|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Now that it is winter, how does Matt fish?
(a) He plants nets below the ice and then axes the ice to check nets.
(b) He jumps up and down on the ice and they swim to the thawed parts.
(c) He finds shallow springs that never froze and spears fish there.
(d) He digs a hole through the ice and dropps his line through it.
2. Who sends Matt a basket of maple sugar?
(b) Attean's grandmother.
(c) Attean's sister.
3. On this day that he has trouble opening the door, what food that his mother makes does Matt miss?
(b) Roast beef.
(c) Roast pork.
(d) Roast chicken.
4. As winter approaches, what does Matt cut and dry that he thinks would be good for pie making?
5. When Matt is alone and feeling lonely, what does Matt imagine might have happened to his father?
(a) He might have met up with a bear.
(b) He might have difficulty with the Indians.
(c) He might have been slowed down because of travelling with his wife and another child.
(d) He might have encountered bad weather.
6. From what does Matt make a pair of mittens for himself?
7. When Matt and Attean are talking about the animal in the trap, what does Attean say that white men trap for?
(a) Animal skeletons.
(b) Animal meat.
(c) Animal skin.
(d) The total animal.
8. In what game that he plays with the Indians is Matt most successful?
(a) Gambling with disks.
(b) Racing in the water.
(d) The gme with a long bat and ball.
9. What is Attean permitted to eat during his stay alone in the forest?
(a) Nuts and berries.
(b) Salt-dried meat.
(d) Smoked fish.
10. At the beginning of Chapter 24, Mat gazes up to the sky and talks to the dog. What does he talk about?
(b) The scarcity of meat.
(c) The coming snow.
(d) His loneliness.
11. Who makes Matt a new pair of snowshoes?
(a) Attean's grandmother.
(d) Attean's sister.
12. Seconds before Matt and Attean encounter the bear, what makes Attean first sense danger?
(a) The sound of something moving slowly.
(b) The sound of something moving quickly.
(c) The sound of a cry.
(d) The branches moving.
13. What does Attean teach Matt that he could make a rain cape from?
(a) Rabbit hide.
(b) Beaver skin.
(c) Fox hide.
14. What emotion does Matt imagine he sees in Attean's eyes?
15. What does Matt really love to have to add to his fish and make it taste delicious?
(b) Animal fat.
(c) His mother's special sauce.
Short Answer Questions
1. Before Attean leaves Matt, what gift does Matt give Attean?
2. What kind of story did Attean's story of Great Spirit make Matt think of?
3. What does Matt temporarily "lose" in the gambling game he plays with the Indian boys?
4. At the celebration, what story does Attean tell to the villagers that are assembled?
5. What happens at the end of the day to Matt's shirt?
This section contains 558 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)