|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After Attean visits with his grandfather, with whom does Attean return a few days later?
(a) His grandfather.
(b) His sister.
(c) His dog.
(d) Another white boy.
2. What does Attean do as he leaves Matt at the cabin in Chapter 21?
(a) He just walks out.
(b) He gives him a small gift in a leather pouch.
(c) He extends his hand to shake hands.
(d) He hugs Matt and calls him his brother.
3. What does Attean bring Matt for breakfast on the morning after the celebration?
(a) Porridge with fruit.
(b) Bear stew.
(c) Hard-boiled eggs.
4. In what game that he plays with the Indians is Matt most successful?
(b) Racing in the water.
(c) Gambling with disks.
(d) The gme with a long bat and ball.
5. What happens at the end of the day to Matt's shirt?
(a) It is taken from him as an intitiation.
(b) It is repaired by a woman because it was torn earlier in play.
(c) It is returned to him.
(d) It is replaced by a new suede shirt.
6. As winter approaches, what does Matt cut and dry that he thinks would be good for pie making?
7. What English word does Attean offer as a rough translation of his word "manitou"?
8. At the beginning of Chapter 15, what animal does Matt successfully kill with his bow and arrow?
(a) A beaver.
(b) A rabbit.
(c) A fox.
(d) A squirrel.
9. What emotion does Matt imagine he sees in Attean's eyes?
10. When Matt walks in the woods, how does he find his way?
(a) He leaves belongings on the trail.
(b) He memorizes the route.
(c) He drew on the trees.
(d) He makes cuts in the trees.
11. When Attean visits Matt after his manitou, what is he carrying?
(a) A shiny new rifle.
(b) Fresh caribou meat.
(c) Fresh elk steaks.
(d) Matt's stolen rifle.
12. What does Matt say that he thought of the Indian way of life before he actually visited them?
(a) He thought they were dull.
(b) He thought they were mean.
(c) He thought they were impolite.
(d) He thought they were always hunting.
13. What kind of story did Attean's story of Great Spirit make Matt think of?
(a) A folk tale.
(b) A psalm.
(c) A tall tale.
(d) A sermon.
14. How doesMatt first become aware of an animal being in danger?
(a) He smells blood.
(b) He hears an animal cry.
(c) He senses danger.
(d) He sees the dog in the trap.
15. In the morning at the village, what makes the thumping sound that Matt notices?
(a) Boys beating small drums.
(b) Boys jumping on a crude trampoline.
(c) Women grinding fish bones for ceramics.
(d) Women mortaring corn into meal.
Short Answer Questions
1. As Matt realizes it is September, what sign of fall does he NOT encounter?
2. When Mat finally makes it outside, he does so by making a kind of tool that is similar to what?
3. On this day that he has trouble opening the door, what food that his mother makes does Matt miss?
4. Why does Matt hesitate to ask Attean for more stories?
5. When Matt and Attean are talking about the animal in the trap, what does Attean say that white men trap for?
This section contains 583 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)