|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the sign of the beaver designate?
(a) A beaver preserve.
(b) The home of Attean.
(c) A historic treaty signing location.
(d) Hunting property of the people of the beaver.
2. What is the one animal that is Matt's goal to shoot?
(a) A bear.
(b) A deer.
(c) A rabbit.
(d) A fox.
3. When Attean explains the meaning of the sign of the beaver, what does Matt think of this meaning?
(a) It is wrong.
(b) It is sensible.
(c) It is difficult to understand.
(d) It is ridiculous.
4. What does Attean make hooks from when Matt loses his fish hook?
(a) A stone.
(b) A piece of wood.
(c) A thistle.
(d) A pine cone.
5. On the first trip that Attean and Matt make into the woods to hunt rabbits, what weapon did Attean bring?
(a) A snare.
(b) A knife.
(c) A dagger.
(d) A bow and arrow.
6. By what name does the stranger introduce himself?
7. Who bakes the johnnycake that Matt eats after hunting?
(a) Matt's mother.
(c) Matt's father.
(d) A local Indian.
8. What is Matt's bed made of?
(a) Hemlock boughs.
(b) Oak leaves.
(c) Spruce boughs.
9. What is it that Attean had to find before he could teach hunting to Matt?
(a) A vine.
(b) A hole in the ground.
(c) A tree root.
(d) Dried pine needles.
10. What does Matt believe that the Indians desire most as treatment from white settlers?
11. How might one characterize the way in which Matt and Attean work together in the forest to create a weapon?
12. How long does Matt estimate that it will take Attean to learn his lessons?
(a) A year.
(b) Three months.
(c) Six months.
(d) Two years.
13. When Ben blames himself for the break-in, what does he specifically blame himself for?
(a) Leaving the aroma of stew near an open window.
(b) Leaving a piece of corn cake on the stoop.
(c) Not barring the door securely.
(d) Not barring the door at all.
14. What is the main source of noise Matt notices in the woods?
(b) Distant gun shots.
(c) His own voice.
15. What is the name of the town where Matt's family lives?
Short Answer Questions
1. Although Matt was discouraged, what does he decide to do after he cleans up after the break in?
2. Why does Attean have a problem with Matt's sitting next to him?
3. What does the stranger ask for that Matt doesn't have?
4. When Attean cooks the fish, how does he get it over the flames?
5. Who is Saknis?
This section contains 491 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)