|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Attean leaves, whose trip does Matt compare Robinson Crusoe's survival to?
(a) His and his father's.
(d) His own survival after the bee sting.
2. What is the "white stuff" that has spilled?
3. What does Saknis bring Matt to wear?
(a) New boots.
(b) Suede pants.
(d) Suede shirt.
4. How might one characterize the way in which Matt and Attean work together in the forest to create a weapon?
5. What does Matt try to salvage after the break-in that is now mixed with dirt?
Short Answer Questions
1. What food supply is kept in a barrel in the cabin?
2. Who is it that apparently appreciates how fond Matt is of molasses and made sure he had some molasses in the cabin?
3. What does Matt still have a few grains of in a tin after the break in?
4. What is held in the keg that was overturned?
5. What is the one animal that is Matt's goal to shoot?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Matt reveal in the narration that reveals how sensitive he is to being without a gun?
2. Why does Matt blame himself for the bear's intrusion into his cabin?
3. Explain how Matt's appetite might be considered the impetus for the action of Chapter 5, when he is attacked by bees?
4. At the end of Chapter 10, Matt comments that Attean has smiled his first genuine smile. One must infer the reason for this smile. What is the reason behind this smile?
5. Matt wakes in the morning dreading the task of teaching Attean to read. Explain the reason for this dread and whether it is justified.
6. Why might Attean be so uninterested in learning to read and write the English language?
7. What does the last sentence of the chapter mean, "So he was not so quick-witted as he should have been when unexpectedly someone arrived"?
8. How does Matt intend to deal with his loneliness?
9. How might one evaluate the stories Ben tells of living with the Indians and fighting the French?
10. In Chapter 11, the reader comes upon the explanation of the title of the novel, "the sign of the beaver." What is the sign of the beaver?
This section contains 679 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)