|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do the rescuers use to prevent the dog from biting while they get it out of the trap?
(a) A hatchet.
(b) A blanket.
(c) A sport pole;
(d) An arrow.
2. After Matt's fun-filled day at Attean's village, how long does Matt wait before he sees Attean again?
(a) About 4 days.
(b) About 1 week.
(c) About 3 months.
(d) About 2 weeks.
3. Who does Attean say will come to cut up and clean the bear?
(a) His brothers.
(b) The elders of the camp.
(c) The women of the camp.
(d) His grandfather.
4. What does Attean bring Matt for breakfast on the morning after the celebration?
(a) Bear stew.
(b) Porridge with fruit.
(d) Hard-boiled eggs.
5. At the beginning of Chapter 15, what animal does Matt successfully kill with his bow and arrow?
(a) A squirrel.
(b) A beaver.
(c) A rabbit.
(d) A fox.
6. What does Matt temporarily "lose" in the gambling game he plays with the Indian boys?
(a) His shoes.
(b) His belt.
(c) His pen knife.
(d) His shirt.
7. When Matt first learns that he is invited to the Indian village after the dog rescue, why does he think he is invited?
(c) Cooking Lessons.
8. When Attean visits Matt after his manitou, what is he carrying?
(a) A shiny new rifle.
(b) Fresh caribou meat.
(c) Matt's stolen rifle.
(d) Fresh elk steaks.
9. Once Matt is finished outside, he relaxes with a cup of tea. From what does he make this tea?
(a) Pine cones.
(b) Spruce needles.
10. In the morning at the village, what makes the thumping sound that Matt notices?
(a) Women mortaring corn into meal.
(b) Boys jumping on a crude trampoline.
(c) Boys beating small drums.
(d) Women grinding fish bones for ceramics.
11. Why does Matt hesitate to ask Attean for more stories?
(a) Matt wants to get back to cabin to see if his family has arrived.
(b) Matt thinks Attean is too proud of himself already.
(c) Matt can't understand Attean's English.
(d) Matt thinks it might be impolite.
12. What happens at the end of the day to Matt's shirt?
(a) It is repaired by a woman because it was torn earlier in play.
(b) It is replaced by a new suede shirt.
(c) It is taken from him as an intitiation.
(d) It is returned to him.
13. When Mat finally makes it outside, he does so by making a kind of tool that is similar to what?
(a) A spoon.
(b) A blade.
(c) A shovel.
(d) A saw.
14. If Attean does not come back to the village having completed his tasks successfully, how will his village view him?
(a) As a boy.
(b) As a coward.
(c) As a failure.
(d) As an unskilled hunter.
15. What English word does Attean offer as a rough translation of his word "manitou"?
Short Answer Questions
1. What emotion does Matt imagine he sees in Attean's eyes?
2. When Attean tells Matt that he and his family are leaving, what is the reason he gives Attean for their departure?
3. From what does Matt make a pair of mittens for himself?
4. When Matt walks in the woods, how does he find his way?
5. In what game that he plays with the Indians is Matt most successful?
This section contains 577 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)