|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many rooms are in the log cabin that Matt has helped built?
2. What is the first sign to Matt that something bad has happened to his cabin while he was gone?
(a) The door was torn off and broken.
(b) The garden was robbed.
(c) He smelled smoke.
(d) He heard voices from within the cabin.
3. What does the stranger say about the quality of the construction of Matt's cabin?
(a) It is strong and large.
(b) It is strong, but small.
(c) It is a good, tight house.
(d) It won't be able to keep out the rains.
4. As Matt and Attean find their way back to the cabin, what does Attean find and share with Matt?
(a) Pine sap droplets.
5. What kind of trees are used to build their cabin?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the sweet ingredient that Matt that is disappearing because he uses it a lot?
2. Who is Saknis?
3. Where does Matt's father tell him that the bees near Loon Pond are from?
4. Who is Aremus?
5. What is the "white stuff" that has spilled?
Short Essay Questions
1. How dies Matt discover that he can overcome his loneliness?
2. How does Matt's garden experience prove to be frustrating?
3. Characterize the relationship that develops between Saknis and Matt.
4. In Chapter 11, the reader comes upon the explanation of the title of the novel, "the sign of the beaver." What is the sign of the beaver?
5. Why might one argue that Matt underestimates the danger the bees could cause him when he is planning to get some honey?
6. Why might Attean be so uninterested in learning to read and write the English language?
7. Explain whether Matt is jealous of Attean's fishing skills.
8. How does Matt's father's teachings help Matt when he is alone?
9. Some might say that by heeding his father's advice Matt makes a mistake. How might one blame Matt's father for Matt being duped?
10. Why does Matt blame himself for the bear's intrusion into his cabin?
This section contains 693 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)