|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What English word does Attean offer as a rough translation of his word "manitou"?
2. At the beginning of Chapter 24, Mat gazes up to the sky and talks to the dog. What does he talk about?
(b) The coming snow.
(c) His loneliness.
(d) The scarcity of meat.
3. On this particular visit to Matt's cabin, what is Matt warned of?
(a) An early winter.
(b) Difficulty catching food.
(c) Hostile men in the woods who may harm him.
(d) His father not coming.
4. What do the rescuers use to prevent the dog from biting while they get it out of the trap?
(a) A blanket.
(b) A sport pole;
(c) A hatchet.
(d) An arrow.
5. What emotion does Matt imagine he sees in Attean's eyes?
6. Who sends Matt a basket of maple sugar?
(a) Attean's sister.
(c) Attean's grandmother.
7. What does Attean teach Matt that he could make a rain cape from?
(a) Fox hide.
(c) Rabbit hide.
(d) Beaver skin.
8. What does Matt wish Attean had given him to show his father upon his return?
(a) A bear's tooth.
(b) A piece of bear skin.
(c) A bear ear.
(d) A bear claw.
9. What does Attean bring Matt for breakfast on the morning after the celebration?
(b) Porridge with fruit.
(c) Hard-boiled eggs.
(d) Bear stew.
10. When Matt hears of the atrocities that take place here in this territory, who does he think of and fear for?
(a) His mother.
(c) His father.
(d) His brother.
11. When Matt wakes up after the celebration at Attean's village, what does Matt NOT see hanging or laying around?
(a) Animal skin rugs.
(b) Clam shells.
(c) Fish bones.
(d) Animal bones.
12. Seconds before Matt and Attean encounter the bear, what makes Attean first sense danger?
(a) The sound of a cry.
(b) The sound of something moving quickly.
(c) The sound of something moving slowly.
(d) The branches moving.
13. As winter approaches, what does Matt use to fill in the cracks between the logs in the cabin?
(a) Bear grease and fur paste.
(b) Cement made from stones.
(d) Corn paste.
14. What does Matt really love to have to add to his fish and make it taste delicious?
(a) Animal fat.
(c) His mother's special sauce.
15. If Attean does not come back to the village having completed his tasks successfully, how will his village view him?
(a) As a boy.
(b) As a coward.
(c) As a failure.
(d) As an unskilled hunter.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Attean visits Matt after his manitou, what is he carrying?
2. Who makes Matt a new pair of snowshoes?
3. From what does Matt make a pair of mittens for himself?
4. What does Attean do as he leaves Matt at the cabin in Chapter 21?
5. What is one of the food preparations that Matt learns from the Indian women?
This section contains 505 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)