|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Matt skip the part about where Crusoe was born when he reads to Attean?
(a) It makes Matt homesick for New York.
(b) He thinks it will be uninteresting to Attean.
(c) He thinks it will make Attean furious.
(d) It contains diffcult words that Attean will not be able to pronounce.
2. When the man asks whether Matt is alone at the camp site, how does Matt respond?
(a) That it is note of his business.
(b) That his father is away just now.
(c) That he is alone, but his family should be there any minute.
(d) That he is alone.
3. When Attean leaves, whose trip does Matt compare Robinson Crusoe's survival to?
(b) His own survival after the bee sting.
(c) His and his father's.
4. When Attean catches a fish he feels is too small, what does he do with the fish before he releases it?
(a) He throws it at Matt.
(b) He squeezes it.
(c) He speaks to it.
(d) He blesses it.
5. Who rescues Matt from the bee attack?
(b) An Indian man.
(c) His father.
(d) An Indian child.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Matt think of the difficulty of climbing the tree that has bees in it?
2. On the morning after his guest spends the night in his cabin, what does Matt discover is missing?
3. What is the first sign to Matt that something bad has happened to his cabin while he was gone?
4. In the passage that Matt reads, why does Crusoe return to his ship?
5. What crop does Matt have to tend to every day in his garden patch?
Short Essay Questions
1. Compare or contrast Attean and Matt as students.
2. How does the story of Robinson Crusoe become more than a reading book for Attean and Matt?
3. Looking back to how Matt first meets the man who calls himself Ben, what is Matt's first mistake regarding this man?
4. How does Matt intend to deal with his loneliness?
5. How does Matt's garden experience prove to be frustrating?
6. How does Matt deal with his disappointment in not hitting the red squirrel that he sets out to kill for food?
7. Explain why the reader senses that Matt's rescuer is kind and that Matt is safe.
8. What specifically causes Matt's accident and pain?
9. What is Attean's method for retracing his path in the woods that he tries to instill in Matt?
10. How dies Matt discover that he can overcome his loneliness?
This section contains 770 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)