|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After Attean visits with his grandfather, with whom does Attean return a few days later?
(a) His dog.
(b) His grandfather.
(c) His sister.
(d) Another white boy.
2. On this particular visit to Matt's cabin, what is Matt warned of?
(a) Hostile men in the woods who may harm him.
(b) His father not coming.
(c) Difficulty catching food.
(d) An early winter.
3. When Matt finally finishes telling the story of Robinson Crusoe to Attean, what does Attean say?
(a) "Too bad."
(d) "You're kidding me."
4. When Matt is alone and feeling lonely, what does Matt imagine might have happened to his father?
(a) He might have met up with a bear.
(b) He might have been slowed down because of travelling with his wife and another child.
(c) He might have difficulty with the Indians.
(d) He might have encountered bad weather.
5. Who does Attean say will come to cut up and clean the bear?
(a) His brothers.
(b) His grandfather.
(c) The women of the camp.
(d) The elders of the camp.
6. When Attean tells Matt of the hardships his people faced, what is the reason he says that white men kill Indian people for?
(a) Their possessions.
(c) Their scalps.
7. When Matt walks in the woods, how does he find his way?
(a) He makes cuts in the trees.
(b) He drew on the trees.
(c) He memorizes the route.
(d) He leaves belongings on the trail.
8. As Matt realizes it is September, what sign of fall does he NOT encounter?
(a) Geese flying south.
(b) Maple leaves turning red.
(c) Indian children on their way to school.
(d) The woods becoming quieter.
9. Who is Gluskabe?
(a) Attean's brother.
(b) The story teller of people of the beaver.
(c) Attean's friend.
(d) The Indian's Great Spirit.
10. What is the next book that Matt has to get his adventures from?
(a) The Bible.
(b) Around the World in Eighty Days.
(c) Leaves of Grass.
(d) Swiss Family Robinson.
11. In addition to mittens, what else does Matt want fur for?
(a) A jacket.
(b) A hat.
(c) Mittens for his sister.
(d) Mittens for his father.
12. When Matt first learns that he is invited to the Indian village after the dog rescue, why does he think he is invited?
(d) Cooking Lessons.
13. Now that it is winter, how does Matt fish?
(a) He jumps up and down on the ice and they swim to the thawed parts.
(b) He plants nets below the ice and then axes the ice to check nets.
(c) He finds shallow springs that never froze and spears fish there.
(d) He digs a hole through the ice and dropps his line through it.
14. In the morning at the village, what makes the thumping sound that Matt notices?
(a) Women mortaring corn into meal.
(b) Women grinding fish bones for ceramics.
(c) Boys beating small drums.
(d) Boys jumping on a crude trampoline.
15. What does Attean do as he leaves Matt at the cabin in Chapter 21?
(a) He extends his hand to shake hands.
(b) He hugs Matt and calls him his brother.
(c) He gives him a small gift in a leather pouch.
(d) He just walks out.
Short Answer Questions
1. As winter approaches, what does Matt cut and dry that he thinks would be good for pie making?
2. What animal is in the trap that they come upon?
3. Approximately how long does it take Matt and Attean to reach Attean's village from Matt's cabin?
4. On this day that he has trouble opening the door, what food that his mother makes does Matt miss?
5. When Attean visits Matt after his manitou, who accompanies him?
This section contains 616 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)