|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In the morning at the village, what makes the thumping sound that Matt notices?
(a) Boys jumping on a crude trampoline.
(b) Women grinding fish bones for ceramics.
(c) Women mortaring corn into meal.
(d) Boys beating small drums.
2. At the beginning of Chapter 24, Mat gazes up to the sky and talks to the dog. What does he talk about?
(a) His loneliness.
(b) The scarcity of meat.
(c) The coming snow.
3. When Matt first learns that he is invited to the Indian village after the dog rescue, why does he think he is invited?
(c) Cooking Lessons.
4. What does Attean do as he leaves Matt at the cabin in Chapter 21?
(a) He hugs Matt and calls him his brother.
(b) He gives him a small gift in a leather pouch.
(c) He just walks out.
(d) He extends his hand to shake hands.
5. When Matt wakes up after the celebration at Attean's village, what does Matt NOT see hanging or laying around?
(a) Clam shells.
(b) Animal skin rugs.
(c) Animal bones.
(d) Fish bones.
6. Who does Attean say will come to cut up and clean the bear?
(a) His grandfather.
(b) The elders of the camp.
(c) His brothers.
(d) The women of the camp.
7. Once Matt is finished outside, he relaxes with a cup of tea. From what does he make this tea?
(b) Spruce needles.
(d) Pine cones.
8. As Matt and Attean take leave of each other, who does Matt say he would like Attean's grandfather to meet?
(a) Matt's mother.
(b) Matt's father.
(c) Ben, the man who stole his gun.
(d) The governor of Massachusetts.
9. What emotion does Matt imagine he sees in Attean's eyes?
10. When Matt walks in the woods, how does he find his way?
(a) He makes cuts in the trees.
(b) He leaves belongings on the trail.
(c) He drew on the trees.
(d) He memorizes the route.
11. What kind of story did Attean's story of Great Spirit make Matt think of?
(a) A psalm.
(b) A folk tale.
(c) A sermon.
(d) A tall tale.
12. At the celebration, what story does Attean tell to the villagers that are assembled?
(a) The story of Robinson Crusoe.
(b) The story of the killing the bear.
(c) The story of David and Goliath.
(d) The story of Noah's Ark.
13. Why does Matt hesitate to ask Attean for more stories?
(a) Matt wants to get back to cabin to see if his family has arrived.
(b) Matt can't understand Attean's English.
(c) Matt thinks it might be impolite.
(d) Matt thinks Attean is too proud of himself already.
14. When Matt goes to the Indian village for Attean and does not find Attean, who does Matt ask for?
(a) Attean's sister.
(c) Attean's brother.
(d) Attean's grandmother.
15. How many arrows does Attean use to kill the bear?
Short Answer Questions
1. When Attean visits Matt after his manitou, who accompanies him?
2. When Matt is alone and feeling lonely, what does Matt imagine might have happened to his father?
3. When Attean tells Matt of the hardships his people faced, what is the reason he says that white men kill Indian people for?
4. What does Attean teach Matt that he could make a rain cape from?
5. From what does Matt make a pair of mittens for himself?
This section contains 585 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)