Short Essay Questions
1. The first relationship the reader witnesses is the one between Matt and his father. Describe their relationship.
2. In what ways does Matt reveal his maturity in this first chapter?
3. How does Matt intend to deal with his loneliness?
4. How does Matt deal with his disappointment in not hitting the red squirrel that he sets out to kill for food?
5. How dies Matt discover that he can overcome his loneliness?
6. How does Matt's father's teachings help Matt when he is alone?
7. How does Matt's garden experience prove to be frustrating?
8. What does the last sentence of the chapter mean, "So he was not so quick-witted as he should have been when unexpectedly someone arrived"?
9. Looking back to how Matt first meets the man who calls himself Ben, what is Matt's first mistake regarding this man?
This section contains 1,108 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)