleep while Matt was speaking.
2. How long does Matt estimate that it will take Attean to learn his lessons?
(a) Two years.
(b) A year.
(c) Three months.
(d) Six months.
3. What is Matt's bed made of?
(a) Hemlock boughs.
(b) Oak leaves.
(d) Spruce boughs.
4. When Matt asks Attean to show him how to kill a rabbit, what is it that piqued his interest in learning to hunt as Attean?
(a) Saknis's bragging about his grandson's hunting skills.
(b) How he caught such a large rabbit.
(c) How Attean's rabbit was killed without a hole in it.
(d) Attean's bragging about his hunting skills.
5. According to the stranger, what life experiences does this man have?
(a) He lived with almost every Indian tribe in the terriroty of Maine and acted as their military planner.
(b) He lived with the French and helped them fight against all American Indians.
(c) He lived with the Indians, fought the French Army, and been held captive by the Iroquois.
(d) He lived with every Indian tribe in the territory of Maine.
Short Answer Questions
1. After the cabin break-in, what food does Matt find that he is particularly tired of?
2. Why does Attean have a problem with Matt's sitting next to him?
3. After the incident with the bees, what is the main source of Matt's pain?
4. Why does Matt skip the part about where Crusoe was born when he reads to Attean?
5. What part of Robinson Crusoe does Matt begin Attean's lesson on the the second day of reading classes?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Matt intend to deal with his loneliness?
2. Explain why the reader senses that Matt's rescuer is kind and that Matt is safe.
3. Despite Matt's gun being gone, what is happens in Chapter 4 that suggests that Matt is in good spirits?
4. What is Attean's method for retracing his path in the woods that he tries to instill in Matt?
5. How does Matt's father's teachings help Matt when he is alone?
6. Looking back to how Matt first meets the man who calls himself Ben, what is Matt's first mistake regarding this man?
7. How does the story of Robinson Crusoe become more than a reading book for Attean and Matt?
8. The first relationship the reader witnesses is the one between Matt and his father. Describe their relationship.
9. How does Matt's garden experience prove to be frustrating?
10. What specifically causes Matt's accident and pain?
This section contains 870 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)