|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Matt try to salvage after the break-in that is now mixed with dirt?
2. Who rescues Matt from the bee attack?
(a) An Indian child.
(b) His father.
(d) An Indian man.
3. How does Matt know that the stranger intends to stay the night?
(a) He slid from the stool and lay down on the floor.
(b) He asked if he could stay.
(c) He fell asleep while Matt was speaking.
(d) He told Matt that if he could stay he would help with chores.
4. What is Attean's preferred method of making arrows?
(a) Rubbing 2 sticks together.
5. What is the first word that Matt hears the stranger speak?
(c) Who's there?
6. Who is it that apparently appreciates how fond Matt is of molasses and made sure he had some molasses in the cabin?
(a) His mother.
(b) His brother.
(c) His father.
(d) His sister.
7. What is Matt's bed made of?
(a) Hemlock boughs.
(b) Spruce boughs.
(d) Oak leaves.
8. When Matt sees the 7 notches on his stick used for measuring time gone by, what month does he judge it is?
9. How often is Matt instructed to cut a notch in the stick?
(a) Twice a day.
(b) Once a week.
(c) Once a day.
(d) Twice a week.
10. At the beginning of Chapter 12, what does Matt wake up and decide he wants?
(a) A deluxe fishing spear.
(b) A javelin to throw.
(c) A bow to hunt with.
(d) His father's rifle back.
11. What kind of trees are used to build their cabin?
12. What does the stranger ask for that Matt doesn't have?
13. Who assures Matt that the local Indians were not to be feared?
(a) His father.
(b) His preacher.
(c) His mother.
(d) His Indian friends from Massachusetts.
14. What is it that Attean had to find before he could teach hunting to Matt?
(a) Dried pine needles.
(b) A vine.
(c) A hole in the ground.
(d) A tree root.
15. After the boys both catch fish, how does Attean start a fire?
(a) From dried pine needles.
(b) From a hollowed out log.
(c) From small twigs.
(d) From a small rock.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the first animal that Matt attempts to shoot?
2. What crop does Matt have to tend to every day in his garden patch?
3. What is the "old blunderbuss" Matt's father speaks of?
4. After the incident with the bees, what is the main source of Matt's pain?
5. Who is with Matt in the woods as the story begins?
This section contains 460 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)