|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Now that it is winter, how does Matt fish?
(a) He plants nets below the ice and then axes the ice to check nets.
(b) He digs a hole through the ice and dropps his line through it.
(c) He finds shallow springs that never froze and spears fish there.
(d) He jumps up and down on the ice and they swim to the thawed parts.
2. When Matt goes to the Indian village for Attean and does not find Attean, who does Matt ask for?
(a) Attean's grandmother.
(b) Attean's sister.
(c) Attean's brother.
3. On this early autumn visit to Matt's cabin, what does Attean tell Matt the Indian men are preparing to hunt?
(a) Bear and moose.
(b) Deer and elk.
(c) Caribou and moose.
4. What is one of the food preparations that Matt learns from the Indian women?
(a) Making corn chowder.
(b) Making stew from deer.
(c) Drying berries.
(d) Baking corn muffins.
5. Who does Attean say will come to cut up and clean the bear?
(a) His grandfather.
(b) The elders of the camp.
(c) His brothers.
(d) The women of the camp.
6. When Attean visits Matt after his manitou, what is he carrying?
(a) Matt's stolen rifle.
(b) A shiny new rifle.
(c) Fresh caribou meat.
(d) Fresh elk steaks.
7. Who makes Matt a new pair of snowshoes?
(b) Attean's grandmother.
(c) Attean's sister.
8. When Matt is alone and feeling lonely, what does Matt imagine might have happened to his father?
(a) He might have been slowed down because of travelling with his wife and another child.
(b) He might have met up with a bear.
(c) He might have difficulty with the Indians.
(d) He might have encountered bad weather.
9. Once Matt is finished outside, he relaxes with a cup of tea. From what does he make this tea?
(c) Spruce needles.
(d) Pine cones.
10. What is the next book that Matt has to get his adventures from?
(a) Swiss Family Robinson.
(b) Around the World in Eighty Days.
(c) Leaves of Grass.
(d) The Bible.
11. What does Matt temporarily "lose" in the gambling game he plays with the Indian boys?
(a) His shirt.
(b) His belt.
(c) His shoes.
(d) His pen knife.
12. What is Attean permitted to eat during his stay alone in the forest?
(b) Salt-dried meat.
(c) Smoked fish.
(d) Nuts and berries.
13. What is suggested to Matt that will enable him to go on the hunt and not worry his father?
(a) Attean's sister and another woman will cabin-sit.
(b) Attean's grandmother will send Attean's sister to check on Matt's cabin.
(c) Matt leave a note for his father.
(d) The hunting party will retrace steps weekly to check for father's arrival.
14. As Matt and Attean take leave of each other, who does Matt say he would like Attean's grandfather to meet?
(a) Ben, the man who stole his gun.
(b) Matt's mother.
(c) Matt's father.
(d) The governor of Massachusetts.
15. When Matt finally finishes telling the story of Robinson Crusoe to Attean, what does Attean say?
(a) "You're kidding me."
(c) "Too bad."
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of story did Attean's story of Great Spirit make Matt think of?
2. How doesMatt first become aware of an animal being in danger?
3. What word best describes Matt's thoughts as soon as Attean and the fellow visitor leave?
4. After Attean visits with his grandfather, with whom does Attean return a few days later?
5. Before Attean leaves Matt, what gift does Matt give Attean?
This section contains 587 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)