|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Matt and Attean are talking about the animal in the trap, what does Attean say that white men trap for?
(a) Animal skeletons.
(b) The total animal.
(c) Animal meat.
(d) Animal skin.
2. As Matt thinks about the time of year, what day does he think most about?
(a) His birthday.
(b) His sister, Sarah's irthday.
3. When Attean visits Matt after his manitou, who accompanies him?
(a) His grandmother.
(c) The group of boys he played with at the village.
(d) His sister.
4. What animal is in the trap that they come upon?
(a) A fox.
(b) A rabbit.
(c) A beaver.
(d) A squirrel.
5. How many arrows does Attean use to kill the bear?
6. Once Matt is finished outside, he relaxes with a cup of tea. From what does he make this tea?
(a) Pine cones.
(b) Spruce needles.
7. Who sends Matt a basket of maple sugar?
(a) Attean's grandmother.
(d) Attean's sister.
8. What is Attean permitted to eat during his stay alone in the forest?
(a) Smoked fish.
(b) Nuts and berries.
(d) Salt-dried meat.
9. When Matt goes to the Indian village for Attean and does not find Attean, who does Matt ask for?
(a) Attean's sister.
(b) Attean's brother.
(c) Attean's grandmother.
10. As winter approaches, what does Matt cut and dry that he thinks would be good for pie making?
11. As winter approaches, what does Matt use to fill in the cracks between the logs in the cabin?
(a) Bear grease and fur paste.
(b) Corn paste.
(d) Cement made from stones.
12. What does Matt wish Attean had given him to show his father upon his return?
(a) A bear's tooth.
(b) A piece of bear skin.
(c) A bear claw.
(d) A bear ear.
13. What does Matt say that he thought of the Indian way of life before he actually visited them?
(a) He thought they were mean.
(b) He thought they were dull.
(c) He thought they were impolite.
(d) He thought they were always hunting.
14. For what reason does Matt think Attean returns each day?
(a) Attean was lonely.
(b) Attean enjoyed making Matt look foolish.
(c) Attean's grandfather sent him.
(d) Attean enjoyed teaching Matt.
15. When Matt is alone and feeling lonely, what does Matt imagine might have happened to his father?
(a) He might have met up with a bear.
(b) He might have encountered bad weather.
(c) He might have difficulty with the Indians.
(d) He might have been slowed down because of travelling with his wife and another child.
Short Answer Questions
1. What word best describes Matt's thoughts as soon as Attean and the fellow visitor leave?
2. Seconds before Matt and Attean encounter the bear, what makes Attean first sense danger?
3. In addition to mittens, what else does Matt want fur for?
4. As Matt realizes it is September, what sign of fall does he NOT encounter?
5. As Matt and Attean take leave of each other, who does Matt say he would like Attean's grandfather to meet?
This section contains 539 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)