|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens at the end of the day to Matt's shirt?
(a) It is replaced by a new suede shirt.
(b) It is repaired by a woman because it was torn earlier in play.
(c) It is returned to him.
(d) It is taken from him as an intitiation.
2. When Mat finally makes it outside, he does so by making a kind of tool that is similar to what?
(a) A saw.
(b) A shovel.
(c) A blade.
(d) A spoon.
3. When Matt hears of the atrocities that take place here in this territory, who does he think of and fear for?
(a) His brother.
(b) His father.
(c) His mother.
4. Who makes Matt a new pair of snowshoes?
(b) Attean's sister.
(c) Attean's grandmother.
5. On this day that he has trouble opening the door, what food that his mother makes does Matt miss?
(a) Roast beef.
(b) Roast pork.
(d) Roast chicken.
6. As winter approaches, what does Matt use to fill in the cracks between the logs in the cabin?
(a) Corn paste.
(c) Cement made from stones.
(d) Bear grease and fur paste.
7. What is the next book that Matt has to get his adventures from?
(a) Leaves of Grass.
(b) Swiss Family Robinson.
(c) Around the World in Eighty Days.
(d) The Bible.
8. As Matt realizes it is September, what sign of fall does he NOT encounter?
(a) The woods becoming quieter.
(b) Maple leaves turning red.
(c) Geese flying south.
(d) Indian children on their way to school.
9. Once Matt is finished outside, he relaxes with a cup of tea. From what does he make this tea?
(a) Pine cones.
(c) Spruce needles.
10. On this particular visit to Matt's cabin, what is Matt warned of?
(a) Hostile men in the woods who may harm him.
(b) His father not coming.
(c) Difficulty catching food.
(d) An early winter.
11. What kind of story did Attean's story of Great Spirit make Matt think of?
(a) A sermon.
(b) A folk tale.
(c) A tall tale.
(d) A psalm.
12. Why does Matt hesitate to ask Attean for more stories?
(a) Matt thinks Attean is too proud of himself already.
(b) Matt can't understand Attean's English.
(c) Matt thinks it might be impolite.
(d) Matt wants to get back to cabin to see if his family has arrived.
13. When Matt and Attean are hiking in the woods, they come upon a trap. Of what is the trap made?
14. For what reason does Matt think Attean returns each day?
(a) Attean's grandfather sent him.
(b) Attean enjoyed making Matt look foolish.
(c) Attean enjoyed teaching Matt.
(d) Attean was lonely.
15. When Matt is alone and feeling lonely, what does Matt imagine might have happened to his father?
(a) He might have difficulty with the Indians.
(b) He might have encountered bad weather.
(c) He might have met up with a bear.
(d) He might have been slowed down because of travelling with his wife and another child.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Matt feel as he leaves Attean's grandmother after the day at the village?
2. From what does Matt make a pair of mittens for himself?
3. Now that it is winter, how does Matt fish?
4. Seconds before Matt and Attean encounter the bear, what makes Attean first sense danger?
5. When Matt daydreams of being a hero to Attean, what does he imagine rescuing Attean from?
This section contains 625 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)