|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Matt say that he thought of the Indian way of life before he actually visited them?
(a) He thought they were mean.
(b) He thought they were always hunting.
(c) He thought they were dull.
(d) He thought they were impolite.
2. When Matt and Attean are hiking in the woods, they come upon a trap. Of what is the trap made?
3. For what reason does Matt think Attean returns each day?
(a) Attean enjoyed teaching Matt.
(b) Attean's grandfather sent him.
(c) Attean was lonely.
(d) Attean enjoyed making Matt look foolish.
4. As winter approaches, what does Matt cut and dry that he thinks would be good for pie making?
5. In addition to mittens, what else does Matt want fur for?
(a) A jacket.
(b) Mittens for his sister.
(c) A hat.
(d) Mittens for his father.
6. When Attean appears with paint on his skin, what does Matt think?
(a) He thinks Attean is painted to scare Matt.
(b) He thinks Attean is painted for war.
(c) He thinks Attean has gone mad.
(d) He thinks Attean is painted for a celebration.
7. What is one of the food preparations that Matt learns from the Indian women?
(a) Drying berries.
(b) Baking corn muffins.
(c) Making stew from deer.
(d) Making corn chowder.
8. From what does Matt make a pair of mittens for himself?
9. In the morning at the village, what makes the thumping sound that Matt notices?
(a) Boys beating small drums.
(b) Women grinding fish bones for ceramics.
(c) Women mortaring corn into meal.
(d) Boys jumping on a crude trampoline.
10. On this early autumn visit to Matt's cabin, what does Attean tell Matt the Indian men are preparing to hunt?
(a) Bear and moose.
(c) Caribou and moose.
(d) Deer and elk.
11. What does Matt feel as he leaves Attean's grandmother after the day at the village?
(c) Desire to stay.
12. On this day that he has trouble opening the door, what food that his mother makes does Matt miss?
(a) Roast chicken.
(b) Roast beef.
(d) Roast pork.
13. At the beginning of Chapter 15, what animal does Matt successfully kill with his bow and arrow?
(a) A fox.
(b) A beaver.
(c) A squirrel.
(d) A rabbit.
14. When Matt goes to the Indian village for Attean and does not find Attean, who does Matt ask for?
(a) Attean's grandmother.
(b) Attean's brother.
(c) Attean's sister.
15. What does Attean teach Matt that he could make a rain cape from?
(a) Beaver skin.
(c) Fox hide.
(d) Rabbit hide.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the rescuers use to prevent the dog from biting while they get it out of the trap?
2. What word best describes Matt's thoughts as soon as Attean and the fellow visitor leave?
3. When Attean visits Matt after his manitou, who accompanies him?
4. When Attean tells Matt of the hardships his people faced, what is the reason he says that white men kill Indian people for?
5. When Matt is alone and feeling lonely, what does Matt imagine might have happened to his father?
This section contains 553 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)