|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How doesMatt first become aware of an animal being in danger?
(a) He hears an animal cry.
(b) He smells blood.
(c) He sees the dog in the trap.
(d) He senses danger.
2. When Matt wakes up after the celebration at Attean's village, what does Matt NOT see hanging or laying around?
(a) Animal bones.
(b) Fish bones.
(c) Clam shells.
(d) Animal skin rugs.
3. What does Matt wish Attean had given him to show his father upon his return?
(a) A bear's tooth.
(b) A piece of bear skin.
(c) A bear ear.
(d) A bear claw.
4. When Matt hears of the atrocities that take place here in this territory, who does he think of and fear for?
(a) His father.
(c) His brother.
(d) His mother.
5. What happens at the end of the day to Matt's shirt?
(a) It is taken from him as an intitiation.
(b) It is replaced by a new suede shirt.
(c) It is repaired by a woman because it was torn earlier in play.
(d) It is returned to him.
6. What does Attean bring Matt for breakfast on the morning after the celebration?
(a) Hard-boiled eggs.
(b) Porridge with fruit.
(c) Bear stew.
7. What kind of story did Attean's story of Great Spirit make Matt think of?
(a) A folk tale.
(b) A tall tale.
(c) A sermon.
(d) A psalm.
8. In what game that he plays with the Indians is Matt most successful?
(a) Racing in the water.
(b) Gambling with disks.
(c) The gme with a long bat and ball.
9. When Attean visits Matt after his manitou, who accompanies him?
(a) His sister.
(c) The group of boys he played with at the village.
(d) His grandmother.
10. On this early autumn visit to Matt's cabin, what does Attean tell Matt the Indian men are preparing to hunt?
(b) Caribou and moose.
(c) Deer and elk.
(d) Bear and moose.
11. What emotion does Matt imagine he sees in Attean's eyes?
12. Before Attean leaves Matt, what gift does Attean give Matt?
(a) A rifle.
(b) His dog.
(c) A finely made bow and quiver of arrows.
(d) A bear fur rug.
13. After Matt's fun-filled day at Attean's village, how long does Matt wait before he sees Attean again?
(a) About 2 weeks.
(b) About 1 week.
(c) About 4 days.
(d) About 3 months.
14. What does Matt temporarily "lose" in the gambling game he plays with the Indian boys?
(a) His shoes.
(b) His belt.
(c) His pen knife.
(d) His shirt.
15. Seconds before Matt and Attean encounter the bear, what makes Attean first sense danger?
(a) The sound of something moving quickly.
(b) The sound of a cry.
(c) The sound of something moving slowly.
(d) The branches moving.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is one of the food preparations that Matt learns from the Indian women?
2. As Matt realizes it is September, what sign of fall does he NOT encounter?
3. As winter approaches, what does Matt cut and dry that he thinks would be good for pie making?
4. When Attean tells Matt of the hardships his people faced, what is the reason he says that white men kill Indian people for?
5. What prevents Matt from opening the cabin door to go outside?
This section contains 535 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)