|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Matt reads Robinson Crusoe to Attean, which word does he change?
2. In the midst of a bee swarm, what does Matt think will be his escape?
(a) His cabin.
(b) His blanket.
(c) Wet leaves.
3. What does the stranger say about the quality of the construction of Matt's cabin?
(a) It is strong, but small.
(b) It won't be able to keep out the rains.
(c) It is strong and large.
(d) It is a good, tight house.
4. In the passage that Matt reads, why does Crusoe return to his ship?
(a) To get treasure.
(b) To get exercise.
(c) To get supplies.
(d) To rescue his helper.
5. How often does Matt cook for himself?
(a) Three times a day.
(b) Once a day.
(c) Twice a day.
(d) Four times a day.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the main source of noise Matt notices in the woods?
2. What is it in the story of Robinson Crusoe that angered Attean?
3. What animal does Matt want to be his next target?
4. On the first trip that Attean and Matt make into the woods to hunt rabbits, what weapon did Attean bring?
5. What is it that Attean had to find before he could teach hunting to Matt?
Short Essay Questions
1. The first relationship the reader witnesses is the one between Matt and his father. Describe their relationship.
2. Attean, to say the least, is uncooperative in his first reading lesson. Explain his behavior and the feelings behind this behavior.
3. Why is the absence of the rifle so terrible for Matt?
4. Explain whether Matt is jealous of Attean's fishing skills.
5. How does Matt intend to deal with his loneliness?
6. How does the story of Robinson Crusoe become more than a reading book for Attean and Matt?
7. How dies Matt discover that he can overcome his loneliness?
8. In what ways does Matt reveal his maturity in this first chapter?
9. Looking back to how Matt first meets the man who calls himself Ben, what is Matt's first mistake regarding this man?
10. How do Saknis and his grandson differ in their opinions of the white man?
This section contains 908 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)