|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Matt really love to have to add to his fish and make it taste delicious?
(b) Animal fat.
(d) His mother's special sauce.
2. What happens at the end of the day to Matt's shirt?
(a) It is repaired by a woman because it was torn earlier in play.
(b) It is returned to him.
(c) It is taken from him as an intitiation.
(d) It is replaced by a new suede shirt.
3. At the beginning of Chapter 15, what animal does Matt successfully kill with his bow and arrow?
(a) A fox.
(b) A squirrel.
(c) A beaver.
(d) A rabbit.
4. What does Matt wish Attean had given him to show his father upon his return?
(a) A bear ear.
(b) A bear claw.
(c) A bear's tooth.
(d) A piece of bear skin.
5. When Matt is alone and feeling lonely, what does Matt imagine might have happened to his father?
(a) He might have met up with a bear.
(b) He might have been slowed down because of travelling with his wife and another child.
(c) He might have difficulty with the Indians.
(d) He might have encountered bad weather.
6. From what does Matt make a pair of mittens for himself?
7. What does Attean do as he leaves Matt at the cabin in Chapter 21?
(a) He extends his hand to shake hands.
(b) He gives him a small gift in a leather pouch.
(c) He hugs Matt and calls him his brother.
(d) He just walks out.
8. When Mat finally makes it outside, he does so by making a kind of tool that is similar to what?
(a) A shovel.
(b) A spoon.
(c) A saw.
(d) A blade.
9. What is one of the food preparations that Matt learns from the Indian women?
(a) Making stew from deer.
(b) Drying berries.
(c) Making corn chowder.
(d) Baking corn muffins.
10. After Attean visits with his grandfather, with whom does Attean return a few days later?
(a) His sister.
(b) His grandfather.
(c) His dog.
(d) Another white boy.
11. On this early autumn visit to Matt's cabin, what does Attean tell Matt the Indian men are preparing to hunt?
(a) Deer and elk.
(b) Caribou and moose.
(c) Bear and moose.
12. What English word does Attean offer as a rough translation of his word "manitou"?
13. What does Matt temporarily "lose" in the gambling game he plays with the Indian boys?
(a) His shoes.
(b) His belt.
(c) His shirt.
(d) His pen knife.
14. When Matt first arrives at the village, how does he react to the smells from the cooking?
(a) He becomes lighted-headed.
(b) He becomes frightened that he will have to eat this food that he smells.
(c) He becomes curious.
(d) He become very hungry.
15. On this day that he has trouble opening the door, what food that his mother makes does Matt miss?
(a) Roast beef.
(c) Roast pork.
(d) Roast chicken.
Short Answer Questions
1. What prevents Matt from opening the cabin door to go outside?
2. At the beginning of Chapter 24, Mat gazes up to the sky and talks to the dog. What does he talk about?
3. As Matt and Attean take leave of each other, who does Matt say he would like Attean's grandfather to meet?
4. When Attean visits Matt after his manitou, what is he carrying?
5. When Matt and Attean are hiking in the woods, they come upon a trap. Of what is the trap made?
This section contains 579 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)