|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why can't the British destroy the enemy's magazine cache?
(a) The canons no longer work.
(b) It's just out of reach.
(c) They've run out of enough ammunition.
(d) There aren't enough armed British to destroy the cache.
2. What sensible idea did Harry Dunstaple come up with?
(a) planting the ramparts with foliage to secure them.
(b) getting all able-bodied men to shovel at the ramparts.
(c) sacrifice a black goat to pacify the natives.
(d) firing chain shot.
3. What happened to Fleury and Louise?
(a) Louise married a barrister and Fleury remained single.
(b) They married each other and had a number of children.
(c) They parted and married other people.
(d) They both remained single for the rest of their lives.
4. What do the community members keep with them at all times during the cholera epidemic?
(a) their Last Will and Testament.
(b) their Birth Certificate.
(c) a card with their preferred doctor written on it.
(d) the Bible.
5. Fleury was composing a poem about whom in Chapter 20?
(b) the Collector.
(d) Mary Porter.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Fleury and the Collector meet in the late seventies?
2. What does the Collector eat at the end of Chapter 29?
3. What finally kills the sepoy whom Fleury tried to strangle with a violin string?
4. Who shot sparrows and made a curry from them?
5. The Collector opens Hari's phrenology book to the section on what subject?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the seeming snow from the sky which causes confusion to the enemy and allows the men to reload their cannons?
2. Describe the incident of Ram, the sepoy , Fleury and Chloe in Chapter 27.
3. What desperate measure do the people take out of extreme hunger?
4. What does Fleury hear in the morning which he finds beautiful? What is Ram's comment on this and Fleury's thought about it?
5. What does Rayne, who is in charge of the Commissariat, do to enrage the Collector?
6. At the end of Chapter 29 what does the Collector read about in the phrenology book and what does he eat on the way downstairs?
7. What three characters in the novel die in Chapter 18?
8. When Fleury visits the Collector he thinks he has cholera but what does Dr. McNab say the Collector has?
9. What happens on September 12th and why can't the British destroy the enemy's magazine cache?
10. What are some of the desperate measures the people take to obtain food?
This section contains 677 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)