|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Although Matt was discouraged, what does he decide to do after he cleans up after the break in?
(a) Cook stew.
(b) Cook gritty cakes.
(c) Cook fish.
(d) Make bread.
2. What does the word "seba" mean?
3. What does Matt still have a few grains of in a tin after the break in?
4. Why does Matt skip the part about where Crusoe was born when he reads to Attean?
(a) It contains diffcult words that Attean will not be able to pronounce.
(b) It makes Matt homesick for New York.
(c) He thinks it will be uninteresting to Attean.
(d) He thinks it will make Attean furious.
5. What is the first animal that Matt attempts to shoot?
(a) A rabbit.
(b) A grey fox.
(c) A red fox.
(d) A red squirrel.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Matt believe that the Indians desire most as treatment from white settlers?
2. How often is Matt instructed to cut a notch in the stick?
3. When Attean leaves, whose trip does Matt compare Robinson Crusoe's survival to?
4. How old will Matt be in seven weeks from the day his father leaves?
5. How might one characterize the way in which Matt and Attean work together in the forest to create a weapon?
Short Essay Questions
1. In what ways does Matt reveal his maturity in this first chapter?
2. Characterize the relationship that develops between Saknis and Matt.
3. How dies Matt discover that he can overcome his loneliness?
4. How does Matt deal with his disappointment in not hitting the red squirrel that he sets out to kill for food?
5. Why might one argue that Matt underestimates the danger the bees could cause him when he is planning to get some honey?
6. What does the last sentence of the chapter mean, "So he was not so quick-witted as he should have been when unexpectedly someone arrived"?
7. Explain how Matt's appetite might be considered the impetus for the action of Chapter 5, when he is attacked by bees?
8. Despite Matt's gun being gone, what is happens in Chapter 4 that suggests that Matt is in good spirits?
9. After fishing and managing to catch four fish, how is Matt's good mood quickly ruined?
10. How do Saknis and his grandson differ in their opinions of the white man?
This section contains 768 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)