|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After hunting lessons from Attean, what is the first thing that Matt catches?
(a) A fox.
(b) A groundhog.
(c) A rabbit.
(d) A partridge.
2. What part of his body does Matt hurt with his new hunting tool?
(a) His elbow.
(b) His thumb.
(c) His shoulder.
(d) The heel of his hand.
3. What is it in the story of Robinson Crusoe that angered Attean?
(a) Reading about a "savage" kneeling to a white man.
(b) Reading about a "savage" serving a white man.
(c) Reading about a "savage" rescuing a white man from the sea.
(d) Reading about a "savage" learning a white man's language.
4. Why does Attean have a problem with Matt's sitting next to him?
(a) Attean feels that Matt talks too loud.
(b) Attean does not want Matt so close.
(c) Attean says he wants to stand.
(d) Attean mistrusts Matt.
5. What animal does Matt want to be his next target?
(a) A rabbit.
(b) A squirrel.
(c) A muskrat.
(d) A hedgehog.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Matt think of the difficulty of climbing the tree that has bees in it?
2. What part of Robinson Crusoe does Matt begin Attean's lesson on the the second day of reading classes?
3. Who is Aremus?
4. After the cabin break-in, what food does Matt find that he is particularly tired of?
5. What does the stranger admire and say that is "worth a passel of beaver"?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain why the reader senses that Matt's rescuer is kind and that Matt is safe.
2. How might one evaluate the stories Ben tells of living with the Indians and fighting the French?
3. Some might say that by heeding his father's advice Matt makes a mistake. How might one blame Matt's father for Matt being duped?
4. Attean, to say the least, is uncooperative in his first reading lesson. Explain his behavior and the feelings behind this behavior.
5. Why does Matt blame himself for the bear's intrusion into his cabin?
6. Compare or contrast Attean and Matt as students.
7. How does Matt's remark about shooting squirrels remind the reader that Matt is still a child?
8. What does Matt reveal in the narration that reveals how sensitive he is to being without a gun?
9. In what ways does Matt reveal his maturity in this first chapter?
10. How is Matt's experience of learning how to make a bow different from the other hunting lessons of Attean so far in the story?
This section contains 868 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)