|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is with Matt in the woods as the story begins?
(a) Only his father.
(b) His father and his three older brothers.
(c) His father and his four older brothers.
(d) His father and his two older brothers.
2. What is the "old blunderbuss" Matt's father speaks of?
(a) The family dog.
(b) The eldest brother.
(c) A cabin.
(d) A rifle.
3. Who rescues Matt from the bee attack?
(b) His father.
(c) An Indian child.
(d) An Indian man.
4. When Matt asks Attean to show him how to kill a rabbit, what is it that piqued his interest in learning to hunt as Attean?
(a) How Attean's rabbit was killed without a hole in it.
(b) Attean's bragging about his hunting skills.
(c) How he caught such a large rabbit.
(d) Saknis's bragging about his grandson's hunting skills.
5. When Attean invites Matt to go fishing, what does Attean stop on the way to make?
(a) A net.
(b) Fishing hooks.
(c) A fishing pole.
(d) A spear.
Short Answer Questions
1. By what name does the stranger introduce himself?
2. What does Saknis bring Matt to wear?
3. Who is it that apparently appreciates how fond Matt is of molasses and made sure he had some molasses in the cabin?
4. What does the sign of the beaver designate?
5. What are less of a nuisance to Matt now that it is July?
Short Essay Questions
1. At the end of Chapter 10, Matt comments that Attean has smiled his first genuine smile. One must infer the reason for this smile. What is the reason behind this smile?
2. Compare or contrast Attean and Matt as students.
3. Why is the absence of the rifle so terrible for Matt?
4. Characterize the relationship that develops between Saknis and Matt.
5. Attean tells Matt that it is the white man who introduced metal traps to the Indians. What does the trap symbolize to Attean?
6. Why might one argue that Matt underestimates the danger the bees could cause him when he is planning to get some honey?
7. How does such a violent act as killing a bear bring Matt and Attean into a relationship that for the first time seems like a friendship?
8. When Attean takes Matt around to see the Indian women working, why is this work of such interest to Matt and of little interest to Attean?
9. When Matt comes upon the Attean's dog in the trap, he knows he is in the land of the turtle and should not tamper with anything there. Why does he knowingly go against the law that Attean taught him?
10. Why might Attean be so uninterested in learning to read and write the English language?
This section contains 830 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)