|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Matt hesitate to ask Attean for more stories?
(a) Matt can't understand Attean's English.
(b) Matt wants to get back to cabin to see if his family has arrived.
(c) Matt thinks Attean is too proud of himself already.
(d) Matt thinks it might be impolite.
2. What does Matt temporarily "lose" in the gambling game he plays with the Indian boys?
(a) His shirt.
(b) His shoes.
(c) His belt.
(d) His pen knife.
3. How doesMatt first become aware of an animal being in danger?
(a) He hears an animal cry.
(b) He sees the dog in the trap.
(c) He smells blood.
(d) He senses danger.
4. If Attean does not come back to the village having completed his tasks successfully, how will his village view him?
(a) As an unskilled hunter.
(b) As a boy.
(c) As a failure.
(d) As a coward.
5. On this early autumn visit to Matt's cabin, what does Attean tell Matt the Indian men are preparing to hunt?
(a) Bear and moose.
(b) Deer and elk.
(c) Caribou and moose.
6. On this particular visit to Matt's cabin, what is Matt warned of?
(a) His father not coming.
(b) Hostile men in the woods who may harm him.
(c) An early winter.
(d) Difficulty catching food.
7. When Matt first learns that he is invited to the Indian village after the dog rescue, why does he think he is invited?
(b) Cooking Lessons.
8. What happens at the end of the day to Matt's shirt?
(a) It is taken from him as an intitiation.
(b) It is repaired by a woman because it was torn earlier in play.
(c) It is replaced by a new suede shirt.
(d) It is returned to him.
9. When Attean tells Matt that he and his family are leaving, what is the reason he gives Attean for their departure?
(a) They want to move to a warmer climate.
(b) They must move to a better hunting ground.
(c) They are tired of warring with the people of the turtle.
(d) They want to move to a more popuatled area.
10. When Attean visits Matt after his manitou, who accompanies him?
(a) His sister.
(b) The group of boys he played with at the village.
(c) His grandmother.
11. When Matt first arrives at the village, how does he react to the smells from the cooking?
(a) He become very hungry.
(b) He becomes frightened that he will have to eat this food that he smells.
(c) He becomes curious.
(d) He becomes lighted-headed.
12. On this day that he has trouble opening the door, what food that his mother makes does Matt miss?
(a) Roast chicken.
(b) Roast pork.
(d) Roast beef.
13. Who does Attean say will come to cut up and clean the bear?
(a) His brothers.
(b) His grandfather.
(c) The elders of the camp.
(d) The women of the camp.
14. When Matt daydreams of being a hero to Attean, what does he imagine rescuing Attean from?
(a) A bear, a panther or a rattlesnake.
(b) A pack of bears.
(c) A pack of fox.
(d) A pack of hyenas.
15. What does Matt really love to have to add to his fish and make it taste delicious?
(b) Animal fat.
(d) His mother's special sauce.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who makes Matt a new pair of snowshoes?
2. What do the rescuers use to prevent the dog from biting while they get it out of the trap?
3. What does Attean bring Matt for breakfast on the morning after the celebration?
4. After Attean visits with his grandfather, with whom does Attean return a few days later?
5. What is one of the food preparations that Matt learns from the Indian women?
This section contains 613 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)