|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How long does Matt estimate that it will take Attean to learn his lessons?
(a) Three months.
(b) Six months.
(c) Two years.
(d) A year.
2. What is Matt's bed made of?
(a) Oak leaves.
(b) Hemlock boughs.
(c) Spruce boughs.
3. What is the reason for the oil that Attean spreads on his body and hair?
(a) It is from his breakfast of greasy meat.
(b) It is from a sacred ceremony that morning.
(c) It is a spring Indian ritual.
(d) It is supposed to repel insects.
4. What piece of clothing does Matt lose when he is battling the bees?
(a) A shirt.
(b) A boot.
(c) A sock
(d) A hunting vest.
5. What word does Attean use to describe Crusoe when Crusoe goes back to the ship?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Matt still have a few grains of in a tin after the break in?
2. What is the name of the town where Matt's family lives?
3. Where does Matt's father tell him that the bees near Loon Pond are from?
4. Why does Attean have a problem with Matt's sitting next to him?
5. When Attean catches a fish he feels is too small, what does he do with the fish before he releases it?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Matt deal with his disappointment in not hitting the red squirrel that he sets out to kill for food?
2. How dies Matt discover that he can overcome his loneliness?
3. How does Matt's remark about shooting squirrels remind the reader that Matt is still a child?
4. How is Matt's experience of learning how to make a bow different from the other hunting lessons of Attean so far in the story?
5. What does the last sentence of the chapter mean, "So he was not so quick-witted as he should have been when unexpectedly someone arrived"?
6. How does Matt intend to deal with his loneliness?
7. Despite Matt's gun being gone, what is happens in Chapter 4 that suggests that Matt is in good spirits?
8. Compare or contrast Attean and Matt as students.
9. Explain how Matt's appetite might be considered the impetus for the action of Chapter 5, when he is attacked by bees?
10. In what ways does Matt reveal his maturity in this first chapter?
This section contains 713 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)