|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Although Matt was discouraged, what does he decide to do after he cleans up after the break in?
(a) Cook fish.
(b) Cook gritty cakes.
(c) Cook stew.
(d) Make bread.
2. From what does Matt's suspicion come that he is being watched?
(a) A noise.
(b) A shadow.
(c) A smell of another fire.
3. What animal does Matt want to be his next target?
(a) A squirrel.
(b) A rabbit.
(c) A hedgehog.
(d) A muskrat.
4. What does the stranger ask for that Matt doesn't have?
5. What is it that Attean had to find before he could teach hunting to Matt?
(a) Dried pine needles.
(b) A vine.
(c) A tree root.
(d) A hole in the ground.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is with Matt in the woods as the story begins?
2. How might one characterize Matt and Attean 's opinion of the finished weapon?
3. What is the "old blunderbuss" Matt's father speaks of?
4. What does Saknis make for Matt that is made of wood?
5. What does Saknis bring Matt to eat?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Attean comes to say farewell, why does Matt to give Attean his father's watch and not the book?
2. As Matt misses his family and Christmas nears, how do his memories work for him?
3. Some might say that by heeding his father's advice Matt makes a mistake. How might one blame Matt's father for Matt being duped?
4. What specifically causes Matt's accident and pain?
5. How might one evaluate the stories Ben tells of living with the Indians and fighting the French?
6. How does the celebration of the bear kill at Attean's village actually work to lessen friction over cultural differences?
7. How is Matt's acceptance of the manitou indicative of his growing respect for the Indian culture?
8. Characterize the relationship that develops between Saknis and Matt.
9. Matt gets considerable reassurance of his acceptance in Chapter 22 when Attean renews his invitation to Matt to join them to find a new hunting ground. How does Matt's response please and simultaneously disappoint Attean?
10. The first relationship the reader witnesses is the one between Matt and his father. Describe their relationship.
This section contains 832 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)