|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After the boys both catch fish, how does Attean start a fire?
(a) From dried pine needles.
(b) From small twigs.
(c) From a hollowed out log.
(d) From a small rock.
2. After hunting lessons from Attean, what is the first thing that Matt catches?
(a) A groundhog.
(b) A fox.
(c) A rabbit.
(d) A partridge.
3. What is the main source of noise Matt notices in the woods?
(a) Distant gun shots.
(d) His own voice.
4. What is it in the story of Robinson Crusoe that angered Attean?
(a) Reading about a "savage" serving a white man.
(b) Reading about a "savage" rescuing a white man from the sea.
(c) Reading about a "savage" learning a white man's language.
(d) Reading about a "savage" kneeling to a white man.
5. As Matt and Attean find their way back to the cabin, what does Attean find and share with Matt?
(a) Pine sap droplets.
Short Answer Questions
1. What word does Attean use to describe Crusoe when Crusoe goes back to the ship?
2. When Attean becomes angry and storms out of the cabin in Chapter 9, in what mood is Matt left?
3. What crop does Matt have to tend to every day in his garden patch?
4. How often does Matt cook for himself?
5. When Matt and Attean arrive in a part of the woods, Matt has never been in, where do they see the sign of the beaver?
Short Essay Questions
1. The first relationship the reader witnesses is the one between Matt and his father. Describe their relationship.
2. How is Matt more apt to question slavery now when reading with Attean and never before?
3. What is Attean's method for retracing his path in the woods that he tries to instill in Matt?
4. Compare or contrast Attean and Matt as students.
5. Why might Attean be so uninterested in learning to read and write the English language?
6. After fishing and managing to catch four fish, how is Matt's good mood quickly ruined?
7. At the end of Chapter 10, Matt comments that Attean has smiled his first genuine smile. One must infer the reason for this smile. What is the reason behind this smile?
8. What does the last sentence of the chapter mean, "So he was not so quick-witted as he should have been when unexpectedly someone arrived"?
9. Matt wakes in the morning dreading the task of teaching Attean to read. Explain the reason for this dread and whether it is justified.
10. Why might one argue that Matt underestimates the danger the bees could cause him when he is planning to get some honey?
This section contains 770 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)