|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Attean tells Matt of the hardships his people faced, what is the reason he says that white men kill Indian people for?
(a) Their possessions.
(c) Their scalps.
2. On this day that he has trouble opening the door, what food that his mother makes does Matt miss?
(a) Roast beef.
(c) Roast pork.
(d) Roast chicken.
3. What does Attean teach Matt that he could make a rain cape from?
(b) Fox hide.
(c) Rabbit hide.
(d) Beaver skin.
4. As Matt and Attean take leave of each other, who does Matt say he would like Attean's grandfather to meet?
(a) The governor of Massachusetts.
(b) Matt's father.
(c) Ben, the man who stole his gun.
(d) Matt's mother.
5. In addition to mittens, what else does Matt want fur for?
(a) Mittens for his father.
(b) A hat.
(c) Mittens for his sister.
(d) A jacket.
6. Who is Gluskabe?
(a) The story teller of people of the beaver.
(b) Attean's friend.
(c) Attean's brother.
(d) The Indian's Great Spirit.
7. For what reason does Matt think Attean returns each day?
(a) Attean enjoyed making Matt look foolish.
(b) Attean was lonely.
(c) Attean enjoyed teaching Matt.
(d) Attean's grandfather sent him.
8. What prevents Matt from opening the cabin door to go outside?
9. When Matt goes to the Indian village for Attean and does not find Attean, who does Matt ask for?
(a) Attean's brother.
(c) Attean's grandmother.
(d) Attean's sister.
10. Approximately how long does it take Matt and Attean to reach Attean's village from Matt's cabin?
(a) A little more than three hours.
(b) Half an hour.
(c) A little more than two hours.
(d) A little more than one hour.
11. Now that it is winter, how does Matt fish?
(a) He jumps up and down on the ice and they swim to the thawed parts.
(b) He digs a hole through the ice and dropps his line through it.
(c) He finds shallow springs that never froze and spears fish there.
(d) He plants nets below the ice and then axes the ice to check nets.
12. What does Matt really love to have to add to his fish and make it taste delicious?
(a) Animal fat.
(d) His mother's special sauce.
13. What is one of the food preparations that Matt learns from the Indian women?
(a) Drying berries.
(b) Making corn chowder.
(c) Making stew from deer.
(d) Baking corn muffins.
14. What English word does Attean offer as a rough translation of his word "manitou"?
15. When Attean visits Matt after his manitou, who accompanies him?
(a) His sister.
(b) The group of boys he played with at the village.
(d) His grandmother.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Mat finally makes it outside, he does so by making a kind of tool that is similar to what?
2. Why does Matt hesitate to ask Attean for more stories?
3. When Matt wakes up after the celebration at Attean's village, what does Matt NOT see hanging or laying around?
4. What does Matt feel as he leaves Attean's grandmother after the day at the village?
5. Who sends Matt a basket of maple sugar?
This section contains 548 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)